Sign in to follow this  
BigGrantsTash

To those obsessed with boos.

I was at the game yesterday and heard the half arsed boos. I’ve read the many posts about how terrible are fans are for booing and how it’s detrimental. We need to get behind them etc. Don’t get me wrong. I completely agree with the sentiment of getting behind the team. Nor would I personally boo. Or feel comfortable doing it.

My post is more to ask the question: Do people believe this sort of fan behaviour is exclusive to Norwich fans?

Have any of you been to an away game? More to the point. Have any of you been to an away game where the home team was in bad form and the fans were getting disgruntled? 

I’ve been to several. I can think of a game at Anfield where we got a draw towards the end Brendan Rodger’s tenure off the top of my head. The stadium of light, Elland Road. Now those fans can turn of their team.

My point being, I’ve been to dozens of away games, whether we were in league one, the champ or the prem. I’ve heard fans boo their managers and get on their players back.

Nobody does it more timid than Norwich fans. Trust me. In comparison to the majority of fans in the top 3 leagues in this country. We barely boo properly, we never really get the players or managers back fully. It’s all half arsed and done with restraint. All of our players would have experienced far worse at their previous clubs. 

• Like 7

Booing happens at every club when what is happening on the pitch is consistently below expectation. And I don’t think it’s unreasonable expectation when it comes to us. It’s not like when Real Madrid fans start booing if they’re not 5 up within 20mins. Our fans are incredibly passive when it comes to protest and the hierarchy know it. It’s why Delia can write a section off as just being whingers. As the majority sit on their hands, zip their mouth, and accept it and turn up next game again. 

I wish we had more booers - as our fan base don’t do it unreasonably. They’re certainly very supportive of players on the whole. 
But, of course, if the effort level isn’t acceptable then frankly they deserve to be booed. As does poor management. And we’ve got a lot of the latter right now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The way forward to make a form of protest against what we are witnessing on the field with Wagner in charge is a phone torch display visible to those in the directors box and dugout without the need to boo.

A simple solution for those who object to booing.

Let's start away at Hull Friday night.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The way forward to make a form of protest against what we are witnessing on the field with Wagner in charge is a phone torch display visible to those in the directors box and dugout without the need to boo.

A simple solution for those who object to booing.

Let's start away at Hull Friday night.

The problem with this approach is that its purpose might be misunderstood and the board might think it’s a reference to the fall of the Berlin Wall and that the fans are trying to recreate the video to Scorpions’ 1991 hit ‘Winds of Change’…

I think the boos are natural when performances are bad and totally understandable. Especially end of games etc.

The bit I do think is unbelievable is booing us passing it around the back 8 minutes into a game as it smacks of a complete void in understanding football and that's the bit I take issue with. And I vocalise it to those around me so I don't just keyboard-warrior that point.

But at home we've been underwhelming enough times and certainly 80 minutes into the game yesterday I felt it was fair enough.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think the boos are natural when performances are bad and totally understandable. Especially end of games etc.

The bit I do think is unbelievable is booing us passing it around the back 8 minutes into a game as it smacks of a complete void in understanding football and that's the bit I take issue with. And I vocalise it to those around me so I don't just keyboard-warrior that point.

But at home we've been underwhelming enough times and certainly 80 minutes into the game yesterday I felt it was fair enough.

Perhaps it is not the passing around at the back in itself that people are booing but more to with the nature of it. We need to move the ball quicker between players in order to create space and then be more positive when passing forward. Instead we are subjected to slow turgid football which either leads to Gunn hoofing the ball forward or being pressed into giving it away. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The thing is it's impossible to articulate from the stands exactly what you're unhappy about and why you feel that way. I don't boo, but it's not because I think I'm above it or that I'm a better fan for not booing it just feels pointless and wrong to me but I tend to find myself agreeing with the mood in the stands most of the time and I totally understand why some do and why they feel the need to vocalize to people at the club that they're unhappy with something. In this instance it feels more like the crowd are annoyed about the way we're playing out and our players lack of ability to do it as opposed to booing the concept of playing out from the back. 

I never understood the booing at passing it around the back during Farke's first season and a half because the club and Farke communicated to us clearly exactly what we were trying to do, that it would take time and that we were in a transitional period even if it was pretty dodgy at times because we knew we were trying to implement a new style of play and over the course of that period we were getting better at it generally and when we pulled it off it worked. But right now we only seem to be getting worse, the defenders we have now don't look remotely capable of comfortable doing it, it's too slow, it's too languid, too lacking in invention and creativity and other teams (even mid table L1 teams) are finding it too easy to stop us. Even when we do get around teams we rarely make something happen so I totally understand why fans are booing it.

