Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Typical

"Forget all the negative talk of recent weeks, which I must admit is falling away a little, (are you reading Smudger?) this great football club is on the up."

The above comment sums up the nature of the majority of our supporters....

If it wasn''t the fact that Simon Lappin stepped up to take that free kick deep in to injury time against Luton a few short weeks ago then we would probably still be deep in the relegation fight.

We got off the hook that night and didn''t Delia & Co just know it???

Yes we have put up some battling displays lately and ambled towards mid-table obscurity, but has anything really changed?

There was talk of protest that many disagreed with, while others agreed that the board needed to be made aware of the fans feelings but that this should not be done until the team was safe....

haha we are safe now...  but do we see any signs of a protest NO... and nor are we likely to either...

Why not I hear you ask?

Have the board done anything to turn the club''s fortunes around since that Tuesday evening in Luton????

Let''s for all our sake''s hope that Granty can work some kind of magic and that the board will see the error of their ways in the summer.... because nothing much has changed.... and for this squad to have any chance of mounting a play-off push it still needs one hell of an over haul.

WOW yes we are on the up.... We have gone from relegation candidates to mid-table c**p.... hardly anything to get excited about given the set up of a club that should be pushing for promotion is it???

The door is still open Delia.... Top 6 next season... NO EXCUSES!!!!

The point of it all, Smudger, is that we have battled through the tough relegation games such as Luton and Leeds, and have beaten the league leaders (Brum) and play-off contenders (Stoke), keeping two clean sheets along the way.Not perfect, but the point is about belief - the players seem to have it, the manager has sh*t-loads of it and the fans are starting to get it as well.  Not belief that mid-table is good enough for our club - not by a long way - but belief that the remainder of this season and next season in particular are going to give the team something to get excited about.Hucks is on blistering form, we have discovered a new talent in Martin, Earnie is close to returning and the midfield appears, for now, to be finally getting its act together for the first time in 2 seasons.  Grant is scouting far afield and taking players on trial, as well as picking up some January bargains.  Big money signings in the summer are unlikely, but with the amount of money we spent on supposed "quality" like Hughes, who''s that upset?Top 6 next season? Hell, if we play like reports suggest recently then what''s wrong with Top 2? Certainly no more a deluded prediction than play-offs.Therefore, Norwich are a team "on the up".I understand your very personality draws you towards pessimism, but I would have hoped that even you would be able to see the large number of positives that have come out of the last few weeks.  I can, however, understand seeing only the negatives since we''ve had 2 years of abject shite, mostly, and it''s obviously hard for some people to get over it.If we can keep it up after the international break and carry it on til the end of the season, maybe then you''ll understand why everyone else is getting a little excited... I certainly hope NCFC can turn an unhappy Canary into a smiling one!

[quote user="Smudger"]

"Forget all the negative talk of recent weeks, which I must admit is falling away a little, (are you reading Smudger?) this great football club is on the up."

If it wasn''t the fact that Simon Lappin stepped up to take that free kick deep in to injury time against Luton a few short weeks ago then we would probably still be deep in the relegation fight.

Yes we have put up some battling displays lately and ambled towards mid-table obscurity, but has anything really changed?

There was talk of protest that many disagreed with, while others agreed that the board needed to be made aware of the fans feelings but that this should not be done until the team was safe....

haha we are safe now...  but do we see any signs of a protest NO... and nor are we likely to either...

Why not I hear you ask?

Have the board done anything to turn the club''s fortunes around since that Tuesday evening in Luton????

Let''s for all our sake''s hope that Granty can work some kind of magic and that the board will see the error of their ways in the summer.... because nothing much has changed.... and for this squad to have any chance of mounting a play-off push it still needs one hell of an over haul.

WOW yes we are on the up.... We have gone from relegation candidates to mid-table c**p.... hardly anything to get excited about given the set up of a club that should be pushing for promotion is it???

[/quote]

As you rightly say, Smudge, Nothing to get excited about.

I''m not getting excited, just hopeful that Granty will be able to put his own personal stamp on the team and show an improvement on what has admittedly been a season of utter dross. All I ever asked was that Granty be given time to see if he was man enough for the job. The Jury is still out but I am hopeful that next years results will measure up to what we all want.

