Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

The Sun names Pascal Jansen as our top target

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I see where you're coming from but he's not a journeyman manager - he's been head coach once, got his team to a European semi final and has an excellent track record of bringing through young players. He also has a record of keeping his team competitive despite constant sales of their best players. Just because he's 51 doesn't mean he's not up and coming.

He was heavily linked with both Celtic and Rangers not long ago and the general sense was his sacking at Alkmaar was a bit harsh.

I saw there had been a link to Rangers - tbh they might have been better off getting him!  He’s not on my list of people I know about but seems to have done pretty well at AZ.

17 minutes ago, AJ said:

An interesting name to throw in the hat and seems quite specific for it to be too far from the truth unlike the Arsenal assistant because of the lazy journalism links to Knapper. I'm sure given that it seems to have been very much a premeditated decision to off Wagner that whoever it is must be in the latter stages of the process so we can start kicking on with summer transfer plans

It would suggest as much. Names would have been suggested, and approached a while back.

The club will be aware of the need for silence, if only to avoid someone being considered 3rd or 4th choice.

Any contract now is more a War and Peace tome than a couple of pages, so expect it to be prolonged,and talks would not have begun until the official announcement of Wagner's departure.

The question is, will this chap have enough knowedge of English football to play any part in our signings? Knappers record doesn't stand too well at the moment, more so given the loan signing was also Dutch. Poor old Sidney.

Hopefully, whoever it is, there won't be too much change at Colney. As well as bringing on youngsters they do seem to be good at improving the first team. We just need to sort out why we keep getting so many injuries.

6 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Knappers record doesn't stand too well at the moment, more so given the loan signing was also Dutch. Poor old Sidney.

What you judging that on?
Van Honkeydonk who got the sum total of 20 minutes game time?
Blame Wagner rather than Knapper I feel?

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

“We scoured the world” wasn’t it? I’m feeling a profound sense of Deja vu 

We scoured the world before appointing Neil Adams and Bryan Gunn if I recall correctly. The best manager in the World was already in the building right under our noses, who'd have thunk it?

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

In fairness, wasn't it Charlie Wyatt who broke the news that Wagner was to be sacked?

Got a feeling it was Nick ma****er 

9 hours ago, AJ said:

An interesting name to throw in the hat and seems quite specific for it to be too far from the truth unlike the Arsenal assistant because of the lazy journalism links to Knapper. I'm sure given that it seems to have been very much a premeditated decision to off Wagner that whoever it is must be in the latter stages of the process so we can start kicking on with summer transfer plans

There were EDP reports not long after Knapper was appointed that there had been at least some contact with Cuesta. But the EDP is now  downplaying the likelihood, at least for the moment. This Jansen link does look credible. It seems a rather "us" choice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that we didn't have someone ready to step in as soon as the season was over. It's been clear for some time that Wagner would probably be leaving. We really can't afford a lot of messing around and I would like to see the role filled in days rather than weeks. 

I assumed that it was sorted out given the speed of the decision to remove Wagner and thought that meant that the Arsenal guy would be coming. Obviously not. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

44 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm surprised that we didn't have someone ready to step in as soon as the season was over. It's been clear for some time that Wagner would probably be leaving. We really can't afford a lot of messing around and I would like to see the role filled in days rather than weeks. 

I assumed that it was sorted out given the speed of the decision to remove Wagner and thought that meant that the Arsenal guy would be coming. Obviously not. 

But that we have a sporting director means some footballing decisions can be taken now. For example, the leaving list. Both left-backs being kicked out means Knapper has decided  to create a hole that needs filling. He may even know who he wants to bring in, irrespective of who the head coach is.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s the big question, that will win him the job.

Is he a lovely young man? Is he a lovely, well spoken young man who if he does get a little bit upset will appreciate a little huggy hug time with Delia?

This is the most important characteristic in A Norwich manager.

I can’t believe you think that’s a more important question than “does he drink tea from a mug?”

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But that we have a sporting director means some footballing decisions can be taken now. For example, the leaving list. Both left-backs being kicked out means Knapper has decided  to create a hole that needs filling. He may even know who he wants to bring in, irrespective of who the head coach is.

Good point and very true. It does however raise the question as to who should have a say in the players that are brought into the club. I'm one of those who thinks that is a decision that should ideally be made jointly between the Sporting Director and Head Coach. But perhaps I'm just getting old😂

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t believe you think that’s a more important question than “does he drink tea from a mug?”

We should definitely be looking for a coffee drinker 

• Like 1

@I'm wondering what happens with Pelach, Hughes and Clements?

A new coach usually likes to bring in his own team. We've just paid two off, there may be another three contracts to settle up shortly. That will take time as well and they'll all want/need to be gone before a new appointment is made.

Palach is highly regarded anyway and has made no secret of the fact he'd like a lead coach job somewhere soon. If, as seems likely, he hasn't been asked or encouraged, so to speak, to apply to succeed Wagner, he'll want out anyway: but he won't walk and why should he?

Clements is also very highly regarded in the game, I'd like to think his role is ring fenced but, even so...

Then there's the vacancy at the Academy and Gregg Broughton has just left Blackburn. Easy to make a connection there as well.

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed. Drawing lines of demarcation while the corridors are empty.

Corporate land grabs again…

Parma 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Good point and very true. It does however raise the question as to who should have a say in the players that are brought into the club. I'm one of those who thinks that is a decision that should ideally be made jointly between the Sporting Director and Head Coach. But perhaps I'm just getting old😂

Well, yes, you probably are getting very old!🤩 I don't disagree in terms of specific players. But the point of an SD is that they decide the kind of football they want and pick the head coach accordingly. So in general terms the SD will know, for example, the kind of leftback they want.

