7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One of the best hatricks that's been seen in years?

Without Cole palmer chelsea wouldn't even be near a win this season 😂.. And man city are that good to just to get rid. 

How this fella is the go to England keeper is beyond me. Despite the mistakes for Everton,its his constant smiling when on the end of a defeat that would really p*ss me off as a fan.

19 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Didn't work out last week as my captain in fantasy premier league, this week on the other hand 😆😆

Yep.👍😀

15 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

How this fella is the go to England keeper is beyond me. Despite the mistakes for Everton,its his constant smiling when on the end of a defeat that would really p*ss me off as a fan.

Well you see..

Not many other choices. I started worrying years ago when all the top teams began being full of foreign players that it would end up hurting the England squad and I was right

So you're 4-0 up and you get a penalty and then the team starts fighting and pushing and shoving over who gets to take it and even when it gets scored you're still aruging..

Chelsea dressing room must be a fun place

All the more better being against Everton. Can’t stand that grubby club & its supporters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well you see..

Not many other choices. I started worrying years ago when all the top teams began being full of foreign players that it would end up hurting the England squad and I was right

Such a visionary.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So you're 4-0 up and you get a penalty and then the team starts fighting and pushing and shoving over who gets to take it and even when it gets scored you're still aruging..

Chelsea dressing room must be a fun place

Embarrassing. Multi-millionaire egos at play. Bet they're great fun on a night out.

Palmer is there regular penalty taker, don't think his missed one all season and Jackson wants to take it. 

Like snodgrass and van wolfswinkel but with a bigger budget. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One of the best hatricks that's been seen in years?

Southgate says he’d rather have Hendo pointing 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well you see..

How have you worked that out ? This England squad will surely be the strongest ever assembled, mainly due to how the academy system was changed. One of the hardest things will be who to leave out, due to all the current English talent. We possibly currently have the world’s best player in Bellingham, certainly the best in Europe. We have major talents in Foden and Saka and players like Ivan Toney who will probably be getting moved on for 60 million plus won’t even be good enough to get in the squad. The only problem we might hit is injuries at the back, but hopefully Stones and Walker will be fit.

You must also remember that some of those in the squad, play much better consistently for England, than for their club. Pickford for instance statistically for England has only made one mistake that’s resulted in a goal.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Well b back said:

How have you worked that out ? This England squad will surely be the strongest ever assembled, mainly due to how the academy system was changed. One of the hardest things will be who to leave out, due to all the current English talent. We possibly currently have the world’s best player in Bellingham, certainly the best in Europe. We have major talents in Foden and Saka and players like Ivan Toney who will probably be getting moved on for 60 million plus won’t even be good enough to get in the squad. The only problem we might hit is injuries at the back, but hopefully Stones and Walker will be fit.

You must also remember that some of those in the squad, play much better consistently for England, than for their club. Pickford for instance statistically for England has only made one mistake that’s resulted in a goal.

I support the England team more than most, it seems, and admit to having had the same worries regarding the increase in foreign players into our top leagues. I thought it would stifle home growth.

However, the reverse has happened, and I fully endorse every word of this post above.

The recent tournament successes, and we are amongst the favourites for the up-coming Euros that I have high hopes for, may have been achieved despite Southgate.

I am inclined to believe he has done a good job so far, but I now think we need a more adventurous and less defensive manager for the future in order to fully utilise the talents of incredible youngsters that are blossoming at international level. There is no ceiling for Bellingham for instance.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Posted (edited)

I think Palmer is more than good enough to play for England but how you would fit him in the team is another matter. 

In 1966, England had probably the world's best goalscorer in Jimmy Greaves but he was left out because the team as a whole were better without him. Perhaps it's time that Kane is left out? Or perhaps play him behind Palmer? 

I'd also agree with the views above about the current crop of England players. They're the best for 50 years and Bellingham will probably end up being the best ever. I watched Anthony Gordon against Spurs and he was so good even Saka can't be sure of his England place. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Otherthan Walker England lacks world class defenders. An embarrassment of riches in attacking positions, embarrassing in others. A systemic issue or just fate?

