Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

joe lewis to Peterboro....£400k

For those interested here is a slide show with a couple of shots of Joe saying his farewells to Morecambe:

http://www2.morecambetoday.co.uk/slidedropfolder/pb07/index.html

As an outsider, of course, I''m also a little surprised but probably more that he is only staying in League II.  I would have thought he could have done better than that.

One of the problems for your club and mine is that the Championship has a Mickey Mouse Reserve League so that players not making the first team don''t get enough games to keep them match sharp and improving.  I think the Reserve League situation is a scandal.  Training ground games are no substitute for the real thing.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

Just heard City have accepted a £400k bid from Posh for Joe Lewis. Its now over to the boy.

Source...a gd one, cant say but i am gutted if this happens and makes me wonder are we really that hard up? If this doesnt come to light i will look a right mug but im not lying. Im so pi$$ed off!!

The boy has soooooooo much potential what could he be worth in the long run!?

[/quote]

I can''t believe this for one second "can you sit down" I think the boy has much potential too much potential to let go . Besides have Posh got £400 k ? [:(] arrdee.

[/quote]

Ard you lovely old boy.....would i lie to you?

Yep 400k for an England under 21 international is great business isn''t it?

And if/when he is playing in the Premiership it will still be great business won''t it?

400k is peanuts nowadays for a player, I just hope there is more to this transfer than first meets the eye.  Are we just going to sell to the first club to show an interest.  I am sure more teams will be interested and willing to pay more.  We WILL just accept the first offer as little old Norwich whether buying or selling always seem to not get what they could out of a transfer. 

Are we just too soft?

Knowing Norwich we will sell to Posh for 400k, with a 10% sell on clause.  They will sell him to a lowly Prem club in 2 years time for £6 or £7m, who in turn will sell him to a top Prem club or European club in another years time or so for £15m+.  How ironic that would be.

Yes, 400k is great money on an unproven player who is 3rd choice, but we should be keeping him, he is a local lad and from what I have seen and heard, he has massive potential, I would rather sell Marshall or Gilks, I feel we should send him out on loan and then next year he could be our number 1. We should not be selling our best players and especially ones who have come through our system.

Rant over with, (nearly) Glen keep him. He will be worth it. And if we do sell him, then we must, must make sure we put on either a massive sell on clause, or that we have first option on buying him back for a set fee, as others have mentioned here, I belive that he will be worth it and will be Englands keeper inj the future.

[quote user="gissing canary"]I am very concerned about this, an under 21 english keeper, 400k???
I would want a 25% sell on clause, and a buy back clause of 1-1.5mill if this is true.
The board could get this very very wrong!!

[/quote]

1 He hasn''t actually played for the under 21 s yet

2 Lee Camp had + had loads of Championship experience and he went for £300,000

3 What do you expect Joe to do for the next couple of years whilst Marshall is our number 1 or Steve Arnold, Declan Rudd etc

4 For the conspiracy theorists, this has nothing whatever to do with James Hollmans departure

[quote user="Whats a right winger"]

1 He hasn''t actually played for the under 21 s yet

3 What do you expect Joe to do for the next couple of years whilst Marshall is our number 1 or Steve Arnold, Declan Rudd etc

4 For the conspiracy theorists, this has nothing whatever to do with James Hollmans departure

[/quote]

This is one of the problems with keepers - the game is littered with lots of them who looked like the next great thing only to amount to nothing like it at the end of the day (eg Andy Marshall, Richard Wright). 

IMO however good people think he is, it seems he isn''t yet first choice material in the Championship and it simply wouldn''t be fair to stand in the lad''s way if he has the chance to move elsewhere for first team football - if we didn''t, he really wouldn''t stand any chance of realising his potential. 

400k (and hopefully decent add ons) for someone who has never played for the first team (well i can''t recall he has)  is not considered even second choice at the club when Gilks is fit is good business.

If that money means we can afford Taylor then its a no brainer surely?

Peterboro do have a bit of cash there newish chairman has a few quid does he not?

[quote user="Whats a right winger"]

[quote user="gissing canary"]I am very concerned about this, an under 21 english keeper, 400k???I would want a 25% sell on clause, and a buy back clause of 1-1.5mill if this is true.The board could get this very very wrong!![/quote]

1 He hasn''t actually played for the under 21 s yet

[/quote]Excellent points, well made. I still get a lingering feeling that he might end up becoming a real class act, but he''s been on our books for five years now and he''s not made a single appearance for the first team, so I guess our hand is forced to some extent.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

Just heard City have accepted a £400k bid from Posh for Joe Lewis. Its now over to the boy.

Source...a gd one, cant say but i am gutted if this happens and makes me wonder are we really that hard up? If this doesnt come to light i will look a right mug but im not lying. Im so pi$$ed off!!

The boy has soooooooo much potential what could he be worth in the long run!?

[/quote]

I can''t believe this for one second "can you sit down" I think the boy has much potential too much potential to let go . Besides have Posh got £400 k ? [:(] arrdee.

[/quote]

Posh are the Chelsea of Division 2, arrdee. Their Chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, a mad-keen Liverpool fan is a multi-millionaire property developer who bought the Posh on a whim having watched the '' fly-on-the-wall '' Ron Atkinson Sky TV documentary, " Big Ron Manager " .

