Not really sure why people get their knickers in a twist over international friendlies, especially ones so late in the season when club football is at a vital stage. There are likely to be wholesale changes tonight so chances are it will be disjointed.

The matches that matter are qualifiers and tournament games.

• Like 2

Going to see the new Ghostbusters film instead. Can't wait to be disappointed by that instead of England!

• Haha 2

Probably will watch Wales on SC4 as that, at least, is a competitive game. 

25 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Going to see the new Ghostbusters film instead. Can't wait to be disappointed by that instead of England!

Who you gonna call? Anyone but Southgate..

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Not really sure why people get their knickers in a twist over international friendlies, especially ones so late in the season when club football is at a vital stage. There are likely to be wholesale changes tonight so chances are it will be disjointed.

The matches that matter are qualifiers and tournament games.

There are four of them and justified in order to give the managers games to formulate their squads and final teams for the up-coming Euros. It sounds reasonable, and most countries have them. The two this time around seemed juicy enough until the unavailables  made the original aim a bit pointless.

Southgate claims that it gives him a chance to assess others, which I suppose he finds useful, at least. We all saw that Chilwell is not now up to it for a starter.

The fact that they come at a crucial time in the leagues is unfortunate, but we cannot dictate when the Euros take place. 

The Euros are great, and we have to hope that the game tonight is not a repeat of the bore fest against Brazil.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Be nice to see Branthwaite and Konsa get a start in central defence. Mainoo getting a start and hopefully Madison getting a run out. 

And hopefully not seeing Gallagher, Chilwell and Dunk featuring who all looked well out of their depth on Saturday.

It will be a disjointed performance guaranteed. Walker and Kane are out do Toney will start. Total waste of time.

We're not going to win the Euros so people may as well manage their expectations and just enjoy the tournament for what it is.

Southgate won't be making that many changes to his preferred starting XI at the start of the tourno. We just have to hope Walker stays fit and Shaw recovers and somehow our CBs stop making woeful mistakes.

The other thing is if Kane is not available at any stage is Bellingham a better option given he plays much further forward for Madrid?

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

and hopefully Madison getting a run out. 

🤣🤣. Under Southgate!

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I enjoyed it. But then I'm going to love anything Ghostbusters. Watched the original 2 pretty much every week as a kid. 

I never quite get why for int friendlies you just don't pick a squad that have never played for England before. Give them all a run out, see how they handle int games and if a gem in unearthed then great, if they all flop then they aren't picked for tourneys!!?? 

I thought I couldn't be any more indifferent to an England friendly than I was to the Brazil match at the weekend.

But then tonight's game came along.

Pedestrian all round and 1-1.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Anyone watching this one tonight? Channel 4, 7:45.

Of coursee given how England played against Brazil I'm not expecting much..

Then why torture yourself by watching it then ?

Start a few new threads on here instead and have some fun tonight 😉

• Haha 1

If you want to see a proper football match with 2 great national anthems watch Wales v Poland instead. 

Is this a good time to start the national anthem debate again? I suggest either the Archers theme (Billy Connolly suggestion) or Bohemian Rhapsody with Jack Grealish on air guitar 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Is this a good time to start the national anthem debate again?

Benny Hill theme, met with salutes from a solemn faced crowd stood with their tongues out.

Any hint of a smile results in arrest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you want to see a proper football match with 2 great national anthems watch Wales v Poland instead. 

Is this a good time to start the national anthem debate again? I suggest either the Archers theme (Billy Connolly suggestion) or Bohemian Rhapsody with Jack Grealish on air guitar 

Given the current state of the country I think I'd suggest 'Every Day is Like Sunday' by Morrissey.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This Belguim kit is one of the ugliest I have seen for a while.. Who thought a cyan top with brown shorts was a good idea?

I mean it works for some....

Tintin_and_Snowy.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Given the current state of the country I think I'd suggest 'Every Day is Like Sunday' by Morrissey.

Actually, scratch that - this is genius:

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Benny Hill theme, met with salutes from a solemn faced crowd stood with their tongues out.

Any hint of a smile results in arrest.

• Haha 1

A fine display of how VAR and its lengthy checks ruins the flow of football. 
took ages for the penalty and the Bowen goal

• Like 1

Jeepers, England defend like Norwich! Pickford is absolutely pants as a keeper, how can he be regarded as our number 1. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Wouldn't say the Welsh anthem is that great. I'd put Men of Harlech and Yma o Hyd miles ahead of Land of My Fathers personally. Totally agree about Poland's anthem though, that one is an absolute beauty.

And now you see why it won't come home with this overrated, or more precisely imbalanced crop of players. England might have a bumper crop of attacking midfielders, but goalkeeping and defence is not good enough against international opposition of genuine class.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

And now you see why it won't come home with this overrated, or more precisely imbalanced crop of players. England might have a bumper crop of attacking midfielders, but goalkeeping and defence is not good enough against international opposition of genuine class.

Hang on - are you saying it's not all the fault of [checks notes] England's most successful coach in 60 years? Huge if true.