Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Giannoulis out for "a few weeks"

Posted (edited)

Time for McCallum to step up.. Good thing we (Cursing it by saying this I know) have some seemingly easier fixtures and an international break coming up rght?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

To be honest I'm glad this means we will have to give McCallum a decent spell in the team.

I think he has more potential than DImi and of the two he's the one I'd be offering a new contract to (that is unless he is rubbish in the next few games!!)

• Like 9

While it’s a blow, of all the areas to get an injury at least it’s the one where we have genuine competition available to step up.

• Like 3

Two very different left backs in Dimi and Sam McCallum.  Personally the heading ability and attacking intent of Sam probably suits our current style of play better, especially when we're on the front foot.

• Like 2

Plus McCallum has that long throw (although Nunez does too, it’s like buses!).

We know that Lungi, Kenny and possible even Fisher at a stretch could cover LB, so as long as McCallum stays fit this shouldn't derail us too much. Hamstrings are awkward sods – it's even possible that Dimi could have played his last game for us.

So no mention of Gibson on that injury update then? I was worried he might have picked up something after he went off at half time against Rotherham. Guess that was a precaution then....

Posted (edited)

I think McCallum has already stepped up compared to his performances last season - he is a far better player now. 

I always prefer him in the team over Dimi.

Edited by NWC
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NWC said:

I think McCallum has already stepped up compared to his performances last season - he is a far better player now. 

I always prefer him in the team over Dimi.

Did feel in pre season and earlier in the season that McCallum was a little rusty but he does seem to have shaken off, and he does feel like a rather different kind of player than Giannoulis

• Like 1

Given there is an international break coming up, Dimi might not actually miss that many games.

Shame that Montoia is injured - another chance to look at another prospect, even in a short cameo, missed. 

As for Gibson, in comments made after Saturday, Wagner said he has had a tight calf for some time, not actually impeding him but niggling. So, yes, precautionary on Saturday and should with a lot of physio be okay for Stoke.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did feel in pre season and earlier in the season that McCallum was a little rusty but he does seem to have shaken off, and he does feel like a rather different kind of player than Giannoulis

Definitely offers more aerial presence; one of Farke's greatest weaknesses was the small and lightweight fullbacks (Aarons and Lewis) constantly being outmuscled and outjumped with balls to the back post. Stacey and McCallum offer us a lot more strength in that regard.

McCallum needs to track back more quickly when he gets caught upfield – he was fine against Rotherham who offered practically zero threat, but that remains the greatest weakness in his game to my eyes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Given there is an international break coming up, Dimi might not actually miss that many games.

Shame that Montoia is injured - another chance to look at another prospect, even in a short cameo, missed. 

As for Gibson, in comments made after Saturday, Wagner said he has had a tight calf for some time, not actually impeding him but niggling. So, yes, precautionary on Saturday and should with a lot of physio be okay for Stoke.

Damn, I didn't realise Montóia was injured. Can't find anything about it online; do you know what the injury is, and when he's expected back?

No. Various short term injuries have now become the norm. Football authorities are well aware, hence the move to five subs. How much is down to intense training is probably not known, but with Wagner boasting about 'double sessions' then there is a thought that some responsibility lies there.

What impact this will have on players 40 years hence is not known. Not the legacy of dementia I should not think, but the stress put on joints and muscles cannot be of any long term benefit

Injuries are not good news, although McCallum has massively improved from what he was like at the start of the season. However, I think it’s highly likely that Giannoulis will be departing this summer and so unless the club have plans to offer him a new contract, I would like McCallum to get priority over him in the starting XI

Unlikely to be available for the Ipswich game then?

Sam is a more than able replacement plus Sorensen has played there so not the end of the world, but it does seem one thing after an another with our squad.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Damn, I didn't realise Montóia was injured. Can't find anything about it online; do you know what the injury is, and when he's expected back?

No, all i know is just the comment in that article.

• Like 1

I like both our left backs, with the caveat that they both get outmaneouvred by the opposition at times in defence; more so than Stacey, I feel.

I particularly like the way Sam is very brave in aerial duels, but am concerned he is going to come a cropper before too long, which (Sod's law) will happen sooner rather than later,  given our paucity of back-up in that position (without reshuffling our other defensive / midfield positions).

If we have seen the last of Dimi, it'll be a shame that he still hasn't managed to find the net, bless him.

There is a concern that both LBs are out of contract this summer so could leave on a free if they choose. I expect Gino to leave this summer.  The suggested cover Lungi is also out of contract this summer. There is no thought/indication that either want away from CR, but...

I understand the club might have wanted to see how well Lungi fared after his injury, but I wonder what is the delay with them both.

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Definitely offers more aerial presence; one of Farke's greatest weaknesses was the small and lightweight fullbacks (Aarons and Lewis) constantly being outmuscled and outjumped with balls to the back post. Stacey and McCallum offer us a lot more strength in that regard.

McCallum needs to track back more quickly when he gets caught upfield – he was fine against Rotherham who offered practically zero threat, but that remains the greatest weakness in his game to my eyes.

He loves a jog back. 

7 hours ago, RobJames said:

There is a concern that both LBs are out of contract this summer so could leave on a free if they choose. I expect Gino to leave this summer.  The suggested cover Lungi is also out of contract this summer. There is no thought/indication that either want away from CR, but...

I understand the club might have wanted to see how well Lungi fared after his injury, but I wonder what is the delay with them both.

We do have the option to extend Sorensen's contract by a year, and I'd expect us to exercise that option.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

We know that Lungi, Kenny and possible even Fisher at a stretch could cover LB, so as long as McCallum stays fit this shouldn't derail us too much. Hamstrings are awkward sods – it's even possible that Dimi could have played his last game for us.

I was thinking the same about his last game.  Glad he got to the century of appearances.

Giannoulis much the better left back, McCallum had maybe two decent games for us but he has an opportunity now 

What we really need is a left-sided Stacey, he has been excellent recently. I would go so far as to say quite possibly on the POTS shortlist.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What we really need is a left-sided Stacey, he has been excellent recently. I would go so far as to say quite possibly on the POTS shortlist.

Yes Stacey has had a good season overall and a vital part of out playoff push. 

• Like 1

I like both of them and they both have different strengths and weaknesses but I’m not unhappy about the prospect of McCallum having a run in the side. I think he gives us added threat with his crossing and aerial ability. I also think there is potentially a really good player there so it will be a shame if we let him go in the summer as I think a bit of decent coaching could see him worth quite a lot of money. we all know his weakness is getting caught up field and being too slow to get back. That can be worked on.

I like Dimi also but he has been making quite a few mistakes which have cost us in at least a couple of recent games. Blackburn’s equaliser ultimately flowed from him messing about with the ball and giving it away and I’m not sure quite what he was attempting with Boro’s first goal. 

Just now, jaberry2 said:

Yes Stacey has had a good season overall and a vital part of out playoff push. 

Stacey is indeed much improved although he had such a dip in the middle of the season I can’t see him as a POTS candidate. He was really, really poor during that spell. Another one who is better attacking than defending which seems to be the way with modern full backs. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Stacey is indeed much improved although he had such a dip in the middle of the season I can’t see him as a POTS candidate. He was really, really poor during that spell. Another one who is better attacking than defending which seems to be the way with modern full backs. 

Most players fall in that category including Sara who suffered a dip in form.

Edited by jaberry2