Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

We will never get offers from big investors.

Its a nice thought that maybe one day a big name may come to our club with millions to spend, but it is never going to happen certainly whilst im alive.

Big investors are going to look at teams in cities first e.g Muhammed al Fayed at Fulham, Abramovic at Chelsea and some iceland bloke at West Ham and Glazer at United. In London that is where players might not mind going, but its a bigger trouble getting quality players to come to country folk in Norwich.

We have got to try and put this out of our minds. Im sure if managed properly that we can get some success.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

Big investors are going to look at teams in cities first

[/quote]Errrr.....

Life is to slow in Norfolk to attract big names. Cardiff is a big city in Wales, reading isnt far from London, Blackpool is popular and near other cities so what is your point?

We are a city that has sh*t road links and doesnt spring to mind.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Reading, Wigan, Cardiff and Blackpool spring to mind as clubs that have wealthy backers.......[/quote]

Add Bristol City and Donny to that list.

jas :)

Its a nice thought that maybe one day a big name may come to our club with millions to spend, but it is never going to happen certainly whilst im alive.

Big investors are going to look at teams in cities first e.g Muhammed al Fayed at Fulham, Abramovic at Chelsea and some iceland bloke at West Ham and Glazer at United. In London that is where players might not mind going, but its a bigger trouble getting quality players to come to country folk in Norwich.

We have got to try and put this out of our minds. Im sure if managed properly that we can get some success.

[/quote]

It wasn''t in my mind in the first place, but as you''ve put it there, what about Portsmouth? Who''d have thought a wealthy Russian would have come along and transformed that place? And only London players...didn''t Sol Campbell go there?

[quote user="TwoSheds"]Maybe oneday in a decade or two when Norwich is a seaside town things may change[/quote]

Then why don''t we short circuit the process and franchise out the club to Gorleston and build a new stadium there?

OTBC.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]Maybe oneday in a decade or two when Norwich is a seaside town things may change[/quote]

TwoSheds, don''t give the board ideas for goodness sake.  That''ll be the next thing "Global warming . . . and we''ve got the most low-lying ground in the country . . . we can''t compete with Oldham, they''re much higher than we are . . . better sell the ground and move to the top of Gas Hill . . . panoramic views from the restaurant . . . chalk workings under the pitch, well we didn''t know . . . oh, the Nest, collapsed into a hole you say? . . . still, we can''t compete with Barnsley, their pits are much deeper than ours . . . better move again . . . "

Apologies for this pale imitation of a Mello post . . .

In was thinking the other day htta we should perhaps scout for some investment from Russia or somewhere, where some megarich bloke has a spare £10 million. I dont think i''d want an Ambrahmovic level of investment, just someone who can finance a promtotion and then survival push and stabalise the clubs finances. There must be people like that out there who would like a stake in a football club.

Obviously yo''d have to be carefull who you took on board, but i get the feeling that delia and co are too narrow minded and would rather keep the club too themselves rather than it progressing with them as a smaller part of something bigger.

Hyperthetical Question,

You are quite rich! Absolutely genuine. The Board have seen your credentials. They know that you are legitimate and you have the cash. You want to invest 10 million in the club for a start and you insist that 5 million is to go on player budjets. How would the board react. What would be there stance, especially if you said that you wanted a say in the running of the club 

[/quote]

What about Portsmouth. Not fashionable, not any bigger a city than Norwich I''m sure and no pedigree at all and a crappy ground to boot. Now they are an established Premiership side doing very nicely thank you.

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

Hyperthetical Question,

You are quite rich! Absolutely genuine. The Board have seen your credentials. They know that you are legitimate and you have the cash. You want to invest 10 million in the club for a start and you insist that 5 million is to go on player budjets. How would the board react. What would be there stance, especially if you said that you wanted a say in the running of the club 

[/quote]

Didn''t some guy try to do that about 3 years ago - he wanted to invest but wanted a seat on the board?

Great replies to this!

I don''t see why we are such a bad bet though. Great City....good support with lots of potential....and gagging for success........

All they will need is an invitation....and a major say in what goes on.  There lies the rub...........

