Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Southend player ratings

Finally got to a game this season, I aint missed much...

Gallagher - 6 - Nothing much to do.

Hughes - 7 - Looked after the dangerous Campbell-Ryce. Didnt do much in attack but looked solid defensively. Seems to have won over some of the fans.

Shackell - 7 - Again solid defensively, his distribution seems to be as poor as ever mind you.

Doc - 7 - Won most of his headers, but again didnt have much to do.

Colin - 6 - Had nothing to do defensively, with the majority of Southends attacks going down the right wing. Was poor in attack though, no quality balls, and didnt beat a man.

Robinson - 5 - Poor. Lazy and never got stuck in. The fans dont help by getting on his back but I suppose its expected these days.

Etuhu - 6 - Barely a 6. Again very lazy. Seemed scared to pull the trigger in the box, and didnt really get stuck in in defence.

Croft - 6 - Ran around a lot, and helped out in defence. Got in some good positions but no end product.

Hucks - 6 - Saw a hell of a lot of the ball in the second half with no end product. And was very very lazy in defence.

Dion 7 - Not a bad game. Won a lot of ball in the air.

Earnie - 6 - Lively in attack. But I dont think ive ever seen a division leading goalscorer miskick the ball so many times. Had a good three or four chances in the first half where he should have buried at least a couple.

Subs

Safri - 7 - We improved when he came on, the ball was distributed better. However it must be noted that his arrival occurred just after the sending off so naturally we had more time and space.

A few extras..

1 - Why did we not throw on an extra striker? Its 0-0, against 10 men who are bottom of the league, why not throw on thorne or mcveigh??

2 - We urgently need to sort out our midfield.

3 - The team seemed to be so lazy in attack and defence. If the ball wasnt played straight to a players feet then the receiving player didnt make the effort. THe central midfielders didnt close down. Etc etc.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Finally got to a game this season, I aint missed much...

Gallagher - 6 - Nothing much to do.

Hughes - 7 - Looked after the dangerous Campbell-Ryce. Didnt do much in attack but looked solid defensively. Seems to have won over some of the fans.

Shackell - 7 - Again solid defensively, his distribution seems to be as poor as ever mind you.

Doc - 7 - Won most of his headers, but again didnt have much to do.

Colin - 6 - Had nothing to do defensively, with the majority of Southends attacks going down the right wing. Was poor in attack though, no quality balls, and didnt beat a man.

Robinson - 5 - Poor. Lazy and never got stuck in. The fans dont help by getting on his back but I suppose its expected these days.

Etuhu - 6 - Barely a 6. Again very lazy. Seemed scared to pull the trigger in the box, and didnt really get stuck in in defence.

Croft - 6 - Ran around a lot, and helped out in defence. Got in some good positions but no end product.

Hucks - 6 - Saw a hell of a lot of the ball in the second half with no end product. And was very very lazy in defence.

Dion 7 - Not a bad game. Won a lot of ball in the air.

Earnie - 6 - Lively in attack. But I dont think ive ever seen a division leading goalscorer miskick the ball so many times. Had a good three or four chances in the first half where he should have buried at least a couple.

Subs

Safri - 7 - We improved when he came on, the ball was distributed better. However it must be noted that his arrival occurred just after the sending off so naturally we had more time and space.

A few extras..

1 - Why did we not throw on an extra striker? Its 0-0, against 10 men who are bottom of the league, why not throw on thorne or mcveigh??

2 - We urgently need to sort out our midfield.

3 - The team seemed to be so lazy in attack and defence. If the ball wasnt played straight to a players feet then the receiving player didnt make the effort. THe central midfielders didnt close down. Etc etc.

[/quote]

i''m guessing an 8 means an average performance

Hughes 7!!!! What match did you watch. All i saw was a make shift get tore to pieces by a player who only touched the ball with one foot and did the same thing 10 times. You don''t people on if they try it''s on good they are. If we conceeded from any of those balls he let through then he''d have got a big fat 0.

This should be fun!

Gallagher   5      Never looked confortable, crap distribuition

Colin   5      Awful going forward and caught out alot positionally

Hughes   6      Certainly not the worst, huffed and puffed, struggled in first half but was out of position and left with no cover

Doherty   6      Solid at the back, aweful distribution.

