Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Steve Morison

Perhaps his detractors will eat their own form of Mark Lawrenson humble pie too after today''s performance. He was absolutely awesome and made the supposedly "world class" Ashley Williams look like an absolute donkey.

I love Grant Holt as much as anyone (and he was also excellent when he came on) but Morison is more mobile and more skillful. So please no more rubbish about Morison not being able to cut it at this level.

I would like everyone to apologize to me also for how they treated me after i was singing morisons praises from the beginning.

Still big question marks about his composure in the box.

However today was a superb performance, in fact one of the best I''ve seen from a Norwich City centre forward.

The reason the system has worked over the past 4 games is mostly down to Morison up top. His movement, strength and hold up play makes something from very little at times.

He sometimes has that arrogant dimena (sp) which Chris Martin has and that can make him look lazy even though he isn''t if you get my drift.  For example 50/50 balls he looks like he is never going to win them and doesn''t look like he is trying and then all of a sudden he is coming away with the ball at his feet.  I''m not trying to criticise him but this is how it appears to me.  He was excellent today though and it''s a tough role up their on your own and he played it superbly.  However as someone has already said he seems to lack a little bit of composure in the box like when he was through on goal in the first half and the ball was bouncing he decided to try and lob the keeper instead of getting it under his full control.

It''s hard to see Holt or any other striker getting in the team.

I told you he would reach hero status before the season was out. On todays performance he''s already there. Just he shame he couldn''t cap it with a goal but it won''t be lonng before they start going in.

He is improving with every game, thought he was awesome today and totally deserved the MOM award.[:)]

What a game, deserved MoM for Morisson. Great work rate and display. You know you had a good game when you get MoM ahead of a guy scoring a brace!Roll on Liverpool!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Any news on his injury?Worrying to see him hobble off like that.[/quote]Pilkington said it was just cramp in his interview on Canary Player.

excellent to see his effort appreciated

As for goals, if he plays like that and we win who cares if he does not score?

I think he''s done well since the start of hi run as starter, but yesterday was exceptional. Williams will be having nighmares about him for weeks.

Good to see the usual "he''s new so he must be crap " mob have slunk back under their stones.

A fantastic performance, running into the channel, winning balls in the air, bringing the midfield into play, running at the swans centre halves.

An exceptional performance, just needed one of our other players to set him up. He made every chance he had on his own. I thought his long range'' lobbed effort'' was spot on. He has confidence and one thing he has learnt is that you are closed down alot quicker in this division than in the championship. So nothing wrong in having a go, if you don''t shoot you don''t score.

Bet the Liverpool centre halves are genuinely thinking they will get a game against Morison and a fine Norwich City team. Massive 3 points.

Probably the best performance from a striker without a goal I''ve seen. He was making runs, holding it up till other players arrive, beating his men in the air all match, and what a knock down for our first goal! He is going to be a very big player in time for Norwich, and with performances like that, the best forward Ive seen at NCFC (Holt) has no chance of getting back in!

I think nowadays, for the sort of money we can afford, you''re not going to get a 15-20 goal a season striker who also offers as much as Morison did yesterday. You either get an out and out Earnie-style poacher, or you get someone like Morison.

If he can chip in with sort of 7 or 8 goals this season, and continue to offer as much as he did yesterday, then he''ll be more than worth what we paid for him.

I think nowadays, for the sort of money we can afford, you''re not going to get a 15-20 goal a season striker who also offers as much as Morison did yesterday. You either get an out and out Earnie-style poacher, or you get someone like Morison.

If he can chip in with sort of 7 or 8 goals this season, and continue to offer as much as he did yesterday, then he''ll be more than worth what we paid for him.

To be honest it doesnt matter if he isnt scoring if he keeps laying it on a plat for other players like Pilks yesterday! Was an unbeliveable performance from the lad and the defends must have let out a sigh of relief to see him go off... short lived to see Holt come on in his place, who i though put in a good  shift and was very unlucky to not score with that excellent long range effort!

The effort that Morison put in yesterday was suberb. Would love to see him hit the back of the net - certainly deserves it! However he has set up a few so no complaints at all from me!

[quote user="Aggy"]I think nowadays, for the sort of money we can afford, you''re not going to get a 15-20 goal a season striker who also offers as much as Morison did yesterday. You either get an out and out Earnie-style poacher, or you get someone like Morison.

If he can chip in with sort of 7 or 8 goals this season, and continue to offer as much as he did yesterday, then he''ll be more than worth what we paid for him.[/quote]

Only 20 different players have scored 15 premier or more premier legue goals in the last 12 years and only 8 have scored more than 20 in a season. If Morison scored 10 goals in a season his value would be around £10m if he scored 15 that would compare him to the likes of Darren Bent £20m + and then the 20 + are Rooney Ronaldo Shearer Drogba Van Niselroy Henry even Torres has only done it once. 20 + goals in a season makes you worth in todays market £50m - £100m and £150K a week. So if Morison was to score eight that would put him amongst the top scorers.

