Sign in to follow this  
The Dog

Jack Stacey

Great athlete, unbelievably committed and covers some serious miles. Sadly he’s just technically limited when he has the ball which showed today as lost count of the number crosses he had today that went straight to a Swansea player. I guess however it’s why he didn’t quite make it at Bournemouth.

He’s been a very good addition to the club, fair play to Webber on that front,  and I imagine we will be shopping for a similar type of player at left back this summer as I hear McCullum doesn’t want to stay at the club due to being treated badly by Wagner in preseason. It’s alleged he was told he was free to go if he could find a club as he saw Placheta as a left back ahead of him. McCallum got a move lined up on deadline day only for the club to go back on their word. Shame as I think there is a real player in McCallum and whoever signs him will probably get to benefit from that. 

Stacey is an upgrade on Aarons.

Unfortunately the majority of our players have crossed the ball like headless chickens over the season.

Sara is the only reason we find ourselves in our current position. I don’t think Norwich have ever had a corner-taker of such consistent excellence as Sara. He wastes very little, if at all. His passing from the flanks is equally excellent.

On today’s game alone, the contributions from Sara and McLean underlines the travesty of the POTS award.

As a side note, why does Gibson go up for corners? He has made the forlorn journey season after season and never scored a goal, let alone get his head on the ball….

I think “technically limited” when on the ball is a bit of an insult to him. For the most part he’s very good on the ball, he gets in great attacking positions, it’s just his final ball rarely hits the spot for some reason. The rest of his play is excellent I think.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Shame as I think there is a real player in McCallum

Just not a left back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just not a left back.

He’s really a wingback but most fullbacks are nowadays. 

he’s unbelievable good in the air and think his defending will get better as he gets older and plays more games. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

He’s really a wingback but most fullbacks are nowadays. 

he’s unbelievable good in the air and think his defending will get better as he gets older and plays more games. 

Hmm. 🤔

He’s 23 isn’t he? How long do we have to wait?

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, unique said:

As a side note, why does Gibson go up for corners? He has made the forlorn journey season after season and never scored a goal, let alone get his head on the ball….

Liverpool 

Edited by Dame to Blame
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Stacey had a final ball in him he wouldn't be playing for NCFC

Exactly if he could cross as well as he does the other full back duties he would be in the PL and not here and would cost far more than we could afford 

38 minutes ago, unique said:

Unfortunately the majority of our players have crossed the ball like headless chickens over the season.

Sara is the only reason we find ourselves in our current position. I don’t think Norwich have ever had a corner-taker of such consistent excellence as Sara. He wastes very little, if at all. His passing from the flanks is equally excellent.

On today’s game alone, the contributions from Sara and McLean underlines the travesty of the POTS award.

Totally agree re Sara and corners, chuckle re Gibson, add Hanley to that, the corner flags are more in danger than the goal. Imagine Bruce on the end of a Sara corner, that would be a thing of beauty. Mind you Barham could take a corner. 

35 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Stacey had a final ball in him he wouldn't be playing for NCFC

Indeed exactly, I think people forget we’re not Man City! Sara, Sargent, Rowe, Numez are excellent players probably above us in reality! Look at those who come here, not many come from similar or better teams bar those in their twilight years looking for that last paycheque! Duffy, Barnes, Baath…..been like that for a long time. The last big player we signed from a better club has to be Hucks and that we mad a great signing!

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Hmm. 🤔

He’s 23 isn’t he? How long do we have to wait?

How many games has he start for us since he’s been with us? This is his longest run in the team since we signed him. 

A willing runner with no end product ! Similar to Aarons but with a bit more physicality in defense.

It was his misjudgment that led to Swansea gaining impetus leading up to the passage of play where Swansea gained their penalty - so not a thinking footballer.

I feel for Stacey, when you have a very ineffective player in front of you (Fassnacht) and have to do all of his running to. It’s no surprise your crosses are a bit wayward. Mind you, there’s only usually one or two in the box to aim for too

18 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I feel for Stacey, when you have a very ineffective player in front of you (Fassnacht) and have to do all of his running to. It’s no surprise your crosses are a bit wayward. Mind you, there’s only usually one or two in the box to aim for too

I suppose you're right. If you're completely knackered from all that running, there'll be no quality in your play - tired body & tired mind.

