TIL 1010

What Has Our Ashley Been Up To ( Allegedly ) ?

Haven't the mirror been after him before?  I remember reading a headline about Barnes's goal being the most ugliest goal ever when he slid that opener against 'boro.

• Like 1

Perhaps he's using horse steroids. 

May explain a few things!

A more uncharitable headline might’ve read: ‘Footballing Donkey Banned From Races’ 

• Haha 1

Well it's a legit investigation it seems so definitely not made up. Two others involved as well looking at the decision dates. 

According to the BHA

Cant see how the third breach applies. Of course it has been commonplace in Cricket for players to be paid to throw a game not that I am suggesting anything of the kind specifically here of course

If an individual is charged with a serious breach of the Rules of Racing, including, but not limited to, corruption, improper use of ‘inside’ information or administering a prohibitive substance, he or she is required to appear before the Disciplinary Panel of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA). After a fair, impartial hearing, the Disciplinary Panel decides if there has been a breach of the Rules of Racing and, if so, on an appropriate punishment.

If the charged individual is ‘warned off’, they are excluded from any premises licensed by the BHA, including racecourses and training establishments, and restricted from associating with other licensed or registered persons, including jockeys, trainers and owners, for a length of time stipulated by the Disciplinary Panel.

12 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Interesting. A little more information here:

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/disqualified-excluded-persons/

It doesn't specify what the investigation was about, but presumably this John Higgins from Devon (probably not the snooker player) was involved as well.

The John Higgins mentioned is Ashley's father in law.  This Racing Post article gives a little more insight............

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/former-premier-league-striker-handed-exclusion-order-by-the-bha-after-failing-to-cooperate-with-investigation-anEHp6B8FdDk/

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The John Higgins mentioned is Ashley's father in law.  This Racing Post article gives a little more insight............

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/former-premier-league-striker-handed-exclusion-order-by-the-bha-after-failing-to-cooperate-with-investigation-anEHp6B8FdDk/

So what is the connection between Ashley Barnes and Hillsin? The article doesn't say. Is Barnes a part-owner of the horse?

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So what is the connection between Ashley Barnes and Hillsin? The article doesn't say. Is Barnes a part-owner of the horse?

Here’s the race, jockey only made any effort in the last few yards. Should have won easily. 

43 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I really do not know, he has been a registered racehorse owner in the past so the assumption I have made from all of this is that he had some involvement with the horse otherwise he would not be under investigation..

As Midlands Canary has posted the race looks like it was thrown, the jockey that day has previous and had been banned earlier in the season for "not trying". 

I am not making any judgement on Ashley Barnes or his father in law, if they were part owners of the horse it does not necessarily follow that they knew anything or had anything to do with instructing the jockey, we will have to wait to see what the results of the BHA investigation are..........

The horse was backed into to 2/1 on the morning of the race (from double figures) then drifted out to 11/1 before the off. This is on the exchanges so some parties were cleaning up laying the horse during the day. 

15 minutes ago, Hector Brockelbank said:

He’s been indefinitely disqualified for failing to co-operate with the investigation. 

Which in itself makes it sound a bit dodgy. If you had nothing to hide or no guilt, why not co-operate?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Which in itself makes it sound a bit dodgy. If you had nothing to hide or no guilt, why not co-operate?

They were wanting access to his phone records based on the racing post article.  I don't know what that consists of and how intrusive it is, but that could be a factor for someone in Barnes' position? 

i.e. Did they want access to his phone and private texts, or simply a log of who he had called over a certain period?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Here’s the race, jockey only made any effort in the last few yards. Should have won easily. 

Hands n heels!

Held up in rear, headway 6th, in touch with leaders after 4 out, going easily but tenderly handled home straight, lost ground 3 out, stayed on and went third run-in, eyecatcher (jockey said, regarding running and riding, his instructions were to drop gelding out early, keep a good hold of gelding's head and take his time, before mounting a late challenge, adding that gelding settled well and found a nice jumping rhythm, and he had been able to make ground easily mid-race when the pace steadied up; however he made a respiratory noise towards the end of back straight, which continued on several more occasions throughout race, and had also hung badly right-handed, both facts he had reported at scales and which restricted his ability to be more vigorous in the home straight; trainer confirmed instructions and that gelding had been ridden in accordance with them; however whilst acknowledging gelding had hung-right handed, he did express concerns over the manner in which gelding was ridden specifically from jumping last hurdle; trainer also reiterated that he had emphasised to rider that he needed to be held together for as long as possible based on his analysis of gelding's run at Exeter two starts back, where he didn't get home for a different yard; 40-day ban: failed to achieve best possible placing; matter referred to BHA) (op 7/1 tchd 10/1)

The owner is an F A Clegg - he bought the horse a month or so before the race and at the same time moved it to a different Trainer.

It has been moved again since that race.

The horse has run 18 times, never won but has been placed third 3 times including the above..

As a consequence, it's Handicap mark had dropped 14lb (i.e. a stone) prior to that race.

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

They were wanting access to his phone records based on the racing post article.  I don't know what that consists of and how intrusive it is, but that could be a factor for someone in Barnes' position? 

i.e. Did they want access to his phone and private texts, or simply a log of who he had called over a certain period?

Owners, trainers and jockeys are obliged to give us (The BHA) their phone records.

Since Barnes isn't/wasn't an 'official owner' he doesn't have to.

A full download is usually completed.

Posted (edited)

The jockey was also banned, for refusing to hand over his phone records.

As a massive racing fan, the whole thing stinks and I hope Ashley isn't part of any of it. But there's no smoke without fire

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip

Posted (edited)

Horse racing has loads of fixing issues it always has my dad once gave me a tip it dropped from 40-1 to near evens won by about 20 lengths

and the best part my Aunti got banned from all the bookies in town for collection 50k

sadly I ignored it but one of my co workers who I mentioned it to got in at 12-1 when he spotted the price plumeting

Edited by Paul101

11 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Owners, trainers and jockeys are obliged to give us (The BHA) their phone records.

Since Barnes isn't/wasn't an 'official owner' he doesn't have to.

A full download is usually completed.

How do you know he wasn’t an official owner, the reports suggest otherwise