Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

joe lewis to Peterboro....£400k

Looks like nobody told Sammy McIlroy that Lewis is yet to be named...************************************From The Lancaster And Morecambe CitizenFORMER Morecambe loan keeper Joe Lewis is mulling over a shock £400,000 move from Norwich City to Peterborough United.Morecambe boss Sammy McIlroy says: "I spoke to the lad last night and he told me."I knew Peterborough were interested in him and we did put a bid in for him."But we can''t compete with £400,000. I am surprised with the move though."

With Joe''s possible move to Posh for £400,000 and the fact he put in so many decent performances for Morecambe, it does raise the question once again; why didn''t Grunt give him a go and save us the million pounds spent on Marshall to allow for team reinforcements elsewhere on the pitch? Still, he could have saved us the cool million wasted on Strihavka as well. Never mind!

£400k for our third choice keeper, bite their hands off.  If the £400k can secure the services of Taylor then this has to be a good move.  Yes Lewis has potential but in the situation we are in at the moment we need to ensure the clubs future is safe in this league. 

Wasn''t there a young "Posh" striker we were interested in - perhaps there''s a more complicated deal here?If it is simple, then since Joe is a potential £1m  player, we must have a hefty sell-on clause. Of all the youngsters at the club Joe probably has the greatest potential, and we really must not let him slip through our fingers.

It''s a shame to see him go.

I have afeeling he''s a future premiership keeper, and i''m slightly suprised with this. However, at the moment he is gonna be number 2 which is no good for him. The 400k may also be enough to get us Taylor, and will be a benefit for the team now, rather than having future potential.

I do wonder if perhaps we will have some buyback, first option on him though if he is as i expect going to get back up the ladder. This would help posh in the future, but in a couple of years they may make a profit, and we may be prepared to do so if Marshall is sold on, or we have better finances and progress to the Premiersip. It seems strange we''d give up all our rights to a homegrown, hugely talented keeper.

It could however be that there is less money avaialble than we thought, and we are actually having to well Lewis to fund january spendinmg???

Perhaps Lewis isnt as good as we all thought... Roeders had a look at him and lets face it Nigel worthington and Peter Grant all had the option of blooding Joe in Games against tin pot Outfits in the league cup and never did it.. Worthy and Grant also gave Paul Gallagher the nod over the supposed "future england number 1" Joe Lewis...

Im not suprised by this.. the fact that 3 managers have failed to give him a chance speaks volumes to me....

jas :)

I rate the peterborough stricker Maclean, young and enthustiastic with plenty of goal scoring ability. Quite pacy too.

I agree 3rd choice keeper for £400k is a good deal - and no1 will repalce marshall if hes fit.

Building up relationships with peterborough could mean we have a better chance of stealing their top scorer. 

[quote user="Salopian"]Wasn''t there a young "Posh" striker we were interested in - perhaps there''s a more complicated deal here?If it is simple, then since Joe is a potential £1m  player, we must have a hefty sell-on clause. Of all the youngsters at the club Joe probably has the greatest potential, and we really must not let him slip through our fingers.[/quote]a prayer i was resorting to

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Just heard City have accepted a £400k bid from Posh for Joe Lewis. Its now over to the boy.

Source...a gd one, cant say but i am gutted if this happens and makes me wonder are we really that hard up? If this doesnt come to light i will look a right mug but im not lying. Im so pi$$ed off!!

The boy has soooooooo much potential what could he be worth in the long run!?

[/quote]

You are spot on mate. Gotta hand it to ya. It is on EDP24 website

Looks like a good call by can u sit down please!
It is a surprise with all the good things we''ve heard about Joe, but as other posters have said, the boy won''t want to wait a couple of years for a chance with us. Good luck to him if it happens.
At least the transfer wheels are in motion now, so let''s get some players in, I can''t stand the tension[:S]

Surprised Posh have that kind of money but good deal for 3rd choice keeper.

We need the cash if we are going to be active in the market.

If NCFC can get 400K for Lewis then that would be a good piece of business as the money could be used to get in player''s a permanent contract who are currently on loan or make up the shortfall  for Taylor.

There is a big difference playing for Morecambe and a championship club and in any case NCFC have Marshall and Gilks. 