Shackall   6      Ditto

Croft      6      Liveliest player we had but was completely knackered and out of the game by 60 minutes.

Huckerby   5   Didnt get the ball enough and when he did he wasted it.

Etuhu   5   Back to his worst, reminds me of Francis at the end of his norwich days. Sloppy, slow, didnt look bothered

Robinson   5 Struggled, bad distribution, slow on the ball, dozy but no worse than most.

Dublin   5   Constantly fouling, a yard off pace, not in game

Earnshaw   5/6   No real service, not particularly in game.

SUB ; Safri   7      Passed the ball around well, found space but it was against 10 men.

I didn''t goto the game so can''t comment on Hughes, but I would agree with the above poster going by the commentary - both Waller and Adams stated that Hughes was being run ragged by Campbell-Ryce. Hughes is a liablity wherever he plays, and I can''t BELIEVE he is even getting in our line up.

Gallacher 6 looked shacky at every cross

Hughes 6 Given the run around by the impressive Campbell Ryce but gave his all - he is starting to look ok in this squad now but only because the rest of em are looking worse than ever.

Shackell 6 Southend''s attack was toothless

The Doc 6 did most things ok

Colin 6 as with all the defense not a lot to do average game

Hucks 7 our most dangerous player

Etuhu 5.5 Missing man most of the game - did well feigning injury to get there lad his marching orders

Robinson 5.5 Hiding away with Etuhu

Croft 6.5 tried hard but no real end product today

Dublin 6.5 won some headers

Erny 6 nothing special fron earnshaw

Subs

Safri 7 passed the ball well

Grant 4 - Where was Safri, why didnt he start? Why not push another striker on like McVeigh or Thorne for a defender?? Poor from the manager against the bottom club down to 10 men for 30 minutes of the game.

I am not a Hughes fan but, to be fair to the bloke, he was asked to play out of position - it was like asking Dion Dublin to play left-sided midfield! The problem is that we have no cover at left back whatsoever.

I can''t understand why Fleming wasn''t put at centre back and Shackell to left back.

Paul Gallagher - 6 Nothing to doJurgen Colin - 8 Short simple passing, solid at the back and good consistent crosses, too good for this teamAndy Hughes - 6 Kept Campbell-Ryce reasonably quiet, no threat going forward thoughJason Shackell - 7 Not much to do Gary Doherty - 7 again, not much to doDarren Huckerby -5 Was he even playing? Gave Hughes no assistance, no end product when he got the ball, which was rareLee Croft - 6 A lot of effort, but again no end productCarl Robinson - 4 Too many times just goes missing in games, irrelevantDickson Etuhu - 5 Had quite a lot of the ball yet seemed reluctant to shoot or make a good passRobert Earnshw - 4 Not his dayDion Dublin - 7 Won majority of his headers, came closest to scoring with near post headerYoussef Safri - 5 added nothing when coming on

I accept Hughes did ''ok'' playing out of position but it really comes to something when we have to accept that.

By ''ok'' I mean Campbell Ryce skinned him at every opportunity. During the first half they could have scored 5 or 6 times from the crosses he was putting into our 6 yard box while Andy Hughes failed to block him. I know Drury hasn;t been great of late but....

I agree with Link, playing Shacks out on the left would have been a better idea - Doc/Dublin or Doc/Flem in the CH positions.

''''hughes was out of position'''', can someone please remind me what is his position? cause he certaintly looks better at left back then he does as a centre midfield, or even a wingman!, we need to get rid of robinson and hughes, get them off the wage bill, bring in a decent creative midfielder (who would help improve ethutu drastcially), then also a striker to replace earnshaw who lets face it is gone, but how much will the board give to mr grant?