He''s not afraid to splash the cash and it''ll be ironic if Joe Lewis replaces Peterborough''s current regular of over 10 years, Norwich born Mark Tyler, who himself is a keen City fan having been on our books as a schoolboy........

The problem is a difficult one in the question of how much do you put on a players potential?

There have been loads of promising young keepers over the years, who have done little since either leaving or joining big clubs, here''s a few you might remember:

Paul Rachubka - Came through Man Utd youth system and was hailed as a good young talent. Sold to Charlton for £200k and spent the next three years being loaned out to lower league sides before signing on a free for Blackpool this year.

Steve Simonsen - Burst onto the scene at Tranmere which earned him a high priced move to Everton, he then managed a mere 37 appearances for them before being offloaded on a free to Stoke in 2004.

Richard Wright - Meant to be the next England keeper after Seaman, who dramatically failed to perform following his move from Ipswich to Arsenal, and then the same at Everton, before going to West Ham this season on a free where''s he''s managed no games so far.

Luke Steele - Signed by Man Utd in 2002 for £500k from Peterborough...Managed a total of 0 games in his 4 years at Man Utd before being loaned to Coventry, then released on a free to WBA, where he managed 2 games, and was then loaned back to Coventry.

Yves Makabu-Makalambay - Chelsea youth keeper who they signed from PSV. Played in a Champs League game (Due to injuries to Cech, Cudicini and Hilario to be fair), and was released on a free this season to Hibs.

Alex Manninger - Signed by Arsenal as backup for Seaman for £500k, he managed 64 games in 4 years, loaned to Fiorentina after this and made 24 apps for them, then was sold to Espanyol for £950k and managed no games for them, and has since done nothing for the 4 clubs he''s played for after this...but has still managed 18 apps for Austria.

Stuart Taylor - Came through Arsenal''s youth team, and was expected by some to be Seaman''s replacement in the future. Despite this he managed just 30 games in his 8 years at Arsenal. He moved on a free to Villa in 2005 and has since made 11 starts for them.

Scott Howie - One of our own signings, Howie cost us £300k when signed from Clyde, but despite his potential was never ever to displace Mr Gunn from our net. Was sold to Motherwell for the same £300k we paid, and at one point was hotly tipped to displace Andy Goram as Scotland keeper - it didn''t happen. Following a £30k move to Reading, he spend the rest of his time in the lower english leagues.

I could go on, but you''re probably all bored by now.

The fact is that good, young keepers are often readily available, but they often fail to fulfill their potential, at least in many cases until the later parts of their career. Lewis may well be a hot prospect, and I''d like him to stay, but on the other hand, £400k for a player who is totally unproven at CCC level or better is not a poor amount.

Interesting that many who are upset about Lewis leaving due to his potential, haven''t given the similar level of support to Strihavka, who''s chances have also been limited. Both are desperate for first team football, both had potential, in fact Strihavka had already performed in the Czech league, yet apparently we couldn''t afford to wait for him to find his form as we need players performing now. Why is it that we''re willing to give time to Lewis but not Dave...

Coelho:

Excellent points, well made. I still get a lingering feeling that he might end up becoming a real class act, but he''s been on our books for five years now and he''s not made a single appearance for the first team, so I guess our hand is forced to some extent.

NOWT SPESHUL! Not made a single appearance for the first team.........yet he courts an alleged fee of £400,000?

Someone must see something in him......(apart from us, that is).

''If'' the ''alleged'' £400,000 goes on strengthening the squad.....it may soften the blow somewhat. Anyway, Â£400,000 would have only financed half an access road, so maybe - they may waste it on the squad and the kerbstones can wait.[:|] 

I s''pose this is irrelevant?

From BBC Sport website

Derby manager Paul Jewell is ready to pay £2m for Hull''s American-born goalkeeper Boaz Myhill. (Star)

OTBC

[quote user="BigFish"]

Hang on a minute, £400k for a third choice Championship GK who has never played a game for us - looks good business & good for the lad and good for Posh.

..............as long as Glen gets the cash to spend!

[/quote]

Just like Carson being sold by Leeds for £500k and is now rumoured to be joining Aston Villa (at the end of this seasons loan) for multi millions, £10m has been mentioned.

As for ''as long as Glen gets the cash to spend!'' . Didn''t someone say that the Earnshaw and Etuhu money would be added to the transfer fund ?!!?!? 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

NOWT SPESHUL! Not made a single appearance for the first team.........yet he courts an alleged fee of £400,000?

[/quote]

Probably the same people who signed Drury, Davies and Etherington from our youth system (when it got run down) and these players then got sold for £6m (Drury £500k back to us, Davies £4m Spurs to Everton and Etherington £1.5m Spurs to WHU.) .

[quote user="Canary Nut"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Anyway, Â£400,000 would have only financed half an access road, 

[/quote]

Don''t you mean a third of the access road ?

May be it should be called Lewis Lane.

[/quote]

Hey Lewis Lane! That comment''s Super........man.

