Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

If Football Was Simple, Then Smudger Would Be Chairman

......but it''s not. Those that aim complaints of incompetence at Delia and the Board, with some even throwing accusations that money is being taken out of the club rather than re-invested need to come to grips with their over-zealous ( I''m being kind ) level of criticism and look at what other clubs, many bigger than us and others with wealthy benefactors who, for the moment, are sinking money into clubs and incurring significant losses year on year.

In stark comparison to Norwich, West Ham have poured mega millions into transfer fees and find themselves presently with the same number of points as Norwich had after 27 Premiership games. So money is not necessarily the answer that many use as an excuse, is it? West Ham reached this position utilising two managers that many were calling for Norwich to pursue. So that is not necessarily the answer either is it? As far as those that say we need new ownership, the arrival of Eggert Magnusson at West Ham with his "I don''t suffer fools gladly" attitude has not reduced the suffering to date, has it? Despite Whelan''s money "support" Wigan''s manager laments over their inability to draw decent crowds, attracting only 15,000 at home to Arsenal this season. Reading are having a good season ( and I like how Madejski and Coppell are going about things ) but so were Wigan and West Ham last season.  

Yes, we''ve had a rough ride since procrastinating on the Worthington tenure, but we are seeing some new faces and oopportunity for young blood as well as putting some youngsters out on loan. It''s taking patience but the signs of things turning are beginning to show. We are right to be concerned at the prospect of relegation but let''s try looking at the hurdles faced by us and other clubs objectively. If 50 points gives a reasonable chance for safety then I would have to say our hurdle ( 13 points needed in 15 games ) looks a lot like Beechers Brook than what faces Hull, Southend and Leeds, who need 18 or 19 points in 13 games ( 12 games in Southend''s case ), and we are not the only club having to be concerned what those three teams do. There are at least 5 other clubs that have equal or greater concern than we do.

Running football clubs is not for the meek of heart or those who have nothing more than the price of a season''s ticket on the line. It takes the willingness to put big money ( for them ) on the line, guts, patience, loyalty and a whole lot of other things including the the ability to put up with a few loudmouth critics without resorting to the media to throw insults back. Let''s be grateful for what we''ve got because, despite our current position in the table, compared to most football clubs in the U.K., we''ve got a lot. 

Can I join the group hug!

Seems pretty much to sum up many of my views and opinions.

Yes, offsprings of a Norfolk hero, those things are worrying but the initial thread asked us to take an overall view of the situation and not dwell on single facts.  I would rather be in our position withour board, management and squad than a lot of the teams bothin our league and others.  No-one is saying they are perfect and I do not agree with all that has been done but I believe the transparency is there alomgside the honesty.  You might not like some of the statements, especially from Neil Doncaster, but they do make sense.  The bottom line is that it takes a lot of money to run a football club, all decisions regarding the management and playing staff are gambles that have no guarantee of success, and fans opinions whilst sincerely held are seldom unanimous

To counter the bad luck, Martin and Brown are looking better with each game, Huckerby is back on form, other players are gaining experience with other clubs and the coaching staff has been re-vamped.  Stay cool and get behind the lads. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Let''s be grateful for what we''ve got...

[/quote]And just what is that exactly? A dreadful team sliding down the league, playing some of the worst football we have seen at Carrow Rd for a long time. It''s all very well comparing us with struggling Premiership teams, but we are not in the Premiership. Other Championship sides are our benchmark, and we don''t even compare well with the likes of Colchester or Plymouth, nevermind teams like Birmingham and West Brom.So we should accept our fate and go quietly down to League One, should we?

YC - you''ve struck a chord with a lot of people, me included. I believe that the persistent whingers are helping to create the result that they take delight in predicting - good players leaving because of the constant carping, likewise a caring and conscientious board, the consequent disintegration of the club, and relegation. I guess they''re just doing what they can to prove themselves right - fair enough by their lights, I suppose.

Great post Yankee.

As you say compared with other clubs we''ve got a lot!

Its not how what you spend its who you spend it on, Westham have not exactly wisely have they. The two argies were forced on them killing team spirit. Westbrom and Brum have kept players and spent they look like going back up, you have to speculate to accumalate, some get it wrong some get it right but spend you must if you want to be a force.

