I agree with your top three but still too hard to call for me for the other places . There are a few teams like us who believe they just need to put a run together but are also one or two injuries away from falling short. 1p5wich might just have done just enough unfortunately.

We have already lost 12 matches but If we get 13 points from the next 15, I will be a believer! 

A lot of but's....

Possible if our best players can hold their form for the remainder of  the season and stay injury free.

There are some pretty good teams like Hull up there at the moment - they would have to totally collapse to not be up there.

They used to say that, in the Chumps, there is always one team that emerges from nowhere goes on a run and ends up a surprise package in the play-offs. Let's hope it is us.

There is also a history of one prominent team folding collapsing in the second half of the long hard Championship season. Let's hope that team is ITFC.

They play WBA at home next, a crucial indicator of where their season will end up. We play at QPR and on current form should get a result.

• Like 2

In making my prediction I have looked at the remaining fixtures of the teams around us. We have by far the easiest run in. 

I also think we are guilty of underestimating our own team. Let's face it, we're a bunch of moaners. We beat one of the best in form teams in the division on Saturday without Hanley and Rowe. We're not in the same class as Leicester and Southampton but if we keep our key players fit I'll be surprised if we don't finish in the top 6.

• Like 4

Too early to predict. On pure points on the board anyone in the top half is still in within touching distance of 6th!

Despite our good win against Coventry we actually dropped a place due to our worse goal difference. It will be very tight but I'm hopeful 6th or better is on.

If we’re going to do it I’d much rather play the binners in the semi, losing to them in the final would be ……………….

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

If we’re going to do it I’d much rather play the binners in the semi, losing to them in the final would be ……………….

Losing to anyone in the final would be ........... to be honest. Still have those memories of the Millennium Stadium!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm increasingly confident about our chances of reaching the playoffs given our form over the last 15 matches. As Connor Southwell says in his 6 points:

"Since their 3-2 victory over Cardiff at the beginning of November, Norwich City have taken 27 points from 15 matches. If the Championship table started on that date, that would put the Canaries in fifth place – ahead of Ipswich and below only Coventry, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton. It is quite literally play-off form."

Given our easier run in, the chances look good.

34 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Losing to anyone in the final would be ........... to be honest. Still have those memories of the Millennium Stadium!

That was a very long , quiet trip home........

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Don't mind who we play in the final safe in the knowledge that Daryl Sutch won't be brought on to protect a lead !!!!

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, mccanary said:

That was a very long , quiet trip home........

Wasn't helped by all the Brum coaches driving past with their fans giving us a send off! Fortunately they wen't in a different direction after a while as we quietly headed back to Carrow road.

The current top 3 I think will definitely make the top 6. I think Ipswich should do as they’re currently 15 points clear of 7th, although you never know as the wheels are very wobbly at the moment. With the rest I think it’s too close to call at the moment, as each team still has at least 16 games left to play - West Brom in 5th are only 4 points clear of 7th but with a game in hand, but then even Cardiff in 13th are only 5 points off 6th

The way 1p5wich's results have been going recently and if they continue like that, they will be lucky to get 75 points, which this season may not be enough for the play offs. 

And it is that tight, anyone from 4th downwards is still in the running.  At least we look a bit more like genuine contenders now. 

Leicester, Southampton, Leeds top three by a country mile.  The rest is up for grabs. 

The top 3 are in, Ipswich have a healthy if dwindling cushion but Moore may slow their slide.   I suspect the return of philogene and their jan signings will take hull close.

It is two teams from 10 for the last spots and in a distinctly average rest we are in there.  With so many games to go its in our hands; play as we did sat,  churn out the wins, pray sarge stays fit and there is no reason why the season won't be extended

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 1

Not getting too carried away on the playoff predictions yet, yes we are on good form atm but we rely on Sargent staying fit, the stats thread illustrate just how crucial he is to our game.

My concern too is the injury possibilities.  It was clear coming out of pre-season that beyond our starting 11 things start to get a little squeaky around the rear.   

I dare not predict, but even at our lowest point this season i've always maintained that with this coach and these players, we're comfortably top 6 if they're available.

However, how the season sits today i'd say that Hull are going to be incredibly strong this second half of the season, i'd have them in the top 6, which leaves 1 spot.  If both Hull and WBA win their games in hand, that's quite a safety net of points for teams that already have decent squads.

The injuries we've come through have been a killer really, another 2-3 points on the board at this stage and i'd be feeling quite confident.  But when you look at worse case factoring those games played differences, we could effectively be outside the top six by 5 pts right now.

However, as mentioned above, our remaining fixtures certainly look the better.  And there's also many of those above that play each other.  I've always had belief, and our results against the tougher opponents recently should put us on a good foot.   

People do need to get off this anti-Wagner agenda though, save it all for end of season.  We don't want a bad result to completely hit morale.  Carrow Road felt like it was back at the end of the match on Saturday and I loved it!

Edited by Google Bot

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The way 1p5wich's results have been going recently and if they continue like that, they will be lucky to get 75 points, which this season may not be enough for the play offs. 

And it is that tight, anyone from 4th downwards is still in the running.  At least we look a bit more like genuine contenders now. 