Only 2 in the box when Sara crossed to Sargant - managed to pick him out. 

They should stick McCallum in the box at corners and swap him out for Gibson, he wins everything in the air

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

They should stick McCallum in the box at corners and swap him out for Gibson, he wins everything in the air

Don’t be daft! Gibson scored in a meaningless FA Cup match against Liverpool when we were thrashed 5-2….

Just proves Gibson can…….(as long as you ignore all the corners in the 100+ league games where he has trodden that forlorn path).

Hanley isn’t much better.

Our scouting system needs to start coming up with defenders who can defend AND are a threat at set-pieces……NOT the polar opposite.

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

He has one of the best abilities to 'hang' in the air I've ever seen. Ashton commented on it as well yesterday, & he should know.

Still think he might have a future in CD.

• Like 1

Stacey attempted no less than 11 crosses yesterday, of which not one found a teammate.

It's not 100% his fault because our central attackers often fail to find space or make the kind of runs that offer a decent crossing target. But... Doing the same thing over and over again is pretty mindless.

You'd have thought that he might have tried something different after the first 5 attempts. Simply rolling the ball across the 18 yard line for the on rushing midfielder or maybe getting to the byline and cutting it back to the edge of the box perhaps? But no. FFS just keep it on the floor once in a while son!

Unfortunately these kind of "footballing brain" skills are not easy to teach; either you have it or you don't. While Jack is very good at getting into space and moving to receive the ball, he's not great at anticipating his teammates' movement or picking them out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Six Pack said:

I suppose you're right. If you're completely knackered from all that running, there'll be no quality in your play - tired body & tired mind.

Only 2 in the box when Sara crossed to Sargant - managed to pick him out. 

Sara is a creative midfielder, Stacey is a right back

11 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The selection of Fassnacht baffles me, just seems to run around a lot

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2024 at 20:39, The Dog said:

Great athlete, unbelievably committed and covers some serious miles. Sadly he’s just technically limited when he has the ball which showed today as lost count of the number crosses he had today that went straight to a Swansea player. I guess however it’s why he didn’t quite make it at Bournemouth.

He’s been a very good addition to the club, fair play to Webber on that front,  and I imagine we will be shopping for a similar type of player at left back this summer as I hear McCullum doesn’t want to stay at the club due to being treated badly by Wagner in preseason. It’s alleged he was told he was free to go if he could find a club as he saw Placheta as a left back ahead of him. McCallum got a move lined up on deadline day only for the club to go back on their word. Shame as I think there is a real player in McCallum and whoever signs him will probably get to benefit from that. 

Oh man, not another one of these...

McCallum has spoken about his contract situation and it's been reported by the pinkun. If the club were happy to let him go for free, why have they offered him a new contract. If Wagner saw Placheta as a left back ahead of him, why was he allowed to leave for nothing? This is just really, really bad attempts at having a go at a rumour without being aware of the facts that are already out there.

There's no way the club would go back on their word with a player out of contract the following summer, especially if a fee was involved. This stinks so badly of BS that I can see a bunch of farmers heading over here now to try and get some of it to spread on their fields.

In either case, no one seems that enamoured with McCallum, he's not set the pitch on fire that much this season with performances. Will he be massively missed?

As for Stacey... you are so incredibly wrong. Only a few games ago people were admiring his crossing. And you know how wrong you are? https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/stats/_/id/381/norwich-city According to ESPN he is 2nd only to Sara for assists. Just to ensure it isn't just one source, https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich also have him 2nd.

We'll be hearing that Jack Stacey fondled McCallum's misses next... it's not far off it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Petriix said:

Stacey attempted no less than 11 crosses yesterday, of which not one found a teammate.

It's not 100% his fault because our central attackers often fail to find space or make the kind of runs that offer a decent crossing target. But... Doing the same thing over and over again is pretty mindless.

You'd have thought that he might have tried something different after the first 5 attempts. Simply rolling the ball across the 18 yard line for the on rushing midfielder or maybe getting to the byline and cutting it back to the edge of the box perhaps? But no. FFS just keep it on the floor once in a while son!

