cambridgeshire canary

Chris Willock; Knappers first signing?

Posted (edited)

Nope, that'd be SVH. 

I'd be happy with this signing though, one that was on my fantasy list back in the summer. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

3 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I know nothing about him.

Mostly plays as a winger, sometimes slots in at midfield. Arsène Wenger once described him as a "very interesting player" (Whatever that means..)

Did seem to have somewhat of a promising future at one point that never really seemed to work out, early in his career played a lot for the Benfica B team with the hopes of getting into the main team which never happened and then he came back to England

Managed 20 goals in 133 games for a somewhat poor mostly midtable QPR.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

According to the Pink'Un. Can you guess what academy he came from? That's right, the one Knapper was at.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/24299902.norwich-city-transfer-news-chris-willock-summer-target/

That's a good sign in my book, even though he's no longer young and the only box he really ticks is that Knapper connection. He was at Benfica for a spell, and even though he got no further than the B team, that must count for something.

What do the Hoops fans think of him?

One of those week in, week out 7/10 Championship midfielders. Grafts, leads, uses the ball well.

Very good player at that level. If we'd already gone up as top 2, I wonder if we'd still be linked with him.

Wow! I've actually done some digging. Perhaps because it seems so long since we've been treated to such transfer speculation about players actually joining the club permanently (was Barnes the last, or was it Duffy? Fisher?)

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/308981/chris-willock/#25

Seems mixed, although it is clear that the player wants out of Loftus Road because he feels his pay packet doesn't bulge enough.

I put my trust in Ben Knapper over this boy.

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I put my trust in Ben Knapper over this boy.

I'm sure he's delighted with that ringing endorsement! 

This seems unlikely.  Quality wise he seems fine, if we do not go up.  Even if we stay in the championship he is 26, after a big wage and likely to impede the development of Kamara, so unless more players are leaving than we know about it seems unlikely.  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

This seems unlikely.  Quality wise he seems fine, if we do not go up.  Even if we stay in the championship he is 26, after a big wage and likely to impede the development of Kamara, so unless more players are leaving than we know about it seems unlikely.  

If anything I would fear that us singing Willock (With him being a winger on a high wage who would no doubt want to be in the regular starting 11) would maybe be a sign that we plan to sell Borja and Rowe or that maybe Kamara wants to stay at Pompey.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

He’s a good championship player, if we aren’t promoted I expect unfortunately it’s going to be a busy season of players leaving.

Believe we were linked to him earlier in Wagner days. I read at that time that his stats for progressing the ball in possession are very good, which suits the inside forward Sainz/ Rowe role that we have.

Will be a summer of change, that's for sure.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Assuming Rowe and Sara are both sold and we sign willock our wide areas would currently look like this: 

Borja 

Willock

Fass

Onel

Kamara

Springett

Springett I would imagine is going to be offloaded one way or another, so if anything we could do with abit more quality depth in these positions, I'd be looking for one more at least. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Assuming Rowe and Sara are both sold and we sign willock our wide areas would currently look like this: 

Borja 

Willock

Fass

Kamara

Springett

Springett I would imagine is going to be offloaded one way or another, so if anything we could do with abit more quality depth in these positions, I'd be looking for one more at least. 

And Fassnacht

Knapper signs players?

Seems to have lost his way a bit, so may as well come here and lose it some more.

Not sure he's any better than what we have. Could mean Onel will be farmed out as it stifles the development of Kamara (assuming he stays).

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If anything I would fear that us singing Willock (With him being a winger on a high wage who would no doubt want to be in the regular starting 11) would maybe be a sign that we plan to sell Borja and Rowe or that maybe Kamara wants to stay at Pompey.

eh ?

He is out of contract. Why would he hang around, waitinhg to sign for us depending on some other club making an offer for two of our players ? And as Willock is out of contract he is on NO wage come June 30th. Big or small.

I expect we can cover his wages with the players leaving, so it is a case of whether we can improve him, as what Colney seems good at, bar poor honky tonk.

