cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Rovers V Canaries*

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

What a ridiculous remark. How many minutes has Idah had compared to Svh.

Ffs even Barnes hasnt got 9 goals and has played more than Idah which makes your comment equally ridiculous 

And why doesn't SVH get minutes, aver asked yourself that?

Perhaps he just isn't as good as fantasy has it?

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

As i said earlier you cant judge a player who hasnt played. If svh plays and isnt great then absolutely fair comment.

As ive always said svh has been on the bench every game.since signing so Wagner must like.him enough to put him in the squad.

Theres also something.about giving a player time.to.settle into a new club/country

Idah isnt ripping it up in scotland which is arguably a poorer league than efl, but has proven to be an effective sub this season if still failing to deliver when.started.

Until svh gets some minutes you cant sensibly judge him. Could be a flop, could.turn out great. Time will tell

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Probably because Wagner seems very cautious about introducing new players.  Took ages for sainz to get a game for example.

7 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

As ive always said svh has been on the bench every game.

Theres also something.about giving a player time.to.settle into a new club/country

So in your own words he is not ready

9 minutes ago, Haus said:

Probably because Wagner seems very cautious about introducing new players.  Took ages for sainz to get a game for example.

I was referring to Bologna, happy to bin him off - not happy to play him

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Agree.

A lote are guilty of emotional reaction, some are guilty of a "whatever will be, will be, football is cyclical" response.

Less emotionally, today we were dominating this match, but after taking the lead, someone told our team to take our foot off the gas, allowing Blackburn back into the game. We only really looked like regaining any control in the last five-minute. Whatever way you look at it, Wagner ultimately was responsible for that change. That it took nearly an hour play to address that change in momentum is poor management. If that was the first it had happened, fair enough, everyone has a bad day. But objectively that is the fifth or sixth time this season it has happened.

After last week I hoped we'd turned the corner, but we haven't. We're still underperforming in my opinion because of Wagner's decision making.

Is there going to be change in approach this season? Time is running out but Wagner is said to be a lucky manager.

🤞

I'm sorry, but this is fiction. We very nearly scored a second only a couple of minutes after taking the lead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sorry, but this is fiction. We very nearly scored a second only a couple of minutes after taking the lead.

Not only that it is also a fairly well known footballing philosophy that you are at your most vulnerable just after you have scored a goal, because players naturally will psychologically take their foot off a little, their heads still be a little bit in celebrating the goal etc. And the opposition get a kick off which means they get a chance to have the ball, which they may not have done for much of the previous passages of play.

Plus, it goes back to that three phases of play coaching manual. You cannot expect to just simply dominate teams for 90mins... this isn't a poor quality league, it's not the Scottish premier league where you have 2-3 teams of championship and above quality and then the rest of League one or two. You will have to accept opposition teams will have the ball for passages and the quality is then about when we don't have the ball (one of the three phases of play).

I am perhaps guilty of thinking that football is a bit cyclical, though I am cynical of the powers that be in football. Take how long it is taking to investigate and punish Man City for example... it's as dodgy as hell. Ringfencing the big clubs to rake in cash from TV money etc is another one. Unless something big happens in English football, folks will have to accept that this is how things are now, and has been for 20+ years. That it is requiring more and more money, or debt, to genuinely compete just to get up and stay in the top tier of football. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are still the minority, and more or less every club in the championship hopes to follow in those footsteps. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigFish said:

So in your own words he is not ready

No i never said that. Imo he should be given an opportunity. If Wagner didnt think he was ready he wouldnt be on the bench, but as someone else has said Wagner seems overly cautious to bring in new players.

He didnt do great at Bologna, but then Pukki didn't do great at Celtic.

Lets judge him once he's played some games

29 minutes ago, Haus said:

Sainz was injured and at the time we were in that run of games where we were having to dig deep and get scrappy for points. We were without Barnes and Sargent I seem to recall, and Rowe was scoring the goals that kept our heads above water so to speak. You can forgive him for wanting to bring a new player to English football, into it gently, rather than into the thick of it.

Farke was actually very similar. Onel and Leitner were brought in a January transfer window and used relatively sparingly that season comparative to the next. A pre-season certainly helps, but it's clever management. You don't want to put too much pressure on players coming back from injury, especially if you know, and more importantly, they know, that they can be game changers with goals and assists.

