Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Re: No official bid for Ameobi yet?

I''m not a fan of his either.  He''s never really set the world alight in the prem or at Stoke at this level.

Many Stoke fan were relieved when they never took up the option to buy him.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

I''d heard from a mate in Newcastle that we were talking to him last week and the deal was as good as done.

Just cos the deal may be 3mil + doesn''t meen we pay it all upfront, it could be based on goals and other stuff

[/quote]

Thats strange because according to Ipswich he''s on his honeymoon and not back until the weekend when their talks hope to commence.

Too true when people say on here that we don''t know how much money we have. We can speculate all we like, only those who need to know, know.

If Shola came, I can say for certain that he would get close to 20 goals. No problem. I think he would want another crack at the Prem, but, look at Beatie and others who came down a division and made an impression, if we fail to get up, he can then get sold to a Prem side. If we got him, I''m sure that would be one in the eye for those who claimed we are skint and have no ambition.

For all those with doubts i would say, Ameobi''s goal scoring record isn''t great in the PREMIER LEAGUE where he doesn''t get a regular start and so will find it hard to build up any kind of form or momentum.

For those trying to compare Chris Brown to Ameobi; that''s just laughable, Chris Brown hasn''t scored as many goals as Ameobi and has spent a large proportion of his career in the championship and leagues below that. 

I can''t see Ameobi coming to Norwich because I don''t understand where the money would come from unless we get a big investment from someone such as the Turners. If he did though I guarantee that he will ''blitz'' this league as Roeder put it; Roeder is no fool and Ameobi played well for him in the premier league for Newcastle; he would look classier in the championship due to the lack of quality in comparison to the championship and score a hatful of goals - oh and also i would enjoy not having to watch Cureton miss an open goal once every two games!!! 

Don''t know what to make of this one, its all gone quiet with the binners now. His agent has basically issued a "Glenn, come and get him" statement. I think he''d do very decent job for us at this level, he didn''t set the world on fire at Stoke, but then again he hadn''t played 1st team game in months so his fitness would have been down the pan. I for one would love to see him in yellow come august, give him a decent pre season and i reckon he''d bag 20 for us. Anyone else like the prospect of an Ameobi/Rigters front line next year?

Interesting one, but can''t see that kind of money being involved really, unless it involves a lot of add-ons and what-ifs... as for his scoring record and the fact he''s a Prem reserve, well... don''t forget that a certain Darren Huckerby wasn''t exactly setting the Premiership alight when he was loaned out a few years ago......... not saying lightning will strike twice, naturally, but just that some people would do well to keep an open mind.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

I''d heard from a mate in Newcastle that we were talking to him last week and the deal was as good as done.

Just cos the deal may be 3mil + doesn''t meen we pay it all upfront, it could be based on goals and other stuff

[/quote]

Thats strange because according to Ipswich he''s on his honeymoon and not back until the weekend when their talks hope to commence.

[/quote]

Who knows what is realy going on? last time my mate rang me he told me about patterson going out on loan and he thought it was us, and it came good a week later(see post first loan signing). I''d love it if this came true but not at the expence of most of our transfer budget.

guess the next couple of weeks should be interesting and very important for our season.

I think he would be an exceptional signing at Championship level. For a while under Roeder at Newcastle he looked a very good Premier league player so he obviously just needs the right kind of manager to bring out the best in him.

Maybe someone is doing a similar deal for us in the way we signed Hucks and is underwriting the transfer from outside the club.

I certainly wouldn''t go for him at the reported £4m the binners were said to have agreed, but he would be a fine signing at the right price.

He is 26/27 now and has never quite realised his potential (very few apps last season, no goals), so it would be a bit of a gamble and that is something which needs to be reflected in the price (ie lower initial [maybe £1.5m] + higher add-ons [the same on promotion, or whatever]).  But the potential is there, it was there for all to see in his Eng U-21 days, and also for a season or so in the Prem.  Perhaps a stint in the Champs is what he needs to give him confidence and so on, and Roeder may well be the right man to help him, who knows.

I''d love to see Shola here and can''t understand anyone who thinks otherwise. He''s scored what about 40 goals in 180 performances at Newcastle, a large number of those appearances being as a substitute and all at a higher level than Champs. Tellingly with Newcastle his goal to game ratio increases dramatically each time he is given any kind of run in the side. This is Newcastle we''re talking too, not exactly the outstanding team in the Premiership are they, remind me again just how many goals has Michael Owen scored for them in the last three years?
A Prem class striker stepping down a level or a League one striker stepping up a level?

