39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ok but Mcleans goal was pretty great. Can he try doing that more often?

Now everyone's gonna shout SHOOOOOT! everytime he gets the ball in the opposition half...

Looked like he had a bit more space than he does in league games which probably helped.

No sign of the BBC’s highlights that I could see yet they have the other ties played last night on their website 

35 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

First few minutes are like an Onel anti-highlights reel.

Such an inept player. Another one for me who should be shipped out come the summer.

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Such an inept player. Another one for me who should be shipped out come the summer.

Love how he gets two assists in his previous two, then has a bad 45 and is back to being a a scapegoat

• Like 9

That’s a cracking save from Long. Great goal from Kenny too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ok but Mcleans goal was pretty great. Can he try doing that more often?

Not playing at CB no

There's quite a bit of turning the body from our defenders when jumping in to block. Always irritates me as a goalie, that - go in as square on as you can, make yourself big!

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

For all the critism we may have gave him it's like hes turned into Buffon in our last two cup matches

Almost as if a rusty keeper needs some time to hit what they're capable of. See Tim Krul's start with us for details.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Love how he gets two assists in his previous two, then has a bad 45 and is back to being a a scapegoat

Not really. It doesnt make him a good player for having two assists though does it. If you have a look at him and similar players of his ilk, they are never going to contribute enough on the pitch going forwards in order for us to progress. Not a scapegoat, as there are many players we have who should be sold and moved on.

Edited by jaberry2

28 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Inept ? Really ? Two assists in two consecutive games. He made immediate impact when he came on as a sub late in the game at Hull and that final ball for Fassnacht’s goal was superb. IMO Onel is a key member of our squad. 

Edited by Vegueros

Just now, Vegueros said:

Inept ? Really ? Two assists in the last two league games. He made immediate impact when he came on as a sub late in the game at Hull and that final ball for Fassnacht’s goal was superb. 

Lets look at the bigger picture here please. Two assists for Onel in his latest outings fair play, but he does not consistently offer much. If people think Onel is a good enough first team option and we are going to progress with the likes of him in our first team, perhaps the fanbase is as deluded as the board are in terms of ambition.

Idah's penalty was a far better hit than it was described by Phil. Sounded like he'd put it down the centre but squirmed in off the keeper. That was well placed with power and the keeper did very well to touch it.

• Like 7

We really rode our luck, Bristol Rovers had some great chances. I'm afraid it's more of the same systemic issues with a few moments of quality rather than a coherent underlying plan. 

In principle I was quite satisfied with the line-up because it moved Sara forwards and brought in an extra midfielder which I've been clamouring for. But we play with so much width and push the wide players so high that we still leave too much space in the centre of the pitch and end up wide open at times.

I was really happy with Sara's involvement and I think there are some real positives from that second half, but this was a League One club. 

• Like 2

Just now, Petriix said:

We really rode our luck, Bristol Rovers had some great chances. I'm afraid it's more of the same systemic issues with a few moments of quality rather than a coherent underlying plan. 

In principle I was quite satisfied with the line-up because it moved Sara forwards and brought in an extra midfielder which I've been clamouring for. But we play with so much width and push the wide players so high that we still leave too much space in the centre of the pitch and end up wide open at times.

I was really happy with Sara's involvement and I think there are some real positives from that second half, but this was a League One club. 

Agreed. It seemed we looked better in the second half or when the introduction of Nunez came on. Wagner seems to be working on issues one at a time i.e. sorting the defence first and now trying to get us playing possession-based football again. We are just so woeful at keeping the ball and there are just constant individual mistakes. We really should be dominating possession against the likes of Bristol Rovers.

43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

For all the critism we may have gave him it's like hes turned into Buffon in our last two cup matches

That was mainly you though and your constant reference to what Millwall fans had to say.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

That’s a cracking save from Long. Great goal from Kenny too.

Long deserves his credit for that game. He can do it, just way to inconsistent sadly.

36 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Idah's penalty was a far better hit than it was described by Phil. Sounded like he'd put it down the centre but squirmed in off the keeper. That was well placed with power and the keeper did very well to touch it.

Was thinking the same thing.I've Idah often goes that side, the keeper guessed it and almost pulled off a great save.

Brilliant bit of control by AI 2nd half from a long ball. Keeper makes a decent save.

I think Nunez is becoming quite an important part of this team. He is keeping things ticking over and that kind of player always tends to get underestimated, but we definitely have looked better with him on the pitch recently. 

• Like 3

Watching the highlights, we do still create far too many opportunities for our opponents, by playing balls into our wide defenders into the corners, where they effectively have only two directions in which they can then pass the ball. This action loses us possession time and time again.

Midfield (and sometimes forward) players coming back to offer an alternative outlet, just bring another opponent into the equation, often with disastrous results, via Ashley Barnes a few weeks ago.

As has been said by many others,  I've no problem with possession-based football, but it needs to be played far more intelligently, and much quicker, than we appear capable of at the moment

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

By that I assume you mean the 2 brizzl games, I also thought he had a good game against Fulham.

So if he's a cup only keeper, do we go all gunn-ho against Liverpool and go full strength or play a similar set of 2nd stringers

Edited by debbie does norwich
Missing word "good" added

Kenny's ball to McCallum for his shot leading to Sara's goal was a piece of real quality on a poor pitch.

Again it's against a League One side and equally we had some rusty players like Sorensen, Gibson and Baath in the side so it's hard and almost pointless to judge too much either way.

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

When you watch the highlights you kind of realise how much Phil get's things wrong in commentary.

"It should have been 2-0 to Bristol Rovers" - A shot from the edge of the area with 6 bodies in between on his weak foot....

"It was just over from Evans" - The shot nearly went out for a throw in

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When you watch the highlights you kind of realise how much Phil get's things wrong in commentary.

"It should have been 2-0 to Bristol Rovers" - A shot from the edge of the area with 6 bodies in between on his weak foot....

"It was just over from Evans" - The shot nearly went out for a throw in

Indeed, when watching with that commentary, you do realise the description of some events is quite different to what was expected.

It looked a decent enough cup game, it’s good that we won.  Move on to the next where we probably won’t! 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Was thinking the same thing.I've Idah often goes that side, the keeper guessed it and almost pulled off a great save.

Brilliant bit of control by AI 2nd half from a long ball. Keeper makes a decent save.

I know AI is taking over but didn’t realise we had ChatGPT up front just yet! 🤖 

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Agreed. It seemed we looked better in the second half or when the introduction of Nunez came on. Wagner seems to be working on issues one at a time i.e. sorting the defence first and now trying to get us playing possession-based football again. We are just so woeful at keeping the ball and there are just constant individual mistakes. We really should be dominating possession against the likes of Bristol Rovers.

A lot better with Nunez on. Also Kenny stopped dropping into the back line so much which gave us more options to play through the midfield and beat their press.

We did, however, still get opened up a little too easily for my liking at times given we were up against league 1 opposition even in the second half. I also did not like the triple substitution. We were cutting them open at that point on the break and Idah had just scored so was buoyed. I don’t get why we then immediately took off all our pace on the counter attack and we had an iffy 15 minutes after that before regaining some control. If was another example of very poor reading of the game or possibly a premeditated substitution strategy that should have been re-thought. I get taking Rowe off but Idah and Onel did not need resting or protecting for Saturday. 

Phil Daley is better than a lot of the opposition drivel that I hear on little rivers, but it does make you realise just how good Chris Goreham is at describing the action.  The finish from Sara was more than the tap in that he made it sound like.

• Like 7