Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

David Marshall - Do you rate him?

I am always suprised by the amount of Norwich fans that do not rate Marshall, although of course we all see things a little differently! I have always considered him a consistent and reliable keeper, some say that he has cost us a few points..... I think that part of the problem is that for years we had a premiership quality keeper (Robert Green) in the championship, and that any Norwich keeper for quite some time is expected in some way to fill Greenos boots.  Marshalls one weakness for me is his slight hesitance with his aerial ability (not knowing whether to come for balls sometimes) and his sometimes inconsistent kicking (I seem to remember Greenos kicking being a bit sh*te at times), that said he is a vast vast improvement on Paul Gallacher who had serious defincies in his aerial presence, and he has also been playing with quite a poor defence in front of him. Trying to organise Doherty and Shackell as a partnership must be like trying to walk with no feet. Most non norwich fans i meet last year seemed to single out Marshall and Huckerby as our ''class'' players, so maybe we are ''setting the goalposts too high'' so to speak..... excuse the pun. I bet Marshall won us a lot more points then he lost us last year, and I really do not see who could come in and do a better job. Steve Harper from Newcastle would be a possibility (unless hes gones somewhere). For me, the Norwich goalkeeper is a fine one and probably one of the best five in the division. I dont think he let anyone down and has shown that he was worth the money we paid. Im sure if we sold him then most people would expect to get a couple of million for him? in the age of Craig Gordon going for £9m.....He is certainly one of the ''in-betweenies'' that Roeder refers to. Could do a job in the lower premiership.Thats just my opinion dont murder me! whats yours?

Personally I think he''s a very good young keeper with a great future ahead of him. Some fans seem to forget exactly how young he is in comparison to most top Premiership keepers, and it''s fair to say that he''s not hit his peak yet, and is unlikely to do so for a few years, however I do see improvements in his play since we did sign him, which is very promising.We should also see further improvements with him working with our new GK coach, indeed he seems improved vocally already this season.In some ways he reminds me a bit of a young David James, excellent at reflex saves and flinging himself across the net, yet seems almost vampiric in his dislike for crosses!I''d say he''s one of our best players, who only has the potential to get better.

[quote user="Marty"]Cue Jas....................[/quote]

fillet the fish wife has spoken for me....

all i will say is Watch him carefully vs Cov and blackpoo, particularly at crosses and corners....

jas :)

Marshall is a decent enough keeper at this level.  His shot-stopping is superb and as good as any in this league but other area''s in his game need a big improvement iover the next few seasons.  Kicking is one area he needs to look at, the other and most important area is command of his area and dealing with balls into the box.One moment against Spurs sums him up for me.  From watching in the stands he made what looked like a fantastic save from a header by Ledley King.  However, when I watched it back on Setanta the next day, it was still a wondeful reflex save but the replay showed that he had come for the ball, not claimed it and left 3/4 of his goal empty.  He was lucky King did not head across the goal.  He is young and has lots of time to improve and I am sure he will.

In my opinion he is a great young keeper, who is still inexperienced and therefore he will make a few mistakes. You can tell that he isn''t brilliant at commanding his area, and his aerial ability doesn''t match his shot-stopping, but we have to remember he is still young. After another couple of full seasons I think he will be a very very good keeper, but at the moment he is still learning his trade, he may cost us a few goals, but I am confident enough in his ability to say that he will probably save us more points than lose them.

good keeper but not good we all think. we all treat him like the best keeper here but bristol city have basso who is better currently, wolves have murray and heneasy, palace speroni upped it up last season, carroll is probably better at derby

but we could have far worst keepers at our club and if he stays with us we could have him for the next 8-10yrs

Yes! He is one of the best keepers i have seen at Carrow Road (Although thats only been 6 years! Stick out tongue [:P])

In those 6 years of spectating, only him and Green have made me feel safe!

Quality young keeper, one for the future...for both Norwich and Scotland.

Think he is very good keeper. Makes odd mistakes like the vast majority do at any leval. Goalies are under scrutiny to a ridiculous extent now what with playbacks and messageboards. I can''t think of any keeper in the country who is not criticised for some mistake or other and if they are a young keeper then God help them.

He reminds me alot of greeno at his age. Some are overly harsh on him though I have heard people saying goals were his fault when he fails to save a 1 on 1.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Marshall is a decent enough keeper at this level.  His shot-stopping is superb and as good as any in this league but other area''s in his game need a big improvement iover the next few seasons.  Kicking is one area he needs to look at, the other and most important area is command of his area and dealing with balls into the box.

One moment against Spurs sums him up for me.  From watching in the stands he made what looked like a fantastic save from a header by Ledley King.  However, when I watched it back on Setanta the next day, it was still a wondeful reflex save but the replay showed that he had come for the ball, not claimed it and left 3/4 of his goal empty.  He was lucky King did not head across the goal. 