2 hours ago, baldy09 said:

I get the feeling we are  not going to  get promoted 

We never were. And really,we don't want to at this moment in time. Would cause more harm than good in reality, without massive investment,and we are not told what is incoming in that respect.

• Haha 1

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

We never were. And really,we don't want to at this moment in time. Would cause more harm than good in reality, without massive investment,and we are not told what is incoming in that respect.

Sorry but we should always want to get promotion. It doesn't do more harm than good. Even now, we have a squad essentially assembled on either having been in the premier league or players believing we are a team capable of going up.

Without that we go back to having players like Julien Brellier... shudder.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

No i never said that. Imo he should be given an opportunity. If Wagner didnt think he was ready he wouldnt be on the bench, but as someone else has said Wagner seems overly cautious to bring in new players.

He didnt do great at Bologna, but then Pukki didn't do great at Celtic.

Lets judge him once he's played some games

We have twelve games left, you happy to leave out Sarge or Barnes just so we can "judge him". Incredible.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

As i said earlier you cant judge a player who hasnt played. If svh plays and isnt great then absolutely fair comment.

As ive always said svh has been on the bench every game.since signing so Wagner must like.him enough to put him in the squad.

Idah isnt ripping it up in scotland which is arguably a poorer league than efl, but has proven to be an effective sub this season if still failing to deliver when.started.

Until svh gets some minutes you cant sensibly judge him. Could be a flop, could.turn out great. Time will tell

With an optional fee in place, I wonder if we're using this as a 6 month trial and Wagner will be looking at his personality etc off the pitch as much if not more than on it? I suspect we'll see him get more game time in the coming weeks.

Can everyone just recognise that those subs today is what make people just feel sort of “ugh” about Wagner.

Over the years I've found I can tell how well we're going to do within the first five minutes. It's like there are 2 NCFCs - the Jekyll & Hyde of  the footballing world, only it's Mr. Hyde we want to see.

Today it was Dr. Jekyll.  No energy. Lethargic. Didn't look up for it at all. I wonder why it is? What happens to the collective mentality that turns an excellent footballing side into a bunch of nervous, exhausted wrecks?? It's really puzzling. And extremely frustrating.

What doesn't help is that Rovers are the worst sort of side for us to face, they're simply too physical for us, we get bullied off the ball far too easily. Players like Nunez, Sara & Sainz are technically excellent but need to learn how to cope with players like Blackburn's (assuming that's possible).

And I really think we have to do better than Hanley & Gibson at CB. Together they seem to slow everything down, we become ponderous, uninventive - & ultimately fragile. Kenny has been a revelation, he makes the team tick & dovetails in with the midfield so well. If we had a really good quality Pl standard CB alongside him we'd be sorted. At least at this level, & if we could abolish Dr. Jekyll & let Mr. Hyde's animal spirits have free reign ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BigFish said:

We have twelve games left, you happy to leave out Sarge or Barnes just so we can "judge him". Incredible.

I give up. No i never said that either. Im saying at least guve svh some minutes.

Thats not leaving out Sarg or Barnes.

Try reading what pwople put and try not making up new arguments each time

Are u saying svh doesnt deserve a chance or any minutes and that hes rubbish then?

Next thing youll say to me is "you happy weve only got 9 games left" as you seem to make gapless & false suggestions each response.

Im factually saying give svh some minutes (its factual Sarg is managing an ankle injury and uts factual Barnes is suffering fatigue) as and when they tire or need a rest, e.g. instead of Gibbs coming on for a winger. See he could replace them or someone else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Sorry but we should always want to get promotion. It doesn't do more harm than good. Even now, we have a squad essentially assembled on either having been in the premier league or players believing we are a team capable of going up.

Without that we go back to having players like Julien Brellier... shudder.

He was no David Střihavka! 

5 hours ago, chicken said:

Take how long it is taking to investigate and punish Man City for example... it's as dodgy as hell.

How long do you think it takes to thoroughly go through 115 charges ffs. It's not dodgy at all. They have one bullet at taking them down and want to make sure all the ducks are in order

Not for the first time an opposing manager read the game better than our own, and it showed after the half-time talk.