Gally - 6 had nothing to doHughes - 5 got ripped to pieces all game by their right winger, although was left very open through Huckerby''s persistent lazinessDoherty - 6 Again, had very little to doShackell - 6 DittoColin - 6 - Gave Croft a lot of help down the right, but the both of them were crowded out by S''Ends winger, full back, and centre mid covering. Croft 6 - Worked hard but rarely created much. Robinson 3 - Rubbish, utter Rubbish. Non existent in midfield, will be glad to see the back of him, Bye Bye.Etuhu 4 - Shocking also, hardly saw him touch the ball all game, and did very little with it other than go sideways or backwards when he received it. Huckerby 5 - Attacked well, but cost us by being persistently lazy. I lost count of the amount of times huckerby lost the ball and refused to chase it, leaving us short on the left, and hughes open to attack from the tricky winger. Dublin *7* - Well played Dion, made a nuisance of himself and worked his socks off for the team, couldn''t ask anymore from the veteran Earnshaw 6 - Didn''t really do much, but had very little service, worked hard and maybe should have scored in the first half. Safri 7 - did ok when he came on, every time he received the ball his head was up and was looking to pass the ball forwards or to switch the play, what a shame Granty doesn''t seem to like him, a match-fit yousseff is a top championship player.

I wish Grant would think logically. Unfortuneately he feels that a right sided, right footed, simpleton midfielder is a better bet at left back than shackell who has played there before and is left footed.

We were playing an already relegated Southend team......minus Eastwood. They should all get a bloody zero if they can''t beat crap like that at HOME.........

Unbelievable.........

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

I didn''t goto the game so can''t comment on Hughes, but I would agree with the above poster going by the commentary - both Waller and Adams stated that Hughes was being run ragged by Campbell-Ryce. Hughes is a liablity wherever he plays, and I can''t BELIEVE he is even getting in our line up.

[/quote]

Hughes isnt a naturally good player. But he huffed and puffed, unlike the majority of our team, atleast he tried and looked like he WANTED to play.

Gallagher   4   Very shaky for any balls coming into the six yard box. Time to get Lee Camp

Colin  4      Too predictable and panicky in posession

Hughes   7      Though struggled in the first half gave everything and more to the cause. Full back is his best position

Doherty   5      Didn''t do much wrong but is it wrong to expect more from your centre back and captain. This team is crying out for leadership. But I am repeating eveyone''s views over the last 3 years. It''s not rocket science is it.

Shackall   7      Gave his all, yes agree distribution wasn''t great but you can see this lad wears his heart on his sleeve. Should be captain

Croft      6      Tried hard but the two centre midfielders were so poor, he just wasn''t going to be effective

Huckerby   5   Two many crossess hitting the first man. Safri it seems is his want to.

Etuhu   3   Ability he has but he needs a straight talking ball winning midfielder next to him to kick him up the ass

Robinson   3 How many poor games does this player need to have to get dropped. Two good games this season which is simply not good enough. Should have been subbed at half time. Has no tempo to his game.

Dublin   5   We just didn''t use his obvious intelligance he has for the game. Could be so effective

Earnshaw   5  16 goals in this team. The boy should be knighted. What is he supposed to do with such inept service

SUB ; Safri   7    Created tempo instantly with his arrival. Quite simply should be first choice. On a differernt planet to the other midfielders

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

I am not a Hughes fan but, to be fair to the bloke, he was asked to play out of position - it was like asking Dion Dublin to play left-sided midfield! The problem is that we have no cover at left back whatsoever.

I can''t understand why Fleming wasn''t put at centre back and Shackell to left back.

[/quote]And if Grant had played Flemming we would have all the Flemming out brigade flooding this message board with the usual quotes of GRANT DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING PICKING FLEM  /  TIME FOR FLEMMING TO RETIRE  /   HE IS TO OLD   /   A LIABILTY, all the usual rubbish , my god Grant can not win can he.

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]

And if Grant had played Flemming we would have all the Flemming out brigade flooding this message board with the usual quotes of GRANT DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING PICKING FLEM  /  TIME FOR FLEMMING TO RETIRE  /   HE IS TO OLD   /   A LIABILTY, all the usual rubbish , my god Grant can not win can he.
[/quote]

Plus.. whenever Shackell has been played at left back he has been awful. Hughes did ok there, or to put it another way,  Hughes being leftback wasn''t the reason why we didn''t win. Hughes had a tough afternoon but he gave  100% and showed passion all afternoon too.

