Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

So what are people actually expecting from next season?

I expect a good old scrap to survive and think we may just do it, between 14th and 17th for me. I''m struggling to believe others who think we''ll be comfortable mid-table tho!

It''s going to be a struggle. I can''t help but feel some people have forgotten how difficult the prem is. In the last two seasons we''ve played both Blackburn and Sunderland reserves and they''ve both had a comfortable win. A lot will depend on which players come in. I also don''t understand why some people think the diamond will catch some teams out, don''t they know about the diamond formation in the prem ? We need more pace in the team, at the moment I can see swansea doing the best out of all of us ( if they come up ) as they have a lot of pace in the side.

Based on the fact we were 1st in L1, 2nd in Championship I reckon we might have to settle ourselves for 3rd next year (because of us being in a higher league)

Joking aside a lot will depend on fitness of key players such as Holt, also our approach, if we try to win and get a couple of defeats against the better teams how will we react. Sort of unchartered territory for this team.

17th if Lambert stays hopefully but it will be a struggle. But I''ll be a happy struggler!

[quote user="ron obvious"]

I actually hope we have a crap start. I think there''d be a much better chance of staying up if we get knocked back & then learn,
[/quote]

Certainly worked well last time.

As long as the lads go out and give 100% every game i''ll be happy. Anything else is just a bonus!

[quote user="Lambo"]As long as the lads go out and give 100% every game i''ll be happy. Anything else is just a bonus![/quote]

I''ll go along with that, anywhere higher than the bottom 3 will be a good job well done, In Lambert we trust, Hope the board do too.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]It''s going to be a struggle. I can''t help but feel some people have forgotten how difficult the prem is. In the last two seasons we''ve played both Blackburn and Sunderland reserves and they''ve both had a comfortable win. [/quote]

In all fairness, these are the teams we fielded against those respective sides:Against Sunderland at home -CITY: Alnwick, Otsemobor, Tudur Jones, Holt (c) (Martin

60), Whaley (McDonald 60), Doherty, Hoolahan, Spillane, Adeyemi (Smith

75), Lappin, Daley. Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Nelson, Hughes, McVeigh.Against Blackburn away -CITY: Rudd, R. Martin (Hughes 71), Gill, Holt (Johnson 66), Jackson, Hoolahan (McNamee 66), Fox, Lappin, Ward, Francomb, Askou subs: Ruddy (GK) Surman, C. Martin, Smith.

In both cases we fielded our share of reserves also (whilst retaining some of the spine, i.e. Hoolahan, Holt, Doherty, Fox... etc.), and in both cases we gave a good account of ourselves when the performances are assessed a little deeper than simply the results.The fact we''ve dropped out of the cup to Orient and Carlisle in the two other knock-out competitions we''ve partaken in during Lamberts time here also surely puts the managers approach to them into persepective, as opposed to his approach to the league (in every game played after a cup exit we are unbeaten - 2 wins & 2 draws).I have faith in us rising up to the mantle in this league (although not to the extent in which i''d afford my irrational superstitious self a prediction).

I''d love to see us stay up, but can''t quite see how it will happen in

reality, all depends on the close season though.  I think that unlike last season, the three promoted teams will

actually be the worst 3 teams in the Premier,  (for example last season

Newcastle went up by a storm, with clearly a better team than the

bottom 6 in the Premiership, even QPR have not shown any thing like this quality this

season, and we have to conceeed they have edged us)    Added to that

some of the disasters waiting to happen that you would fancy us

against are likely to actually be relegated next weekend (the Birmingham

teams being prime examples).   Also by all counts the top 6 are going

to get considerably stronger this close season, as several are at

critical do or die moments in their development - Spurs, Man City and

Arsenal, plus Liverpool likely to be continuing the flyer they are on.It will all come down to home performances against the teams currently 7 th and below plus the new arrivals.  If we can average 2 points in these games we should have a chance (13*2) = 26 points scrape the rest from away games and the odd shock against the top 6.  Basically need a squad capable of being competitive with the likes of Villa, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle etc. at Carrow road week in week out to have a chance.  Gut feeling is unless we get another 20 Million from somewhere it may be tough, but if anyone can do it... 

"It will all come down to home performances against the teams currently 7

th and below plus the new arrivals.  If we can average 2 points in

these games we should have a chance (13*2) = 26 points scrape the rest

from away games and the odd shock against the top 6."It''s far too early to make any sensible predictions, but...given that we''ve been as strong away as we have at home this season, I can see doing enough to survive.The current table has positions 12 - 17 winning 24-28 points at home (6-8 home wins) and winning 12 - 20 points away from home (2-5 away wins).  Positions 18-20 have 15-18 points (5 home wins each) from home games, and 13-19 points from away games.  I see no reason why we can''t get 4 or 5 away wins minimum over the course of the season, with a few draws.

