Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Webber’s Legacy

His legacy will probably be the advertising revenue taken by the Pinkun.  Can't remember so many posts about a club employee!

For me, his legacy would be sacking Farke. Not because a lot of us didn't agree with it, or how it was done but rather because of what happened next. We had no succession plan in place, didn't keep our footballing identity and completely destroyed everything that had worked up to that point. And all of that is ultimately what a SD should be judged on. If no bigger picture is in place, then why not just have a manager and do away with the SD role?

Unfortunately, but perhaps somewhat poetically, Webber's legacy will now be having built up a great success in rapid fashion and then almost as quickly throwing it all away. Somewhat breathtaking actually. He's done himself no favors.

Thanks for the training facilities and veggie garden though!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Webber

Someone needs to add the 'snakepit divorcees' comment to his controversies on wiki. 

I think that sadly, much of his legacy will be tarnished by the stupid remarks he's made.  Reading the one on the ladies game on there really doesn't paint him in a great light if he was coming in to your club and you read that.

Ultimately a failure in that we are in a worse position now then when he stepped through the door.

That said, as @king canary said, as a football supporter my two main priorities are enjoyment on matchdays and creating memories. On the memories front, that first title season under Farke was possibly my most memorable season. However, on the flipside, I've not enjoyed trips to Carrow Road any less than I have this season and last season, sadly, and I'm definitely not alone in that.

The apathy his tenure has created may end up his lasting legacy.

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Ultimately a failure in that we are in a worse position now then when he stepped through the door.

That said, as @king canary said, as a football supporter my two main priorities are enjoyment on matchdays and creating memories. On the memories front, that first title season under Farke was possibly my most memorable season. However, on the flipside, I've not enjoyed trips to Carrow Road any less than I have this season and last season, sadly, and I'm definitely not alone in that.

The apathy his tenure has created may end up his lasting legacy.

Yes I think Sutton said on Sunday that 'apathy is worse than anger' when it comes to your fanbase and I think he's right. You only have to look down to Ipswich to see- under Evans apathy had set in and a half full stadium was the norm. I was apathetic when Hughton was in charge and nearly chucked my season ticket in as going to watch us felt like a chore, even if we weren't as ****e as we were under Roeder or Grant. Different people have different tipping points though.

Saying that, Ipswich also show it doesn't take much to undo that apathy. A bit of fan outreach, some solid PR and, most importantly, some good results on the pitch. It doesn't have to be promotion but a sense that the club is moving in the right direction and pulling together. I think if Knapper can find an exciting, forward thinking appointment and we can start to see a style developing then I think fans will largely be back on board even if we finish 14th. 

Plus side he signed Farke,  negative side he sacked Farke. He could dish it out but couldn't take it back . Anyone who sacks someone the way they did Farke doesn't get my support. He really thought he was special.  

• Like 1

Thought he was so good he could do alone without Farke and Kieran Scott ,

Never Been as good without the other two but the others have gone on without Webber 

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Signing Pukki for free and of course signing Buendia too.

This doesn't count as a legacy because neither are still here and the former was entirely wasted by the inexplicable change in system in 2021.

We can all agree that there was a period of exceptional football with some incredible memories, but that's history not a legacy. A legacy is what's left afterwards, not the high points from his tenure but what endures after he's gone.

So, let's be honest about where we really are right now: the club is in a shambolic state from top to bottom. There's no leadership, no proper structure and no accountability. All the staff from behind the scenes who made the success happen have departed. The playing squad is a chimera: unable to function as a cohesive unit and lacking the skill to hurt other teams yet paid comparatively huge wages.

It would be great to be able to say that now comes a fresh start but the truth is we're on a downward spiral and no one can predict how far we still have to fall. The level of debt is unparalleled in this club's history while the balance between current wages and future income is alarming. Without parachute payments next year, our turnover is set to drop to its lowest level in more than a decade.

We don't know what will happen with the club's ownership but, without serious investment, the quality of the squad can only decline further. 

Webber’s hypocrisy will be his biggest legacy. He accused his predecessors of pissing the money up the wall but has gone on to spectacularly dwarf that previous profligacy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me I will never forget the first time we booted soccerbot up. It was a moment all at the club will remember with great fondness and marvel. The look of amazement on the faces of the players, finally after 30 minutes of figuring out where to plug the beauty in. 

