Sign in to follow this  
jcutt35

Adam Idah

I'm sure he's a nice chap, and that there is a player in there (...we've all seen glimpses), BUT... he really needs a ROYAL kick up the backside! Someone in the club needs to get in his face and fire him up...and find some kind of deeper level of motivation. 

With his physical attributes he should be bossing defenders and smashing in goals. Imagine if Idah had half the tenacity and aggression of Grant Holt or Iwan Roberts, he'd be a challenge for anyone! Instead we have a player who looks like a rabbit in headlights sitting on a 100year contract. He looks like he's always thinking about what he should be doing. Instead just go and get stuck in, challenge, compete, sprint, shoot...leave EVERYTHING on the pitch!!! I've never felt so frustrated watching a player.

His performances epitomise our team, with a few exceptions.

Come on Adam, everyone wants you to do the business! OTBC

• Like 1

I was hoping Barnes would be the catalyst to an improvement in Idah. So far, there is no noticeable evidence that Idah is progressing or that Barnes has had any impact!

• Like 1

The one thing that confuses things for me is that each time he gets the ball he runs out wide instead of cutting inside or going down the middle.
I'm not sure if that is being coached or whether instinctive but it makes his job so much harder! 
I'd love to see him bullying defenders about and playing off the shoulder of the last defender! He is a big boy and clearly has some talent, just needs better coaching to unlock it.

I'm sure he has a big future in football and seems to enjoy the squad getting behind him!

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's better off the bench for me.

Personally, I'd leave you on the pitch!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

Personally, I'd leave you on the pitch!

LOL! Well roared, lion!

Seriously though, I think Idah's one of those like Hernandez - you're better throwing him on with twenty to go with fresh legs against tiring ones. Agree with @Andy G's observations that he should stay central more when out of possession/not pressing the defence. Just get stuck into their centre-halves and tire them - and make sure he's in the middle for crosses pinged in.

• Like 1

I agree that it looks as if he needs to get stuck in instead of trotting around in spaces waiting for the ball to come to him, which is the image I have of him for large parts of games. 

He had a spell under Dean Smith where he actually started running more directly at defenders - and it made him look much more effective, but that only lasted four or five games and then he was injured and he hasn't been like that since. That was quite a while ago, but Smith or more likely Shakey had spelled out to him what he needed to do. Could do with that being spelled out to him again, or if it has been, it plainly needs to be drummed into him more. 

There is a player there when everything clicks.....just need things to click.......

• Like 1

That said he has scored 5 times this season in 807 minutes e.g. better than a goal every other game in a struggling team.

• Confused 1

Don't disagree with the sentiment but can't help thinking we have bigger problems than that. Barnes looked absolutely crocked nowhere near fit, Hwang could well be extradited and Sargent isn't even back in training yet.

Then there's the small matter of actually giving Idah some service and for that he relies on the likes of Onel Hernandez who's worse than useless.

• Like 2

He has a decent goal-scoring record this season for his minutes on the pitch.

He could do with a bit of service.

• Like 1

Idah will never be the 15-20 goal a season striker we need. And he's not good enough with his off the ball work or assists to justify his lengthy contract.

Sincerely hope he proves me wrong. Can't see it though.

• Like 1

There are parallels with Chuba akpom who out of nowhere was the best striker in the championship last season. Someone rated highly but never fulfilled it suddenly has a red hot season and all of a sudden is a ten million pound player.

I would guarantee the minute he leaves the potential will be realised.

Plus are his numbers that bad this season a goal every 160 minutes plus a couple for Ireland. Injury problems seems to be behind him.

Edited by Ulfotto

The problem with Idah (as anyone who's encountered him driving or parking will testify) is that he's quite simply stupid. There's no amount of coaching that could teach him how, when and where to run.

He's got great physical attributes and a reasonable level of skill but he has no idea how to turn those things into success on the pitch. He virtually never gets assists because he can't work out how to play the simple passes in the final third. He might score 10 goals in the season but he's never going to improve the team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The problem with Idah (as anyone who's encountered him driving or parking will testify) is that he's quite simply stupid. There's no amount of coaching that could teach him how, when and where to run.