[quote user="Canary Nut"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Probably the same people who signed Drury, Davies and Etherington from our youth system (when it got run down) and these players then got sold for £6m (Drury £500k back to us, Davies £4m Spurs to Everton and Etherington £1.5m Spurs to WHU.) .

[/quote]

yep, the same penny pinching,short term "saving" that costs us dearly in the long run, we wonder where the youth product has gone whilst we piece by piece dismantle the youth system; Potters Bar centre of Excellence,James Hollman,ect, our CEO clearly learns nothing from history.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I s''pose this is irrelevant?

From BBC Sport website

Derby manager Paul Jewell is ready to pay £2m for Hull''s American-born goalkeeper Boaz Myhill. (Star)

OTBC

[/quote]

Yep, totally irrelevant.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Like i said im not one to post rumours but i am pleased to say i told u so to some!

I still dont want the boy to go though!

Nexst stop: Tommy Wright GK coach.

[/quote]

Another good call[:)] CUSDP, you are fast becoming a fascinating source of information. Any more gems up your sleeve?[:D]

Had to register to join in this discussion.  A lot of you here seem to think if you can get £400k for a number 3 who hasn''t played in the first team yet you might as well sell Joe.  I''m therefore presuming that the majority haven''t seen Joe play for any length of time.

As a Morecambe supporter, I''ve seen Joe in most games this season home and away and can tell you that to accept £400k to a League 2 club is an appalling waste of talent.  Since starting the season with us, Joe has been absolutely exceptional.  His handling is first class, his presence and communication is excellent, and watching him come for high balls is a joy to behold,  He also catches every one of them.  He also has lighning reflexes and for his size, gets down exceptionally well.  There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that in the near future, Joe will be playing at a much higher level than League 2.  The thing is, although moneybags Peterborough can afford the £400k now, next year, maybe even in the summer, bigger clubs will come knocking, and if they then sell him for £2-3 million, who are the mugs?  I only hope the Watford stories are true, because he deserves his chance much higher up the league than a club who are obviously speculating to accumulate, although it''s not much of a speculation given his talent.

He''s been the difference for us between losing and winning some games this season, and our current 8th place in League 2 is testament to what he''s done for us.  I wish him well in whatever he decides, but will be gutted if he stays in League 2, as he deserves much better.

[quote user="Shrimp"]

Had to register to join in this discussion.  A lot of you here seem to think if you can get £400k for a number 3 who hasn''t played in the first team yet you might as well sell Joe.  I''m therefore presuming that the majority haven''t seen Joe play for any length of time.

As a Morecambe supporter, I''ve seen Joe in most games this season home and away and can tell you that to accept £400k to a League 2 club is an appalling waste of talent.  Since starting the season with us, Joe has been absolutely exceptional.  His handling is first class, his presence and communication is excellent, and watching him come for high balls is a joy to behold,  He also catches every one of them.  He also has lighning reflexes and for his size, gets down exceptionally well.  There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that in the near future, Joe will be playing at a much higher level than League 2.  The thing is, although moneybags Peterborough can afford the £400k now, next year, maybe even in the summer, bigger clubs will come knocking, and if they then sell him for £2-3 million, who are the mugs?  I only hope the Watford stories are true, because he deserves his chance much higher up the league than a club who are obviously speculating to accumulate, although it''s not much of a speculation given his talent.

He''s been the difference for us between losing and winning some games this season, and our current 8th place in League 2 is testament to what he''s done for us.  I wish him well in whatever he decides, but will be gutted if he stays in League 2, as he deserves much better.

[/quote]

i''ve been a frequent visitor on your messageboards to see your opinion on him so good to see hes helped out alot. The problem is though if we keep him he may not develop s he should do, if we let him go it could backfire on us. the Marshall situation at celtic may be a good example, if they''d kept him he may have stagnated, now hes playing first team football. while i want joe to stay if he needs first team football then who are we to stand in his way?

[quote user="Shrimp"]

[/quote]

Thanks for that Shrimp......[Y]

Thank goodness somebody else has posted who has seen Lewis play. THANKS SHRIMP. I have seen him too and he is exceptional. Roeder is so shortsighted it is unbelievable.

[quote user="tribes"]Roeder is so shortsighted it is unbelievable.[/quote]

And your evidence to back up this point is what exactly?

The only way we could be happy with this bit of business is if Joe definitely wanted to go, and we have a good 20%+ sell on clause. 

Yes he''s an exceptional prospect but he''s not going to realise that potential being our number 3.  I wish the lad good luck if he goes.

[quote user="tribes"]Thank goodness somebody else has posted who has seen Lewis play. THANKS SHRIMP. I have seen him too and he is exceptional. Roeder is so shortsighted it is unbelievable.[/quote]

would u rather have him sit on the bench for the best part of 3 seasons hoping Marshall gets injured or sent off? by then Lewis hasnt played any games, lost form, lost ability, and wont be anywhere near a decent keeper...

Reserve team football is no good to him...

u can only play 1 goalkeeper at a time.. the other one has to bide his time... or kick the other one in training.. to get a chance... Roeder is nto short sighted...

I gaurentee Lewis will NEVER play in the premiership...

jas :)