1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

He had 30 minutes against Rotherham and offered nothing. Kinda says it all for me.

Well, thanks for your input.  Interesting you can write off a player so quickly, your career as a top scout must have been impressive.

• Haha 1

So the fans can't write off a player but Wagner can?

I'm not one of Wagner's biggest fans but I admire him sticking to his guns on SVH. The only thing I would query if it is right to take up a place on the bench for a player that won't take part.

We needed fresh legs for Sargent yesterday but continue to flog him into the ground.

11 hours ago, daly said:

We’ve got as much chance of Premiership football next season as my Granny going to the Moon 

You should watch mandy. She manages to go to Mars 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

So the fans can't write off a player but Wagner can?

I'm not one of Wagner's biggest fans but I admire him sticking to his guns on SVH. The only thing I would query if it is right to take up a place on the bench for a player that won't take part.

We needed fresh legs for Sargent yesterday but continue to flog him into the ground.

Excactly. Will eventually cost us.

14 hours ago, daly said:

We’ve got as much chance of Premiership football next season as my Granny going to the Moon 

Your not wrong, we don't play in Scotland. 

Our top league is the premier League. Which we have a one in four chance of gaining 👍👍

I think it boils down to whether or not we (club or fans) want the boy here next season, whatever division we are in.

The fans are not impressed, it seems.

The machinations behind the appropriate decision makers at Carrow Road are uncertain, though, but I suspect it will be a negative.

Back on topic......SVH was not, I don't think, brought in as a direct replacement in playing style for Idah or Sargent. I don't think any coach could look at him and think he could do that job. He is a very different type of forward and was I suspect an option for Wagner to play a different way - but, as we now know, his favoured way of playing started to finally click into place and deliver results as well as some performances. SVH simply doesn't fit that way - you can't just write him off as a footballer because his attributes don't fit slickly into a system; I would have hoped we would have learned from RVW and Becchio - both good footballers who we couldn't use properly at the time.

Wagner is nothing if not determined. His one way of playing can quite easily be dealt with by mobile, quick players and a reasonably astute coach. SVH would need to be able to hold the ball up better and play as a target man to be of any real use; for the same reason, Aboh doesn't get on either.

I read a very interesting article about why Steve Weaver is leaving, which basically said it's because our Academy teams don't play the same way as the first team anymore. Farke tried to change that, but it's slipped again since he left. What is the point of having prolific poaching strikers and ball playing centre backs at Academy level if they can't step up when they're needed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

What is the point of having prolific poaching strikers and ball playing centre backs at Academy level if they can't step up when they're needed?

To sell on 

5 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

But there isn’t any actual evidence that they don’t. He just isn’t prepared to play his one signing because he clearly isn’t good enough. That’s a Knapper problem, not a Wagner one

Wagner’s also been very vocal both at the time and recently about the squad being weakened in January and how he was against it but it wasn’t his decision.

You add the SVH issue and not using any youth players and there certainly seems some circumstantial evidence they aren’t on the same page.

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

To sell on 

Not worth much if they can’t make it into the first team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not worth much if they can’t make it into the first team.

If they're from the academy it's a profit. However little. It all adds up. 

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Back on topic......SVH was not, I don't think, brought in as a direct replacement in playing style for Idah or Sargent. I don't think any coach could look at him and think he could do that job. He is a very different type of forward and was I suspect an option for Wagner to play a different way - but, as we now know, his favoured way of playing started to finally click into place and deliver results as well as some performances. SVH simply doesn't fit that way - you can't just write him off as a footballer because his attributes don't fit slickly into a system; I would have hoped we would have learned from RVW and Becchio - both good footballers who we couldn't use properly at the time.

Wagner is nothing if not determined. His one way of playing can quite easily be dealt with by mobile, quick players and a reasonably astute coach. SVH would need to be able to hold the ball up better and play as a target man to be of any real use; for the same reason, Aboh doesn't get on either.

I read a very interesting article about why Steve Weaver is leaving, which basically said it's because our Academy teams don't play the same way as the first team anymore. Farke tried to change that, but it's slipped again since he left. What is the point of having prolific poaching strikers and ball playing centre backs at Academy level if they can't step up when they're needed?

I think SVH’s role, certainly for this season, was only ever going to be as a sub. If there were injuries maybe he’d get a shot but even then I’m not sure. With Rowe returning it seems like people are starting to wonder how we can fit Rowe/Sainz/Sara/Nunez into the same team. Barnes seems like the obvious choice in this scenario, there’s the question of whether Sara or Rowe go into that position but in terms of getting your best players onto the pitch all at once he’s the one to go. The only other option would be to drop Kenny into CB but that feels less likely.

Had we not lost both Rowe and Hernandez (and others) to injury I don’t think this debate would ever really have popped up as the minutes would’ve been shared around a little better I think.

As a sub option I think it’s clear why you’d go for SVH, he’s got good goalscoring pedigree from a young age and at the back end of games when you’re searching for a goal that could be what you need. Certainly his game seems to be more oriented to him being a penalty box striker, and I wouldn’t want him dropping deep in midfield based off what we’ve seen. I do think he’d be fine when we’re holding on to a lead, he’s a good target to aim at and fresh legs are always welcome at that point.

