Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

14 years ago today...the place was going bananas

What a day that was. Iconic game and genuinely one of my favourite days ever.

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ah, it was cracking. I couldn’t get a ticket in my usual spot and ended up in the away end having to pretend to not be ecstatic when Simeon scored!

Along with beating Leeds in the 3rd tier with Chris Martin’s late goal, this is probably one of favourite moments watching city in the last 30 years.

Ive seen us beat Man City & Utd, Safri’s thunderb@st@rd against Newcastle, the 5-1 at Portaloo Rd, various promotions, but the sheer ecstasy of those two late goals will take some beating. 

• Like 2

One of the loudest if not the loudest goal celebrations at Carrow Rd ever. I was in the Upper Barclay and had a great view of that ball somehow getting over the line.

Goreham totally losing his **** and pandemonium in the Snake Pit. What a day.

• Like 2

Extraordinary game and commentary. My favourite home game ever. The young lady next to me just burst into tears 😂

• Haha 1

I hugged a stranger that day which is very unlike me. He seemed OK with it.

I think I agree with Dylan that it might be my favourite ever home game. (The play off semi vs Wolves probably no2)

The Goreham commentary is properly iconic. CHAAAAAAAAANCE! But the hero of that clip is the guy who falls over the hoardings and tries to style it out. 

Absolutely mad day. Why we keep coming back.

• Haha 3

Given how iconic that 3rd goal has become I'd actually forgotten what a nice finish the 2nd one was.

But blimey.  It can't really be 14 years ago can it ?!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All hail Simeon Jackson. Quite a story for him (and us) that year. 

My other happy memory is the salty and bitter reaction of Neil Warnock waiting on our result on the pitch at QPR😂

Amazing scenes like that in the Lambert era. I try and put aside my thoughts on his conduct since he left us and think about 3 amazing years of his time in post. Which, ultimately, is how he will be truly judged. He got successive teams "going to the well" for him and that's a credit to him and the players he brought in.

Happy days. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

But the hero of that clip is the guy who falls over the hoardings and tries to style it out. 

To this day I'm still not quite sure what he did there. Looks like some kind of karate kick over the hoardings 😂

Posted (edited)

Was in the usual spot in the lower Barclay that day, never heard anything like it, that split second where everyone thought it'd been blocked and wasn't going in. Gasps turned to the loudest collective cheer ever that seemed to go on forever. 

Never forget that spine tingling sound that I suspect will never be recreated. 

It really was special and you just had to be there to get it. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Such a great experience, enhanced by the fact it was all made possible by Robbie Savage being a time wasting ****. 

How I laughed at full-time after Savage's antics....A great day and many an ale quaffed in celebration afterwards....Cheers Robbie 🙂 

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

All hail Simeon Jackson. Quite a story for him (and us) that year. 

My other happy memory is the salty and bitter reaction of Neil Warnock waiting on our result on the pitch at QPR😂

Amazing scenes like that in the Lambert era. I try and put aside my thoughts on his conduct since he left us and think about 3 amazing years of his time in post. Which, ultimately, is how he will be truly judged. He got successive teams "going to the well" for him and that's a credit to him and the players he brought in.

Happy days. 

They were easily my best days as a season ticket holder. A never say die team that played some excellent football and went at teams with absolutely no fear no matter who they were.

Crazy to me we finished midtable in the Premier League with a defence containing players like Marc Tierney, Elliot Ward and Zak Whitbred.

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

They were easily my best days as a season ticket holder. A never say die team that played some excellent football and went at teams with absolutely no fear no matter who they were.

Crazy to me we finished midtable in the Premier League with a defence containing players like Marc Tierney, Elliot Ward and Zak Whitbred.

Hey, Elliot Ward was basically Van Dijk without the classy name. Do we not remember his, at time pretty random, runs forward with the ball which he actually somehow carried pretty well?

Also never forget the fella who tumbled down some stairs and fell over the stand during the celebrations! 

35 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

No, it’s 13 years but for a day like that who’s quibbling ? 😀

Makes me feel slightly better 🤣 feels like only a few years ago Lambert was in charge, time really does fly.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

They were easily my best days as a season ticket holder

It was my penultimate game as a season ticket holder. Last one was 'Oh Sammy Clingan, it could have been you.' 

Not a bad way to go out...

I wasn't there as I was away at uni, but the Goreham commentary is probably my favourite piece of commentary of all time. 

Come to think if it, I was living away for both of the best periods in recent times (Lambert and Farke) so only attended sporadically. Can't help but feel I missed out somewhat 😢

39 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Come to think if it, I was living away for both of the best periods in recent times (Lambert and Farke) so only attended sporadically. Can't help but feel I missed out somewhat 😢

Perhaps its time to take that 2nd degree, or even a masters? 😉 

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Also never forget the fella who tumbled down some stairs and fell over the stand during the celebrations! 

My mate 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Up there with my 3 best ever football memories (the other two being the Milk Cup final and Bayern Munich). Just imagine VAR ruling that out.......

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Perhaps its time to take that 2nd degree, or even a masters? 😉 

Well, if you're paying...

But saying that, in the first Farke promotion season of 2018/19 I actually managed to experience the perfect blend of Lambert 2010/11 and Farke 2018/19.

I had a season ticket at Lecce in the Italian Serie B who followed an eerily similar path to Lambert's side. The season before, in the third tier, Lecce had a poor start and changed manager after three games. The new man implemented a 4-3-1-2 system which saw them storm up the table and win the league. The next season, still with the same formation based around a diminutive, gifted left-footed attacking midfielder and a well-travelled targetman centre forward, they went up in second place after having picked up a lot of points with late goals. 

And with Norwich also having an unexpected promotion going on at exactly the same, I was feeling it twice over.

So whilst I have never managed to see a promotion as a season ticket holder at Norwich, I have at least seen two elsewhere...