cambridgeshire canary

Should McLean have won player of the season?

Posted (edited)

Didn't exactly light the place on fire yesterday.. Get the feeling this is going to be a controversial one 😂

Would like to say that if you look at the season as a whole, then yes he probably does. I myself at the time said he deserved it. The sheer commitment, his new role as captain that he's taken too and doing well as.. But it does feel like an odd one.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didn't exactly light the place on fire yesterday.. Get the feeling this is going to be a controversial one 😂

Trust you🙃🙊😊🤣

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Trust you🙃🙊😊🤣

Hey, I've never been afraid to say unpopular takes. Half the people on here don't like me anyway so I might as well go all out got nothing to lose in doing so 😂

Posted (edited)

Depends what metric people use to vote

It was interesting that Sargent was in 3rd place, so there are people who dont mind the fact that he missed half of the season and has been brilliant in the other half.

On that basis , if we're prepared to vote on performance levels alone , regardless of games played ,there is not a cat in hells chance Mclean would be above Sara and his contributions this season...only one of them made the League team of the season, afterall

Similarly, there are players who at their worst ,werent as bad as McLean at his worst...but at their best ,have been better than McLean at his best, and I would list Sargent Gunn Rowe Sainz and Stacey here

Personally , when I look at the list of recepients of this award historically...I'd want someone who is a little better than a run of the mill 6.5/10 performer each week

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

Yes, as presumably more people voted for him than for any other player (unless there was electoral fraud). 

Anyway, at least it peed off the people who are a couple of rows behind us, as they're real haters.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hey, I've never been afraid to say unpopular takes. Half the people on here don't like me anyway so I might as well go all out got nothing to lose in doing so 😂

🤣 maybe they are not people (AI)  Cambridge,  now there's a thought . Not bad at 0607 in the morning,  brazil time.

Get back to you later, porridge  time ,time to wake up. 🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷.

• Haha 1

Just now, Scrivvy said:

Yes, as presumably more people voted for him than for any other player (unless there was electoral fraud). 

Anyway, at least it peed off the people who are a couple of rows behind us, as they're real haters.

Trump disagrees with your take

Trump disagrees with your take

Has he commented on the NCFC Player of the Season vote?

• Haha 1

Just now, Scrivvy said:

If so, could swing this year's election in Joe's favour 

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would like to say that if you look at the season as a whole, then yes he probably does. I myself at the time said he deserved it. The sheer commitment, his new role as captain that he's taken too and doing well as.. But it does feel like an odd one.

Does this need yet another thread? It’s player of the season not player for one game yesterday. The answer is yes he did. Move on!

• Like 2

Probably yes. It's been that sort of season where a stalwart rather than individual brilliance comes to the fore.

I would have picked the ever-present Sara, by a mile, personally.

Posted (edited)

He has played out of position, captained the team and in some of the worst matches I can remember stood out as the only player to have performed.

Sure he's a bit whiney but he hasn't tea.potted and pointed as much as previous seasons.

For me next year there are a couple of players crucial not to sell.

Gunn, McClean,Sara, Sainz and Sarg

So did Kenny deserve it?

Damn right he did.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 2

Good thread. Personally, I think he deserved it.  After looking at the vote breakdown on the club website, it’s clear that many voted for Kenny for the same reason I did – his dedication to the club. He’s been with us for a while now and has always given us 100%, never looking to move on to pastures new, even if no-one else would actually have him. He’s great at running and pointing and although he stunk the place out when we were in the Premier League, he’s always done OK in the Championship. Not as good as any of the other midfield players we’re had over the years, but he’s still here and they’ve not, and that means a lot to me (and others). Finally, remember the words of Wagner on making the right choice in picking Kenny,

“This only shows how smart our supporters are, and he fully deserves this award."

That for me confirmed that he was the right choice. It also confirmed that I am super smart and gave me an erection.

OTBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Probably yes. It's been that sort of season where a stalwart rather than individual brilliance comes to the fore.

I would have picked the ever-present Sara, by a mile, personally.

Is that right?

For large parts of this season ,the accusation was that Wagner didnt have a plan and was very much relying upon moments of individual brilliance?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scrivvy said:

He said it was a deep-state fix and that he should have won. Liz truss, his local ear on the ground, told him.

Answers from many already in the match thread.