6 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

@I'm wondering what happens with Pelach, Hughes and Clements?

A new coach usually likes to bring in his own team. We've just paid two off, there may be another three contracts to settle up shortly. That will take time as well and they'll all want/need to be gone before a new appointment is made.

Palach is highly regarded anyway and has made no secret of the fact he'd like a lead coach job somewhere soon. If, as seems likely, he hasn't been asked or encouraged, so to speak, to apply to succeed Wagner, he'll want out anyway: but he won't walk and why should he?

Clements is also very highly regarded in the game, I'd like to think his role is ring fenced but, even so...

Then there's the vacancy at the Academy and Gregg Broughton has just left Blackburn. Easy to make a connection there as well.

If we're seriously considering Cuesta it would make sense to sound out Pelach as well? Or the two of them could make an awesome partnership?

I'm guessing Knapper will already be thinking about the coaching team. Hughes I think is more an employee of the club who Wagner moved into his coaching team having previously been in charge of loans.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, yes, you probably are getting very old!🤩 

Cheeky sod😂

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We aren’t the only club looking for a manager, even if we did have someone lined up it’s never confirmed until the contracts signed.

Edited by Monty13

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

We aren’t the only club looking for a manager, even if we did have someone lined up it’s never confirmed until the contracts signed.

I listened to an interview with a Brighton director recently. He wasn't too concerned about losing their manager because they had a list of 3 for the position and for that matter every other member of the playing and coaching staff. I'd be a bit concerned if we haven't done the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

I listened to an interview with a Brighton director recently. He wasn't too concerned about losing their manager because they had a list of 3 for the position and for that matter every other member of the playing and coaching staff. I'd be a bit concerned if we haven't done the same. 

Oh I’m sure we do, but nailing down which of them will depend on if they have other offers on the table. I imagine any head coach we are interested in will probably have options.

I read the articles that were posted by King Canary and they are an interesting and a good read, Jansen does seem like a good choice.

Whether he will be remains to be seen to be honest I don't know enough about a lot of the coaches we are linked with and just hope Knapper makes the right choice.

Pascal Jansen would be a very good appointment if possible. I would have thought he'd be able to attract interest in the Bundesliga or Eredivise, although it does seem that although he was linked to both the Ajax and Feynoord jobs he isn't going to either of those teams. Lech Poznan have been openly courting him for a little while and he has been heavily linked to Olympiacos as well.

Norwich fans should probably remember the pre-season friendly against AZ where they looked pretty good, despite it being their first friendly. 

Overall, feels a little out of Norwich's reach but Jansen is proven to be effective at developing youth players. Not sure his style is based on 'control', but AZ's success under him was built on a strong defence, and their attack was probably the weakness overall. Lot of their attacking threat comes from the full backs, their right back has 22 goals and assists in the league over the last two season. If he comes to Norwich expect lots of crosses and overloads on the wing, with a slightly more workman like midfield. 

• Like 1

A big plus in his favour is that he’s out of work so no compensation payment required. Delia will love that.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Pascal Jansen would be a very good appointment if possible. I would have thought he'd be able to attract interest in the Bundesliga or Eredivise, although it does seem that although he was linked to both the Ajax and Feynoord jobs he isn't going to either of those teams. Lech Poznan have been openly courting him for a little while and he has been heavily linked to Olympiacos as well.

Norwich fans should probably remember the pre-season friendly against AZ where they looked pretty good, despite it being their first friendly. 

Overall, feels a little out of Norwich's reach but Jansen is proven to be effective at developing youth players. Not sure his style is based on 'control', but AZ's success under him was built on a strong defence, and their attack was probably the weakness overall. Lot of their attacking threat comes from the full backs, their right back has 22 goals and assists in the league over the last two season. If he comes to Norwich expect lots of crosses and overloads on the wing, with a slightly more workman like midfield. 

Feel unlikely Bethnal .Get the sense that nobody has a clue who we are targeting. Any reason why most are reporting Cuesta no longer a target ??

10 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Feel unlikely Bethnal .Get the sense that nobody has a clue who we are targeting. Any reason why most are reporting Cuesta no longer a target ??

All that is really known is Norwich spoke to a bunch of coach's representatives at the end of 2023/beginning of 2024 about the role. I don't believe they spoke to any coaches directly though. Will Still and Carlos Cuesta are the two names I know of from that time. Most likely there were plenty more as well as Knapper tried to get the lay of the land and the pulling power of Norwich.

With Cuesta, it is probably felt too early for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants more time at Arsenal to develop a little more before taking on a tricky job like Norwich. At 28/9 there is no need for him to jump into something right away and working with Arteta at Arsenal is great experience.

Norwich are good at keeping things quiet so not a massive surprise things are unclear. It is also probably a sign they aren't too close with any deal right now. When Norwich announced Wagner was leaving, I suspect Mr Knapper suddenly got a lot of messaged from agents, he might want to explore some of those options in addition to anyone shortlisted while Wagner was in post. Things might take a little longer due to the ownership situation, need to find someone both DS/MWJ like and Norfolk Holdings can agree on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something I found in an Athletic article that explains why Knapper may like him as an option.

Over almost three years, he has cemented the academy-to-first-team pathway: this is AZ’s sixth consecutive season with a squad average age of under 25, Jansen has given 30 players their senior debuts while aged 22 or younger, in the Eredivisie or Conference League, including seven of that Youth League-winning squad.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, In my blood said:

Did your dad play a policeman in Allo Allo?

Under appreciated post. 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1