I try not to get involved in these player rating threads because a lot of people seem to make their minds up before kickoff but that''s often how MOM is decided too! If you were the Match Sponsor and you had paid your money and you wanted to shake hands with Hux after the game, then you''d  give him MOM too!

Cist me a day off work, travel and £240 to watch todays match.

Points rating.

NCFC- 0

Southend - 2

The girl in the services on the A14 who got the coffee machine working without calling the engineer - 10+

What game were you lot at?

Lonnie gave the best assessment of Earnie with a 4 and that was far too many points. He may have scored 16 goals in a poor team, but I thought the ratings are for today, not taking account of what''s gone before. Today he was virtually non-existent. Some will blame lack of service, but on three occasions early on he could have scored. He missed an open goal when gifted the ball by a defender and on two other occasions trapped the ball further than I can kick it. Having missed the opportunity to give us an early lead and settle the side down he drifted completely out of the game. £4m from Portsmouth? I''d bite their hand off.

I award Paul McVeigh, Craig Fleming and the other unused subs, 10/10 top marks...........

Because they weren''t contributable or responsible for the "He''s behind you!" panto on the pitch!

Do the squad train like demons durin'' the week, then ''party hard'' the night before a game?..........Certainly looks like it to me.[<:o)] 

MOM for me yesterday was Mr Carrow. That guy gets everywhere!!! He''s smart aswell, he had to sense to leave early...not once but twice!!!!

The best Norwich Player on display was EFO SODGE, in fact if he hadnt of been sent off we might just  have won the game, southend looked better without him, i could see him giving us a goal, he was that bad, worst than anything in a norwich shirt and when he got sent off i knew our hopes had gone!

Gallacher - 5 - No major saves needed, but the defence doesn''t trust him for a second.

Colin - 6 - Didn''t do a lot wrong, nervous going forward but that stems from the manager dropping him for no reason.

Doherty - 5 - Sub par again, and still cuddling strikers and giving away free-kicks left, right and centre.

Shackell - 7 - Pick of the defence, the only one with any composure and tried to hold it together.

Hughes - 6 - Ok on the ball, worked hard and competed well. Campbell-Ryce more than had the measure of him though and exploited his lack of a left peg fully.

Croft - 7 - Worked his nuts off, but came inside too often to be fully effective, although to be fair this was only to try and support the missing links in midfield.

Etuhu - 3 - Frustrating as the talent is there but the intelligence obviously isn''t. No concept of positional midfield play.

Robinson - 3 - Waste of time. Spends more time making Beckham-esque body shapes when playing a pass than concerning himself with where the pass goes. A wannabe show-pony with no heart or talent.

Huckerby - 5 - Not fit apparantly, and it showed. Don''t remember one pass or cross beating the first defender.

Dublin - 7 - Lead by example again. Wish he was fifteen years younger and surrounded by better players. Did a lot of work back in midfield for the hampered Hucks as well.

Earnshaw - 5 - Had one of those games where he couldn''t hit a cows arse with a banjo. He''s allowed one or two with his record.

Safri - 7 - Changed the tempo and the attitude but by the time he came on, Southend had ten men and all were behind the ball. Had he started we''d have won.

Gallagher - 6 - Nothing much to do, made one decent save.

Hughes - 5 - Got fooled every time, kept his head up and gritted in and turned out a pretty decent second half, got a few good crosses in, and got no help from Huckerby.

Shackell - 6 - The Best defender on the pitch, solid, but still, too many mistakes.

Doc - 6 - Made a couple of good tackles, average, makes too many mistakes.

Colin - 6 - Linked well with Croft and got foward a bit, looked every bit better than Hughes, so why was he not going to start?!

Robinson - 5 - He did what exactly? nothing, the most he ran was when he got taken off, Grant; we NEED a midfield!

Etuhu - 5 - Got into the box then...... well, did nothing, and did this on numerous occasions, if you dont shoot you dont score, seemed like an excited 4 year old infront of goal.

Croft - 6 - Needs to get back into the game, some good runs, helped out defensively, his crosses were better than Huckerbys, but no end product.