Leicester, Southampton, Leeds top three by a country mile.  The rest is up for grabs. 

They’ve pretty much got a 6 game buffer if they win their game in hand. 5 games as it stands. I admire your optimism but I think they’re a given for the play offs. The question is can we get into them too. Depends if Wagner can keep this run going or if we revert to another bad one. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Not getting too carried away on the playoff predictions yet, yes we are on good form atm but we rely on Sargent staying fit, the stats thread illustrate just how crucial he is to our game.

Agreed. And there’s still plenty of portions of games where we look vulnerable. Some of the wins have been lucky and could easily have gone the other way. The consistency and performances are improving though.  But we need to up it further and keep key personnel fit. SVH getting into the goals would also help hugely. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Satriales said:

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I really wasn't that fussed about losing that game. It was very clear to me that team wasn't ready for the PL. I really enjoyed the day and really enjoyed the fact that for the first time in about five years, we were contenders again. Think I'd feel the same again if we lost at Wembley this season – as long as we've already disposed of the binners in the semi-final. (Agree with @dylanisabaddog that we'll have to finish fifth for that to happen. Binners are going to finish fourth.)

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typos

26 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I really wasn't that fussed about losing that game. It was very clear to me that team wasn't ready for the PL. I really enjoyed the day and really enjoyed the fact that for the first time in about five years, we were contenders again. Think I'd feel the same again if we lost at Wembley this season – as long as we've already disposed of the binners in the semi-final. (Agree with @dylanisabaddog that we'll have to finish fifth for that to happen. Binners are going to finish fourth.)

I think I was more gutted because my mate and I thought it was golden goal for extra time. Celebrated like we'd won, only to be surprised to see them play on 😂

It was a fun day out though, pre match in the pubs was great.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

eh ! ! !

The points total for 6th place, based on points so far, has fluctuated between 68 -71 point since before Xmas. Why on earth would it suddenly leap to a higher figure ?

Currently, Hull to finish on 71 points and Coventry to finish on 68

I have a feeling we'll make it in now, against my other instincts.

As to the rest, I'd actually say it doesn't really matter. One of Leeds or Southampton, Ipswich, Norwich and then whoever. Whichever of that initial pair will be favourites, probably rightly so.

49 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yes you were alone. I hate all this bo***cos about “not being ready” to go up. To me you always want promotion, as stating in the league below building simply leads to bigger clubs asset stripping your good players and you end up stuck in mid table for years on end.

Besides there’s no guarantee what will happen if and when you go up. We’ve walked the league under Farke and been embarrassed in the top flight, whereas back to back promotions under Lambert led to a three year stay. Burnley have been abysmal despite sleepwalking to the title last year while Luton are making a much better fist of it with what many would say on paper is a much weaker squad 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Yes you were alone. I hate all this bo***cos about “not being ready” to go up. To me you always want promotion, as stating in the league below building simply leads to bigger clubs asset stripping your good players and you end up stuck in mid table for years on end.

Besides there’s no guarantee what will happen if and when you go up. We’ve walked the league under Farke and been embarrassed in the top flight, whereas back to back promotions under Lambert led to a three year stay. Burnley have been abysmal despite sleepwalking to the title last year while Luton are making a much better fist of it with what many would say on paper is a much weaker squad 

But we will have no money Our supporters will be forced to watch some of the cream of world football at Carrow Road, and travel; to the top grounds in England.... oh woe is us.

I can see the club telling the players. "You'll need to lose a few of these games otherwise you could end up in the play-offs, you better chuck these semi-finals otherwise you might end up at Wembley. What ever you do don't win at Wembley as the money coming to you could set you up for life "

Yep, the last thing City needs is a quarter of a billion in income over the next few years. Bollox. We set out to win every game and see where that takes us. If it is none of the above and we end up 8th or 9th, then at least we did our best. So up and at 'em, I say.

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

I think I was more gutted because my mate and I thought it was golden goal for extra time. Celebrated like we'd won, only to be surprised to see them play on 😂

You and Iwan Roberts, if I remember correctly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Yeah, that's totally fair enough, especially the point about losing your best players. I've got closer to your view during this season as Rowe and lately Sainz have shown what they've got.

What was at one time looking at a dismal season's end in danger of fizzling out early with little to look forward to, along with an unhealthy interest in the Binner results in the hope that they collapse, has now remarkably turned in to a last few months of excitement and expectations.

That bad run of results and performances was truly awful, and amongst the worst in recent Championship history.  

The return of Sargent and others and the emergence of Saintz have clearly been fundamental but the manager himself seems to have got a better grasp of things and now seems miles away from his curious substitutions causing points to be lost and from the bizarre and somewhat desperate decisions that saw Placheta as a defender and considered young Gibbs as a striker and Springett as a starter.

Houdini Wagner has survived for now and whilst many still do not see him as the future, few want him out tomorrow.

Does this upturn in approach correspond with the arrival of Ben Knapper as well as the return of key players?

As a bonus, the accident hot spot has moved decisively from Carrow Road to Portman Road. Let's hope the Maidstone result doesn't remain one of the highlights of our season.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2