[quote user="Old Boy"]YC - you''ve struck a chord with a lot of people, me included. I believe that the persistent whingers are helping to create the result that they take delight in predicting - good players leaving because of the constant carping, likewise a caring and conscientious board, the consequent disintegration of the club, and relegation. I guess they''re just doing what they can to prove themselves right - fair enough by their lights, I suppose.
[/quote]

Constant carping by the fans, has caused and created the current situation at the club.

Sack the whingeing fans!

Good post though, ankle hoodie yankee.........

10 Bryceland - Forgot to mention that DD may also be injured for a period, just to add to the concern. Each of these "single facts" leads to the bigger picture regarding the paucity of the squad, a few chickens coming home to roost following the failure of the board to back their man with hard cash?. Just because I have a different opinion does not mean that I do not "get behind the lads", so I would thank you for not tyring to "pigeon hole" me. The overall view I have is of a board that fiddled will Rome burned, failed to grasp with both hands the opportunity that Prem football gave us, made lots of bold statements about the future direction of the club but now plead poverty despite having 20,000+ season ticket holders and 20,000+ fans at every home league match so far this season, if you and Yankee are happy with that then fine, but I am not so do not pee down my back and tell me it is raining.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]10 Bryceland - Forgot to mention that DD may also be injured for a period, just to add to the concern. Each of these "single facts" leads to the bigger picture regarding the paucity of the squad, a few chickens coming home to roost following the failure of the board to back their man with hard cash?. Just because I have a different opinion does not mean that I do not "get behind the lads", so I would thank you for not tyring to "pigeon hole" me. The overall view I have is of a board that fiddled will Rome burned, failed to grasp with both hands the opportunity that Prem football gave us, made lots of bold statements about the future direction of the club but now plead poverty despite having 20,000+ season ticket holders and 20,000+ fans at every home league match so far this season, if you and Yankee are happy with that then fine, but I am not so do not pee down my back and tell me it is raining.[/quote]

Sorry to butt in on this thread SOB but I can''t find the one where we had a discussion about relegation last week. But they are connected and I did seriously see where you was coming from. Of all the reasons you gave there, fixture congestion with a small squad was I believe one of the main ones. Although I still don''t think we will be relegated, or even come close, I think the injury to Marshall is a real bombshell.

Mello likened our predicament to the first premiership relegation. I said it was different this time because we had taken action to stop the rot and what I meant was that season we didn''t bring in a keeper when one was so obviously needed. This season we have brought one in and since lost him. I believe we must now find a replacement as a matter of urgency. To not do so could well be "fiddling while Rome burns"!

Whoa there Sons!  A thousand apologies for implying that you did not get behind the lads.  I was trying to say that there is a bright side to look at whilst all of you sons are cheering madly.  I will in future read my post several times and try and eliminate any possibility of misunderstanding, pigeon-holing or other obvious flaws in my argument.  As I said there are things I am not happy with.  I cannot agree with the constant rhetoric concerning the ability of our squad and that we should be challenging for promotion with the current incumbents.  The table does not lie.  Whilst there are temporary blips in our form the overall trend since the day we won promotion is of poor performances and poorer results.  Character and determination count for a lot as well.  I do not accept that to play well and lose is a moral victory.  Any defeat by 2 goals or more is bad and should be looked upon as such.  But, hope springs eternal.  At the end of the day we all care deeply about our club don''t we?

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

And just what is that exactly?

A dreadful team sliding down the league, playing some of the worst football we have seen at Carrow Rd for a long time. It''s all very well comparing us with struggling Premiership teams, but we are not in the Premiership.

Other Championship sides are our benchmark, and we don''t even compare well with the likes of Colchester or Plymouth, nevermind teams like Birmingham and West Brom.

So we should accept our fate and go quietly down to League One, should we?

[/quote]

Spot on PYRO...  [Y]

How can YC even contemplate comparing us to West Ham, Wigan, Watford & Co? 

Ho wmany of those 3 clubs if they are relegated will be fighting to stay in the Championship in a year or 2 YC???

Pathetic post... absolutely pathetic... Another year from now and we will be struggling to compare ourselves with the likes of Hartlepool and Peterborough!!!

[quote user="Old Boy"]YC - you''ve struck a chord with a lot of people, me included. I believe that the persistent whingers are helping to create the result that they take delight in predicting - good players leaving because of the constant carping, likewise a caring and conscientious board, the consequent disintegration of the club, and relegation. I guess they''re just doing what they can to prove themselves right - fair enough by their lights, I suppose.
[/quote]

How dare you OLD BOY???

