Matt Juler

Everyone knows better than us

That's how it felt yesterday, all those of persuasions other than NCFC couldn't understand why we sacked Wagner, saying we should be happy with getting in the playoffs, etc., etc..

As a long suffering Norwich fan of 30+ years, I just find it incredibly refreshing that we acted quickly for the first time that I can remember.  In the past I feel that the 6th place finish could have blinkered those in charge and we'd be in the usual situation of getting to November mid-table. 

Instead, I'm already looking forward to the fixtures and a fresh start. OTBC.

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Matt Juler said:

That's how it felt yesterday, all those of persuasions other than NCFC couldn't understand why we sacked Wagner, saying we should be happy with getting in the playoffs, etc., etc..

As a long suffering Norwich fan of 30+ years, I just find it incredibly refreshing that we acted quickly for the first time that I can remember.  In the past I feel that the 6th place finish could have blinkered those in charge and we'd be in the usual situation of getting to November mid-table. 

A tad over the top….long suffering! Really over the top considering what some fans of really poor clubs have had to endure! But I get your point it’s far better being prepared going into the summer than uncertain. Hopefully Knapper has his man already sorted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The top 26 ambition bull**** has been firmly put to bed.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

It's funny really. Saw a lot of people being all "wow you finished 6th and you sack your manager that's pathetic!" only for it to quickly become clear they had no idea we were near the bottom of the table near christmas.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's funny really. Saw a lot of people being all "wow you finished 6th and you sack your manager that's pathetic!" only for it to quickly become clear they had no idea we were near the bottom of the table near christmas.

A bizarre post, surely a rise from near the bottom at Christmas to 6th is evidence of achievement, not a reason to sack somebody.

• Like 6

Would have been entertaining to see reaction had we sacked him after winning play offs which would also have happened by all accounts.

33 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

How so, we finished 26th!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes - The question has to be how confident are you that we improve on it next year! 

I've had the same reaction down here. I think others see us as a smaller club than we do. You have to know Norwich and Norfolk to understand our ambition. Those of us spread far and wide get it.

Well done Knapper for matching our ambition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yeah, and sacked the manager.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I’m not clear, are you saying this is more ambitious than top 26, or less?

I agree with the OP’s general point - there’s a number that don’t follow things NCFC who won’t see the wider picture.  We did do pretty well to get to the play offs all things considered, but there are broader things at play.  Wagner is a decent bloke but not the one to take us forward.

I’m glad we acted quickly and decisively, hopefully everyone can get behind whoever the new guy is and that he is named quickly.

The question for me to many of these (and let's be frank) long term sack Wagner fans is how many seasons will you give any new manager to 'improve' our position - which has to be nothing short of promotion. I already think next season will now be rebuild / change of direction and likely mid-table finish. I hope I'm wrong.

It may well be the case of out of the frying pan into the fire - or better the devil you know.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not sure tbh - given we finished 26th (within the target), surely doing that and then binning the manager suggests we are looking to do better.

• Like 1

A top 17 strategy was stated a short while ago, it was never achieved. That's why Zoe has had to bin her other half.

1 hour ago, Matt Juler said:

Good post, agree entirely. Reminded me a bit of the sacking of Hughton, which outsiders thought was harsh. Gary Lineker was particularly scathing. But in fact that only thing wrong with that decision was that it came too late.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I already think next season will now be rebuild / change of direction and likely mid-table finish. I hope I'm wrong.

Seems to me we clearly need a re-build and change of direction. If that means a mid-table finish next season, I'm fine with that, as long as there's a sense that the new team (Knapper/new head coach) are building something. I accept that others won't be, though. Think it's important that someone at the club gives the fans a sense of what the new project is.

• Like 2

From the outside I thought it was harsh when Newcastle sacked Chris Hughton. A few years later when despite us staying up comfortably his style of play had sucked most of the enjoyment out of football I understood and wanted him gone. 

You can't always tell from the outside what's going on at a club so often outsiders get it wrong. 

2 hours ago, Matt Juler said:

Its the same as when the world couldnt believe we fired Nice Guy Chris.

At the end of the day you have to be in situation to understand a situation - as we are. I always just ignore the noise.
Ironically the people at the moment who get it are the Ip5w1ch fans, couple of mates at work were like "HAHA 4 nil and you fired you boss.... best move I get it"

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Seems to me we clearly need a re-build and change of direction. If that means a mid-table finish next season, I'm fine with that, as long as there's a sense that the new team (Knapper/new head coach) are building something. I accept that others won't be, though. Think it's important that someone at the club gives the fans a sense of what the new project is.

Yeh absoloutely , i think as long as we can see whats going on Norwich fans are very forgiving.
Like even Chris, we could see the plan - we didnt like it but we got it. We know the aim and what he was trying to do.

Smith and Wagner was just a pants filling and a panic - although I get that Wagner was always just in to steady the ship. 
Thats exactly what he did so credit to him - but ship steadied thank you very much . 

3 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

From the outside I thought it was harsh when Newcastle sacked Chris Hughton. A few years later when despite us staying up comfortably his style of play had sucked most of the enjoyment out of football I understood and wanted him gone. 

You can't always tell from the outside what's going on at a club so often outsiders get it wrong. 

Similar to David Moyes at West Ham and Gary O'Neil at Bournemouth last year. Fans want more than survival (except, it seems, Crystal Palace).

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

The question for me to many of these (and let's be frank) long term sack Wagner fans is how many seasons will you give any new manager to 'improve' our position - which has to be nothing short of promotion. I already think next season will now be rebuild / change of direction and likely mid-table finish. I hope I'm wrong.

It may well be the case of out of the frying pan into the fire - or better the devil you know.

Farke got a season of rebuilding, I think whoever comes in deserves that at least. Granted, we are not starting from as low a point (although we need to see who get sold).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Think it’s pretty clear the ambition is promotion, quite rightly, you can finish 26th if you also win the playoffs.

And we were so embarrassingly far off the latter we may as well have finished bottom half again.

Just now, Monty13 said:

Think it’s pretty clear the ambition is promotion, quite rightly, you can finish 26th if you also win the playoffs.

And we were so embarrassingly far off the latter we may as well have finished bottom half again.

At the risk of repeating myself, I really don’t think the second leg was embarrassing. We were running on empty with a couple of players either playing with injuries or back too early, with a very shallow bench (I.e. only Sainz who should have started anyway) and Leeds had a handful of decent PL players, strength in depth (they could cope with Bamford’s absence) and Elland Road at its noisiest behind them. We would have had to do something miraculous to win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

At the risk of repeating myself, I really don’t think the second leg was embarrassing. We were running on empty with a couple of players either playing with injuries or back too early, with a very shallow bench (I.e. only Sainz who should have started anyway) and Leeds had a handful of decent PL players, strength in depth (they could cope with Bamford’s absence) and Elland Road at its noisiest behind them. We would have had to do something miraculous to win.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

One of the most embarrassing big game performances I can remember from us since Fulham and it’s not like we don’t have history. 

That was arguably our strongest side and we completely no showed.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I think that the top 26 ideal was based upon expecting regular yo-yoing (and parachutes, etc.) Smith wasted that chance. Wagner didn't help.