Funnily enough just yesterday I was lamenting the fact that we never seem to sell anyone for money... They are always released by "Mutual consent"

But even so, 400k for an England under 21 keeper?? Are we getting ripped off?? Or is he just not as good as we thought? Looks like the latter.

I can understand the logic of this from the points of view of everyone concerned - Joe wants first-team football, we have two competent and experienced keepers and need cash for other players, and Posh know a bargain when they see one - but it''s a blow for all of us who want to see homegrown players come good at Carrow Road. I would love to see him kept here, and given a chance to unseat Marshall. But realistically that''s unlikely this season, because we''re in a dogfight and to disrupt such communication as there is now between our defence and the keeper would be dangerous. We must have a hefty sell-on though, because goalkeeper prices have gone crazy lately.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Funnily enough just yesterday I was lamenting the fact that we never seem to sell anyone for money... They are always released by "Mutual consent"

But even so, 400k for an England under 21 keeper?? Are we getting ripped off?? Or is he just not as good as we thought? Looks like the latter.

[/quote]

I think its needs must in this case, we need more money for signings (as the Taylor situation proves) and have two capable goalkeepers.

I think the club needs to explain why this transfer is happening in order to avoid a PR disaster.

How long before Peterborough will sell Joe on for a hefty fee to Man Utd or Tottenham (remember Davies and Ellington anyone?) ?  I hope the club will have a LARGE sell on % that is bigger than the 15% - 25% range given the very low £400k fee.

Let us not forget that we have Arnold, Rudd (England U17) and Steer (England U16) coming through.

I dont agree with this at all... Worthington put him on the bench at 15 and while in the premiership... Grant always spoke highly of him but said he needed experience which all gk do, so rightly so sent him on loan to Stockport and Morecambe to gain this... He has come back with great reviews often making sunday papers team of the week...  

I think this is an easy option for Norwich to get money for a player that Roeder has NEVER seen play...

For Joe most properly the right one so he can play 1st team football but for Norwich most properly not as I think he will go on to be a premiership keeper if not an international...

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

I think the club needs to explain why this transfer is happening in order to avoid a PR disaster.

How long before Peterborough will sell Joe on for a hefty fee to Man Utd or Tottenham (remember Davies and Ellington anyone?) ?  I hope the club will have a LARGE sell on % that is bigger than the 15% - 25% range given the very low £400k fee.

Let us not forget that we have Arnold, Rudd (England U17) and Steer (England U16) coming through.

[/quote]

Hang on a minute, £400k for a third choice Championship GK who has never played a game for us - looks good business & good for the lad and good for Posh.

..............as long as Glen gets the cash to spend!

£400;000 is a club record fee. A lot to pay for a goalkeeper. Wonder why they are willing to pay so much.

If we do sell in my opinion its a clear sign we don''t have too much in the kitty for purchases this transfer window. We are obviously trying to raise funds before we can purchase/extend loans.

£400k for a one of our very very few promising youngsters doesn''t seem good business to me.

Where are Mr & Mrs Turner ? Where is the remainder of the £5m Earnie/Etuhu transfer fees that "went straight in to the managers kitty" at the start of the season ?

Interesting questions eh - will we get an answer ? - I guess not...but then again it is nearly season ticket renewal time.

I can see this deal going through to fund the purchase of Taylor - the board and Glenn Roeder will see this as the short term imperative - however what it shows to me is the sorry state our board have got this club into in that we have to sell one of the countries biggest goalkeeping prospects for £400k. I''m sure Roeder given the choice would have wanted to keep him - but in the circumstances you can understand why he may be forced to let him go. 

I am very concerned about this, an under 21 english keeper, 400k???I would want a 25% sell on clause, and a buy back clause of 1-1.5mill if this is true.The board could get this very very wrong!!

[quote]400k for a one of our very very few promising youngsters doesn''t seem good business to me.[/quote]Has Lewis even played a game at championship level yet ?  400k seems to be a lot of money for a player with only League 2 experience.  How much were you expecting ?[quote]however what it shows to me is the sorry state our board have got this

club into in that we have to sell one of the countries biggest

goalkeeping prospects for £400k[/quote]Have you considered that it might be that the lad wants to move on and actually play some first team football, has realised he isn''t going to get that chance here, and the club have got the best offer they could in those circumstances ?  Just a thought.