I also think the answer is in your question. People voted prior to yesterday. Yesterday doesn't define his season.

Bonkers.

• Like 1

Of course he deserved to win it but only a really boring Internet Troll would start a thread on it Sunday morning after it's already been discussed at length on other threads at the time, which the OP himself commented on.

Pathetic, really.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Depends what metric people use to vote

It was interesting that Sargent was in 3rd place, so there are people who dont mind the fact that he missed half of the season and has been brilliant in the other half.

On that basis , if we're prepared to vote on performance levels alone , regardless of games played ,there is not a cat in hells chance Mclean would be above Sara and his contributions this season

Similarly, their are players who at their worst ,werent as bad as McLean at his worst...but at their best ,have been better than McLean at his best, and I would list Sargent Gunn Rowe Sainz and Stacey here

Personally , when I look at the list of recepients of this award historically...I'd want someone who is a little better than a run of the mill 6/10 performer each week

Rowe has been in plenty of games where he's been inconspicuous.

Gunn, Sara, Sargent were the clear other players of note. Stacey, Sainz, Rowe and I would say Barnes, the outsiders.

Sargent, despite his injury, has been just quality. So consistant and reliable, even when not fullt fit.

McLean has played in every league game this season. He works his socks off every game without fail. He's played well at CB when asked to play there. He enables Sara to do what Sara does, later in the season, helped by Nunez too.

He's a fitting pots.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course he deserved to win it but only a really boring Internet Troll would start a thread on it Sunday morning after it's already been discussed at length on other threads at the time, which the OP himself commented on.

Pathetic, really.

I mean, boring yes. But a troll? Me? I don't live under a bridge!

This is one of the more ridiculous posts. It is ‘Player of the Season’ - the clue is in italics; he’s entitled to an off day. 

39 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It was interesting that Sargent was in 3rd place, so there are people who dont mind the fact that he missed half of the season and has been brilliant in the other half

To me that is really weird. Josh has been brilliant, but it's the player of the season, and he's missed half of it.

For me, there are quite a few in that position. Rowe and Gunn have been great, too, but missed a significant number of games. Nunez and Sainz have only really come to the fore in the second half of the season.

So that left Kenny and Gabby as plausible candidates for me, and I'd say that Gabby has all Kenny's durability, plus a skill level and game-changing ability that Kenny can only dream of. So the decision was easy for me in the end.

But I'm happy Kenny won it, because in my view he should have won it last season, when Sara was great but only in the second half of the season, and Kenny's absence in the last few games showed us how much we missed him. 

In my view, the trophy went to the right two people over the last two seasons, just the wrong way round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I don't understand this. You ask, should he have won it.......but he did win it.  It was by a vote and he won the vote. Simples.

Yes, it was a simple vote and Kenny boy won it , as you say simples. Everybody has favourites . For me, he deserved  it for his contribution over the season.  One last very important point. Let's, all remember life exists as far as  voting supporters are concerned outside of this pinkun forum. Pinkun posters are probably a fraction of who actually voted. 

51 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Finally, remember the words of Wagner on making the right choice in picking Kenny,

“This only shows how smart our supporters are, and he fully deserves this award."

That for me confirmed that he was the right choice. It also confirmed that I am super smart and gave me an erection.

I thought that was maybe a veiled insult given Wagner's personal interactions with the fans.

It's typically British to value the virtues of a relatively unskilled but hard-working, no-nonsense foot soldier. Ultimately it comes down to what question people were answering. I feel this year it would be something like "who deserves a pat on the back for trying really hard and not messing up too often". 

For me, Kenny deserves much credit for his improved discipline and solidity. I thought he was excellent at centre back and brought better balance to the whole team but he's ultimately held together an arguably flawed midfield system. 

Sara, however, is a vastly better (more skillful, game-changing, destructive etc.) player. Far more important to our success and far harder to replace. I think people know that but voted for Kenny anyway. Make of that what you will.

• Like 4

Struggling to see the point of this thread. 

It only enhances your reputation for prolific click-baiting thread starts.

Probably worth giving it a rest for a bit until something worth posting happens.

6 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Struggling to see the point of this thread. 

It only enhances your reputation for prolific click-baiting thread starts.

Probably worth giving it a rest for a bit until something worth posting happens.

Definition of zero - chance of this happening.