Just imagine for a moment that your neighbours try to sell your house because they all tthink that someone different in your house would be better for the neighbourhood than you are.  They do the deal and tell you that you must sell to their approved buyer

Go along with that would you?  Sell your pride and joy because other people who don''t own your home but as neighbours have an interest in what goes on in and around your home tell you that they want you to sell because it''s better for them?   Or would you say "Sod off.  This is my house and I''ll decide when and whether to sell what belongs to me,  It is nothing to do with you.  If you don''t like what I do in my home then you can move".

So how exactly are we fans going to invite some football crazed multimillionaire to buy the Club which isn''t ours to sell and persuade Delia and Michael to sell their shares- their property- if they don''t want to?

Why not talk about something more realsitic like signing Rooney for a fiver

[/quote]

Norwich City would represent a very good investment for anyone, if I were pitching to potential investors I would point to the following. 

1) I would say it would be cheaper to buy a Championship club like City, buy players to get promoted and stay there rather than buy West Ham.  Look at Abramovic, he bought Chelsea for £140m and has spent (just under) £300m on players = Total spent £440m and two Premierships won.  If he wanted to win the Premiership easier he could of bought Man Utd but investing in Chelsea has got him the title for a cool £330m less than Glazer paid for United.  Ok Chelsea aren''t quite the money magnet Utd are but they are getting there.  Buying City is cheaper than a Premiership club.

2) City have lots of potential to improve attendances and, in turn, more revenue.  How many other League sides have a whole county to themselves?  The urban population continues to grow.

3) I do not live in Norwich and have not lived or worked in Norwich for 5 years and this is not based on emotion for a place but despite popular belief Norwich is a very large City in some aspects.  It is the 5th largest retail centre in the UK.  More money is spent in Norwich than all but 4 other Cities/Towns in the UK. 

Norwich is also highly sought after for land and property and this is reflected in the fact that 4 of the top 5 property companies in the world have an office there.  Norwich produces good yields on property with office space in the City centre in high demand at high rates per square foot.  Investment in Norwich in general as well as the football club is a feasible area any investor could look to make profits.

Dear oh dear, too much beer on the train home tonight me thinks.

I would have thought that Norwich would be a good club for someone to invest in for the following reasons.

A captive audience. Near full house already and with investment in the team that could expect to be in the premiership every third year then money could be made.

Sizeable assets, with catering and a third percentage in a hotel., plus conference facilities. A well known personality on the board.
Many pluses.

Trouble is anyone with any money can make bigger returns from normal business no doubt, since Football is not really a money making business still compared to other opportunities.

They would have to be either in love with the club, or just want some ego boosting trip.

If it were really that simple though, don''t you think all the Premiership clubs would have been bought out by now?  Man City have been hawking themselves around for over a year and only now are they close to securing any kind of real interest, and Everton have been trying for about 4 or 5 years to get some real investment into the club - with no success.  You all make it sound so easy!

[quote]We will never get offers from big investors.[/quote]

Awesome news!

Integrity and achievement well still mean something to us then...   

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

[/quote]

Norwich City would represent a very good investment for anyone, if I were pitching to potential investors I would point to the following. 

1) I would say it would be cheaper to buy a Championship club like City, buy players to get promoted and stay there rather than buy West Ham.  Look at Abramovic, he bought Chelsea for £140m and has spent (just under) £300m on players = Total spent £440m and two Premierships won.  If he wanted to win the Premiership easier he could of bought Man Utd but investing in Chelsea has got him the title for a cool £330m less than Glazer paid for United.  Ok Chelsea aren''t quite the money magnet Utd are but they are getting there.  Buying City is cheaper than a Premiership club.

2) City have lots of potential to improve attendances and, in turn, more revenue.  How many other League sides have a whole county to themselves?  The urban population continues to grow.

3) I do not live in Norwich and have not lived or worked in Norwich for 5 years and this is not based on emotion for a place but despite popular belief Norwich is a very large City in some aspects.  It is the 5th largest retail centre in the UK.  More money is spent in Norwich than all but 4 other Cities/Towns in the UK. 

Norwich is also highly sought after for land and property and this is reflected in the fact that 4 of the top 5 property companies in the world have an office there.  Norwich produces good yields on property with office space in the City centre in high demand at high rates per square foot.  Investment in Norwich in general as well as the football club is a feasible area any investor could look to make profits.