In my opinion it is the likes of you who sit apathetically by and let our club slide in to the abyss of Div 1 who are to blame for the clubs demise... FOR GODS SAKE SHOW SOME PASSION MAN...

This club is stuck on the rocks and sinking fast... while Delia sits with fools like you and giggles!!!  [:@]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]10 Bryceland - Forgot to mention that DD may also be injured for a period, just to add to the concern. Each of these "single facts" leads to the bigger picture regarding the paucity of the squad, a few chickens coming home to roost following the failure of the board to back their man with hard cash?. Just because I have a different opinion does not mean that I do not "get behind the lads", so I would thank you for not tyring to "pigeon hole" me. The overall view I have is of a board that fiddled will Rome burned, failed to grasp with both hands the opportunity that Prem football gave us, made lots of bold statements about the future direction of the club but now plead poverty despite having 20,000+ season ticket holders and 20,000+ fans at every home league match so far this season, if you and Yankee are happy with that then fine, but I am not so do not pee down my back and tell me it is raining.[/quote]

Well said SOB...

Although we have not agreed on many occasions...  I believe you have the right to voice whatever your opinion is... and if there are large enough numbers to voice the growing concern of many fans in Delia & Co''s direction then I for one am prepared to turn up to any demonstration and try to be 100% behind them!!!

[/quote]

Old Boy, there''s nothing I''d like better than to be proved wrong.  And soon.

I don''t want to sound picky or pedantic here YC but you said  - "It''s taking patience but the signs of things turning are beginning to show" - what exactly are those signs and what exactly is beginning to show? by the way I''m not a loud mouthed critic or a Delia outer but I''m genuinely interested in what you see, that I don''t

A very well considered post YC, with paragraphs too ! (ha ha).

One necessary consideration to add to the mix I feel is Lady Luck.

Most managers/clubs in their successful periods tend to have luck, very often in the shape of an out-of-the-blue successful player, Hucks for Worthy , A.J. for Dowie when at Palace, Rooney for Moyes at Everton etc..

Whilst I don''t like PG, I have to admit that whilst a lot of his misfortunes are self inflicted he has been desperately unlucky with injuries to our "better" players and my sympathies are with him(and us) on that score.

I agree with Smudger that we are "stuck on the rocks" but that only means we wont sink yet, but just stay there until we break-up ! But hey before that happens an out-of-the-blue successful player may come galloping to PG''s rescue and change his luck and more importantly ours!

Anyway,again, a very good post, one of your best . IMVHO of course

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

And just what is that exactly?

A dreadful team sliding down the league, playing some of the worst football we have seen at Carrow Rd for a long time. It''s all very well comparing us with struggling Premiership teams, but we are not in the Premiership.

Other Championship sides are our benchmark, and we don''t even compare well with the likes of Colchester or Plymouth, nevermind teams like Birmingham and West Brom.

So we should accept our fate and go quietly down to League One, should we?

[/quote]

Spot on PYRO...  [Y]

How can YC even contemplate comparing us to West Ham, Wigan, Watford & Co? 

Ho wmany of those 3 clubs if they are relegated will be fighting to stay in the Championship in a year or 2 YC???

Pathetic post... absolutely pathetic... Another year from now and we will be struggling to compare ourselves with the likes of Hartlepool and Peterborough!!!

[/quote]

Can understand your passion Smudge but that last bit is a little over the top by any sensible analysis.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

How dare you OLD BOY???

In my opinion it is the likes of you who sit apathetically by and let our club slide in to the abyss of Div 1 who are to blame for the clubs demise... FOR GODS SAKE SHOW SOME PASSION MAN...

This club is stuck on the rocks and sinking fast... while Delia sits with fools like you and giggles!!!  [:@]

[/quote]

How does a fan show passion? By going along and cheering until his throat is sore, or by staying at home and sulking because he doesn''t like the people in the directors box?

For Gods Sake Show Some Passion Man.

Congratulations YC at last a well measured post, using what are known as factual statements or at least good judgement. As has been said before non factual statements and downright lies are used to illustrate poorly formulated ideas that are supposed to be formulae that will put the club to rights.  When only cool heads and sound business principles can keep this club on the right lines and allow the manager and players to do the job as well as they can with what they''ve got.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

How dare you OLD BOY???

[/quote]

Exactly smudger, its your opinion. And to ask him to show some passion is ridiculous; when if i remember you''re the one refusing to go to games etc...And to claim he''s a fool is another thing - Just because he doesnt agree with you.