He's got great physical attributes and a reasonable level of skill but he has no idea how to turn those things into success on the pitch. He virtually never gets assists because he can't work out how to play the simple passes in the final third. He might score 10 goals in the season but he's never going to improve the team. 

Pretty much this. I wouldn’t like to call the guy stupid but as far as a “football brain” goes, there just doesn’t seem to be much going on. 

it’s a real shame because as many have said, his physical attributes are there in abundance, he just needs to figure out how to get himself out of first gear and get on the front foot in a game. Show some hunger and determination rather than saunter about letting the game pass him by.

He is VERY frustrating because you’re always left feeling like he just can’t quite get himself where he needs to be performance wise yet he should be doing it quite easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Idah needs a better coaching team and players around him, so that rules out Norwich.

100% agree Capt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Sadly I agree that he doesn't have anything like a footballing brain. He still gets continually caught offside, he doesn't have the vision to know what is happening around him on the pitch, and he wastes excellent positions because he needs that vital one or two seconds to decide what to do next. He is in many ways the very opposite of Pukki, who had almost no physical advantages but football intelligence in spades.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Sadly I agree that he doesn't have anything like a footballing brain. He still gets continually caught offside, he doesn't have the vision to know what is happening around him on the pitch, and he wastes excellent positions because he needs that vital one or two seconds to decide what to do next. He is in many ways the very opposite of Pukki, who had almost no physical advantages but football intelligence in spades.

Nail on the head. The man simply hasn’t got a footballing brain. He looks lost so much on the pitch and seems to surprise himself when he scores. 

25 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Totally agree with all that,and have said the same on here before. Just think he's not to bright and he has a problem taking on board information and acting on it.Lets be honest,the five year contract did'nt do him any favours really.Webber obviously thought that when he gave Idah that he was hoping he would go and get ten quick goals that season and someone with more money than sense would slap down a big offer.

Was never going to happen,and never will.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I wouldn’t like to call the guy stupid

You've obviously never encountered him on the road. 

Agree with many of the points made...

lack of service -yes

goals per minute... improving … but he should have had more minutes but either injured or not fancied by the manager. Wagner seems to prefer (a not up to speed) Barnes and Hwang over presumably a fully fit Idah.

Football intelligence - Luke Shaw was accused of similar a few years back, and he seemed to turn it around.

But his lack of aggression and tenacity is something that is most frustrating. Josh Sargent is a similar stature, but seems like the incredible hulk in comparison, a real handful for defenders.

By the way what car does he drive? I'll give him a wide berth if I see him 😄 

20 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Range Rover with personalised number plate

Last time I encountered him he was in a Mercedes G-class (with a very distinctive number plate) holding a mobile phone while badly negotiating a roundabout at great speed. 

• Confused 1

I’ll stake my limited reputation on the fact that Idah will be the new Roberts! He will come good and become a city legend! He has all the attributes of a good to great striker, just needs the right motivation and coaching to be a formidable striker! Employ me and il get the best out of Idah! I don’t come cheap! 😂👍

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Last time I encountered him he was in a Mercedes G-class (with a very distinctive number plate) holding a mobile phone while badly negotiating a roundabout at great speed. 

Oh yeah, mercedes 👍

Dysfunctional team, no pattern or consistency in the play, no control of possession, often the forwards are isolated, useless manager who can't improve players, no service, no pace around him, limited crosses, lack of confidence which is understandable throughout the team.    Even so, plenty he could do better but all strikers need service and support.    

The team is a shambles, he may show more promise and productivity in better circumstances.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

What’s the thing with his driving?

His driving is a perfect indication of his (lack of) intellect, as anyone who has seen him (attempting) to drive or park (usually diagonally across two disabled bays) will attest to.

I'm sure he's bright enough... to become a pro footballer you need a certain amound of intellect/football intelligence. Not.too concerned about his lack of driving skill, although maybe our Lotus partners can sort him out with a few lessons.