Name me another manager who would survive 6 wins in 23 matches with a team claiming to be a promotion pushing side? 

A good start to the season - now looking like a freak streak- has quickly given way to the same woeful results we saw at the end of last season. 

yes we have been unlucky with injury but that doesn’t explain playing Sara- our best creative and attacking force- defensively. It doesn’t excuse formulaic non sensible substitutions which always make us worse not better, it doesn’t explain a lack of plan B. It doesn’t explain a persistent lack of a CDM. Nor 3 years of underinvestment on the pitch and poor recruitment. Nor the loss of many disgruntled staff to Ipswich who are now flying.  Nor will it justify signing over the hill ageing players to fit into a system that requires enormous energy levels and fitness. 

For me it’s clear Webber needs to go this morning. As do the Smiths. We can thank them sincerely. What we don’t need is a ludicrously protracted process of hand over which is squeezing ambition out of the club as is now visible on the pitch. 

then the new owners and DOF can appoint a better manager and let the new era begin. Otherwise this form is going to see us fighting off relegation before long 

rant over 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Name me another manager who would survive 6 wins in 23 matches with a team claiming to be a promotion pushing side? 

A good start to the season - now looking like a freak streak- has quickly given way to the same woeful results we saw at the end of last season. 

yes we have been unlucky with injury but that doesn’t explain playing Sara- our best creative and attacking force- defensively. It doesn’t excuse formulaic non sensible substitutions which always make us worse not better, it doesn’t explain a lack of plan B. It doesn’t explain a persistent lack of a CDM. Nor 3 years of underinvestment on the pitch and poor recruitment. Nor the loss of many disgruntled staff to Ipswich who are now flying.  Nor will it justify signing over the hill ageing players to fit into a system that requires enormous energy levels and fitness. 

For me it’s clear Webber needs to go this morning. As do the Smiths. We can thank them sincerely. What we don’t need is a ludicrously protracted process of hand over which is squeezing ambition out of the club as is now visible on the pitch. 

then the new owners and DOF can appoint a better manager and let the new era begin. Otherwise this form is going to see us fighting off relegation before long 

rant over 

Depressing... relegation form 

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

rant over 

I wouldn’t thank the owners or the Webber’s, both should have gone by now to help move the club forward. 

38 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

rant over 

We've had 12 games this season. We've won 5 in 12. Just what is the point of counting games from last season?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Because the entire record is important. We see trends and can make fair judgements. Let me reverse the question for you- why just brush the appalling end of last season under the carpet and pretend it isn’t relevant? 

• Like 2

The point of referencing last season ???

Because it is the very same manager and the very same trend with a decent start followed by a complete falling from off the cliff edge. One win in nine is it this season? That on top of the dire finish to the last that's the point.

On top of that the man has had a Summer window to bring in his own players and therefore improve things.

Things seem just as bad.

Edited by BroadstairsR

47 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

that doesn’t explain playing Sara- our best creative and attacking force- defensively.

We are not numb nuts, that's why. As can be seen by his effectiveness we are playing him where he can hurt opponents.

• Like 1

You almost have to look at it from a different angle. Wagner has been far from great since his arrival and pretty much on par with Smith, albeit he is a little more likeable. Win the next two then we're back in the top six potentially or thereabouts, lose two I think the fanbase will of had enough. But then raises the question of who next in the hot seat...and some of the suggestions on here would be a laughable appointment, so I think personally I would stick with Wagner for the short short term.

23 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because the entire record is important. We see trends and can make fair judgements. Let me reverse the question for you- why just brush the appalling end of last season under the carpet and pretend it isn’t relevant? 

If you’re talking about Wagner’s entire record at Norwich how is you’ve only included 23 matches ?

I'm looking forward to the new sporting director actually improving the squad with effective signings and his take on the managerial performance and actually giving 100% to improve the club he actually wants to be at.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I'm looking forward to the new sporting director actually improving the squad with effective signings and his take on the managerial performance and actually giving 100% to improve the club he actually wants to be at.

Its a strange position for Knapper to be in and placed in charge, with Webber still about. We should say thank you to Webber and its time to move onward and upwards for the Knapperolution.

Edited by jaberry2

The scary thing is, since Farke was binned we’ve won a grand total of 26 games in 82 games! That’s a win % of around 29%! Oh as Lakey points out why some of us still have respect for and just shows how good Farke was!

• Like 2

Just now, Indy said:

The scary thing is, since Farke was binned we’ve won a grand total of 26 games in 82 games! That’s a win % of around 29%! Oh as Lakey points out why some of us still have respect for and just shows how good Farke was!