I know which one I''d take any day of the week.

Is it me or does anyone else think hat ameobi is the biggest donkey gracing a pitch and 3.5 mil please god no for me i hope this one is a RUMOUR.  And for all those posting genuine realistic transfer rumours keep them comeing as i for one enjoy reading them   cheers  thumb180

2 things,

1, Ameobi would be a top signing, his record in the premiership isn''t amazing, but remember it is in the premiership! Alot of his appearances were probably as a sub, playing second fiddle to awful strikers like Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Alan Smith and Michael Owen. Yet, they still kept him! He has something

Secondly, Dont worry about us signing him. If we sign him, we have the money to do so, if we do there is obviously a bigger budget than most think, perhaps a secret investemtn from the Turners, i dont know. But, i''m sure we wont blow it all on one. Having said that if we can get players like Hoolahan and bell on the cheap. Find a couple of centre backs from somehwere and fund some wages, plus decent loans we''d be building a good squad.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

2 things,

1, Ameobi would be a top signing, his record in the premiership isn''t amazing, but remember it is in the premiership! Alot of his appearances were probably as a sub, playing second fiddle to awful strikers like Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Alan Smith and Michael Owen. Yet, they still kept him! He has something

Secondly, Dont worry about us signing him. If we sign him, we have the money to do so, if we do there is obviously a bigger budget than most think, perhaps a secret investemtn from the Turners, i dont know. But, i''m sure we wont blow it all on one. Having said that if we can get players like Hoolahan and bell on the cheap. Find a couple of centre backs from somehwere and fund some wages, plus decent loans we''d be building a good squad.

[/quote]

GOOD POINT

lol no need to shout...

as for ameobi I will have to ask my insider for some more details [:P]. As he got the clingan one right days before it was announced. Told me it was definate (which you would see if you read ''who knew clingan was signing'' thread)

If we do sign him, no way it would be announced soon. Glen''s big thing is keeping budget and targets secret.  If it gets out that we splashed 3 mil on Ameobi, it would surely make the remaining signings more expensive for us.  So I would expect 3-4 more signings to be announced before any possible Ameobi announcement.  For the record, though, I still don''t think we''ll sign him. 

Is interesting the use of the phrase ''could ultimately'' be worth £3.5m - it would suggest that the initial payment would be a lot less and such a figure would depend greatly on promotion/other ''happenings''.

IMO as long as the initial outlay isn''t much more than, say, Â£1.5-2m it would be a pretty decent deal.  You''d have to say that he is potentially much more worthwhile as a punt than someone like Beckford, for whom similar figures have been bandied about.

:-O. They sound pretty confident that the deal is in place (even though I know the reliability of some papers!) I believe it shows a brilliant commitment by the board to Glenn if it takes place, he will bag us 20 goals in the championship no problem. We will see.

[quote user="C.T"]its all still rumours, come on people GET A GRIP[/quote]

its good to see it from a different source - no need to be hostile 

[quote user="C.T"]its all still rumours, come on people GET A GRIP[/quote]No I will not get a grip, I want players and I want them now.  [:)]

[quote user="C.T"]its all still rumours, come on people GET A GRIP[/quote]

C.T. with respect, the Daily Mail aren''t reporting this as a rumour, they''re reporting this as on the verge.

Take a look at what else they''re reporting as "on the brink" - Sidwell to Villa, for example. http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1027272/Villa-verge-securing-Chelsea-midfielder-Steve-Sidwell-4-5m.html

I genuinely think we''re about to sign Ameobi.

Ah, but NY, if you believe the rumours up to 4 new players are to be announced tomorrow.  Of course, whether that will happen who knows, but it is nice that things are beginning to happen.

If I was put on the spot I''d say I was 50:50 - under normal circumstances we would surely all be laughing off such a rumour, but there are things that suggest there might be something in it: strong mutterings of a link in January, Roeder singing his praises hugely more than once, the fact that he seems to have a (good) history/relationship with the player (his agent''s comments of last week back that up) and we now have ever more strong links with Newcastle. 

Conspiracy theory, I know, but it did occur to me that Ameobi turned the binners down in order to come to us becasue of Roeder - and if he did that already makes him part way to being a legend!!

Coolio, if we get him (and for the right price) imo it is definitely City 1 Binners 0 in the transfer window - turning them down to come to us is a fantastic way to start off your Canary career!!!