Thirsty Lizard

Josh Sargent Ripping the Championship to Shreds

So despite missing over half the season Josh is comfortably on the first page of the Championship top scorers list.

Incredibly he is currently scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 80 minutes. The next nearest player by this measure is some bloke called Jamie Vardy at a goal every 104 minutes, followed by Preston's Will Keane at a goal every 146 minutes. If a player were to play 90 minutes of all 46 Championship games and score at a rate of 1 goal every 80 minutes they would end up on 52 goals for the season. 

Screenshot 2024-02-17 174121.png

• Like 3

He’s a top, top player. If anyone is in doubt about why we want promotion it’s to keep hold of players like him. I doubt we will be able to if we don’t. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He’s a top, top player. If anyone is in doubt about why we want promotion it’s to keep hold of players like him. I doubt we will be able to if we don’t. 

Sadly this is almost certainly true. At least one of the last things Webber did before he left was to get Josh signed up to a new long term contract.

• Like 1

Much like Farke with Pukki, Wagner rightly built the side pre season about the best way to get the most out of Josh.

It's why Barnes plays when people would prefer Sara up there - Barnes and Sargent combine brilliantly and its clear they enjoy being on the pitch together.

• Like 4

I think a poor signing for a Premier League survival mission given how green he was initially. But he’s adapted to the rigours of English football with aplomb. I think it was always unfair to assess him after the last Prem tilt. The lad has gone from strength to strength when fit. Long may it continue 

• Confused 1

Another interesting metric is our points per game when Sarge is in the team: 2.08. Obviously it's not an exact science, but that PPG over the whole season so far would have us fighting it out with Leeds, Southampton and the binners for 2nd. It's almost impossible to overstate how good Josh is at this level.

When you consider that we were also without Bashley for 10-odd games and Sainz got crocked in pre-season, Wagner has been a bit unluckier than we've given him credit for, I think.

Oh, and in the seven games that Gunn missed with injury, our PPG was 0.86. Let's just hope we can keep compensating for the loss of Rowe in the run-in.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Another interesting metric is our points per game when Sarge is in the team: 2.08. Obviously it's not an exact science, but that PPG over the whole season so far would have us fighting it out with Leeds, Southampton and the binners for 2nd. It's almost impossible to overstate how good Josh is at this level.

When you consider that we were also without Bashley for 10-odd games and Sainz got crocked in pre-season, Wagner has been a bit unluckier than we've given him credit for, I think.

Oh, and in the seven games that Gunn missed with injury, our PPG was 0.86. Let's just hope we can keep compensating for the loss of Rowe in the run-in.

Rather reminds me how vital Buendia seemed for us under Farke. Always did much worse without him

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So despite missing over half the season Josh is comfortably on the first page of the Championship top scorers list.

Incredibly he is currently scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 80 minutes. The next nearest player by this measure is some bloke called Jamie Vardy at a goal every 104 minutes, followed by Preston's Will Keane at a goal every 146 minutes. If a player were to play 90 minutes of all 46 Championship games and score at a rate of 1 goal every 80 minutes they would end up on 52 goals for the season. 

I literally just saw this on the BBC website and came to post.. but you’re in first! Absolutely phenomenal. 

There ain’t many all round number 9s about at the minute. Sarge is becoming just that.. I think he’s hot property this summer. Another 10 goals this season easily. 

He’s replaced Pukki and needs to be hero worshiped in the same way! 

What a player. Love him!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Spot on, unfortunately.

I'd imagine there are 10 plus PL teams looking at him with regards to a bid in the summer.

Not 100% but not that injured but still too good for the Championship.

If we don't get promoted he won't be here next season as we won't turn down the offers we will inevitably get.

Edited by Capt. Pants

33 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sarge is huge for us. Indispensable in fact. Rowe is a huge talent and great to watch.. but we’re able to cope without him. Sarge is our stand out star player.