Palmer is an incredible player. Ironically Man City could well end up buying him back one day.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Otherthan Walker England lacks world class defenders. An embarrassment of riches in attacking positions, embarrassing in others. A systemic issue or just fate?

Palmer is an incredible player. Ironically Man City could well end up buying him back one day.

Fate I'd say.

It wasn't that many years ago we'd say the opposite was true of the England squad- we had Terry, Ferdinand and Campbell all vying for central defensive places and Cole who was the best left back in the world at the time.

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

Exactly.

Imagine comparing this squad to the ones we saw in the 90's pre the influx of international players into the league and saying 'foreign players have made our national team worse.'

11 hours ago, daz said:

And man city are that good to just to get rid.

Palmer is a 'victim' of these stupid profitability rules that incentivise teams to sell their home grown players. 

11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well you see..

Actually, you were wrong. 

The influx of players from overseas has raised the standards at both Premier League and youth level.

England are performing consistently better at both youth and senior level than they ever have before, possibly aside from the 1966 World Cup win which was a bit of a one-off, and it's because the players from abroad have made England's top division and academy system arguably the strongest in the world.

English players are playing against the best in the world from the age of 16 now so the best ones will only get better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Palmer is a 'victim' of these stupid profitability rules that incentivise teams to sell their home grown players. 

Palmer asked to leave because he didn't get the promise of more game time he was after. That's from Guradiola too. He is no victim, just a young player who thought he was ready to play regularly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Exactly the problem. England have a wealth of top-drawer attacking midfielders. They've no depth up top, not much international class in defence, and none whatsoever in goal. Southgate's done very well to build a capable tournament team out of such a spectacularly imbalanced generation of players.

Still think that 2006 generation was the most balanced and capable line-up England had in decades.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Actually, you were wrong. 

The influx of players from overseas has raised the standards at both Premier League and youth level.

England are performing consistently better at both youth and senior level than they ever have before, possibly aside from the 1966 World Cup win which was a bit of a one-off, and it's because the players from abroad have made England's top division and academy system arguably the strongest in the world.

English players are playing against the best in the world from the age of 16 now so the best ones will only get better.

Agree with this in general but wonder if the exception is the goalkeeper position, because each club can obviously only have one, so there are hardly any English keepers playing in the top flight to choose from. It's not a great situation where England's no1 keeper is playing for a team in the relegation battle.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Agree with this in general but wonder if the exception is the goalkeeper position, because each club can obviously only have one, so there are hardly any English keepers playing in the top flight to choose from. It's not a great situation where England's no1 keeper is playing for a team in the relegation battle.

To be fair, that never stopped East Germany's Jürgen Croy from being possibly the most underrated goalkeeper ever nowadays. There just aren't enough English goalies playing at the top level, that's the problem.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

There just aren't enough English goalies playing at the top level, that's the problem.

Well, that's what I meant, really. Obviously people like Foden and Saka are going to benefit from playing with the best players in the world (and under world-class coaches) - but all English keepers get from the best international keepers coming to the PL are splinters.

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Well, that's what I meant, really. Obviously people like Foden and Saka are going to benefit from playing with the best players in the world (and under world-class coaches) - but all English keepers get from the best international keepers coming to the PL are splinters.

Yep, Croy was wanted by all of East Germany's top clubs and Erich Mielke tried getting him for perpetual champions Dynamo Berlin, but he argued that as he played for a weaker team in the then East German Oberliga in Sachsenring Zwickau, he'd get far more practice and therefore stay sharper as a goalie.

Pickford is not a top-drawer international-class goalie by any means, but he's rarely let England down, unlike Joe Hart or even Rob Green. And I actually think it's because he plays for a weaker PL side in Everton that keeps him sharp / near his best when he plays internationally.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

And I actually think it's because he plays for a weaker PL side in Everton that keeps him sharp / near his best when he plays internationally.

Yeah, that's a fair point.