As to the idea that it would be Kamara choice as to whether he stays at Pompey that is absurd.. Sara, Gunn, Saintz and possibly Rowe will decide where they move to, and when. A youth player does not

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unless his agent was lying, Rowe has made it clear that he is going to the EPL. 

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Unless his agent was lying, Rowe has made it clear that he is going to the EPL. 

By banging in the winner at 

WEM BER LEY!! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Odd one, Kamara's clearly earned a look in pre-season at the very least. I'd see Willock more as an Hernandez replacement - an explosive impact sub sort but not getting in the way of developing youngsters. And before anyone mentions Mumba, Wagner's said before that Kellen Fisher came on so strongly in pre-season that he felt Mumba could go.

So I'm not entirely sure what a 26 y/o winger is if not a replacement for Hernandez.

EDIT: I'd like to see us look for a couple more in the Fisher mould, tbh. Really promising youngsters from non-league who look like they're worth a gamble.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Can we develop Willock postulates another poster?  With Wagner doing the developing it seems highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yep, that's why I wrote fass 👍😉

And that's why I'd make an excellent Championship referee!

• Haha 1

Reading the QPR forums, it sounds like the reason he’ll be a free agent is because he doesn’t want to be at the club, rather than the club don’t want him. I would only sign him if we fail to win the playoffs, as I he doesn’t sound PL quality

55 minutes ago, pete said:

Can we develop Willock postulates another poster?  With Wagner doing the developing it seems highly unlikely.

Yes, what a mess Wagner has made of Sainz, Stacey, Rowe,  MaCallum.

And it is the coaching staff at Colney who are resposible rather than Wagner

Still, desperation means grabbing at any stick I suppose

When QPR beat Leeds I thought Willock & Chair were standout & would make good signings for us. I was then informed of Chair's parlous legal position which rather kiboshed that idea. Doesn't change my opinion of Willock though obviously.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

When QPR beat Leeds I thought Willock & Chair were standout & would make good signings for us. I was then informed of Chair's parlous legal position which rather kiboshed that idea. Doesn't change my opinion of Willock though obviously.

For those unaware

https://theathletic.com/5323162/2024/03/09/ilias-chair-assault-case/

In a nutshell - convicted of assualt in Belgium, 12 month sentence

"In Belgian law, those convicted of a crime have the right to appeal ...... the alleged perpetrator is free to continue their ordinary lives until the legal process is exhausted."

Hence him currently not in la nic

11 hours ago, Newtopia said:

26 is a great age though?

Typically the point at which a player is entering into their peak years, and the age that Kenny McLean was when we signed him.

Hoolahan was 25 when we signed him, Holt was 27, Pukki was 28.

So what's wrong with his age?

He also plays mostly on the left, whereas Abu Kamara primarily plays on the right. 

Having let Placheta go (left sided), with Onel being frankly not good enough (left sided), Springett not being good enough (left sided) and Tzolis likely to be flogged, then I'd consider there to very much be a vacancy here?

4 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

26 is a great age though?

Typically the point at which a player is entering into their peak years, and the age that Kenny McLean was when we signed him.

Hoolahan was 25 when we signed him, Holt was 27, Pukki was 28.

So what's wrong with his age?

He also plays mostly on the left, whereas Abu Kamara primarily plays on the right. 

Having let Placheta go (left sided), with Onel being frankly not good enough (left sided), Springett not being good enough (left sided) and Tzolis likely to be flogged, then I'd consider there to very much be a vacancy here?

Depends why you take him.  If the model is to take on a player, add value by training and then him sell, then 26 is late for that sort of signing.  I realise a squad needs a mix, we are currently loaded with quite experienced players, depends whether you believe Onel is going to leave, he still has a year on his contract.  It makes more sense to take him if Fassnacht was to leave.

The first signing we should do is get a decent manager in before we start getting new players in as if we keep David Wagner we will struggle next season.