I am certain he will score goals regularly he just needs people to set him up, unlike him setting up others. He is much more than a striker who sets up others.

As mentioned on a previous post, I prefer a 4-4-2 formation as I do think two strikers build that partnership and bring goals to each other. This system he is likely to get less chances as he may be the only one in the box at times etc.

Hoolahan causes alot of problems but I would like to see him become a little more of a goal threat. It is the smallest and slightest constructive critiscism I can find with this favoured system.

I''d like to see him alongside morison a bit more and becoming that goal threat himself.

But there is no question that with Holt and Morison we have two forwards who have casued centre back pairings this seasons problems. If they did not know about G Holt or Morison they do now

Although early days this seems to be another example of the magic of Lambert. I can''t imagine there were any fans who would have swapped Holt for Morison last year but at the moment Morison is totally justifying his selection. Clearly Holt still has a big part to play in the remainder of the season but for now he looks like he will have to bide his time on the bench.

Dated? I think our current badge is timeless.

Whilst I also would like to see some people''s ideas for a new design, it should definitely be left as it is. I also like the fact that it has no wording on it.

[quote user="Lambert is King"][quote user="Aggy"]I think nowadays, for the sort of money we can afford, you''re not going to get a 15-20 goal a season striker who also offers as much as Morison did yesterday. You either get an out and out Earnie-style poacher, or you get someone like Morison. If he can chip in with sort of 7 or 8 goals this season, and continue to offer as much as he did yesterday, then he''ll be more than worth what we paid for him.[/quote] Only 20 different players have scored 15 premier or more premier legue goals in the last 12 years and only 8 have scored more than 20 in a season. If Morison scored 10 goals in a season his value would be around £10m if he scored 15 that would compare him to the likes of Darren Bent £20m + and then the 20 + are Rooney Ronaldo Shearer Drogba Van Niselroy Henry even Torres has only done it once. 20 + goals in a season makes you worth in todays market £50m - £100m and £150K a week. So if Morison was to score eight that would put him amongst the top scorers.[/quote]

Do you have a list of those 20 players?  I bet there''s some surprising omissions.

Just thinking DJ Campbell got 12 last season didn''t he?

You can''t fault Morison''s effort and commitment.

When Holt came on I thought he was looking a bit slimmer.  Not sure whether he is or if it was just me old eyes playing tricks but I thought you could see it in his face too?[:^)]

Yes I thought he looked slimmer and was impressed with his attitude. Tended not to go down as easily but was great entertainment as he always is e.g. the comedy sketch with the linesman - total quality.

One of our many strengths under Lambo has been the balance and quality of our subs bench. Holty was a good example on Saturday.

[quote user="sgncfc"]

but Morison is more mobile

[/quote]Really? Really though?It''s an interesting debate and I''d love to know other peoples opinions. Personally, I''d say Holt is quicker and alot more mobile. Off the ball Morison seems good, but with the ball at his feet he is just so slow and poor decision making at times.Now don''t get me wrong, Morison played class and I think he deserves to start before Holt, but one thing I''d say is he is slower and less mobile that Holt. I know it''s the Premier League, but Morison has about 3 times already choked in 1 on 1 situations by being indecisive, ending up in chance wasted. Situations in which Holt always seems to be so composed. Anyway I''ve heard Holt isn''t happy at all and might get a move in January. I hope not, although we could possibly get a couple of Million from someone like Leicester. Not saying this is true, but I''ve heard similar and frankly he doesn''t look that happy, but then again never did show it much.

Hate to diagree, Barnett is King, but I find Morison much more mobile (faster) than Holt and I think this is the main reason he is starting ahead of Holt, who is otherwise very similar in style.

Morison had a really great game on Saturday: ran the channels well, won almost everything in the air, and even managed a couple of wrong-footing body feints. A deserved official MOM.

True, Morison has choked on a couple of 1 on 1s, but he has also laid on a couple of tap-ins for Pilkington (Bolton & Swansea). Can''t say that Holt is any better at 1 on 1s, though, except with the odd pie.

I dare say Holt isn''t happy about not starting matches, but he is still a class goal scorer.

Ok, Morrison has the shirt at the moment, but if Holt gets his head right and does what he is good at and gets a chance on the teamsheet - he may be the one thats difficult to shift.

After all, last season there were doubts about him and it took afew weeks for him to acclimatise to the Championship level - and he''s too class an act not to take on board what he needs to do to be effective in the premiership.

Personally, I''m looking forward to him proving the doubters wrong - again. I think people have short memories and are too quick to write off players.

His speed of thought makes up for lack of pace. Some of the goals he scores he out thinks the defenders and then uses his strength and desire to get to the ball first.

Fit and confident he will have a big part to say during the course of the season.

For our season to be successful we will need both Morrison and Holt to be on good form.