Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Re: Joe LEWIS in full England squad.

Shame (if he gets on the pitch) he will be participating in yet another utterly pointless set of England friendlies.  Why do they bother? 

[quote user="MTV"]

It never cease''s to amaze me how many people are wise after the event. This was good business for City and Lewis. He was not going to get into our first team and he needed to play 1 st team football. We got a much needed £400,000 and he got selected for England, oh and there is a sell on clause.

Good all round if you ask me.

[/quote]

How on earth can you call this good all round? We had a gem in Joe and this was well recognised and we let him go before even giving him a game for the club. To rub salt in the wound we then sacked the goalkeeper coach. The only quality that seems to be coming out of the accademy at present is keepers, and we dont even give them a chance. Good luck Joe, you are a good lad and you deserve whatever success is coming to you in the future, but come on, how can we let a quality young man that has been under our noses for years, leave the club without being given any chance in the first team. Bad management, bad business, bad all round for me! I do try to be positive if the oppertunity is there but in this case we have made a big blunder for which I see no justification. 

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="The Duke"]He was only 3rd choice on age not on ability. I agree it was poor by the club to let him go, a long term loan would of been a far better option[/quote]Would it have been? What would people be saying now if say Norwich had continued the 13 game unbeaten run I wonder.Or alternatively what will people say if the £400k is spent on Hoolahan for example? I know we signed Pattison but we also didn''t pay whatever it would have been for Strihavka.

[/quote]We didn''t continue the unbeaten run though did we?  Also, if we spend £400k on Hoolahan, I am sure many will still think it was bad business to sell a player for £400k who 6 months later gets a full England call up.To those pointing out hindsight is a wonderful, it is I suppose but hindsight was not really needed in this case was it?  You have to question whether Roeder was too hasty to let probably our best young prospect go without actually seeing much of him.  Should have gone out on loan for another 6 months at least before we even entertained the idea of selling him.For those saying he is/was not good enough etc I am willing to accept that Capello with his world-wide reputation and very full trophy cabinet is a better judge of Lewis'' ability than anyone on this forum or GR.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="The Duke"]He was only 3rd choice on age not on ability. I agree it was poor by the club to let him go, a long term loan would of been a far better option[/quote]Would it have been? What would people be saying now if say Norwich had continued the 13 game unbeaten run I wonder.Or alternatively what will people say if the £400k is spent on Hoolahan for example? I know we signed Pattison but we also didn''t pay whatever it would have been for Strihavka.

[/quote]We didn''t continue the unbeaten run though did we?  Also, if we spend £400k on Hoolahan, I am sure many will still think it was bad business to sell a player for £400k who 6 months later gets a full England call up.To those pointing out hindsight is a wonderful, it is I suppose but hindsight was not really needed in this case was it?  You have to question whether Roeder was too hasty to let probably our best young prospect go without actually seeing much of him.  Should have gone out on loan for another 6 months at least before we even entertained the idea of selling him.For those saying he is/was not good enough etc I am willing to accept that Capello with his world-wide reputation and very full trophy cabinet is a better judge of Lewis'' ability than anyone on this forum or GR.[/quote]It is his performances for Peterborough that has brought him to the attention of the England set up. When a player is concerned about their future and which team they will be playing for next you can hardly expect them to play at their best.Like I have said - look at what you are saying and it all basically says what is best for Norwich City - is it best for Joe Lewis? At some point the player - the living being has to take precident over the club when it comes to their future.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]Didn''t Green and Carson rule themselves out of being selected because they are off on their holidays. Doubt either of them would jump up off the beach to train with the squad and not even make the bench.I think it will be a long long time until Joe is in the squad again, so I hope he enjoys it while he can and gets some tips of great ''keepers like James.[/quote]

Isn''t Greeno preparing to climb a mountatin? Much better than a mickey mouse football match

http://www.justgiving.com/robertgreenkiliclimb

great judge of player is our Glen, lots of guys said it was a ricket letting the lad go, maybe sometimes supporters can judge a player, hope the hux situation dont come back and bite him on the arris too, whats the betting the Lewis ends up at man u.

Lets put a bit of perspective on this shall we.  The boy is highly unlikely to play any part in the game at all.  He was promoted from the U21 setup, I think that is the way Fabio Capello is going to do things and it also sends a great message to all the other U21 boys.  Good luck to and well done Joe Lewis, I really hope it works out for the lad.

I personally think he got released becuase we had just signed Marshall.  I have also heard that young Declan Rudd is an even better prospect than Joe Lewis was.  But look at the history, lots of players we have released at a young age have gone on to do really well, Dion Dublin, Bobby Zamora, Adrian Coote....

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sold potentialy best keeper we could have had, because they smelt a bit of cash. Disgusting.[/quote]Arf. what are you talking about ? He was third choice with no chance of getting a game so how could we have kept him ?