Hucks - 4 - Awful game, didnt help in defence and was really lazy, defenders had him in their pocket in the first half. Only started to play in the last 15/20 minutes which when he tried he beat the defenders every time, but once again, no end product, why he decided to shoot when there were four players in the box, three of which were actually unmarked including Dublin who was 2 feet away from him, i will never know. Needs to start playing like he used to, he doesnt have to try anymore knowing he will play every game. Aparently was carrying an injury, if so; why start him? might aswell give someone like Eagle a run and then bring Huckerby on for the last half hour, would be much more effective.

Dion 7 - Played this game like he has played all of the games in his career, with his heart and soul in the game, unfortuantly missed too many good chances, keep it up Dion.

Earnie - 6 - Should have had a hat-trick yesturday, but came away with nothing, didnt meet the form he has been giving all season, despite having no service! Maybe too much drink a couple of nights ago? haha, i think he deserves a day off anyway, the team should be able to win without him ahving to score every game to be honest.

Subs

Safri - 9 MOTM - Easily the best player on the field at the end, best passer and Southend really couldnt cope with it, played some wonderful balls out wide to Huckerby and Croft but again, no end product from the wingers, did not give the ball away apart frmo once, where he immediately won it back, should have burried the once chance he got or at least make the goal keeper work, unfortunaly he did neither and was kicking himself for it! Otherwise i would give him a ten. SIMPLY HAS TO START THE NEXT GAME!

Lastly, why was there no Youth on the bench?

Yesturdays game is the type of game youngsters like Martin and Eagle was thrive in!

Re Hughes. Yes Campbell-Ryce put a lot of crosses in, but they were usually to no one. And given the speed differential I thought Hughes did well to stop him getting past (other than the odd one or two occasion). Other than that I was pretty happy with crosses going into the box as nothing ever came of them.

A shambles is all I can say;   with 6/10 being average I score as following for once the midfield werent the worst.

Gallacher 5 - should take up the charleston cos he is a good flapper

Colin       6 -  still nervous getting forward but who would have confidence having been dropped for the second game running for hughes?

Hughes    5 - Commitment and willing ness to muck in 10,  ability to keep a shape, pass a ball 3.  Given the run around by their winger and like Sodje should have had red for his studs up challenge at the end of the first half having miscontrolled another simple pass.

Doc       6 solid

Shacks   7 - best starting player

Hux       6 - good second half after a first to forget - several good crosses that our strikers couldnt be bothered to attack.

Robbo   5 - shockingly non existent

Etuhu     4- shockingly non existent AND couldnt be ar$ed

Croft     6 - infuriatingly inconsistent and turning into hus by running down dead ends.  Like hux put in some good crosses that deserved  to be attacked but werent.

Earnie  5  His day was summed up when he wanted a day before having shot on an early chance and then failing to read Robbos only decent through ball.  Poor movement, either static or taking ball holders space;  a day for the p[ompey scouts to have watched him please.

Dion  5 - like Hughes should have been sent off instead of being booked for his pantomime but connecting and unprovoked kick of the shrimpers centre half. Like earnie his movement was limited, just like his aerial threat.  Offered too little and when asked for the ball never got a look in;  should have hit the target with his only chance but put his volley over.  Never threatened again  -  2 games a week too much for him at his age?

Safri 7 - unlike the comedy duo chosen ahead of him was crisp in teh challenge - yes conceeding free kicks so disrupting their flow.  More importantly he tries a first touch pass - our comedy pair both need four or five touched before failing another short pass.  Not excellent but that he was a candidate for man of the match shows how poor the rest were.  

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]Oh no not another fleming fan when i and my mates saw fleming warm up we decided this is the final straw.If fleming had  been played  we would have headed straight for the pub.He is a very slow oap at best i can see players like him on the local pitches without having to pay to watch week in week out.It was bad enough watching the dross served up by robinson and etuhu in midfield both lazy bone idle useless hangers on.Having to stomach the decison from grant week in week out to play these two ahead of safri is now beginning to wear very thin.The only reasoning behind this decision is grant must have severe sight problems or a brain that turns of  for 90 mins on a sat afternoon when granty fails to recognise quality players like safri and continually picks these bone idle hangers on it is becoming very worrying for the future of norwich city football club when the manager is as inept as this pair.