We''ve had lots of players with ''promise'' in recent years and none of them have come to anything substantial. If he was as good as is being made out, why aren''t other bigger clubs interested? And how old is Marshall? Only 23 or so isn''t he?

If it means we can strengthen the current team, then needs must in this instance.

[quote user="The Judge"]

If we do sell in my opinion its a clear sign we don''t have too much in the kitty for purchases this transfer window. We are obviously trying to raise funds before we can purchase/extend loans.

£400k for a one of our very very few promising youngsters doesn''t seem good business to me.

Where are Mr & Mrs Turner ? Where is the remainder of the £5m Earnie/Etuhu transfer fees that "went straight in to the managers kitty" at the start of the season ?

Interesting questions eh - will we get an answer ? - I guess not...but then again it is nearly season ticket renewal time.

I can see this deal going through to fund the purchase of Taylor - the board and Glenn Roeder will see this as the short term imperative - however what it shows to me is the sorry state our board have got this club into in that we have to sell one of the countries biggest goalkeeping prospects for £400k. I''m sure Roeder given the choice would have wanted to keep him - but in the circumstances you can understand why he may be forced to let him go. 

[/quote]

I am terribly disappointed that we ''may'' be selling young Joe. He''s certainly got a very bright future - and would have made a most excellent No1 for this club.

If possible, (and if I had the authority); I personally would have loaned him to Posh till the end of the season, and then reviewed the situation on whether we were still a Championship Club (or heaven forbid) passing Posh on the way down as they come up. Then sell Marshall on, and let Gilks and Lewis fight for the shirt during the pre-season friendlies. 

It could be as you say, that it will help finance the Taylor transfer......and would confirm that we''re seriously ''desperado for casho'' because Joe is a very good prospect and has matured rapidly in both his physique and mental attitude, and therefore really should be retained on the NCFC books till at least the summer - when we''ll have a more clearer understanding......''of our then, standing.''

Everything has a price........but I think the lad Joe, will be worth substantially even more before the onset of next season....It''s a bad move- (in my opinion).

Taylor''s impending return, will be hailed as the board''s continuing steadfast and ambitious attitude once again "rising to the fore!"......The Donkster will be gagged, Rogernator will be uttering nice things, and Mr Cullen (in the not too distant future) will ''once again,'' be raising his megaphone to his marketing mouthpiece and predictably calling the well versed and well rehearsed : "Roll Up! Roll Up! Come and get your season tickets while they''re still available.....They''re sellin'' like......really fast like......and faster than last season...ish...like" and Delia will just nod and smile......

It all stinks......    

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]400k for a one of our very very few promising youngsters doesn''t seem good business to me.[/quote]Has Lewis even played a game at championship level yet ?  400k seems to be a lot of money for a player with only League 2 experience.  How much were you expecting ?[quote]however what it shows to me is the sorry state our board have got this

club into in that we have to sell one of the countries biggest

goalkeeping prospects for £400k[/quote]Have you considered that it might be that the lad wants to move on and actually play some first team football, has realised he isn''t going to get that chance here, and the club have got the best offer they could in those circumstances ?  Just a thought.[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Foster_(footballer)Ben Foster never played for stoke!  and cost Man Utd 1mill for him.He may want games, but I would recommend he goes to a league 1 club, he could go up a division.But until we know the sell on clause, we cant judge too much.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]400k for a one of our very very few promising youngsters doesn''t seem good business to me.[/quote]

Has Lewis even played a game at championship level yet ?  400k seems to be a lot of money for a player with only League 2 experience.  How much were you expecting ?

[quote]however what it shows to me is the sorry state our board have got this club into in that we have to sell one of the countries biggest goalkeeping prospects for £400k[/quote]

Have you considered that it might be that the lad wants to move on and actually play some first team football, has realised he isn''t going to get that chance here, and the club have got the best offer they could in those circumstances ?  Just a thought.
[/quote]

Are those actually your personal thought''s? Or those, of a Waggish football writer?

[quote user="Glenn Victor Roeder"]

another championship Club with Norwich connections has expressed an interest. 

[/quote]

Who on earth can it be??  "Norwich connections"? . . . wait a minute . . . NOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

Tell me I''m wrong GVR [:''(]