Jim Smith

So two days remaining in the transfer window and……

Will wait till after it closes to judge, but if we don’t bring anyone in given we’re in touching distance of the play-offs and the stated aim of top 6, I’ll find it pretty odd personally. It’s not like I’m willing to believe there’s not a single player available that would improve our squad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Must admit I'm slightly incredulous that being only 2 pts off the play-offs we haven't at least brought in a loan player.

I think we can do with another winger as Fassnacht and Onel are pretty useless, and of course another body in midfield, competition for Stacey, and probably a striker if the exit of Idah is sanctioned.

I suspect we're stuck with Adam and his contract for quite some time. 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was warming to NUnez, but he was awful on Sunday against higher calibre players.

Both Nunez and Sara were very disappointing yesterday, but since our game plan seemed to be to play almost everyone as a defender and to totally bypass the middle of the park except for putting Barnes there to knock on hoofballs, I think they deserve another chance at more advanced positions.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Pretty sure I heard Rob Butler say that Knapper is going to do an interview with them, but only after the window has shut?

That made me think that we'd be doing some incoming business, but perhaps not.

Yep, that's accurate.

There was another similar thread about a week ago, saying (and I paraphrase) 'only 11 days left in the window and absolutely nothing has happened'. I said I'd reserve judgement until the end of the window, as 11 days isn't long to wait.

I'm still saying I'll reserve judgement until the end of the window, and now there are only three days to wait. If nothing happens from here (or, worse, we let Idah go and don't replace him), I'll be bitterly disappointed based on the aforementioned 'exciting plans' comment.

But let's just wait until deadline day has been and gone before we start the wailing and gnashing of teeth, eh?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

When you sell a player you have to buy their contract out so they're free.  So I can't see us selling Idah as being financially advantageous unless he's desperate to go he'll waiver what we owe him, or he's on silly low wages.

Please clarify exactly what you mean by this!

Are you saying that when we sold Buendia (example) we paid him three years of wages as he walked out the door?

So are Villa just paying him the difference between his Villa contract & the Norwich one?  So he's being paid twice? 

I am really not sure this is how it works.

• Like 1

Apparently the sale of idah is just £3m!! Fire sale to find funds for varane? Or fire sale because we are seriously broke? Or fire sale to clear decks ahead of a rebuild?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I would feel sorry for him if the club don’t back him. Much of my anger would be aimed at them.

but tactically he is inept and the quality level of the coaching these players are receiving us questionable. The fact we have some good players means we will get enough results at champ level to stay in contention. 

I think there’s method in his madness. I’m not sure I could tell you what it is though.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Get rid, he typifies the averageness of the players we've signed when and since we bought Placheta. I include Long and Forshaw in that list, there are others. 

A bit harsh on Long IMHO. He’s improving as he gets games. He may never be first choice keeper, especially while Gunny’s here, but he made some great stops on Sunday, despite the score line.

16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Apparently the sale of idah is just £3m!! Fire sale to find funds for varane? Or fire sale because we are seriously broke? Or fire sale to clear decks ahead of a rebuild?

Just £3m for Idah? Is someone offering £3m for Idah?

24 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why ‘just’ £3m?  Given how poorly he is regarded by most on here, you surely wouldn’t consider him to be worth anything more? 

33 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Please clarify exactly what you mean by this!

Are you saying that when we sold Buendia (example) we paid him three years of wages as he walked out the door?

I probably didn't word that too well, I was thinking more in regards to people saying we should take £1m for Idah, and there being a 4+ year contract - that in itself is probably worth more than £1m so it wouldn't be financially too appealing.

That contract needs closing, and it has value associated to it.  Who takes that burden is dependant on whether the player is willing to sign a written request to leave which means they will lose out any money due.   I guess usually it's the buying club who foots this bill.

I only saw mention of this for the first time when Rashica was wanting out and it was reported that we owed him money due to the contract remaining and he was considering waivering it and buying out his contract himself to get the move.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I probably didn't word that too well, I was thinking more in regards to people saying we should take £1m for Idah, and there being a 4+ year contract - that in itself is probably worth more than £1m so it wouldn't be financially too appealing.

That contract needs closing, and it has value associated to it.  Who takes that burden is dependant on whether the player is willing to sign a written request to leave which means they will lose out any money due.   I guess usually it's the buying club who foots this bill.

I only saw mention of this for the first time when Rashica was wanting out and it was reported that we owed him money due to the contract remaining and he was considering waivering it and buying out his contract himself to get the move.

Re Rashica, he may have been owed a loyalty payment (an annual lump sum) and maybe delays in negotiation had triggered it & NCFC wanted to claw it back.

My view is that once a player agrees to a move (or contract cancellation) then that contract ends. Of course most player-sales see a better deal for the player (bigger wages/longer term)

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That jury commands expenses.

It is getting expensive, and he's had enough chances to convince them (us.)

Get rid, he typifies the averageness of the players we've signed when and since we bought Placheta. I include Long and Forshaw in that list, there are others. 

Saintz apart I find it difficult to get excited about any signings in recent years, although I did endorse the signings of Barnes and Duffy for pragmatic reasons, but that is now in doubt depending upon the costs involved.

Young Gibbs is the only one that the jury needs time on, imo.

Soz, Was Sara signed after Placheta?

I was warming to NUnez, but he was awful on Sunday against higher calibre players.

Fassnacht a bit like Steipermann for me, written off in season one, potential to be a great player if he settles 

good job Nunez doesn’t play against that standard of player week in week out 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'd be disappointed if we done nothing, especially if we did lose Idah. We'd look really, really poor for numbers up top.

I also think, no matter how much people don't want to give him credit, Wagner has done well to turn things around to being 2 points from the play offs.

It would be completely unfair to then criticise him for the rest of the season if we took players way from him and gave him nothing back.

If we sell Idah,which i'm not worried about,but fail to sign a replacement,my 20yr S/Ticket will end.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes.

21 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Or, OR..

A stupid offer that was rejected.

Honestly, some people.

• Like 2

Why do clubs wait till the last few hours of the transfer window to do business, they’ve had thirty days !

On 29/01/2024 at 10:22, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

6 million euro release clause, Norwich reportedly have offered just under 3 million. Classic Nodge.

Do you think we should have offered €7M, I am confused

22 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hopefully it’s from you binners and we agree it, that will completely f*** you up lol

On 29/01/2024 at 13:36, dylanisabaddog said:

I suspect we're stuck with Adam and his contract for quite some time. 

Well, I timed that to perfection! 

Loan with an option to buy for £3m.  Pack your bag Adam, I'll drop you off at Stansted. 

Is it too late to get that lad back from Pompey? 

22 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I don't think the written transfer request point has been valid for thirty years!

A players contract is a liability for the club, in which the player knows what he will get over the duration including any bonus or staged payments. When negotiating with another club the player's are unlikely to be happy at a TOTAL value that is less than the TOTAL income that is already certain. A players services is often of value to the club he is contracted to and by leaving he is effectively breaking that contract. Any transfer fee is in effect compensation for that break. Again the player is unlikely to leave unless that is agreed. This is clearer in the Spanish system where the compensation for that break is written into contracts, the much misunderstood release clause. This is the amount the player has to compensate his employer if he moves to another club e.g. for Varane he can come and play for us at any time and we as a club don't have to pay anything BUT Varane has to pay 6 million Euros for the privilege. What happens in practice is that the new club contracts to pay the player the release clause + a salary across an agreed duration, the old club is compensated and the contract lapses. Paying up a players contract is a totally separate issue.

I think its clear that we're at the point where we need to sell somebody to buy somebody.

And that this person will likely be Rowe.