Sign in to follow this  
Hook's-Walk-Canary

Luton FC

They faced obscurity in the non-leagues in recent times. They spent fa in getting back in the league and eventual Premier League promotion.

Now they're 7 pts away from our points tally in the Premier with 20 games and sixty points to play for and they've done this minus the millions we've floundered..

The message is: We are a badly run football club.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

It just means that they have been fortunate to get promoted into the worst Premier League in living memory.

May or may not be the case but you know we’d still be below sheff Utd if we were in there.

• Like 2

Just now, Coneys Knee said:

May or may not be the case but you know we’d still be below sheff Utd if we were in there.

No, we'd be comfortably mid table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

They faced obscurity in the non-leagues in recent times. They spent fa in getting back in the league and eventual Premier League promotion.

Now they're 7 pts away from our points tally in the Premier with 20 games and sixty points to play for and they've done this minus the millions we've floundered..

No the message is Luton are an extremely well run local community club with realistic expectations who use the size of the club and their exceptional manager and hard working squad as a catalyst for their good results 

it doesn’t always have to be linked back to Norwich 

Edited by Yobocop
Spelling police
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Maybe Luton are a particularly well run football club?

Also results suggest their s hithole ground offers quite a bit of home advantage.

It’s more the fans who will sign for 90 mins regardless of whether they’re winning losing or drawing. 

The partisan atmosphere in the main stand where they have a flag which reads ‘Luton Town FC - betrayed by the FA’ and singing ‘30 points who gives a f, we’re Luton town and we’re staying up’ 

I wouldn’t fancy it as an opposition player but it’s more the atmosphere generated as opposed to the old lady herself 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

The messages are actually:

1) you will constantly manipulate facts to suit your agenda

2) Luton are (currently) a well-run football club. See Dylan’s reply below your post.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

No the message is Luton are an extremely well run local community club with realistic expectations who use the size of the club and their exceptional manager and hard working squad as a catalyst for their good results 

it doesn’t always have to be linked back to Norwich 

The first paragraph was surely the blueprint for ourselves 25 years ago. Perhaps we have kept it together to a degree, take Charlton as an example. Then again we haven't kept it together as well as we could have done through Non-Executives handing over too much power to here today gone tomorrow Executives.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, we'd be comfortably mid table.

No we would'nt. Because our defence at that level has always been crap and our players would not be mentally as strong as Lutons appear to be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I suggest you take a look at the league tables for numerous examples of clubs that are run in a much worse way than Norwich City. 

I guess the best way to tell if this is true would be to do some sort of weighted points per pound spent graph to see who is well run and who isn’t?

A solid team who work very hard with a couple of quality players ,

Barkley and Townsend are very good signings both a point to prove and look like they are enjoying their football 

i imagine both are on more money than the other players but they does not seemed to have rocked the boat as they are the best players ,

The rest are all mostly fit strong players with a bit of pace and no nonsense defending ,

i could not name most of their team but as a unit they all play well together and giving it a go well done Luton town FC 

52 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It’s more the fans who will sign for 90 mins regardless of whether they’re winning losing or drawing. 

The partisan atmosphere in the main stand where they have a flag which reads ‘Luton Town FC - betrayed by the FA’ and singing ‘30 points who gives a f, we’re Luton town and we’re staying up’ 

I wouldn’t fancy it as an opposition player but it’s more the atmosphere generated as opposed to the old lady herself 

Surely you are talking about Portsmouth fans here?

Edited by The Real Buh

45 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The main difference is they don’t have a man like Webber purchasing players. 

No, the main difference is they aren't trying to play total-football and build a squad to play that style of football in the top tier of English football.

They know what they are and they play to their strengths, a bit like us under Lambert.

I don't think Luton are anything to look up to and they'll more than likely come down and be below us in a years time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, the main difference is they aren't trying to play total-football and build a squad to play that style of football in the top tier of English football.

They know what they are and they play to their strengths, a bit like us under Lambert.

I don't think Luton are anything to look up to and they'll more than likely come down and be below us in a years time.

So in essence you’re blaming Farke? Who signed the players to determine our style of play? 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

So in essence you’re blaming Farke? Who signed the players to determine our style of play? 

No I'd blame both. I'd also be interested to know that second Prem Season what the conversations were between the two. We signed players to play a 4-3-3 but Farke couldn't get it to work - did Farke disagree with that or could he not set up the team appropriately or?

The likes of Lees-Melou, Kabak, Gilmour, Rashica have all done well at other top 5 european league sides. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

No we would'nt. Because our defence at that level has always been crap and our players would not be mentally as strong as Lutons appear to be.

Appearances can be deceiving, are they mentally strong or are the the attackers this season worse than previous years, it's probably the latter.

Luton are having their day, good luck to them. Personally I preferred the team of Stein, Ricki Hill et al. We’ve basically been a well run community club too. In recent years we’ve overstepped and got burnt, but I see no reason why we cannot negotiate a way through; we’ve made a good start with Attanasio. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, essex canary said:

The first paragraph was surely the blueprint for ourselves 25 years ago. Perhaps we have kept it together to a degree, take Charlton as an example. Then again we haven't kept it together as well as we could have done through Non-Executives handing over too much power to here today gone tomorrow Executives.

The club hasn’t changed but unfortunately the expectations from the fans has 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Surely you are talking about Portsmouth fans here?

No definitely Luton mate 

matchday parking in Luton? Forget it. Get the train 

7 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

A solid team who work very hard with a couple of quality players ,

Barkley and Townsend are very good signings both a point to prove and look like they are enjoying their football 

i imagine both are on more money than the other players but they does not seemed to have rocked the boat as they are the best players ,

The rest are all mostly fit strong players with a bit of pace and no nonsense defending ,

i could not name most of their team but as a unit they all play well together and giving it a go well done Luton town FC 

That’s literally what happens at almost any club, I find the whole “we can’t break the wage cap for one player” argument at Norwich so bizarre, especially when as a club we pay higher than average Championship wages.

Two or three stars can very much make the difference between a poor team and a competitive one, it’s money worth spending.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That’s literally what happens at almost any club, I find the whole “we can’t break the wage cap for one player” argument at Norwich so bizarre, especially when as a club we pay higher than average Championship wages.

Two or three stars can very much make the difference between a poor team and a competitive one, it’s money worth spending.

It’s a risk as both at their age and especially Barkley are prone to injury however at this time it’s a risk that’s paying off 

3 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It’s a risk as both at their age and especially Barkley are prone to injury however at this time it’s a risk that’s paying off 

I agree it’s always a risk putting a bunch of the budget into 1or2 expensive players but the alternative is having no one of real quality and we’ve seen how that plays out.

16 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

There are probably fans of 70 other clubs in the football league who will be saying "why aren't we Luton?". 

The problem with holding up clubs as examples of really well run run clubs is that it only applies to the recent past and not necessarily the near future. I can remember when Charlton was held up as a great example of a well run club, now they are third tier regulars. 

I wouldn't say that we are badly run, I'd say that we are stale and in need of change and new ideas. There is room for that change to be very positive, but there are also many examples out there which show it could be negative.

With the Americans that are interested in our club you get the general sense that they are decent upstanding people, but so was Randy Lerner and when he got bored of throwing money at Villa and started reducing the budget every year they went backwards massively and got somewhat lucky that they had an almost world class talent coming through just as they hit the second tier.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hoggy, I told you to move on from your hero. Farke and Webber (lakey and hoggy)👍, 🤭🤣