Thanks Stuart, the joy you brought to us all with that remarkable machine, was similar to an African village getting fresh tap water for its inhabitants. 

All the best in your new role as CEO Betamax Video Europe. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some will plump for the huge existing debt, SoccerBot 360 or even the Colney allotment. What will be your cherished memories of Stu’s time at Carrow Road? 

Had he stuck to his guns and vision, his first four years were superb, who knows! But two promotions (Championship Wins) will always make him a decent SD……his meltdown and arrogance in response to the fans killed his true legacy! No doubting he’s been positive for us but ultimately now for what ever his reason is leaving us in a worse position than when he came! But in between two premier seasons and some great players through our club too! 

12 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

For me I will never forget the first time we booted soccerbot up. It was a moment all at the club will remember with great fondness and marvel. The look of amazement on the faces of the players, finally after 30 minutes of figuring out where to plug the beauty in. 

Thanks Stuart, the joy you brought to us all with that remarkable machine, was similar to an African village getting fresh tap water for its inhabitants. 

All the best in your new role as CEO Betamax Video Europe. 

It only cost £700,000 so I’m sure it’s more than paid for itself already. He could take it with him as a leaving present? 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It only cost £700,000 so I’m sure it’s more than paid for itself already. He could take it with him as a leaving present? 

Give it away? Not for me, it is the fabric of this club. I know it was a steal, but it's presence is priceless. Stuart gifted it to us, just like Jesus gifted his disciples stuff. Two martyrs. 

• Haha 1

He’s left the club with more debt than when he joined, and in a championship relegation battle.

That’s his last actions running this club.

Pretty clueless when it comes to sustaining success, two utterly atrocious attempts at competing at the top table. 

Got lucky with Pukki and Buendia, and Farke to an extent. Most of his other signings and all his other manager appointments are evidence of this. 

Terrible people skills. Alienated the fanbase and drove them to apathy. Narcissist. 

Edited by non-scoring strikers

...to have absolutely nothing to show for 2 promotions and 6 years of premier league money /parachute payments and leaving us with a worse,higher paid playing squad than the one he found...and the club in bigger debt

...oh ,we are building a swimming pool at Colney though....

To assess his legacy, I think you have to examine what you will remember about his time here looking back, and also if he has left the club in a better place than when he arrived.

I'll remember the two promotion seasons, particularly the first one, and some sensational late equalisers & winners. Some shrewd signings, e.g. Krul, and the Buendia/Pukki partnership. The bringing through of some exciting youth players. In truth, it'll be Farke I'll remember more fondly for these positives I'm sure.

And there's no doubt that the training infrastructure has been transformed which will surely be a big plus over the next 10/15 years. 

But we were an embarrassment in the Premier League following both promotions, particularly the second time around, after we swallowed the first relegation as part of a "plan." Even with our financial limitations which I accept as a huge hindrance, player trading for the top flight was a failure. Our reputation as a "yo-yo" club is now entrenched which will have ramifications in the future when(if!) we again achieve promotion. 

There have been very few positives since the sale of Buendia. As Fuzzar I think mentioned above, his straight talking was refreshing when things were going well, but have lacked tact & social intelligence given general frustrations due to the club's slide over the last couple of years. 

Is the club in a better place now on his impending departure? I don't share the vitriol of some of the comments above as there have been some great times. But for me, I think overall we are now in a worse place. The senior playing squad is somewhere around mid-Champo standard (similar to Webber's arrival) but are on crippling wages. The club now has to somehow service a debt which will require 3 or 4 "Maddisons" to keep the boat sailing while diminishing the playing staff. Communication has been poor, media-relations even worse, with rumours of unhappy staff behind the scenes & a general malaise among fans due to the atmosphere and lack of entertainment. 

It will of course come around again. Knapper has a hefty inbox to deal with. The next managerial appointment will surely be one with a track record of bringing through & nurturing the youth players (Farke!) because there sure as hell won't be much in the piggy bank. Part of Webber's philosophy is scouring for youth - perhaps we will get to see the fruits of some of his labour over the next few years as some more Warners/Fishers et al break through? 