[/quote]

Err? I''m hearing what you say Lapps, but why was he third choice? he''s good enough for England but not City? someone gaffed mate.[:S]

I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.

[/quote]

Thats a good point Mr C, and I''ll put my hand up here and say I''m guilty as charged re Lewis, but.................this is why we have message boards and press interviews isn''t it?.

So people who do know can inform us lesser mortals and we can base an opinion on that information.

Otherwise, whats the point?.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.[/quote]

Thats a good point Mr C, and I''ll put my hand up here and say I''m guilty as charged re Lewis, but.................this is why we have message boards and press interviews isn''t it?.

So people who do know can inform us lesser mortals and we can base an opinion on that information.

Otherwise, whats the point?.

[/quote]I think this is fair enough, Wiz.However, the parable of Rossi Jarvis:  For months everyone had talked up this tricky creative midfielder, how he was "Norwich''s Beckham" and other silly comparisons.  Then, when he played, he looked just like a young lad with plenty still to learn - and now he''s been released, most people are saying "well, that''s a shame but he wasn''t very good".  I''m not denying Lewis is a good keeper, or that he may go on to become a great keeper, but selling him for £400k may not yet be bad business.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.

[/quote]

Surely there is always a problem with goalkeepers?  There was no way he could get a game for you last season with Marshall ever present.  That leaves you with the Snow White Reserve League and a game once a fortnight (if lucky) in which he would then have been competing against Gilks and Arnold.

You could have left him out on loan for the rest of the season but you''d still have the same problem this coming season if Marshall stays.  In fact it could be more of a problem if, as reported, the club are considering withdrawing from the Reserve League completely.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sold potentialy best keeper we could have had, because they smelt a bit of cash. Disgusting.[/quote]Arf. what are you talking about ? He was third choice with no chance of getting a game so how could we have kept him ?

[/quote]

he''s good enough for engl;and yet not good enough for our 1st team???? when was the last time David Marshall or Matty Gilks gained international recognition... the only reason he didnt get in the tea is because we signed Marshall for Cash and Grant didnt want to admit his mistake.... Roeder for whatever reason moved Lewis on.. again i feel this was more down to the board and a "fire sale" then Roeder himself....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Roeder for whatever reason moved Lewis on.. again i feel this was more down to the board and a "fire sale" then Roeder himself....

[/quote]

That makes sense jas.

Why can''t any of you realise, the only reason he has been called up, is because he is in the Under 21''s squad and EVERY other top keeper (Robinson, Green, Carson) will be on holiday now. He is only training with them to make up the numbers. A case of right place, right time.This is not to say that we shouldn''t have kept him but I would imagine this is a massive one off.

this just makes me more convinced that he has been parked at the posh by man utd, with the fergerson connection between them, (man utd must have been aware of other clubs sniffing around so pounced) and i think Norwich were aware of this when selling him, i`d expect there are very favourable terms for norwich when joe moves on.

[quote user="Greg Sayer"]this just makes me more convinced that he has been parked at the posh by man utd, with the fergerson connection between them, (man utd must have been aware of other clubs sniffing around so pounced) and i think Norwich were aware of this when selling him, i`d expect there are very favourable terms for norwich when joe moves on.[/quote]

Quite a few posters mentioned this theory, when Joe was initially sold......I do hope there is some dosh in it for the Canary Coffers.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="The Duke"]He was only 3rd choice on age not on ability. I agree it was poor by the club to let him go, a long term loan would of been a far better option[/quote]Would it have been? What would people be saying now if say Norwich had continued the 13 game unbeaten run I wonder.Or alternatively what will people say if the £400k is spent on Hoolahan for example? I know we signed Pattison but we also didn''t pay whatever it would have been for Strihavka.

[/quote]We didn''t continue the unbeaten run though did we?  Also, if we spend £400k on Hoolahan, I am sure many will still think it was bad business to sell a player for £400k who 6 months later gets a full England call up.To those pointing out hindsight is a wonderful, it is I suppose but hindsight was not really needed in this case was it?  You have to question whether Roeder was too hasty to let probably our best young prospect go without actually seeing much of him.  Should have gone out on loan for another 6 months at least before we even entertained the idea of selling him.For those saying he is/was not good enough etc I am willing to accept that Capello with his world-wide reputation and very full trophy cabinet is a better judge of Lewis'' ability than anyone on this forum or GR.[/quote]It is his performances for Peterborough that has brought him to the attention of the England set up. When a player is concerned about their future and which team they will be playing for next you can hardly expect them to play at their best.Like I have said - look at what you are saying and it all basically says what is best for Norwich City - is it best for Joe Lewis? At some point the player - the living being has to take precident over the club when it comes to their future.[/quote]What are you on about?  His future at City was never in doubt until we had a bid for him.  He played well on loan before his move so I don''t see what you are getting at about his concern about who he would be playing for next season.  He said himself it was a shock and didn''t want to move.  Remember it took him a long time to agree the move, he was not exactly rushing to leave.  No one will convince me that we shouldn''t have kept him for another season or two and that Glenn should have actually taken the time to see him play a few times before letting him go.  He should be on loan at Peterborough right now. 