Dear oh dear, too much beer on the train home tonight me thinks.

[/quote]

Keep necking the beers Saint, thats an excellent post. Unfortunately the smallest thing about Norwich as an area and a club is the mentalitiy of a large proportion of its citizens. I remember when Chase used to repeat like a mantra that "Norwich City only have a catchment area of 120,000 people" (thats basically the population within the inner ring road!) and it seemed the vast majority swallowed it without question.

City are a very big club waiting to happen- and it just might be that a canny investor may come along and realise the potential. However the clubs image is so poor that you get the impression that most investors wouldn`t even take a second glance in our direction before heading to clubs with a more assertive attitude.

A very big club in the making, lol. Are you joking????? We are an average sized club with a rubbish board.

Maybe we are the next Chelsea or Man Utd, i may be wrong but i doubt it.

A very big club in the making, lol. Are you joking????? We are an average sized club with a rubbish board.

Maybe we are the next Chelsea or Man Utd, i may be wrong but i doubt it.

[/quote]

The club stated that in the promotion and prem seasons the demand was there for regular 35,000 crowds. That would put us in the top 8 or so in the country in terms of attendances-i think you can class that as very big. Why not try countering the points in Saint Canary and Mr Carrows posts and explain why City CANNOT be a big club rather than resorting to a bland statement backed up by precisely nothing?

[quote user="bennybhoy"]Had one from Richard Branson but Delia did''nt want to sell HER club[/quote]

Richard Branson never made a bid for Norwich city.

i Remember reading in the Evening news when he opened Virgin Money and was asked about a bid that he has no interest at all in Football

jas :)

Troo Naarfalk Bor, Bernard ''Bootiful'' Matthew''s - has clearly got more sense, by not investing in a ''just trundlin'' along'' with a coupla'' mediocre restaurants, an East Berlinesque Hotel thingy coupled with a gaggle of occasional kick it for a bit charlatans (supported by the bestest fussball fans in the planetarium "Hic!") situated here, at ''buttress'' Carra Rud.

We may as well, have a facade of film set scenery as a stadium.......It''s like owning and having a big flash car parked outside on your drive, but not being able to put food on the table, or buy clothes and shoes for the bairns - or pay your gas & lecky bills..........But you''ve gorra nice motor!

Synthetic...........and PATHETIC! Extracting the urine from the paying customer.

Football comes first!..........C''mon Delia plc and Co''horts! Sort it out - or ship yourselves out! 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Troo Naarfalk Bor, Bernard ''Bootiful'' Matthew''s - has clearly got more sense, by not investing in a ''just trundlin'' along'' with a coupla'' mediocre restaurants, an East Berlinesque Hotel thingy coupled with a gaggle of occasional kick it for a bit charlatans (supported by the bestest fussball fans in the planetarium "Hic!") situated here, at ''buttress'' Carra Rud.

We may as well, have a facade of film set scenery as a stadium.......It''s like owning and having a big flash car parked outside on your drive, but not being able to put food on the table, or buy clothes and shoes for the bairns - or pay your gas & lecky bills..........But you''ve gorra nice motor!

Synthetic...........and PATHETIC! Extracting the urine from the paying customer.

Football comes first!..........C''mon Delia plc and Co''horts! Sort it out - or ship yourselves out! 

[/quote] EXACTLY - SORT IT OUT - OR SHIP OUT. ONE OR THE OTHER.

As a club, and as a business enterprise I believe that we have earned

the image we''ve got.  Just in fact, the way our players earn the

right to play.  It has been known all through the continent as the

English disease of complacency.  Another term springs to mind

"rather than clean up the mess that exists we just sweep it under the

mat" as I sit here in the Consort at Addenbrooke''s  hospital I

notice our Eatern friends and students busily swatting up for the

nursing and medical diplomas during their lunch breaks, and  from

another direction come another group of voiciferous Scotish and English

students who have from their demeanor and unsteady loutish behaviour

just spent their break time consuming as much alchohol as they can

carry to then create havoc through their poor behaviour.  Where