We seem to be stuck in this position of transition, with little improving on or off the field. I dont think the football has improved under Wagner compared to Smith. A manager regardless of injuries, this squad has the capability to achieve a playoff spot.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

We seem to be stuck in this position of transition, with little improving on or off the field. I dont think the football has improved under Wagner compared to Smith. A manager regardless of injuries, this squad has the capability to achieve a playoff spot.

I don’t think it has! This squad with all the players in their prime certainly might have done but far too many in the twilight of their careers means far less motivation in their performances as younger players give you! Experience is very much needed but youth energy and a mix has to be at the core! Two managers have tried since Farke and both look utterly clueless in the players and the system!

40 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If you’re talking about Wagner’s entire record at Norwich how is you’ve only included 23 matches ?

We all know why - because he's selectively quoting statistics to suit his agenda....................

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We all know why - because he's selectively quoting statistics to suit his agenda....................

It is selective, but it’s also factual.

Managers are only as good as their last games.

If you can take a point in time to now and come up with that record, especially over so many games, that’s pretty damning.

It's not a great record and apart from a dramatic turnaround when we get Sarge back I think we all know where it's heading.

From the outside looking in most reasonable fans would think we should still be there or thereabouts for the play-offs. Trouble is a deeper analysis of the squad and you think crikey we are going to have to shift a lot of players in the next year or so, primarily because they are simply too old and/or not good enough. It's a massive task for Knapper to oversee that.

We have a potentially strong starting XI but a lot of work is needed on the rest. Hopefully we will start this rebuild in January....

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The end of last season isn't important and completely irrelevant to where we finish up this season. Different squad makeup, no continuity given a change of manager part way through the season. That whole argument completely contradicts the notion of form. 5 of those 6 wins you mention were this season.

It's simply picking and choosing the most negative stats available.

21 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It is selective, but it’s also factual.

Managers are only as good as their last games.

If you can take a point in time to now and come up with that record, especially over so many games, that’s pretty damning.

Brighton haven't won any of their last 5 games - only managing to draw 2 of them - and conceding 13 goals in the process. Does that mean Roberto De Zerbi is a cr*p manager?

(And do our Cup games this season count in our stats or are they only to be included if we had lost them?)

I'm not really one for tagging stats from one season to another as there will be a summer period where there will be a transfer window and weeks of pre season training in between for a manager to implement tactics,signings etc moreso when its that manager's first pre season

However purely this season as a stand alone , he has to be on thin ice.

If he shows that he cannot stem the goals/chances being conceded ,it will ultimately do for him

He cant afford 2 more defeats this week

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Brighton haven't won any of their last 5 games - only managing to draw 2 of them - and conceding 13 goals in the process. Does that mean Roberto De Zerbi is a cr*p manager?

(And do our Cup games this season count in our stats or are they only to be included if we had lost them?)

I’m not saying what’s right, I’m saying what happens. There’s few managers who survive sustained runs of poor results, especially if performances aren’t good and they don’t have credit in the bank. 

You can debate what the number is, but some clubs have got rid of good managers on less than 10 games of results (again not saying it’s right, just pointing it out). One thing you can say though is 26 is a pretty big sample size.

Last season’s collapse- which saw us heading down at a rate of knots- could be written off if all were well. Only it isn’t. Once again we had a short summer of good results quickly followed by a total collapse of form and massive slide- when you then factor in very similar patterns in his last two appointments- only an idiot wouldn’t be worried. He’s a nice chap but quickly found out and lacks the flexibility to stop it when he is sussed out. Our stats in last ten are woeful 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Last season’s collapse- which saw us heading down at a rate of knots- could be written off if all were well.

Same problem last season, as now, we're struck with injuries.  You can't entirely blame the coach when he's having to play third choice and the squad depth is so thin.

Yes Sara further up the pitch would be ideal, but he's winning player of the month and team of the week even when we lose, in the position he's in.  I think while it would improve his personal effectiveness from an offensive/creative perspective, I think it would come at the overall detriment to the team, presuming you would play Gibbs or Forshaw behind?

A shallow squad once you peel away the first layer, we knew this, and we've had very **** luck being without team captain, both starting forwards and a promising wide man who was very much part of our plans this season.  And that's only to mention key players.

Personally I think it's case of digging in and not losing our minds, pointing blame and calling for heads.  Webber is already out the door and ultimately responsible for squad depth - ultimately, that's where the issue lies (imo anyway).

For anyone taking the OPs stat seriously its worth mentioning he started a very similar thread at the start of Farkes championship season after relegation.

Of course, we then won the title at a canter.

• Haha 1

A Good Manager would adapt his tactics to suit the players he has Available 

Wagner is playing the same way and expecting the same results ,