Yes, it''s terrible isn''t it - if we hadn''t started playing well, looking more organised, scoring more goals, conceding less and then beating those pesky teams we''d realise just how bad things really are.

The day you finally go to a game will be the day that a lot of people take your opinions on how we''re playing seriously. Until then, with regards to team performance, you have no evidence with which to create an opinion.

Agreed Smudger...it seems that avoiding relegation with a poor team is now something to celebrate. I''ve joined you (and many others) in staying away from the club until DS and Co. depart....for no other reason than I was rapidly losing interest in the club (2007 style) and it''s fortunes. After 40 odd years of endless ups and downs....this has never happened to me before.

Naturally I wish them well...but after this May I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity. Protest is only worthwhile if others share the view that the club is floundering....but being so easily pleased, it seems Delia Smith has the modern day fans exactly where she wants them...in "Little old Norwich" mode going nowhere.

Not for me I''m afraid.

[quote user="Safri15"]

The day you finally go to a game will be the day that a lot of people take your opinions on how we''re playing seriously. Until then, with regards to team performance, you have no evidence with which to create an opinion.

[/quote]

should Grant take us up next season (or anyseason for that matter) Smudger will be the first in the que for a season ticket.. then the first to whinge because he cant get one!

jas :)

[quote user="Cluck "]

I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity.

[/quote]

Not going to be tuning into her new TV cookery series then Cluckywuck?

I hope you realise that, in every likelihood, you will be away from Carrow Road for a fairly long time if you''re waiting for Delia to leave...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Safri15"]

[/quote]

should Grant take us up next season (or anyseason for that matter) Smudger will be the first in the que for a season ticket.. then the first to whinge because he cant get one!

jas :)

[/quote]

No I won''t... The only time that I was a bit miffed regarding not getting a ticket was the Inter Milan (h) game in Europe when after only having an attendance of only 16,000+ for City''s first ever game in Europe against Vitesse, tickets ended up in the hands of people who I knew at the time were actively going along wanting Inter to win as 3 tickets each were given to Season Ticket Holders (who sold them off randomly) before club members got a sniff of them!!!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

Why not I hear you ask?

[/quote]

As you rightly say, Smudge, Nothing to get excited about.

I''m not getting excited, just hopeful that Granty will be able to put his own personal stamp on the team and show an improvement on what has admittedly been a season of utter dross. All I ever asked was that Granty be given time to see if he was man enough for the job. The Jury is still out but I am hopeful that next years results will measure up to what we all want.

[/quote]

RICARDO, I too am impressed with Granty and all the noises that he is making...

What I am not impressed with is the Silence where things really matter though.... IN THE BOARDROOM|!!!

The bottom line is that nothing much will change over the course of next season unless Granty is given some serious cash to play with...  We need to bring 4 quality players in (minimum), plus a few loanees (back up players) if we are to come anywhere near challenging for promotion.

It seems to me that the majority of our fans would be happy with 10th place or 8th place next season because at least it will show some improvement from this wretched affair...

Anything short of 6th place next year should be totally unacceptable (but it won''t be in the average City fans eyes because we only need to look at the last two seasons for evidence of this).

[quote user="Smudger"]

Anything short of 6th place next year should be totally unacceptable (but it won''t be in the average City fans eyes because we only need to look at the last two seasons for evidence of this).

[/quote]

For the sake of argument lets assume the current bottom 3 of the Premiership get relegated and the current top 3 of the Championship get promoted.

That would leave us with : Charlton, Watford, West Ham, Preston, Wolves, WBA, Cardiff, Southampton, Stoke, Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wed, Coventry, Norwich and Leicester whose fans all believe anything short of 6th place next year should be totally unacceptable. Do the maths Smudger! 14 won''t go into 6!

Just like investment won''t gaurantee success. The more clubs that are invested in the more will fail. The three relegated clubs will have most money next season but I wouldn''t want to bet that they are the three who are promoted.

I am as ambitious for Norwich City as you are Smudger, so don''t just dismiss what I am saying and brand me as someone who is happy to finish mid table or worse. Keep the debate going and tell me what we can do to put us at the head of that list of clubs. But don''t just say "spend most money"!

[quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="Cluck "]

I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity.

[/quote]

I hope you realise that, in every likelihood, you will be away from Carrow Road for a fairly long time if you''re waiting for Delia to leave...

[/quote]

Oh ye of little faith.......[:)]

She''ll see the error of her ways and be gone inside two years....if not I personally promise to consume one of her donkey burgers without wretching....Can''t say fairer than that I don''t think?

Smudger and Cluck attempt to rewrite history. To be honest, considering how certain you and Ronbol (x2) were that we would DEFINITELY be relegated this season (and don''t say you weren''t because that is what you were writing on here a few weeks ago), the performances of the last few weeks should certainly be something to get excited about. Its, therefore, pretty bl**dy rich when you accuse other people of moving the goalposts.  

[quote user="Cluck "]

Agreed Smudger...it seems that avoiding relegation with a poor team is now something to celebrate. I''ve joined you (and many others) in staying away from the club until DS and Co. depart....for no other reason than I was rapidly losing interest in the club (2007 style) and it''s fortunes. After 40 odd years of endless ups and downs....this has never happened to me before.

Naturally I wish them well...but after this May I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity. Protest is only worthwhile if others share the view that the club is floundering....but being so easily pleased, it seems Delia Smith has the modern day fans exactly where she wants them...in "Little old Norwich" mode going nowhere.

Not for me I''m afraid.

[/quote]

As usual more chickensh1te...

How many on this forum support Norwich because of Delia and celebrity then Cluck?!?

Get in the real world Cluck, if you think the modern supporter see''s Delia as a celebrity icon, and supports Norwich due to this, then you are VERY much mistaken. It''s hardly like when the Gallagher brothers stormed the mid 90''s music scene and all the teenagers were then suddenly running around wearing Man City tops...(''Always f00kin supported ''em mate, mad fer it'').

Laughable.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Smudger and Cluck attempt to rewrite history. To be honest, considering how certain you and Ronbol (x2) were that we would DEFINITELY be relegated this season (and don''t say you weren''t because that is what you were writing on here a few weeks ago), the performances of the last few weeks should certainly be something to get excited about. Its, therefore, pretty bl**dy rich when you accuse other people of moving the goalposts.  [/quote]

Absolutely right Mac!,

I seem to remember not being able to read a thread without having it rammed down our throats that us believers were living in cloud cuckoo land if we thought we would stay up!. We WERE, yes WERE, relegated!. 

It''s nice for the positive supporters to have a moment to gloat...Always said we''d stay up and never felt that was in doubt...EVER!.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh ye of little faith.......[:)]

She''ll see the error of her ways and be gone inside two years....if not I personally promise to consume one of her donkey burgers without wretching....Can''t say fairer than that I don''t think?

[/quote]

Done. (My first point was one of them curve balls... You''ve already admitted in the past your deep love for our Deals cooking stylistics! - aren''t I tricky innit...)

I personally think we will be good in two years, but if we''re still struggling she might fancy a break from the club by then anyway. So either way, someone will be happy...

Forget all the negative talk of recent weeks, which I must admit is falling away a little, (are you reading Smudger?) this great football club is on the up."

Talk about stirring up a hornets nest but I wrote this as in my opinion Smudger and Co seem to have gone quiet since we started winning! It''s almost as if they are disapointed?

I was at Luton and yes we got out of jail, I was at Barnsley and after the first half we should have had 5. The point is on our day the Canaries are as good as any team in this league, how many teams have beaten Birmingham home and away?

We have had 3 dreadful seasons and I didn''t renew my season ticket this year as Worthy was still in the hot seat. The board made the change too late but I believe they now have the right man in charge and we need to back the whole club. As 15,000 fans have already renewed their season tickets it looks like I am not the only one who thinks the same.

Smudger if you fancy discussing this over a beer why don''t we meet up at the KC Stadium on Good Friday,  you should have plenty of time on your hands as there is no demo to organise anymore!

smudgey, clooky and the rest. seriously button it now, people actually considered what you were saying a few monthes back when we were looking at league one... well some did others didnt.

now we are safe and grants doing all the right things no one actually cares about what your are saying now. see... hmm smudgey, did i read right and you said something along the lines of being glad that Grants doing what hes doing?

now... who was it who employed Grant... the board... and now Grant is doing what he can to build a team fit for promotion... hmm.... so if the math is correct... the board hired a manager who is trying to do what he can to get out of this league... = ambition.

now thats strange isn''t it.... your claims don''t add up.

now do all a favour and go back to plotting your next little rant.