26 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

If they're from the academy it's a profit. However little. It all adds up. 

I mean true, but the real money comes from the talent that makes it as we’ve seen over the last decade. Needs to be a pathway.

19 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Word is that he is stinking the place out in training. Not just fitness but all aspects. 

The only signing by Knapper and Wagner won’t play him. 

Something has to give . 

Where has this “word” come from? Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Where has this “word” come from? Care to elaborate?

Your telling me you haven't heard? I was told that everyone had heard? 

How could you not have heard about the word!??......... 

7f431e23cc62e327942aa4236d2b9923.gif

• Haha 8

Its a shame SVH cannot at least have a chance to impress- is it knapper whom got it wrong or is it Wagner who in the wrong ?

8 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Its a shame SVH cannot at least have a chance to impress- is it knapper whom got it wrong or is it Wagner who in the wrong ?

Well, considering Wagner and his coaches don't rate him, those who saw SvH in the u21s march were unimpressed and when he has come on the pitch its looked like he's finding out what football is for the first time, you can probably take an educated guess.

It's the sort of signing I understand risking in the summer or in Jan if there is absolutely nothing to play for. But to sign him unfit in January in place for Idah had the potential to be sucidial to our playoff hopes.

On 20/04/2024 at 17:20, Soldier on said:

Not sure how we ever expect him to get up to speed if the manager never uses him. If he is training well he has the right to feel aggrieved!!

Yes, if only there was somewhere he could 'get up to speed. A place all the others use. A training ground perhaps. However he has had plenty of time as have the coaches which suggest that he might be a 'disruptive force' (as elsewhere in this thread) might have some truth in it, and his minimal time on the pitch is merely to fulfil dome contractual obligation.

The thought is you don't break up a winning team, as is now - but surely when Barnes comes off Syd would be thought the natural replacement. All very odd.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

but surely when Barnes comes off Syd would be thought the natural replacement. All very odd.

Not really, no, it meant Sara could move to the number 10 position where he has been very effective.

SVH just doesn't suit our style of play at all I'm afraid, I think he's basically in the Jordan Rhodes mould, and he wouldn't suit our style of play either.

At least this puts away the old Cantwell-esque argument that 'he's got a long exotic name and isn't a local lad, so he'll be given unlimited chances'.

On 20/04/2024 at 18:53, Virtual reality said:

Just a really bizarre piece of business to let Idah go who was getting minutes and scoring some important goals and then get this fella in as his replacement. We as fans clearly haven’t seen much of him, but it’s very clear that the management team have seen enough to decide he isn’t up to the task. 

Maybe if less fans had been quite so unreasonably scathing of Idah, he might have been less insistent on a move, but they were and he was. That's life.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

At least this puts away the old Cantwell-esque argument that 'he's got a long exotic name and isn't a local lad, so he'll be given unlimited chances'.

Yeah but I mean even those fans have a limit...

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Maybe if less fans had been quite so unreasonably scathing of Idah, he might have been less insistent on a move, but they were and he was. That's life.

Maybe if his manager had trusted him to start games when his two first choice strikers were injured he might not have wanted to move. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Not really, no, it meant Sara could move to the number 10 position where he has been very effective.

All about opinions of course, but I think this is part of the issue. Sara hasn't been effective as a 10. Yet he ended up there towards the end of the game with SVW sitting on the bench. 

Sara needs to be on and around the ball deeper . Look at his pass for our equaliser. That is Sara;s best place. Not waiting for the ball as a 10. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 13:52, sgncfc said:

Re: Weaver. Is this a good or bad thing? The pathway to the first team has been fairly decent so on that basis I would be worried. Equally, we haven’t had a real “style” since promotion in 20/21 as we abandoned what worked so well for the ill-fated 4-3-3. It’s a weird position we find ourselves in, since Knapper’s barely had any time to stamp his name on proceedings. We don’t even know if there’s any desire to bring in a new style of play across the board. 

32 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So you’ve made it up then

That’ll be nope again I’m afraid. 

Man says he heard something from a source he isn’t happy to name on a football forum. 

Of course I could  be desperate for attention. Trying  to impress anonymous posters in my own anonymity. That may be the case here . It’s a chance you take Baldy. 

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

That’ll be nope again I’m afraid. 

Man says he heard something from a source he isn’t happy to name on a football forum. 

Of course I could  be desperate for attention. Trying  to impress anonymous posters in my own anonymity. That may be the case here . It’s a chance you take Baldy. 

Considering i've heard similar and it's also not something you're known for doing on this forum I think it's safe to say both you and your source are telling the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Considering i've heard similar and it's also not something you're known for doing on this forum I think it's safe to say both you and your source are telling the truth.

The mind races. Knapper clearly thought it was a good signing. But did Wagner. As evidently he doesn’t believe SVH is up to it. So is he worse in the flesh. Or did Knapper lumber him upon Wagner, convinced he knew better. It doesn’t bode well for the summer.