Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

Chelsea V Leeds

Whilst nothing to do with us of course, it does look an interesting game on paper - just to see how DF plays it out and how strong Leeds are should they go up (with a nod to Blackburn last night who gave it a go)

I remember the 1970 match between these two. It got a bit tasty - probably 10 red cards in today's terms 

For those wanting to revisit the 'good old days' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

Where's T Hockey when we need him?

I have a hunch that Daniel will play kids as he will have one eye on the league and like it or not the Scum are right on their heels.

You would expect a bit of a reaction from Chelsea after their choke in extra time against Liverpool Reserves.

Shame it isn't being televised as it seems more interesting than the other ties.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You would expect a bit of a reaction from Chelsea after their choke in extra time against Liverpool Reserves.

Shame it isn't being televised as it seems more interesting than the other ties.

On ITV4

• Thanks 1

I watched those clips the other day - there’d have been card after card these days, but I think I’m right that there was only one booking that entire game?!  Tbh I think they both gave as good as they got and there’s something to be said for letting them get on with it!

2 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

Whilst nothing to do with us of course, it does look an interesting game on paper - just to see how DF plays it out and how strong Leeds are should they go up (with a nod to Blackburn last night who gave it a go)

I remember the 1970 match between these two. It got a bit tasty - probably 10 red cards in today's terms 

For those wanting to revisit the 'good old days' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

Where's T Hockey when we need him?

I might be wrong but I think the replay at Old Trafford still holds the record for a TV audience for a domestic game. 

I moved to Norfolk from West London when I was 4 so we were supporting Chelsea. Around that time we went to Ipswich to see Chelsea win and due to a bit of a mess up they had to play David Webb in goal. He was the centre half who scored the winner in the Cup Final replay. He was superb in goal but in the reverse fixture later in the year they played him at centre forward and he scored 2 goals. 

There have been several players who have played centre half and centre forward but he's still the only one who has started a game in goal as well. 

14 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I watched those clips the other day - there’d have been card after card these days, but I think I’m right that there was only one booking that entire game?!  Tbh I think they both gave as good as they got and there’s something to be said for letting them get on with it!

Yeah there was some text which popped up saying there was just one yellow card. Absoltely a world away from todays modern game.

54 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It was for a bit of retaliation as well, bremner getting a flying kick to the face didn't even warrant a free kick!

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Cards ? ..........it was a miracle that each side finished with 11 on the pitch instead of half a dozen in the local A & E 😲

Slightly off topic, but 1970's Chelsea always brings back the vision of George Best riding an absolute reducer from Ron Harris and goes on to score... Dunno what VAR would've made of that nowadays 

It's my earliest memory of watching football on the TV, probably only because it was rare at 6 to be allowed to stay up beyond 8pm.

My favourite bit was when Jack Charlton got hacked from behind (a certain booking, if not a sending off nowadays) heading towards his own goal; he ignored the impact of the challenge but berated strongly a team mate for not finding space to offer him an out ball!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

The match has since been 're-refereed'.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

Six reds for David Elleray, eleven (!!) for Michael Oliver.

This is excellent!

'As renowned Observer journalist Hugh McIlvanney wrote afterwards: “At times, it appeared that Mr Jennings [the original ref] would give a free-kick only on production of a death certificate."'

Edited by Robert N. LiM
clarity
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Farke will play a much weakened side with an eye on Saturday lunchtime.

I'm sure Chelsea will be much weakened after tonight's game 

2 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

The match has since been 're-refereed'.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

Six reds for David Elleray, eleven (!!) for Michael Oliver.

A classic match and all modern day football fans should watch, just to understand what completely soft/cheating players we have today.

Having spent some time with that Chelsea team, it struck me how mild and polite they were off field. John Dempsey is a true gentleman and worked with handicapped children right into old age.

I was chatting about the European Final against Real Madrid which Chelsea won 2.0 with Osgood scoring but couldn’t remember who got the other, it was John but he slow to say!

Respect to all of them boys.

They just said it's the first time Leeds and Chelsea have met in the FA Cup since that final in 1970.   That's mad.

Edited by Google Bot

56 minutes ago, Sheva said:

A classic match and all modern day football fans should watch, just to understand what completely soft/cheating players we have today.

Having spent some time with that Chelsea team, it struck me how mild and polite they were off field. John Dempsey is a true gentleman and worked with handicapped children right into old age.

I was chatting about the European Final against Real Madrid which Chelsea won 2.0 with Osgood scoring but couldn’t remember who got the other, it was John but he slow to say!

Respect to all of them boys.

Classic=filthy, foul littered scrum. The reason to watch it today is to be thankful that in the modern era skilful players have a chance to play, rather than being hacked down by thugs.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It's my earliest memory of watching football on the TV, probably only because it was rare at 6 to be allowed to stay up beyond 8pm.

My favourite bit was when Jack Charlton got hacked from behind (a certain booking, if not a sending off nowadays) heading towards his own goal; he ignored the impact of the challenge but berated strongly a team mate for not finding space to offer him an out ball!

I’ve mentioned before that the final and the replay were the first games I remember seeing on TV. I didn’t recall that either match was particularly dirty, but then I was also 6 at the time!

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

1 up, blimey.

How come we were so ****e turning up a Stamford Bridge under Farke?

I mean Chelsea now are a completely different proposition for starters 

25 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Classic=filthy, foul littered scrum. The reason to watch it today is to be thankful that in the modern era skilful players have a chance to play, rather than being hacked down by thugs.

Binner!

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean Chelsea now are a completely different proposition for starters 

Feel better now they've scored the second, must admit! 

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Chelsea playing some lovely stuff to be fair.

Except Chalobah

54 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Modern players get more protection but players from 50 years ago didn’t roll around feigning injury at the slightest touch.