cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Peacocks V Canaries*

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah, Leeds have so much more quality yet we pretty much matched them and probably should have scored. Away from home.

I get some refuse to change on their set views but Wagner and the players tried everything.

We had, I think, one chance from Sara towards the end of the first half. Second half we had plenty of possession but never really troubled them either. I don't doubt that maybe Wagner tried everything but my point would be that he's not got enough in his toolbox. 

We remain reliant on big moments from our better players, that can be a good thing to fall back on but it shouldn't be your primary method of chance creation.

• Thanks 1

Farke did his celebration this time,  but noticed it looked like he did it with the Norwich fans too? Brings a lump to your throat 🥺

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The way Farke managed the game in the final 15 mins with astute sub timings was a skill missed in a lot of managers. 

It was quite a feat to make three minutes of injury time last about an hour.

Decent performance but Leeds always had another gear.

Shame all our forward players were largely poor.

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The way Farke managed the game in the final 15 mins with astute sub timings was a skill missed in a lot of managers. 

He definitely wouldn't have made that Sainz change while his team was dominating possession.

Using subs to stop the opposition momentum and give your own players a 90 second breather makes sense. Giving the opposition a chance to catch their breath and regroup when you have them rattled is really rather silly.

Just now, repman said:

We had, I think, one chance from Sara towards the end of the first half. Second half we had plenty of possession but never really troubled them either. I don't doubt that maybe Wagner tried everything but my point would be that he's not got enough in his toolbox. 

We remain reliant on big moments from our better players, that can be a good thing to fall back on but it shouldn't be your primary method of chance creation.

McLean fluffed one first half as well.

Much happier with what I’ve seen tonight, despite the result. If Wagner can restrain himself from f**king things up with his subs there is a template there for how we should set up and okay from now on. Kenny and Nunez were dominant for long spells when together in midfield.

Knapper needs to pull a cheeky loan or singing out of the bag from somewhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well worth a point despite a weaker squad. Leeds fans saying we were one of the best sides at Elland Road this season.

I get people don't like to change their views but it's a bit embarrassing not to acknowledge anything after that.

No complaints tonight,  just that difference in quality decided it, and Rowe having an off night. Needed our bigger players to be totally on it.

Oh well, on to Liverpool 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Leeds with a significantly better squad but we matched them all the way.

I wouldn’t say matched them all the way, but we competed and kept ourselves in it against a far better side. They had a few good chances they wasted.

Credit to Wagner and the players, but for a mistake from Duffy, a poor finish from Sara and a poor final decision from Onel things might have been different.

On moments such games turn.

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Farke did his celebration this time,  but noticed it looked like he did it with the Norwich fans too? Brings a lump to your throat 🥺

Yes I noticed that. Lovely touch.

Wish he were still our manager. There I said it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

It looks like Birmingham City have produced a Zidane.

In Bellingham? More Yaya Toure than Zidane for me Jude is more defensively capable than Zidane but certainly a world class  player hopefully time will look back on him as mercurially as Gazza. 

8 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I really hope Knapper gets another striker in. If Sarg gets injured it will be crippling with only Barnes and Idah

Who's this Knapper fella?

• Haha 1

Completey toothless I'm afraid. Plenty of possession but Leeds let us have the ball knowing we'd do nothing with it. On chances created Leeds should have won more comfortably.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It was quite a feat to make three minutes of injury time last about an hour.

Of the 7 mins that we had over the 90 I think the ball was only in play about 90 seconds 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I just really don’t get that first sub. Kenny and Nunez were combining really well in midfield. 

Kenny was by some distance the best midfielder on the pitch. Chasing the game for a point why on earth switch him to a centre back.

5 minutes ago, repman said:

Yeah. Most teams are reliant on big moments from better players. Look at how pivotal Rutter and Somerville have been to Leeds. Absolutely vital. Nearly everything goes through them. Sara was poor today and so was Rowe, but when you're against the best players in the league...

Under Farke at this level we were hugely reliant on chance creation from a single Emi Buendia.

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

In Bellingham? More Yaya Toure than Zidane for me Jude is more defensively capable than Zidane but certainly a world class  player hopefully time will look back on him as mercurially as Gazza. 

Zidane was technically superior, but the scary thing about Bellingham is that when Zidane was his age he was playing for Cannes at the bottom of Ligue 1, had played 150 fewer competitive games, and was still 2 years away from getting a France cap.

Who knows what peak-Bellingham could look like. It is easy to forget that he is still only 20, he's 3 years younger than Haaland.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah. Most teams are reliant on big moments from better players. Look at how pivotal Rutter and Somerville have been to Leeds. Absolutely vital. Nearly everything goes through them. Sara was poor today and so was Rowe, but when you're against the best players in the league...

Under Farke at this level we were hugely reliant on chance creation from a single Emi Buendia.

Oh I miss Emi so very much. If only we are as lucky to get another as good as him in the rest of my life time. 

Could have easily got something from that game. We matched them, especially in the second half and sara should have scored at the end of the first.  Great effort against a very good side with an unbeaten home record. 

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Idah more than Onel. Onel shows flashes of footballing ability. 

Way of the modern game though. All about physicality and speed. Imagine the likes of Chippy or Molby (scouse version not the one we saw) trying to play today! 

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

More Yaya Toure than Zidane for me

Do you think? Yaya Toure didn't do a huge amount in the final third, Bellingham is all about the final third. He will probably surpass 50% of Toure's career goal total by the end of this season aged only 20.

1 minute ago, vos said:

Kenny was by some distance the best midfielder on the pitch. Chasing the game for a point why on earth switch him to a centre back.

That wasn't the first sub?

The first sub was Sainz off for Onel.

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I just really don’t get that first sub. Kenny and Nunez were combining really well in midfield. 

Agreed. That period where they were dovetailing and dictating the play was f-ing lovely. 

Plenty of positive comments for us on the Leeds FB page, and my Leeds supporting mate text me to say it was nice to see a team try to attack them at Elland Rd.  Like I said earlier, just that final bit of quality lacking at times. 

I am pleased we are starting to play faster,  more attacking football these last 2 games. As Chris Goreham said,  with more finesse up front we could have threatened more. A very good performance and a shame Idah didn't go for goal on his left foot. 

Certainly enjoying our games now,  but why it took this long to make it happen I don't know. Anyway, more positives than negatives.

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Plenty of positive comments for us on the Leeds FB page, and my Leeds supporting mate text me to say it was nice to see a team try to attack them at Elland Rd.  Like I said earlier, just that final bit of quality lacking at times. 

Fair bit on the BEEB too. Gotta give their fans some credit here.

• Like 1