Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Brighton - A Formula to Copy

You do realise this will give essex yet another club to use as a stick to beat Norwich City with ?

Posted (edited)

Yep, just need someone to loan us 373 million pounds interest free. 

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 8

Just as well that we dropped the 'Charlton' model 😔

Not that I’m jealous but the bbc article narrative is aren’t nice little Brighton this brilliant club.

Things to note without the player sales they essentially broke even. If they hadn’t sold them they are staring at a 121 million pound loss. 

Tony bloom Mr Brighton himself took 30 million out of the club to pay himself back.  Probably nothing to worry about but interesting if it became a trend.

The figures don’t include the Belgium feeder team Tony Bloom also owns.

• Like 1

Plenty of football club owners are super rich but Bloom is clearly a genuine fan that's embracing building the club up.

There are obvious things we will be looking to do similarly to them (leaning more heavily on analytics in recruitment for instance) but I can't imagine Attanasio's group will be dropping anywhere close to the amount that Bloom has on Brighton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Not that I’m jealous but the bbc article narrative is aren’t nice little Brighton this brilliant club.

Things to note without the player sales they essentially broke even. If they hadn’t sold them they are staring at a 121 million pound loss. 

Tony bloom Mr Brighton himself took 30 million out of the club to pay himself back.  Probably nothing to worry about but interesting if it became a trend.

The figures don’t include the Belgium feeder team Tony Bloom also owns.

No guarantee Attanasio might not do similar in the future.

If it's an investment then he has the right to make a return on it, as painful as that might be for the fans.

Unrealistic model to follow. Their owner is a fan who also has access to hundreds of millions that he can blow on his favorite team. Tony Bloom is like the equivalent of Delia and Michael if they were both billionaires and unfortunately that is a very rare occurrence and as far as I'm aware there isn't a Norwich fan out there who has that type of money to spend.

Yes Brighton made a large profit this year but it was after years of losses and if Bloom got a couple of head coach appointments wrong he could very easily still be owning a Championship club with huge debt being penalized by FFP rules and no way to bail them out of it. Plus they got promoted and survived for a couple of years under Hughton playing a style of football that has worked for a few other clubs that a lot of fans look at enviously but one that they would never accept at our club. 

Brighton might now be the model club to follow but to get where they are they had to rely on massive investment from their owner and their fans accepted pragmatic football for a while until they were in a position to change it. We won't ever be able to spend hundreds of millions to get there and a large proportion of our fans will never accept anything other than attacking football so it's a pointless comparison. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

"Why aren't we Brighton?"

I wouldn’t mind just being Luton and getting over 21 points in a PL season. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Just as well that we dropped the 'Charlton' model 😔

Swansea, Bolton, Portsmouth…I’ve seen a few the fans wanted us to emulate over the years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And to find a club with far more money than sense who are willing to spend £250m on players and staff in a 12-month period.

Idah is available for 50m if they fancy 😉

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

No guarantee Attanasio might not do similar in the future.

If it's an investment then he has the right to make a return on it, as painful as that might be for the fans.

And didn't Delia do something similar albeit with way less cash? 

Hang on didn’t things start with a certain Chris Houghton as manager, so we were Brighton, but we threw it away.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You do realise this will give essex yet another club to use as a stick to beat Norwich City with ?

They still didn't top NCFC in the 2021/22 Wages Stakes.

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I wouldn’t mind just being Luton and getting over 21 points in a PL season. 

So would Sheffield United and Burnley.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

So would Sheffield United and Burnley.

That’s a low bar! Season hasn’t finished, you’re making predictions there. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That’s a low bar! Season hasn’t finished, you’re making predictions there. 

I see what you’re trying to do there. 😐

On 02/04/2024 at 18:23, Ulfotto said:

obviously they wouldn't have shelled out on all the transfers in without that though

21 hours ago, essex canary said:

They still didn't top NCFC in the 2021/22 Wages Stakes.

Poor effort or maybe you are losing your ability to whinge ?

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Poor effort or maybe you are losing your ability to whinge ?

I don't think it's possible to lose that amount of natural ability and talent..

• Haha 1

On 02/04/2024 at 20:39, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Unrealistic model to follow. Their owner is a fan who also has access to hundreds of millions that he can blow on his favorite team. Tony Bloom is like the equivalent of Delia and Michael if they were both billionaires and unfortunately that is a very rare occurrence and as far as I'm aware there isn't a Norwich fan out there who has that type of money to spend.

Yes Brighton made a large profit this year but it was after years of losses and if Bloom got a couple of head coach appointments wrong he could very easily still be owning a Championship club with huge debt being penalized by FFP rules and no way to bail them out of it. Plus they got promoted and survived for a couple of years under Hughton playing a style of football that has worked for a few other clubs that a lot of fans look at enviously but one that they would never accept at our club. 

Brighton might now be the model club to follow but to get where they are they had to rely on massive investment from their owner and their fans accepted pragmatic football for a while until they were in a position to change it. We won't ever be able to spend hundreds of millions to get there and a large proportion of our fans will never accept anything other than attacking football so it's a pointless comparison. 

Thing about model clubs is they can always tell you something. In this case TB has sunk hundreds of millions of pounds that he is unlikely ever to see again. What has that go him? Not the mythical "established EPL club", but a selling club that currently sits 9th. Rumour is there is unrest in the ranks and the coach is likely to move on at the end of the season. So they will then have to go again, and again, and again. This may well work, but Leicester is a recent example of a club running out of road when trying to be competitive at the elite level season after season,

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think it's possible to lose that amount of natural ability and talent..

Considering the Carrow Road hierarchy outspent in Wages terms when last in the PL a bloke who has invested £370 million in his Club and still maintain that we can get to the PL and remain there for evermore, they must have more natural ability and talent than the Monty Python scriptwriters.

5 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Considering the Carrow Road hierarchy outspent in Wages terms when last in the PL a bloke who has invested £370 million in his Club and still maintain that we can get to the PL and remain there for evermore, they must have more natural ability and talent than the Monty Python scriptwriters.

See, form is temporary and class is permanent. I knew you'd come back with a bang

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

See, form is temporary and class is permanent. I knew you'd come back with a bang

Wait until he spots my membership thread.

• Like 1