cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Smoggies V Canaries*

When we play against 10 men we struggle but when we go down to 10 we collapse- mentally fragile and poor ability to change tactics at short notice 

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Like I thought originally, a foul BY Howson, his reaction though was disgusting.  I'll never applaud him again at Carrow Rd.

2 minutes ago, mccanary said:

You see challenges like that every week with no action . More concerned that Howsons studs up challenge went unpunished in the first place. Picture further up the thread. 

It wasn't a 'challenge'. He wasn't competing for the ball. I'm not saying I think it's a nailed-on red, but I can understand why it's been given. As with the WBA red card, he's given the referee a decision to make, so has to take some of the blame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Just to add we'd all be screaming for a red if the roles were reversed so I'm not having the idea we've been stitched up here.

Would we? Never saw anything in it.

Although the reaction of our players tells me that they perhaps suspected there was more to it. Sainz had also already been spoken to about a bit of afters too. 

However it’s viewed and from whichever side, it is VERY VERY soft and maybe reputation has cost him? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Howsons studs are up and catches the bwck of Borjas knee. Borja keeps his foot up because hes naturally in pain from Howsons challenge.

The fact the ref only sees Howson limping and pointing to his leg is appalling. Hes been totally duped.

That aside its embarrassing how once again norwich completely implode.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

If I hadn't seen it and you told me there was a controversial red card just after this...

To be fair, I hadn't seen that image. I did think in real time that Howson had fouled Sainz, but that could indeed have been a red card for Howson's initial challenge. Makes it even more galling that Sainz reacted to it and got himself sent off.

Both 'boro commentators (who were very fair throughout) agreed that it wasn't anything like a red card, even after several replay viewings.

But our capitulation was shocking. I firmly believe it's to do with the way Gibson & Hanley play - it's great when they can slowly walk the ball out from defence, but they are sooo pooonderous that they get turned too easily by any sort of overload from midfield. I'm not saying they're solely to blame, but they're a large factor.

One tiny, tiny plus from tonight was Sid's performance, notably his link up play & eye for a pass was encouraging. There may yet be a useful player in there after all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, I hadn't seen that image. I did think in real time that Howson had fouled Sainz, but that could indeed have been a red card for Howson's initial challenge. Makes it even more galling that Sainz reacted to it and got himself sent off.

Howson knows he’s put in a bad challenge and probably fears a red coming. His reaction is self preservation and a distraction that the ref has fallen for 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

If we did get into the play offs, the real concern must be that we would get well and truly murdered! 

The biggest concern if we get into the play offs is if that’s enough to keep Wagner in the job. 

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

Howsons studs are up and catches the bwck of Borjas knee. Borja keeps his foot up because hes naturally in pain from Howsons challenge.

The fact the ref only sees Howson limping and pointing to his leg is appalling. Hes been totally duped.

That aside its embarrassing how once again norwich completely implode.

Hang on, we've managed 21 points from our last 10 matches before tonight, with our only defeat in that time being 1-0 away to Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

When we play against 10 men we struggle but when we go down to 10 we collapse- mentally fragile and poor ability to change tactics at short notice 

Thats not quite true, we turned the Coventry game a few weeks ago our way after they went down to 10

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Hang on, we've managed 21 points from our last 10 matches before tonight, with our only defeat in that time being 1-0 away to Leeds.

True, but it's also the third away game in a row where we've led but not won. It was pretty pathetic stuff from us after the red.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think the ref should only be dropping a red card if he's certain of intentful violent conduct. If Sainz had been given a yellow and a warning nobody would have looked back at this once. 

If we're talking galling, it is that even if overturned, we can't turn back the clocks to totally dominating a crap Boro side. Those 3 points go begging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Howson knows he’s put in a bad challenge and probably fears a red coming. His reaction is self preservation and a distraction that the ref has fallen for 

Yep, looking at all the angles I've seen so far, that's about right. Still dumb of Sainz to react how he did, but Howson has totally played us there.

• Like 1

And now qpr 2 2 Wba would have even been 2 pts off 5th 🙄🤔 another shi te away result. 

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

If I hadn't seen it and you told me there was a controversial red card just after this...

I agree, when I first saw challenge from howson I thought it was a foul from behind and the picture confirms that with clear studs in the back of the leg. Sainz then held his leg in the place where the howson studs went in and swiveled holding that leg up and made contact with howson - both players should of got a yellow 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Howson getting up, seeing he'd fouled Borja then decided to act all injured was a disgrace.

Yes Borja has previous, but any of you slating him tonight need to go forth and wobble thoust heads 🤣

Edited by Ken Hairy

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep, looking at all the angles I've seen so far, that's about right. Still dumb of Sainz to react how he did, but Howson has totally played us there.

Streetwise experienced pro with 715 career games under his belt, more than 400 of them in the Championship, against a player who needs to wise up quickly. 

It was obvious that Ayling was trying to provoke Sainz into a reaction long before this. Teams are going into games knowing they can get Sainz carded early. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

True, but it's also the third away game in a row where we've led but not won. It was pretty pathetic stuff from us after the red.

Yes, those are facts. But to say 'once again Norwich completely implode' isn't really indicative of how we've been playing recently. I was at QPR and I was very vocal about how I thought (and still think) Wagner's changes cost us two points that day. We're definitely a lot better than we were before Christmas, though, and at least (before tonight) we were picking up points away while winning all our home games (against promotion rivals, too). The wording just felt a bit excessive compared to the reality, for me.

• Like 1

In fact going back to the commentator at the time of the incident on the red button stream, he actually thought it was Howson who was sent off, I was confused why the Boro fans were cheering at first. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Yes, but I think he’s blown his chance of the Hall of Fame. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Streetwise experienced pro with 715 career games under his belt, more than 400 of them in the Championship, against a player who needs to wise up quickly. 

It was obvious that Ayling was trying to provoke Sainz into a reaction long before this. Teams are going into games knowing they can get Sainz carded early. 

He will always be targeted now because he has that weakness. A more clever player would have made sure Howson had got at least a Yellow but no there had to be that little bit of drama and reaction.

He's a talented player but arguably has cost us 6 points with these 2 Reds and weakened an already threadbare squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

😂😂😂😂

@SouthwellC, can we get rid of this moron now? Blatant binner who only comes on here to take the p*ss.

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The biggest problem is now we have no wingers other than Fash.

Playoff hopes buried all thanks to a dodgy ref and Howson being a cheeky fella.

Fash *winger* 😂 in the faintest way ever. 

Just had a look on the Boro FB page, pretty much to a man/woman they've all said it wasn't a red card.

100% getting overturned.