cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Rovers V Canaries*

After QPR, this felt like another away game which we were winning and seemed comfortable but failed to see out. 

The Nunez injury is very worrying. I thought he was clearly MOM before the injury, and not just because of the goal.

Twelve games to go, but it feels to me like we just lack that killer instinct to make the most of our superior skill (compared to most of this league barring this year's parachutes).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Get the feeling that if we don't finish in the top six it'll be partly down to our awful away form

I get the feeling we are  not going to  get promoted 

Edited by baldy09

Trouble is if Gibbo plays then Hanley has to be alongside him as Wagner won't play two left footers. 

It seems that if Barnes can't start then we can't play Kenny at CB. I don't why we are so thin on the ground with 'no. 10' type options.

It was an away point yeah and we're still in the mix and Hull have some tricky games coming up, but after last week that feels such a massive step back.

18 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Our season was rubbish without sarge and good with him- that doesn’t speak well of Wagner. Basically his deficiencies get covered up when a really good player is in the team. Take sarge out and the losing streaks and whacky subs say it all 

Not just Sargent is it? We've had Rowe, Sainz, Hanley, Duffy, Barnes, Giannoulis, Nunes(and likely again) and Onel all out injured too at different times, several together.

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

"Feeling". Can't you ever be more assertive with your opinions? 😆

Especially one so blatantly obviously correct lol, I’m not sure that counts as an opinion, more an observation 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed - all changes now made so NO sign of SVH! Totally bizarre. Eedah would have made far more more minutes had he stayed. Can only suggest that SVH has not impressed  so what does that say of the scouting when Napper said ............'weve been after him for ages'!!

Whisper it, maybe Idah is a better option than SVH

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not just Sargent is it? We've had Rowe, Sainz, Hanley, Duffy, Barnes, Giannoulis, Nunes(and likely again) and Onel all out injured too at different times, several together.

It’s better to ignore the numpties, they will just pop up and talk crap every now and then - it’s what they do.

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The difference being Idah has been given countless games and has failed to deliver. SVH hasnt even been given a fee minutes so its a non comparison

If we play SVH and he doesnt look great thrn fair say. We all.said Sarg looed awful.1st season and hes improved.

Its hard to tell about Idahs improvement when hes in season 5 of us saying we hope.this year its his season, and it wont be this year either.

Svh neds to be given a chance

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Quite probably. If so then appalling judgement by Wagner and his immediate boss.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

After QPR, this felt like another away game which we were winning and seemed comfortable but failed to see out. 

The Nunez injury is very worrying. I thought he was clearly MOM before the injury, and not just because of the goal.

Twelve games to go, but it feels to me like we just lack that killer instinct to make the most of our superior skill (compared to most of this league barring this year's parachutes).

Perhaps it's not a 'killer instinct', but more to do with tactics? When (if) we get in front in a game we then seem to 'sit back' to protect our lead with the intention of counter attacking (which we often don't). Why we do do not persevere with the approach that gets that lead, I don't know. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Both are equally as effective when sat on the bench. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Svh neds to be given a chance

Based on what exactly? He is the new Sorenson, the fewer minutes he gets the greater the clamour that he plays. He was clearly bought as 3rd choice and cover, he is not our player and we are on a good run without him.

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s better to ignore the numpties, they will just pop up and talk crap every now and then - it’s what they do.

Lovely sense of superiority! As my mum used to say if you can’t say something nice about people best not say anything!

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yes but I wasn’t making a point about injuries- all clubs have those. My point is that without the player who is too good for this league (a bit like Hucks in that season) we have been relegation form with players who should be much better than that. Bottom line - I think the manager is our weakest link. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Indy said:

Lovely sense of superiority! As my mum used to say if you can’t say something nice about people best not say anything!

True is true, though. Numpties always pop up with crap after we don’t win.

38 minutes ago, A K Narey said:

Disappointing result. Why can we not beat poor sides away from home?

just not good enough. pity

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Both are equally as effective when sat on the bench. 

Idah has 9 goals this season (largely from the bench). SVH has none.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Yeh, I think the Idah move was more a requirement to take the pressure he was under from our fans who didn’t really appreciate his performances! Some absolutely love Barnes yet rip the ****e out of Idah! Can’t blame the lad for wanting to get out on loan to get game time and a break. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

True is true, though. Numpties always pop up with crap after we don’t win.

Arguably they do it when we win as well. A few going well over the top after last week's win, demanding an apology to Wagner etc.

Bottom line is that we need to learn how to keep clean sheets away from home - we always seem to have a concession in us, often of our own making.

Today was a perfect case in point. Blackburn were clearly better after the break - you have to expect that - but created relatively little; we gave the corner away needlessly and then didn’t defend it well. 