This just about sums this board up! Thinking about the money instead of football ambition. A great keeper is usually a massive influence on a team and he could of been the man to take us places in years to come! But no! Our pathetic lot have sold the only decent talent we have produced in years to a huge club in Peterborough! The wages for Eagle and others who are pathetic would have kept him here!An absolute joke!

As usual, when it comes to the business of FOOTBALL, our club seems to be found wanting. It would not have cost much to keep him a city player on loan to another club - do they not pay a percentage of his wages? Instead we sell the latest best thing to (eventually) come out of our gloriously underproductive academy - for a pittance. Forget the sell on fee, what about the loss of esteem? Remember when the likes of Man U bought a player from Norwich, and we could buy one of their ''underperformers''? All seems a distant memory........

[/quote]

You dont have to see a player to hear great reports aout him, i have had some great tips out of newmarket but never seen the horses run. Lots of people i know who have seen him, reckon he will end up at a big club, insiders have said he is one to watch and i would not mind having a little bet a prem club will come calling.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

he''s good enough for engl;and yet not good enough for our 1st team???? when was the last time David Marshall or Matty Gilks gained international recognition... the only reason he didnt get in the tea is because we signed Marshall for Cash and Grant didnt want to admit his mistake.... Roeder for whatever reason moved Lewis on.. again i feel this was more down to the board and a "fire sale" then Roeder himself....

[/quote]

According to reports up here, Marshall is expected to play in Scotland''s friendly in the Czech Republic on Friday.

Be honest, he''s not (yet) good enough for England (though as a Scotsman, I find it amusing that people think he might be!) I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We all agree that we need to spend a few quid on new players so if selling reserves for £400k helps get in a new player (e.g. Hoolahan) then it''s an understandable decision. No point moaning now that he''s fortuitously ended up in the England squad just because the others are all on holiday! Also, I''d imagine we''ve got a sell-on clause in his contract so if he goes to the Prem we''ll get even more cash. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn''t it?!

[quote user="canaryjock"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to reports up here, Marshall is expected to play in Scotland''s friendly in the Czech Republic on Friday.

Be honest, he''s not (yet) good enough for England (though as a Scotsman, I find it amusing that people think he might be!) I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We all agree that we need to spend a few quid on new players so if selling reserves for £400k helps get in a new player (e.g. Hoolahan) then it''s an understandable decision. No point moaning now that he''s fortuitously ended up in the England squad just because the others are all on holiday! Also, I''d imagine we''ve got a sell-on clause in his contract so if he goes to the Prem we''ll get even more cash. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn''t it?!

[/quote]A division 1 club was willing to make a club record bid of £400,000.  He represented England at more or less every junior level.  -  Peterborough saw that he would be an excellent aquisition and make them a huge profit when they sell him to a premiership club and those that coach at England youth level, kept him on because, again, they could see the potential.  We however...................wanted to make a quick buck and will very probably lose out on millions.  Brilliant bit of business.  *shakes head*  All very disheartening.

[quote user="AndyJR"]
A division 1 club was willing to make a club record bid of £400,000.  He represented England at more or less every junior level.  -  Peterborough saw that he would be an excellent aquisition and make them a huge profit when they sell him to a premiership club and those that coach at England youth level, kept him on because, again, they could see the potential.  We however...................wanted to make a quick buck and will very probably lose out on millions.  Brilliant bit of business.  *shakes head*  All very disheartening.
[/quote]

isn''t it.   To top it all he''s a Norwich Fan.  Did we undersell a future Canary Legend ?

Everybody thinks Gilks is on his way out of the club in search of first team football. This could have been anticipated given that he hasn''t been given a chance. Joe would/could have moved closer to the No1 jersey (with experience gained through further loan arrangements)....giving a damn...playing with pride & passion for NCFC.  

it''s kinda depressing for a Norwich Fan.

WELL DONE JOE THOUGH !!!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.[/quote]Trouble is GR never saw Lewis play either! which puts this latest mistake even more into perspective

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d love to know how many people who are saying selling Lewis was a mistake ever saw him play, and how many are just going by the unwritten law of football supporters which is that any player you''ve never seen play must logically be brilliant.[/quote]Trouble is GR never saw Lewis play either! which puts this latest mistake even more into perspective[/quote]Apart from on the training ground most days...