Sign in to follow this  
General Melchett

Sutton on his way home?

Could this also be part of the Celtic interst in Hendo? Part-ex maybe? I would like to see him back with us but his wages would probably be too much, nice idea though.

I doubt it will happen, but City need to grab players of his quality with both hands.

I would certainly want him back, ok he had a dodgey time at Chelsea, but he was good at blackburn & has shone in the albeit slightly shoddy Scottish league.

Even leaving aside the emotional links, he is a striker who scored 28 goals last season in the SPL-winning side, so yes.

I''d like to see him back, but 2 mill is far too much. Maybe Martin O Neil can do his old club a favour and let us have him for 500k?
Although I doubt Sutton will leave Celtic this summer considering Larsson has left.

Ever since Sutton left in 93?? I have always hoped that one day he would return. He has stated in previous interviews that he would like to return one day, if the situation was right. I interpreted that as Norwich being in the Premiership.

In terms of if it is right for Norwich - he has experience, we need a big striker, and he is versatile - can play in midfield or defense -they don''t come much more versatile. I think he would be desperate to prove himself in the Premier one last time. On that basis the perfect signing.

The likely problem is wages and transfer fee, and in reality we would not be able to afford either. If,and it''s a big if, the club did decide to have a gamble on one player, I would love it to be Sutton. I hope I am not being too sentimentale in saying that. (I''m sure I will soon be shot down if any of you think that this is sentiment taking over my judgement) I do believe he has what it takes to make a difference to our team for this season and beyond. Does he have yellow and green blood?

Would be great to see him back. Never saw him play for City as he left just as I started going to matches.

Welcome Woking Canary,

I''m glad that the issue of Sutton has spurred you onto our boards. I, too, take this issue to heart and have also always dreamed of his return to NCFC in the twilight of his career. Yellow and Green blood? Probably, yes - he''s a Norwich boy to the core (and his dad). I''m more concerned by his arrogance and aloofness - does he fit the NW model-professional-work-ethic-gives-his-all-for-the-team mold?

But, yes, BRING HIM ON!

Would we want him back? er - doh! - I think so, the bloke remains a class act and should have gone to euro 2004 ahead of Heskey. He has touch strength and can play either at the back or up front with equal aplomb. He is one of the few english strikers who can truly pass a ball.

but whilst the lure of euro football hangs to celtic I cant see it happening.

OTBC

Thanks Flick Fleck, my comment was a little tongue in cheek!

I always have been amused by the media over the years failing to recognise his qualities as a centreback and assuming that he was only a forward. IMO in his time with us he (he was still young mind) looked to be a better bet as a centre back rather than a forward. Time and experience have maybe proven otherwise but if he does return home in the twlight of his career we would likely deploy him as a centreback as any speed he has diminishes.

I don''t see him returning now (wages an issue) but maybe next year with our Premiership status intact.

It would be nice to signj him as he''s a quality player, but, has everyone forgotton he recently signed a new contract at Celtic??!!!

Would love to see him back here. People might say he stood out only in a very average Scottish league, which is true, but he also played well in both Champions League and UEFA Cup games too. He can definitely still play at a high level, and his versatility in our comparatively small squad would come in very handy.

With Larsson and Liam Miller among the high proflie names to be leaving Celtic this summer, Sutton may see this as the start of the breakup of the team, and may want to take this chance to come back home. I think it would be £2 million well spent, just as long as his wage demands aren''t silly.

OTBC

How can anyone say £2 million is too much for Sutton when Crouch has just gone to saints for that figure. £2 million would be a bargain for a player of his quality!

That weren''t humour Flick, that there was sarcasm, the lowest form of wit...

Thanks for the input though! :-)

Your point Flick was that Sutton first established himself as a central defender here. My point was that he was a better defender than forward in his time here. Once he went to Blackburn the media became obsessed with his attacking qualities which have indeed improved over the years, forgetting his defensive abilities. The combination of us searching for a centre back at the moment and Sutton''s name being rumoured as on the way it seems an obvious, if silly, link to make.

In retrospect, getting £5m for Sutton was a good piece of business and still would be for any centreback turned part time striker as he was then. Our (The Dark Lord''s) mistake was not adequately replacing him.

Hope that clears up any confusion, Flick!

I''m not sure calling Sutton a part-time striker is quite accurate when he had developed a lethal partnership with Efan Ekoku and scored, I think, 28 goals in his final season for us, leading Blackburn to shell out the £5 million.

But getting him back in any position would be terrific!

I would love it to be true but all the talk seems to be about Scowcroft. I am sure he would like to prove to some people ( Chelsea ) that he can perform in the premiership, but if O''Neill stays at Celtic then I think Sutton will.

Now there is a player who can hold the ball up. 1 / 2 year deal would tie us over for the survival campaign. Great idea but NW has stated he dosent want t bring in a load of oldies. Could also be a disaster NEVER go back he could go from hero to zero.

would we want him back, yes we would

after learning of the scowcroft rumour i am fearing the worst, it this were true, it would be a magnificent signing, chris sutton can certainly give us much, up front, in defence if need be and most of all, he would have the will to play for the yellow and green, unlike some!!

please sign him worthy!

Agreed Gazza - class act, and always works well in a partnership with another striker (imagine - CS and Leon, CS and Svensson, CS and Hux, CS and Bentley - they could all work). Please let it happen - where''s our yellow and green vicar? Put in a word Rev...

This is not going to happen - why?

I met Chris on holday in Barbados in June and had a long talk to him regarding how great Norwich is and would he please come back however he has signed a new contract for Celtic and felt that returning to Norwich would mean trying to recreate something that he may not be able to do (this is a loose translation!). He is however a great lad with a lovely family and is returning to Norfolk after his career is over in Scotland.

Thinking about this I may have awoken a thought in his head about returning to Norwich (he does love Norfolk) and maybe he got back had a chat with Martin and told his agent to get him home ! Therefore if Chris does sign I think the club owe me a beer or two!!

I think he would be a superb signing and would hopefully remember my chat and sort me out a few players lounge tickets !!

My, this one has stirred up a hornets nest.

When he was here he scored 28 goals with Ruel Fox supplying the amunition. Any similarities to today folks. Just imagine for a second, if you will, Darren Huckerby dancing down the wing and sending in a stream of crosses to Chris Sutton.

Now back to the real world, why on earth would Celtic want to sell him?

A few weeks ago there was a ''best ever'' Norwich team thread, on which I had Hucks and Sutton up front together......prophecy? Let''s hope so!

Here''s the thread......
[link]http://new.pinkun.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=40581[/link]