So everyone is getting excited about Grant, can I ask why? what has he actually done in almost one full season? apart from feed you all waffle and stay rooted to the bottom third of the table.With players like Hux, Earnie, Martin and DD our forward line looks rather tasty for next season, our 4 best players by a long shot,  all brought in by Worthington, as far as I''m concerned, Grant has done nothing yet to suggest he is better than Worthington, except for spinning waffle in which he must hold a degree with honors!

I certainly agree with Macdougall on this - Smudger et al do seem to think their opinion is the only one that is right and claim to be ''the realists'' of these Boards; the problem with that is that he stated categorically only a few weeks ago that we were certainties for relegatation and just 6 games ago insisted we would do no better than 47 points. That we are already 3 ahead of this target with 8 games remaining does suggest that several other more appropriate words exist rather than ''realism'' for what he espouses!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]So everyone is getting excited about Grant, can I ask why? what has he actually done in almost one full season? apart from feed you all waffle and stay rooted to the bottom third of the table.

With players like Hux, Earnie, Martin and DD our forward line looks rather tasty for next season, our 4 best players by a long shot,  all brought in by Worthington, as far as I''m concerned, Grant has done nothing yet to suggest he is better than Worthington, except for spinning waffle in which he must hold a degree with honors!
[/quote]

Grant has instilled some belief into the fans. He is saying what we want to hear about the players and off field activities like scouting, he has brought in a back-room team that is getting better performances out of some key players (Etuhu and Hughes), he is giving the youngsters a chance either here (Martin, Eagle) or on loan and maybe in doing so re-kindling careers (Ryan Jarvis). He is shipping out players most fans have given up hope in (McVeigh, Robinson). In only one transfer window he has started bringing in players who are making a difference (Lappin) but he will need probably 2 more to rebuild a small, underperforming squad (with very high wages at a time when parachute payments are going). Yes he talks a lot but he is starting to deliver.

Smudger, our board didn''t get off the hook, but are seeing the results of installing a bright, young ambitious manager to turn around the club. His budget will be millions of pounds for next season, but many won''t count it as it will be spent on wages, agents fees, as well as transfer fees. He will balance this budget with selling under performing, over paid players and bringing in younger, ambitious players from lower leagues but many won''t recognise this as good either as they will be looking for household names to come in. I think the future is bright, and this doesn''t mean I accept mediocrity either. Top 6 is undoubtedly the target for next season, but I would think this will be tough considering the other teams all fighting for a top 6 place, and our current squad predicament. I would be happy to see next season used as a re-building season, with us challenging automatic promotion the year after. A mid-table finish this season, after the threat of being dragged into a relegation battle, is a step in the right direction, surely?

lol, nearly a full season? Get real he''s been here since then end of OCtober, that''s about half a season up till now.

During that time he''s had many injuries to our woefully small squad,and had a HELL of a lot of rebuilding to do, which has started and is moving along nicely.

As for the 4 best players, earnie has harldy played for grant, Martin was NOTHING to do with NW, nad would of still been sitting in the youth team while we wasted cash on 2/3 useless loan players while Earnie was injured.

Hux was and is a great signing, made in the period before NW lost the plot. Yes he was a good manager once, till he lost his way.

In the last ferw games we''ve played better than at any time this season, including when earnie was fit and firing.

erm... martin was brought in by grant, under worthy he would still be in the academy playing in reserves

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I certainly agree with Macdougall on this - Smudger et al do seem to think their opinion is the only one that is right and claim to be ''the realists'' of these Boards; the problem with that is that he stated categorically only a few weeks ago that we were certainties for relegatation and just 6 games ago insisted we would do no better than 47 points. That we are already 3 ahead of this target with 8 games remaining does suggest that several other more appropriate words exist rather than ''realism'' for what he espouses!