There always seems to be mitigating factors in many of his decisions, although and we wouldn't know the extent to which they are credible. However, if Barnes was "fatigued" but not sufficiently so to be omitted from the bench then why not begin with the Sarg/Barnes partnership from the word go in order to start off on the front foot with their defenders duly rattled for the game and then assess the latter's contribution as the game progresses. It is a starting ploy that clearly works for us and brings the best from Sargent.

There must be a reason why that potential match-winner and highly visible Saintz (who was having a good game, imo, and also in that of the opposing team's commentator on my stream.) He was surely more of a threat to Blackburn than the fairly anonymous Fassnacht, who also went on to miss our best chance of the game. I suppose the "chocolate teapot" is my current scapegoat, so I have to assume more balance, but he does seem to be a manager's favourite, the same way I thought young Springett was at times and if we are to assume that role of mid-table mediocrity (as Blackburn have) then players like Fassnacht fit the bill.

As I say, there must be mitigating factors because there always are with this limited manager.

All in all, an away point in the Chumps is always decent, but I was disappointed with it especially as we again failed to hold onto and make the most of a deserved lead and even more especially if we are to maintain serious hopes of a play-off place. Every point is a prisoner from now on. We do have lost ground to make up, after all, due to "mitigating factors."

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

How long do you think it takes to thoroughly go through 115 charges ffs. It's not dodgy at all. They have one bullet at taking them down and want to make sure all the ducks are in order

I've said this when my, Man Utd mates mainly, bang on about this. 

Simon Jordan is of the opinion that with appeals etc, this won't be resolved completely until the end of the decade.

What people forget when comparing City to Everton say, is Evertons was a lot more straight forward, I actually can't believe the nerve of Evertonians to be playing victim so much also City will have much much better lawyers etc dealing with it all.

Pep doesn't overly care about it, as he'll be long gone by time it's sorted one way or another.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not for the first time an opposing manager read the game better than our own, and it showed after the half-time talk.

There must be a reason why that potential match-winner and highly visible Saintz (who was having a good game, imo, and also in that of the opposing team's commentator on my stream.) He was surely more of a threat to Blackburn than the fairly anonymous Fassnacht, who also went on to miss our best chance of the game. I suppose the "chocolate teapot" is my current scapegoat, so I have to assume more balance

It's interesting how different people read the same game differently,  I for example thought Sainz was having a particularly quiet game, and wasn't surprised to see him taken off when he was.

27 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's interesting how different people read the same game differently,  I for example thought Sainz was having a particularly quiet game, and wasn't surprised to see him taken off when he was.

True.

It is one of the drawbacks from having to watch on screen.

It seemed to me that Fassnacht was hardly mentioned on commentary, yet Saintz seemed everywhere and was quite prominent, if not much so as the goal threat we know him to be.

I used to think Howson was anonymous for many games, only for this to be refuted by the subsequent write-ups and ratings.

Edited by BroadstairsR

11 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I give up. No i never said that either. Im saying at least guve svh some minutes.

Thats not leaving out Sarg or Barnes.

Try reading what pwople put and try not making up new arguments each time

Are u saying svh doesnt deserve a chance or any minutes and that hes rubbish then?

Next thing youll say to me is "you happy weve only got 9 games left" as you seem to make gapless & false suggestions each response.

Im factually saying give svh some minutes (its factual Sarg is managing an ankle injury and uts factual Barnes is suffering fatigue) as and when they tire or need a rest, e.g. instead of Gibbs coming on for a winger. See he could replace them or someone else

This is pretty much without foundation. Put simply if SVH is on the pitch either Barnes or Srage isn't, possible both. Eith little room for error in the run in giving him minutes just to get him up to speed or see what he is like is counter productive. As third choice Idah offered more (right now, as he is ready and has chipped in - not making the case that this is long term).

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

This is pretty much without foundation. Put simply if SVH is on the pitch either Barnes or Srage isn't, possible both. Eith little room for error in the run in giving him minutes just to get him up to speed or see what he is like is counter productive. As third choice Idah offered more (right now, as he is ready and has chipped in - not making the case that this is long term).

Right now Idah isnt an option whether he was a better option or not.

Heres an idea, bring svh on as a sub, for sarg, or barnes or anyone. By the way players tire and wagner makes subs. Then svh starts playing and then we can judge him.

17 hours ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

Since 2014 isn't it though? It's a decade... couldn't they have nailed them with some of those by now? If it's one bullet, why did Everton get shot so easily?