• Like 1

I think we need to enjoy him while we can ☹️. He has grown into a complete old school  number 9 in my opinion in the last couple of seasons and had he not missed a huge chunk this season would have been looking at over 20 league goals easily.

wasnt there interest from Farke in bringing him to Leeds in the summer? I would imagine given he is now use to the English game that he would want to reunite with him if Leeds go on and secure a top flight spot next year and I’m sure they won’t be the only lower half premier league teams sniffing around unfortunately. 

Those stats are phenomenal. 1.13 goals per 90 minutes and 79% shot accuracy are head and shoulders above the next best player and 42% goal conversion is joint top. I definitely didn't rate him before this season. He's absolutely come good now. 

for the doom mongers let’s talk numbers, 35-40m? 

good return for a striker who was continually labelled a donkey isn’t it? 

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Hopefully if Attanassio is involved but if it’s left to the usual dealbreakers we will bite anyones hands off for £20m and a packet of crisps after 10 leagues goals

Just now, Shannock Bob said:

Hopefully if Attanassio is involved but if it’s left to the usual dealbreakers we will bite anyones hands off for £20m and a packet of crisps after 10 leagues goals

I thought we did well to get 35m for Buendia so that’s the benchmark plus strikers usually Go for more 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I thought we did well to get 35m for Buendia so that’s the benchmark plus strikers usually Go for more 

He’s got way longer left on his contract too.

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Also look at his goal conversion rate and shot accuracy. Very very good stats sarge 

First Sara, then came Rowe and now the Sarge high on the list of vulnerable assets.

Even Saintz is threatening to infiltrate this elite band. Whilst Gunn gets better and better.

I once said that Omo would end up our most saleable asset, and even topping the Emi deal. That went wrong for various reasons, but no bones broken because the Academy seems to be producing others.

The Sarge could well be in demand from mid-PL teams by the season's end, and I'm talking £40m. He's a striker, after all. The most valuable commodity in the game.

He's come so far since his first season as a youngster in a new land proved to be not quite up to Premier League demands, Acclimatised, older and confident.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

Those stats are phenomenal. 1.13 goals per 90 minutes and 79% shot accuracy are head and shoulders above the next best player and 42% goal conversion is joint top. I definitely didn't rate him before this season. He's absolutely come good now. 

I'm another one who has had to eat humble pie over Sargent. What I really admire most about him is the fact that he learns. I'd still argue that he's not naturally the most gifted of players technically, but that side of his game has improved enormously, as has his awareness of what is happening around him on the pitch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

lol. Find me something that supports that comment! “Continually” being the key word… another poster who enjoys taking a swipe at fellow fans… odd!!

Anyway, to your first point, I’d say £30 million is not unreasonable. Who else is like Sarge in either EPL or Champs?

11 hours ago, Shannock Bob said:

we have had some cracking deals on sales your just talking crap

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

First Sara, then came Rowe and now the Sarge high on the list of vulnerable assets.

Even Saintz is threatening to infiltrate this elite band. Whilst Gunn gets better and better.

I once said that Omo would end up our most saleable asset, and even topping the Emi deal. That went wrong for various reasons, but no bones broken because the Academy seems to be producing others.

The Sarge could well be in demand from mid-PL teams by the season's end, and I'm talking £40m. He's a striker, after all. The most valuable commodity in the game.

He's come so far since his first season as a youngster in a new land proved to be not quite up to Premier League demands, Acclimatised, older and confident.

we still got some decent money for Omo who failed to impress or improve last season

current form sugests Sarge is a 40m plus striker who with the right service can cause anyone problems even in Germany he was only a backup player so we need to give credit to Wagner for bringing out his best I suppose

Nuno looks to be on track now as well if he can continue where he left off we have a big asset in him  on the pitch and for resale

several of the kids on loan look good so the academy is churning out a whole new batch of decent footballers its rare to get any who can cut it at championship or even league one level once you factor in every teams young lads

Edited by Paul101

Just having some energy up from is making a huge difference. Shame he’s “injured” still lol