[/quote]

hehehe So says a member of the we can reach the play-off''s brigade!!!

[quote user="Putney Canary"]

[quote user="John Boubepo"]So everyone is getting excited about Grant, can I ask why? what has he actually done in almost one full season? apart from feed you all waffle and stay rooted to the bottom third of the table.

With players like Hux, Earnie, Martin and DD our forward line looks rather tasty for next season, our 4 best players by a long shot,  all brought in by Worthington, as far as I''m concerned, Grant has done nothing yet to suggest he is better than Worthington, except for spinning waffle in which he must hold a degree with honors!
[/quote]

Grant has instilled some belief into the fans. He is saying what we want to hear about the players and off field activities like scouting, he has brought in a back-room team that is getting better performances out of some key players (Etuhu and Hughes), he is giving the youngsters a chance either here (Martin, Eagle) or on loan and maybe in doing so re-kindling careers (Ryan Jarvis). He is shipping out players most fans have given up hope in (McVeigh, Robinson). In only one transfer window he has started bringing in players who are making a difference (Lappin) but he will need probably 2 more to rebuild a small, underperforming squad (with very high wages at a time when parachute payments are going). Yes he talks a lot but he is starting to deliver.

Smudger, our board didn''t get off the hook, but are seeing the results of installing a bright, young ambitious manager to turn around the club. His budget will be millions of pounds for next season, but many won''t count it as it will be spent on wages, agents fees, as well as transfer fees. He will balance this budget with selling under performing, over paid players and bringing in younger, ambitious players from lower leagues but many won''t recognise this as good either as they will be looking for household names to come in. I think the future is bright, and this doesn''t mean I accept mediocrity either. Top 6 is undoubtedly the target for next season, but I would think this will be tough considering the other teams all fighting for a top 6 place, and our current squad predicament. I would be happy to see next season used as a re-building season, with us challenging automatic promotion the year after. A mid-table finish this season, after the threat of being dragged into a relegation battle, is a step in the right direction, surely?

[/quote]

A bright young manager?   Surely what Grant has delivered is the very least that any City fan would of accepted from a new manager (no more, no less)???

Turn the club around???  We were never in any danger of going down in most peoples eyes (apparantly).

His budget will be £millions next season?   Don''t make me laugh!!!

I agree that Grant is doing well with the little money he has been given...  I do not believe that Worthy (in his later days) would of got 2 reasonable players in (Chadwick & Lappin) if he was given only £500k plus to spend on bringing 4 new players in... two out of 4 with that kind of money to spend is pretty good going in anybody''s books.

and finally you have stated what I believe to be true of most City fans... you would be happy with another season of mid-table dross next season....

I Thank You!!!

[quote user="Rupethebear"]

Forget all the negative talk of recent weeks, which I must admit is falling away a little, (are you reading Smudger?) this great football club is on the up."

Talk about stirring up a hornets nest but I wrote this as in my opinion Smudger and Co seem to have gone quiet since we started winning! It''s almost as if they are disapointed?

I was at Luton and yes we got out of jail, I was at Barnsley and after the first half we should have had 5. The point is on our day the Canaries are as good as any team in this league, how many teams have beaten Birmingham home and away?

We have had 3 dreadful seasons and I didn''t renew my season ticket this year as Worthy was still in the hot seat. The board made the change too late but I believe they now have the right man in charge and we need to back the whole club. As 15,000 fans have already renewed their season tickets it looks like I am not the only one who thinks the same.

Smudger if you fancy discussing this over a beer why don''t we meet up at the KC Stadium on Good Friday,  you should have plenty of time on your hands as there is no demo to organise anymore!

[/quote]

Rupert - have you never heard the expression "Let sleeping dogs lie"??

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I agree the negative talk has died down a little and that is down to 2 reasons.

1) Smudger and cluck have posted no where near as much as usual over the last couple of weeks, i guess this is as most of the posts have not been about bad performances or the board.

2) Grant is starting to have an influence over the Team and they have started to play a little football.

Smudger, check on the difference in meanings of the words CAN and WILL.

We CAN still leave this league in either direction.  Realistically, we WILL do neither.

We CAN still finish above Derby (23pts behind with 24pts remaining). We WILL, realistically, finish below them.