42 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Perhaps when SvH has had the same amount of opportunities as Idah had then we will have a better comparison. It was to be expected that when SvH came in he was in a position to play when required, otherwise what was the point. Whatever, SvH was brought in as Idah’s replacement yet is not brought on in games when we need a goal. 

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 1

We have a huge opportunity to take a large haul from the next 5 games to get ourselves cemented into the playoff positions before we play Leicester and Ipswich. I still think we will have a major say in things 

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Arguably they do it when we win as well. A few going well over the top after last week's win, demanding an apology to Wagner etc.

Agree.

A lote are guilty of emotional reaction, some are guilty of a "whatever will be, will be, football is cyclical" response.

Less emotionally, today we were dominating this match, but after taking the lead, someone told our team to take our foot off the gas, allowing Blackburn back into the game. We only really looked like regaining any control in the last five-minute. Whatever way you look at it, Wagner ultimately was responsible for that change. That it took nearly an hour play to address that change in momentum is poor management. If that was the first it had happened, fair enough, everyone has a bad day. But objectively that is the fifth or sixth time this season it has happened.

After last week I hoped we'd turned the corner, but we haven't. We're still underperforming in my opinion because of Wagner's decision making.

Is there going to be change in approach this season? Time is running out but Wagner is said to be a lucky manager.

🤞

• Like 4

SVH should have come on for sarge today sarge offered nothing last 20 was crying out for fresh legs up top .. .. 2 points totally thrown away  cabt fault the effort but  .. same old Norwich don’t take big chances and concede terrible goals .a needless corner and free header criminal .. . also didn’t the get the Sainz sub at all .. comparisons with Idah pointless until Dutch lad given some chances and mins on pitch !

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

In fairness, I was challenging people saying things that weren't very nice (or accurate)... so in theory your post should also address them.

I think Dimi was at fault today. Bad subs as well didn't help us. Nunez injury is worrying as him out leaves as lacking in the middle again and exposing our lack of depth once again

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

In fairness, I was challenging people saying things that weren't very nice (or accurate)... so in theory your post should also address them.

Absolutely Chicken….👍

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes but I wasn’t making a point about injuries- all clubs have those. My point is that without the player who is too good for this league (a bit like Hucks in that season) we have been relegation form with players who should be much better than that. Bottom line - I think the manager is our weakest link. 

You bloomin' great fibber! 😂

Honestly, sometimes you come out with some old tripe. You literally said:

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Our season was rubbish without sarge and good with him- that doesn’t speak well of Wagner. Basically his deficiencies get covered up when a really good player is in the team. Take sarge out and the losing streaks and whacky subs say it all 

In other words, when Sagent was INJURED. You were talking about injuries. And Sargent isn't the same game changer that Huckerby was, yes, we look better with him, but with Huckerby, he could spin a game on it's head on his own, down to individual quality. I absolutely rate Sargent and have done since he arrived despite people slagging him off left right and centre, but to say he is like Huckerby is... too much.

Equally, you were talking about injuries. In particular to Sargent. However, as you brought up players missing/injured it means that the same comparison can be brought in for other players. We missed Barnes at around the same time, his influence on the pitch was missed. Not only that, games where we say, drop points at the moment, could have been very different with Rowe in the side. Imagine Rowe starting instead of Fass, or coming on instead of Onel for Sainz - different game. Pace, ability to score - another threat, or as Parma would say, weapon.

Yes, all clubs have injuries - but that's an absolutely meaningless comment. Most clubs at this level have two to three players they absolutely rely upon to get the results they need to achieve their season goals/objectives. If you are wanting to hit top six, a side probably has another two or three names to add.

We started off like a rocket this season, capturing some of the better form seen at the start of Wagner's time with us. Then we lost Sargent and Barnes in relatively quick succession. Injury to Duffy saw McClean drafted into CB, which he adapted to really well - luckily. It's not been an easy season for injuries.

Look at it another way. Under Farke, we rarely faced injuries to key attacking players. Pukki, Buendia, Cantwell, Stiepermann prior to getting Covid, Rhodes etc all were relatively injury free. In the first promotion season, Godfrey and Zimmermann were injury free to, Hanley came back from injury and couldn't get on the pitch owing to the strength of that partnership. Following season injuries to Klose, Hanley and Zimmermann left us with Godfrey and Tettey/Amadou as a CB pairing.

It's always relevant. When Sorensen has been out injured, for example, you don't see people clamouring for his return, or bemoaning an unfortunate injury. Because he isn't a first team regular or one of the first names on the team sheet. 

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

What a ridiculous remark. How many minutes has Idah had compared to Svh.

Ffs even Barnes hasnt got 9 goals and has played more than Idah which makes your comment equally ridiculous