Norwich surviving in the Premier League next season is down to a number of factors, the biggest factor without a doubt is holding onto Paul Lambert for the entire season.

I think back to Owen Coyle at Burnley. He rejected a move to Celtic the summer after Burnley were promoted to the Prem. Burnley fans were delighted to hear this. However, when Bolton came calling, he left them, midway through the season despite a couple of days earlier saying he wouldn''t leave.

Prem teams will sack their managers this season and they may come calling for Paul Lambert, we have to brace ourselves for that. If he leaves, our chances of survival could suffer massively as a result. If we think the Burnley speculation was hard to take, the speculation surrounding Lambert in the future will be a million times worse.

If Lambert stays loyal to us despite the offers he WILL receive, then I believe we will finish in the bottom half, maybe 14th or 15th, well clear of relegation come the end of the season. If he stays on for the following seasons, I firmly believe we can become a Stoke type football club - surviving in the Prem, building each year, signing better players each summer, cup runs etc.

The future is bright, but it''s a whole lot brighter if we have Lambert in the dugout in 3-4 years time.

I honestly think we can stay up.  However it will be a struggle because grit, determination, confidence and momentum will only get you so far and you need to back that up with quality players.  So far we have good players at Championship level but very few have played in the top flight and although they may deserve a chance not all might be good enough.

I think we will just stay up but ask this question again at the end of pre season and I might give you a different answer.  Whatever happens though it''s going to be absolutely fantastic!

12th through 15th. We''ll stay up for sure, however we need to avoid doing a Hull.However, I feel Paul Lambert''s incredible record of not losing back-to-back games in a single season will abruptly come to an end.

My pessimistic side points to 2004/05 - This time seven years ago Worthy was our king and could do no wrong, Neil Doncaster and the board were shining examples of good management, and we had a solid team who were full of confidence. So hopefully you can all forgive me for not getting too carried away given where the club/fans ended up just a couple of years later.

However my optimistic side points to Paul Lambert, it points to a real work ethic and never-say-die attitude. It also points to a style of play that I think will cope in the Premier League.

If I had to stick my house on it I would say 18th, with promotion back up the following season; But to be honest Norwich has taught me over the last deacde to expect the unexpected. I just hope that when we inevitably lose a few games that the fans dont start to turn on Lambert and the players. They will need us more than ever this season.

I see City proving a hell of a lot of people wrong this coming season, including many of our own pessemistic fans (many of whom had us down for midtable consolidation at best before a ball was kicked in the Championship this season).The majority of the teams in the Premiership are no great shakes by any stretch of the imagination and it is the mentality of promoted teams and their fans that does much towards ensuring that they end up having a season long battle against relegation for me.I think Lambert will definitely be staying with us for another season in order to see exactly how far he can take us.  I think that he knows that he can take this club a fair bit further yet and possibly write himself in to the kind of folklore that only one or two very special managers have done in this country in the past.My head says that we will challenge for a TOP TEN finish, but I am hoping that we can push on a little further than that and challenge for a place in the TOP SIX, as I stand to win £500 if this happens, which will pay for my season ticket for the following season.

As posted below the financial report from the Guardian shows not surprisingly that there is a very close correlation between the financial and league position of a club in which case the reality is that NCFC will be in or very to the relegation zone. Every so called comparable or smaller club in terms of crowds benefits from very wealthy benefactors to subsidise wages. West Brom are the one notable exception this season. Financially NCFC are a Championship side and just to survive next year will be a major achievement. That is the reality.

I hate to say it as I want us to be as successful as possible, but survival is going to be a good result for us. It has been mentioned above and it warrants repeating- the effect of any degree of success is going to come into play come January 2012. Then, if we are comfortably mid-table and Horse / Jackson or tba has a dozen goals, or Hoolahan is consistantly MoM the clubs with big cheque books will be calling. And we''re talking the Sunderlands and Stoke Citys here, not the big 4 (or 5 or 6 [:^)]) because let''s face it we cannot compete even with them. This is not a situation we''ve had to contend with yet (to my knowledge).And of course the situation is multiplied several times over as regards Paul Lambert. Elsewhere managers will be dismissed by ambitious Chairman if results are bad. If we are going well, they''ll be looking in our direction and won''t take no for an answer.       

17th is obviously the minimum aim, as long as we survive we''ve had a good season and can build. I personally think we''ll finish 15th. We''ll start well, before falling away and looking like we''re set for a relegation battle, but pick up toward the end and although not finishing much above the relegation places never being in any serious danger of relegation.

I expect us to play with heart and spirit but, the thing about the Premier League is how you get punished for mistakes.

The key for me is one top centre half to come in plus another who is at least as good as we have.

I have doubts about Zak in one on ones with strikers playing off his shoulder; Ward has a couple of errors every game he WILL be punished for in this league and Leon is poor on set pieces.

We need RB cover and another goalkeeper.