Things look grim right now but we'll come again! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not far off our transfer spend for Farke's first season in the Premier League!

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not far off our transfer spend for Farke's first season in the Premier League!

And the player who cost that money is back with Farke at Leeds.

17 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...to have absolutely nothing to show for 2 promotions and 6 years of premier league money /parachute payments and leaving us with a worse,higher paid playing squad than the one he found...and the club in bigger debt

...oh ,we are building a swimming pool at Colney though....

To be fair, Webber is the only CEO / SD in my lifetime who's actually left something to show for our promotions. He's the only one who rather than take the selfish career-enhancing approach of gambling on safety that first prem season, banked the money and used it for significant, long-term upgrades on our academy infrastructure, scouting networks and facilities at Colney. 

Of course, that's not right-now-right-here-on-the-pitch so I get fans not wanting to acknowledge it. Hopefully we realise the benefits in years to come.

Both Doncaster and McNally left us with nothing to show, that can't be levelled at Webber.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2

The two promotions and Colney were great but the way Daniel Farke was sacked, the unprofessional way he dealt with fans and the parlous state of our finances and the quality of our squad are HUGE negatives and far outweigh the positives. Good riddance to a complete and utter arsehole.............

His legacy will be one of positives and negatives, yes. However as the negatives are all the most recent I suspect that is for which he will be remembered. Two excellent promotions to the Premiership, but two disastrous relegations back to the Championship. His glaring inability to make good on his aim to make Norwich a Premiership long term feature. The last two seasons of abject dross he has spawned with no clue as to how to improve. The squandering of resources and failure to give the Head Coach an effective squad. The  complete alienation of the fans and treating them with contempt by calling them names involving derogatory terms such as “divorcees”. His declaration that he was only prepared to devote 90% of his massive talent to the highly paid position with which he was entrusted . His refusal to leave having announced he did not want to be here and having resigned and so generating a rudderless Club for the last 8 months .His not even attending the last home game while the Club is in crisis, preferring to attend the Brazilian F1 Grand Prix. The fact that under his tenure Norwich City does not now have a squad capable of even beating Rotherham or being competitive in the top half of the Championship . The fact that financially the Club is in a deep debt crisis with no coherent plan for the future. After all his best efforts he leaves the Club in a worse state than when he joined, which is ultimately how he will be viewed and how he should be viewed. In my eyes he is an arrogant, uninspiring, failure and I personally will not be sorry to see him gone. And I did not even need to mention the lunacy of appointing Dean Smith nor the madness of appointing his old chum , Wagner, as Head Coach.

Edited by kenfoggo

3 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

His legacy will be one of positives and negatives, yes. However as the negatives are all the most recent I suspect that is for which he will be remembered. 

I suspect it totally depends on how Knapper performs.

If he performs worse than the end of Webber's time, then you can almost guarantee posters will point back to successes of Webber reign and be questioning why we can't achieve that again 🙂 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I suspect it totally depends on how Knapper performs.

If he performs worse than the end of Webber's time, then you can almost guarantee posters will point back to successes of Webber reign and be questioning why we can't achieve that again 🙂 

Very possibly true, but Webber has had his time and ultimately we are worse now than when he joined.  If there was a cohesive plan of how he would turn this crisis around and bring back those achievements, then I would be all for keeping him. But , then, he doesn’t want to stay and so should leave  with our thanks for the good times and our scorn for the bad times and the current mess he leaves behind.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

To be fair, Webber is the only CEO / SD in my lifetime who's actually left something to show for our promotions. He's the only one who rather than take the selfish career-enhancing approach of gambling on safety that first prem season, banked the money and used it for significant, long-term upgrades on our academy infrastructure, scouting networks and facilities at Colney. 

Of course, that's not right-now-right-here-on-the-pitch so I get fans not wanting to acknowledge it. Hopefully we realise the benefits in years to come.

Both Doncaster and McNally left us with nothing to show, that can't be levelled at Webber.

This is so one sided you’d honestly think Webber wrote it himself. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This is so one sided you’d honestly think Webber wrote it himself. 

It was in response to a poster saying we had nothing to show for the promotions which is quite demonstrably untrue. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it not true.