He is young and has lots of time to improve and I am sure he will.
[/quote]

Sums it up perfectly for me. Reminds me of Andy Marshall, but better.

Would also suggest his parrying could do with some work. Hes a fantastic shot stopper, but at times he can parry it back out in front of goal, when the ball really needs to go to the side for a corner if need be.

But even still, hes young, and will improve.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Marshall is a decent enough keeper at this level.  His shot-stopping is superb and as good as any in this league but other area''s in his game need a big improvement iover the next few seasons.  Kicking is one area he needs to look at, the other and most important area is command of his area and dealing with balls into the box.

One moment against Spurs sums him up for me.  From watching in the stands he made what looked like a fantastic save from a header by Ledley King.  However, when I watched it back on Setanta the next day, it was still a wondeful reflex save but the replay showed that he had come for the ball, not claimed it and left 3/4 of his goal empty.  He was lucky King did not head across the goal. 

He is young and has lots of time to improve and I am sure he will.
[/quote]

Sums it up perfectly for me. Reminds me of Andy Marshall, but better.

Would also suggest his parrying could do with some work. Hes a fantastic shot stopper, but at times he can parry it back out in front of goal, when the ball really needs to go to the side for a corner if need be.

But even still, hes young, and will improve.

[/quote]Lots of Goalies are parrying ball out forwards nowadays and the way a football swerves nowadays it is not surprising.

For me, very good shot stopper, but not very strong at crosses and organising the defence, he does get quite a few through his legs but look how many he has saved, a lot and he has saved us from certain defeat on many occasion. People forget that he is young and a goalkeeper always get stick when they make a mistake. Hopefully the Wright will sort this out a dn by all accounts, GR reckons that he has been more vocal with his defence, I suspect that he has not had the best of defenders in the last year[:D]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]For me, very good shot stopper, but not very strong at crosses and organising the defence, he does get quite a few through his legs but look how many he has saved, a lot and he has saved us from certain defeat on many occasion. People forget that he is young and a goalkeeper always get stick when they make a mistake. Hopefully the Wright will sort this out a dn by all accounts, GR reckons that he has been more vocal with his defence, I suspect that he has not had the best of defenders in the last year[:D][/quote]

well said. too many through the legs,and needs to be more vocal,but apparently he''s starting to pipe up a bit in the changing room and could with being alot more commanding on the pitch.

over all i do rate him and think he will do well this season.

the boy has great promise, is a great shot stopper - but needs greater consistency, and to take control of his area better - he doesn''t always seem to know when to come and collect crosses or not...and this indecision means that when he does make a mistake, its usually a toe-curling howler!!!  mind you, goalkeeper errors are always highlighted to be fair,,,i don''t see his performances are quite ''inbetweenie'' yet, but i certainly believe he has the potential to acheive it, and hopefully this season...

I rate him highly, probably not as good as Greeno but some people used to knock him. Some people would knock Kaka though if he played for us.

the funny thing is everyone has highlighted the same flaws on here and all picked up on the fact that hes a "good shot stopper" so are all agreeing with me... lol!

Others rate him a lot higher and he is well thought of in the football word. I feel a good season for him and we will see the Wright factor coming through, Wright was a very vocal keeper and quite a character and this will only rub of on Marsh.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the funny thing is everyone has highlighted the same flaws on here and all picked up on the fact that hes a "good shot stopper" so are all agreeing with me... lol!

[/quote]

Yes but you also called him the worst keeper in the championship, not sure many agreed with that...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]I think the fact is that over the years, we''ve been really spoiled for great goalkeepers. Nethercott, Keelan Woods, Gunn, Tracey and Green. Marshall looks to me as though he could join that pantheon. As you say, Jas, his command of his area is his great weakness - those who are more positive would argue that that is the case for most young keepers. The shot-stopping is natural talent; the ability to judge when to come for crosses, how to, erm, marshal your defence, those things come with experience.I think Marshall will improve this season based on: another year''s experience, having a proper coach, and hopefully playing in front of a more secure defence.

Key player - usually a safe pair of hands - worth noting that GR has disposed of two decent keepers and bought back-up rather than anyone likely to challenge for a place.

But I wish he would pass the ball out more often so we can build from the back - and maybe with the new arrivals he may do so. Whilst a quick boot out when the opposition has pushed up, may send the likes of Cureton or Hoolahan away, generally I prefer to see us keep possession. It''s usualy no better than 50:50 that we manage to do so from goal kicks and we''re immediately under pressure again. Would be interested to know if he throws a bit more at Coventry.

i think marshall is excellent and could easily play in the premiership for a team such as fulham or wigan etc. his reactions are top class and i think with a better defence in front of him he will be alot better than last season.