So, the serious money needs to go on defenders IMO - including another defensive midfielder and we will need to change our style and be less open. In the PL a draw IS often a good result.

So, I hope for us to do well; I believe the desire is there to try to do well and I don''t think PL will want to feel he has one hand tied behind his back. As has been said the close season is vital and fascinating.

[quote user="Smudger"]I see City proving a hell of a lot of people wrong this coming season, including many of our own pessemistic fans (many of whom had us down for midtable consolidation at best before a ball was kicked in the Championship this season).The majority of the teams in the Premiership are no great shakes by any stretch of the imagination and it is the mentality of promoted teams and their fans that does much towards ensuring that they end up having a season long battle against relegation for me.I think Lambert will definitely be staying with us for another season in order to see exactly how far he can take us.  I think that he knows that he can take this club a fair bit further yet and possibly write himself in to the kind of folklore that only one or two very special managers have done in this country in the past.My head says that we will challenge for a TOP TEN finish, but I am hoping that we can push on a little further than that and challenge for a place in the TOP SIX, as I stand to win £500 if this happens, which will pay for my season ticket for the following season.[/quote]Pretty much this ^^^ … with the exception of the betting thing.Nothing to be frightened of from what I''ve seen over the years.

Ask again at the start of August with signings completed for most teams.

Realistically we could finish anywhere between 8th-20th.

This year the Premier League has been the poorest in a while. Manchester United themselves admitted they haven''t had to play well for the whole season to win the title. Rule out finishing above these teams:

Manchester United

Chelsea

Arsenal

Tottenham

Man City

Liverpool

Everton

After that there isn''t much consistency from teams and whilst unlikely it''s not impossible to finish in the top 10. It will be easier to stay up this year then in 2005/6.

Give us 17th now though and everyone is happy.

[quote user="CT"]There is a world of difference from wanting us to finish in a position next year and where people expect us to finish.

I expect us to finish bottom 6 if I''m honest and maybe 17th.

That would suit me down to the ground... where I want us to finish is completely different and unrealistic [;)]

What about you? Where do you EXPECT us to finish?
[/quote]

Somewhere between 8th & 14th.

If you plot the financial position of the premier football clubs against the league position you can predict the league position of the majority of clubs in the premiership within a couple of places. Yes they are a few under and over performers like West Ham and West Brom but it will be a battle for survival with odds on relegation especially as a new team will have to be put together.

I think there was a strength within Norwich this season because nobody expected us to do well at all (even the fans). Therefor there was no pressure instilled in Lambert or the players.I think from teams in a similar position to Norwich and relating the strength of some teams in the premiership a 12th place finish would be great. I dont EXPECT Norwich to gain survival but i think they will. One thing im certain on we will finish above QPR, they were very lucky to get the position they did and Norwich were the better team this season.

[quote user="Hoolahans left foot"]
 QPR were very lucky to get the position they did and Norwich were the better team this season.
[/quote]

I really don''t understand this reasoning. In a literal sense, yes, we had the better team as we had to work as a unit to win. They have an outstanding player and deserve their position as Champions, they got more points over the entire season. Simple as.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Hoolahans left foot"]
 QPR were very lucky to get the position they did and Norwich were the better team this season.
[/quote]

I really don''t understand this reasoning. In a literal sense, yes, we had the better team as we had to work as a unit to win. They have an outstanding player and deserve their position as Champions, they got more points over the entire season. Simple as.

[/quote]

QPR were a better team than us at the start of the season, but we have overtaken them, as I think any form tabler you study from Christmas onwards would tell you.

QPR have a good defence and a great individual in Tarabt, but are pretty poor up front for me and have more work than us to do during the summer just to stay on a level playing field with us. 

As for ''T'' with his money buys success, maybe he could explain to us why Man City have not yet won the title yet?  There is far more to it than money alone.  It''s how you spend that money and I would rather be in our shoes with a decent manager at the helm than be a fan of many other teams in the Premiership next season.

When you look at the likely premiership line up next season there are 10 clubs of similar size:CityWolverhampton WanderersBirmingham CityBlackburn RoversStoke CityFulhamBolton WanderersQPRReading/Swansea CityWest Bromwich Albion(Assumption: Blackpool and Wigan are relegated)That''s half the premiership. Now some clubs have more financial muscle that others ut it shows that a club of our size can more than survive at this level. With the squad spirit we have and some astute signings we have every chance of being in the premiership for a while.

I''d agree that crowd wise these clubs are similar but if you look at the Guardian report and you will see that the reality that Blackburn, Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, QPR and Reading are all subsidised by seriously wealthy backers so that just leaves Wolves, Birmingham, West Brom and Swansea with which we can compete financially . WBA have shown it can be done but are financial position which predicts the league position to a couple of places on average is bottom 3/championship. The financial reality is clear that relegation is the probability and survival especially in the first transitional year will be a major achievement.