But the thing is you can't communicate from the stands that you're unhappy because of those reasons, you can only boo a certain pattern of play that keeps failing and putting us under more pressure. Some fans will always have a problem with playing out from the back and maybe they're the ones you find yourself arguing with, but I'd like to think most are booing because they're sick of us repeating the same pattern of play that keeps failing but if you want to be heard from the stands there's no way to communicate that effectively. 

Imagine if we had two big, immobile lumps up front with no pace and who couldn't time a run but kept trying to feed them with through balls as our main tactic for creating chances. It wouldn't work and eventually the crowd would start getting annoyed at the team for trying the same thing over and over again and it not getting us anywhere. It's not that they have a problem with the idea of us trying through balls, the problem is that tactic isn't working for the players we had and would quite rightly be getting frustrated at the team for it, but you can't shout from the stands exactly why you're getting frustrated. If we'd been struggling with that approach for a while then started doing that against a L1 team and it wasn't working as usual of course the crowd would start getting on the teams back even if it was only 8 minutes in. 

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think people were booing about the passing around at the back per se after 8 minutes. It was just those first few minutes were as negative an approach as we saw against Soton. We were playing a team 24 places below us, we were the home side, we should have been on the front foot. When we were doing the exact opposite that's when people had the right to openly criticise what they were seeing.

But yes, after 80 minutes and there was a lack of any sign of positivity, absolutely fine to boo. Again as others said, it was however apathetic booing.

35 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I don't think people were booing about the passing around at the back per se after 8 minutes. It was just those first few minutes were as negative an approach as we saw against Soton. We were playing a team 24 places below us, we were the home side, we should have been on the front foot. When we were doing the exact opposite that's when people had the right to openly criticise what they were seeing.

But yes, after 80 minutes and there was a lack of any sign of positivity, absolutely fine to boo. Again as others said, it was however apathetic booing.

Sorry, re passing it around the back booing I was referring to nearly every home game this season since Rotherham away. Sheffield Wed's at Home and Hudds at home two recent examples.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sorry, re passing it around the back booing I was referring to nearly every home game this season since Rotherham away. Sheffield Wed's at Home and Hudds at home two recent examples.

I suspect rather than the actual tactic of playing out from the back, people are more wound up by the fact we're so slow and lethargic at doing it when the tactical style relies on yes patience but also being able to counter at pace. That's what bothers me about our continuing use of it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If we're honest, isn't our passing around at the back usually a failure, fans know that, and therefore they boo? How often do we do it badly for about a minute, everyone's heart is in their mouth, things threaten to fall apart, and one of our players ends up just lumping the ball forwards anyway?

And if we're going to play out from the back, why buy Duffy and Batth, who are not well suited to the tactic?

EDIT: Sorry for basically repeating what many other posters have said.

Edited by canarybubbles

There are sets of fans who are generally quite loud but who are equally loud when they're p*ssed off. The thing is they usually support first and moan/boo if things go badly. CR is dominated by people who are silent when things are going well, but suddenly very vocal when disgruntled. These days i go to CR hoping the ref has a shocker, or the opposition are dirty foulers so at least the moaners take it out on something other than their own players and club. 

Maybe Delia and Co, should remember the changes they made that have improved this team. Change isn't always a reflection on their previous decisions, just an improvement. 

Posted (edited)

The fans pay the money and if they feel the need to let the team & club know they’re not happy then it’s their prerogative!

Waving lights on mobile phone sort of typifies our club’s supporters! They probably think it’s a show of support!
Why not make a real statement by taking white hankies and wave them in a show of demonstrating?

I’m really not sure what MA thinks at present, was he there Saturday? 

Edited by Indy

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Waving lights on mobile phone sort of typifies our club’s supporters! They probably think it’s a show of support!
Why not make a real statement by taking white hankies and wave them in a show of demonstrating?

I know for a fact that the club monitor what is being posted on this forum so unless they are not reading the room at all i am sure it will be conveyed what it will mean if mobile phones being illuminated are waved around especially at a night match.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I know for a fact that the club monitor what is being posted on this forum so unless they are not reading the room at all i am sure it will be conveyed what it will mean if mobile phones being illuminated are waved around especially at a night match.

OK Til you’re probably correct but a vast majority of us weren’t sure it was a protest and normally waving lights at an event is a show of support! But if everyone is clear on what is meant great!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

OK Til you’re probably correct but a vast majority of us weren’t sure it was a protest and normally waving lights at an event is a show of support! But if everyone is clear on what is meant great!