Unfortunately these kind of "footballing brain" skills are not easy to teach; either you have it or you don't. While Jack is very good at getting into space and moving to receive the ball, he's not great at anticipating his teammates' movement or picking them out. 

So bad, in fact, that he is 2nd best at doing so this season. 2nd only to Sara. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

So bad, in fact, that he is 2nd best at doing so this season. 2nd only to Sara. 

It depends how you want to measure things. Looking purely at crosses Stacey has hit 32 accurate crosses yet he's hit a whopping 159 inaccurate crosses, completing < 17% of his 191 attempts. Of all our players to attempt at least 20 crosses, only Hernandez has a lower completion rate (4 from 31).

The stats are somewhat convoluted by corners but, from open play, Stacey has attempted twice as many crosses as the closest other (Giannoulis 96). Given the sheer weight of numbers, 5 assists from 191 crosses represents a 2.61% conversion rate. That seems like a pretty low percentage to me. 

Generally I think crossing is a poor choice from open play. Watching a player repeatedly waste possession from a promising position is one of the most frustrating things for me in football. Given the recent direction of football away from the traditional "lump it into the right areas and battle for the ball" towards more possession and control, mindless crossing seems pretty regressive to me. 

1952193429_Screenshot_20240428_225859_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b9faba6a1d661c4e213d4730f414f1de.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

It depends how you want to measure things. Looking purely at crosses Stacey has hit 32 accurate crosses yet he's hit a whopping 159 inaccurate crosses, completing < 17% of his 191 attempts. Of all our players to attempt at least 20 crosses, only Hernandez has a lower completion rate (4 from 31).

The stats are somewhat convoluted by corners but, from open play, Stacey has attempted twice as many crosses as the closest other (Giannoulis 96). Given the sheer weight of numbers, 5 assists from 191 crosses represents a 2.61% conversion rate. That seems like a pretty low percentage to me. 

Generally I think crossing is a poor choice from open play. Watching a player repeatedly waste possession from a promising position is one of the most frustrating things for me in football. Given the recent direction of football away from the traditional "lump it into the right areas and battle for the ball" towards more possession and control, mindless crossing seems pretty regressive to me. 

1952193429_Screenshot_20240428_225859_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b9faba6a1d661c4e213d4730f414f1de.jpg

Such a poor counter, sorry. Crossing is never an exact science... I remember being coached and told that people think you cross to a player, but very, very few players have that genuine ability. You are coached to cross into a space.

What happens is when players have played enough together, they start to understand which area a player is going to attack and when.

Aarons always kept it low. I think possibly because of Pukki.

The point here is though, without his crossing, he'd not have the assists and we'd be down goals and points.

You can't argue you can read too much into a stat then provide another stat you can also read too much into. What makes an accurate cross? That it goes to a player? Does it say how many players are attacking it? Does it say if it goes to our player but they lose out in a duel? Does it say the cross goes to the intended space eg; front post, back post, penalty spot?

Lastly, crossing is still an important part of the game. Man City still cross to Haarland. Not only that, this won't be a Stacey thing, he'll be encouraged to do this through coaching and training.

Sainz rarely crosses and has 1/3 of the assists of Stacey though he plays the ball on the deck into the box. Equally, are there stats for balls into the box that are not in there air/considered crosses?

As it's been noted already in this thread, if Stacey was providing match winning crosses every game he would not play for Norwich. As a free transfer he's been an incredibly shrewd acquisition who has contributed a lot this season. Anyone who says otherwise despite a few games where his crosses haven't been great is a little deluded or expects too much from a team at this level. 

• Like 4

Fantastic engine and skillful at times too. His crossing in the danger zone is on par with a blind man’s though, Ashton must have mentioned this a dozen times v Swansea. 

On 27/04/2024 at 20:52, unique said:

Not sure I'd agree. I think both sit on a similar sort of level. 

I think Nigel Worthington once talked about trying to target players who were not maybe at Premier League level but equally better than the Championship. For me, Stacey (and Aarons) fit into this category.