Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Russell Martin in Scotland squad

Just looking at the squad as a whole. Is Phil Bardsley a right or left back? And Steven Whittaker plays right back doesn''t he? Great achievement for the man in his pants, I hope he uses it to really push on and establish himself as a Premiership full back.

Well done Russ!! Does anyone reckon he could of made it into the England squad anytime in the near future?? Glen Johnson is pretty poor!! Mind you Micah Richards has had a good season wouldn''t surprise me if he gets more of a chance.

Fully deserved call up for a player that wasn''t considered good enough to get into the Peterborough squad - Posh''s & Englands loss!!!

[quote user="諾維奇城"]Well done Russ!! Does anyone reckon he could of made it into the England squad anytime in the near future??[/quote]Afraid not.I think Russ is a very solid player for us, but compared to other players at England International level, he''s just not there.Glen Johnson on his fay is superb at going forward (and not bad defensively), Micah Richards is very solid whilst still offering an attacking threat, and if we''re looking at young, promising players, there''s also options like Kyle Walker and Martin Kelly, not to mention CB''s who can play out there like Brown and Jagielka...Personally I think the choice to play for Scotland is a good one, and I hope it all goes well for the guy.

Indy Bones, you''ve got it spot on.

Russ is a great player, I''m a huge fan but he''s not good enough for England. Excellent career choice to play for Scotland and good luck to him.

I think he''ll surprise one or two people in the Prem next season but if he turns out to be just an average Premier League defender then that''s a massive rise for a player who nobody seemed to want 18 months ago.

Puts the  posters moaning that he was a bad signing at League One level (you know who you are!) into some sort of perspective.

The lad was good when he arrived and has continued to improve, and I have no doubt that he will do well both at Premiership and International level

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Puts the  posters moaning that he was a bad signing at League One level (you know who you are!) into some sort of perspective.

[/quote]

---

But surely Martin being picked for Scotland[:$][:''(][:$] backs up their argument...[;)][:D][;)]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="諾維奇城"]Well done Russ!! Does anyone reckon he could of made it into the England squad anytime in the near future??[/quote]
Afraid not.

I think Russ is a very solid player for us, but compared to other players at England International level, he''s just not there.

Glen Johnson on his fay is superb at going forward (and not bad defensively), Micah Richards is very solid whilst still offering an attacking threat, and if we''re looking at young, promising players, there''s also options like Kyle Walker and Martin Kelly, not to mention CB''s who can play out there like Brown and Jagielka...

Personally I think the choice to play for Scotland is a good one, and I hope it all goes well for the guy.
[/quote]

If it hadn''t been for the emergence of Kyle Walker and the return to form of Micah Richards then Russell might have had a chance of making it in as a fringe player but with Glen Johnson in there as well it''s very unlikely.

As it goes I don''t think Wes Brown will be considered too often in the future now he''s coming up to 32, at the other end of the spectrum Martin Kelly is very inexperienced and as for Jagielka...well...they can put him at right-back but that doesn''t mean he can play there.

I am one of the people who did doubt Russell Martin.

Fair play to him, nice to have a decent right back, best one we had since Edworthy and Nedergaard.

But just because he had a brilliant season this season doesn''t mean I was wrong to doubt him, he started shakily in his first season at Norwich and yeah he did improve and all the better for Norwich.

Congrats to him, if he plays well this season I think it could be something. He is playing in the Premier League, probably going to play most games and if we do well he will be noticed, I don''t blame him for taking the Scotland call up though, hope people realise how good he is.

OTBC

He really deserves it. Great player.

Don''t think he would have really made the break through into the England side, there is a slight possibility it could have happened, a call up wouldn''t have been out of the question ''if'' he has a good season in the premiership. But he might as well take his chance with Scotland :)

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

But surely Martin being picked for Scotland[:$][:''(][:$] backs up their argument...[;)][:D][;)]

[/quote]

Speaking as someone whose great aunt once touched a haggis at the local butchers I consider myself at least half Scottish and must take you to task over your absurdly racist slur. SEE YOU PAL!!!![;)][8o|][:D]

I see acouple of problems here:

1. Russell has probably been out of training for over a week already, and how shall we say it, participating in off-season frivolity;

2. Ain''t he going to miss the Vegas trip now?

Great news though and good luck. 

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

Speaking as someone whose great aunt once touched a haggis at the local butchers I consider myself at least half Scottish and must take you to task over your absurdly racist slur. SEE YOU PAL!!!![;)][8o|][:D]

[/quote]

According to some of the past reports on here Beauseant you are, shall we say, a little vertically challenged ( strike that word little ). If your comment here is correct then it would suggest the only half you got was the Scottish half, which would go some way to expaining to me why you are so mean on occasions. [;)][:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to some of the past reports on here Beauseant you are, shall we say, a little vertically challenged ( strike that word little ). If your comment here is correct then it would suggest the only half you got was the Scottish half, which would go some way to expaining to me why you are so mean on occasions. [;)][:D]

[/quote]

Indeed Yankee. Fortunately I didn''t get the red hair and predilection for deep fried Mars bar gene [;)][:D]

Maybe part of me is Spanish which could explain my alleged weekly napping of Barca......[;)]

And to everyone at NCISA''s great relief Yankee, he doesnt wear kilt to committee meetings either.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha. like it Robin!.

As for our Russ McMartin not being good enough for England, give me a break.... From what I''ve witnessed of England this last decade, he''d actually be TOO GOOD for us. Haha not good enough for England - England are sh1te!.

But I will concede that being a player caught in just his y-fronts should have surely merited at least a call from Mr Capello.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

1. Russell has probably been out of training for over a week already, and how shall we say it, participating in off-season frivolity;

[/quote]They''re in Vegas now, so he hasn''t missed it, will probably just have to come back earlier then the other lads.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

[/quote] Haha. like it Robin!. As for our Russ McMartin not being good enough for England, give me a break.... From what I''ve witnessed of England this last decade, he''d actually be TOO GOOD for us. Haha not good enough for England - England are sh1te!. But I will concede that being a player caught in just his y-fronts should have surely merited at least a call from Mr Capello.[/quote]

Can I just say, I inspected them quite closely and they were NOT y-fronts.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

I should Russell will have known about this for a couple of weeks at least, so will have been making sure he hasn''t been celebrating too hard. He is going to be 2nd choice right back anyway so will probably get a total of 10mins on the pitch.

I heard the Vegas trip was last weekend and only for a few days so he is probably already back in Norwich.

[quote user="Grant Holts flip flop"]And to everyone at NCISA''s great relief Yankee, he doesnt wear kilt to committee meetings either.[/quote]

That''s a relief for you all Kathy ( I think ). However, does he wait until you are all seated before walking in accompanied by bagpipes?