I wasn't too sure what it meant but it seems a simple thing to do as everybody has a phone in their pocket and the anti boo brigade surely cannot take offence at a gesture aimed at Wagner and his staff in the dugout plus Delia and Co. who will travel and sit in the directors box.

I will possibly make the media aware and plonk it on Facebook as well. There appears to be a seige mentality at the club following the AGM so time to make them sit up and acknowledge there is a problem with our direction of travel.

Of course a style of play and a few victories even a couple of decent performances and more than happy to keep my phone firmly in my pocket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I wasn't too sure what it meant but it seems a simple thing to do as everybody has a phone in their pocket and the anti boo brigade surely cannot take offence at a gesture aimed at Wagner and his staff in the dugout plus Delia and Co. who will travel and sit in the directors box.

I will possibly make the media aware and plonk it on Facebook as well. There appears to be a seige mentality at the club following the AGM so time to make them sit up and acknowledge there is a problem with our direction of travel.

Of course a style of play and a few victories even a couple of decent performances and more than happy to keep my phone firmly in my pocket.

For me it’s more deep rooted than a few victories, it’s about the lacklustre board and the way the club is just drifting from top level to the players! If there’s no leadership setting standards and demands it filters down the organisation! Sad.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

For me it’s more deep rooted than a few victories, it’s about the lacklustre board and the way the club is just drifting from top level to the players! If there’s no leadership setting standards and demands it filters down the organisation! Sad.

From little acorns big oak trees grow with regard to mobile phones.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bedsheets .... Banners are what we need, get the messages on them and out. Will get noticed and maybe even on TV. If not everyone throw tennis balls on the pitch or as it's Norfolk maybe Turnips.

Edited by hurricane

8 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Bedsheets .... Banners are what we need, get the messages on them and out. Will get noticed and maybe even on TV. If not everyone throw tennis balls on the pitch or as it's Norfolk maybe Turnips.

Baseballs! Throw baseballs on the pitch! We’re American now, or will be!

26 minutes ago, Indy said:

Baseballs! Throw baseballs on the pitch! We’re American now, or will be!

They won’t hesitate to permanently ban, prosecute and/or physically injure fans that show any sign of protest.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I suspect rather than the actual tactic of playing out from the back, people are more wound up by the fact we're so slow and lethargic at doing it when the tactical style relies on yes patience but also being able to counter at pace. That's what bothers me about our continuing use of it.

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

If we're honest, isn't our passing around at the back usually a failure, fans know that, and therefore they boo? How often do we do it badly for about a minute, everyone's heart is in their mouth, things threaten to fall apart, and one of our players ends up just lumping the ball forwards anyway?

And if we're going to play out from the back, why buy Duffy and Batth, who are not well suited to the tactic?

EDIT: Sorry for basically repeating what many other posters have said.

Passing out from the back has worked considerably better for us than going long. 90% of our goals have come from us bringing it out from the back.

Further Ken, the booing starts when a defender stands still with the ball. That's when it begins. But it's intentional, it's what any team does passing out from the back. Try and bait and encourage a press. 

We arent excellent at it but we are better than doing the alternative.

You have to really, really thick to do what the Barclay has been doing around me. Booing passing out from the back - we then create a chance from it yet next time start booing again and moaning then sarcastically cheer when Gunn goes long, it comes straight back and the opposition get a shot on goal?

Sorry, booing bad performances etc is one thing but the booing and sarcastic cheering of the above must be hugely off putting for any potential manager as they know they're dealing with a fanbase who can't even see what's in front of them.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Conrad said:

Perhaps it is not the passing around at the back in itself that people are booing but more to with the nature of it. We need to move the ball quicker between players in order to create space and then be more positive when passing forward. Instead we are subjected to slow turgid football which either leads to Gunn hoofing the ball forward or being pressed into giving it away. 

I think you're both right on this one. We move the ball so slowly it's ridiculous. It's the main reason we're not very good... but there's no doubt a significant section of our fan base who don't want us 'messing around at the back' and want us to 'get it forward' without understanding how football works. When you're a good team you move it very quickly from back to front, but the ball rarely leaves the floor and it takes four or five passes to get there - its just those passes are rapid, so it doesn't feel like 'messing about with it'... but even good teams aren't incisive and cutting with every play and will have some time just keeping possession.

Basically, that's a long-winded way of saying we're crap.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a show of protest. I think it was a reflection of the type of spectator present. It happens at concerts a lot and I’ve seen it at England matches at Wembley. I think it’s tinpot at football but I don’t think it’s a protest, and if it was nobody around me realised it was, even though lots of the kids were anxious to join in.