Sign in to follow this  
canarybubbles

No one is talking about Long

But yesterday starting going wrong when Long failed to deal with a fairly standard situation by his near post. If Gunn is out for a while, is he the best choice for our guy between the sticks? How about one of our youngsters or the Chilean guy? What do people think?

Cheap option to replace krul.  Simple really.  Milwall fans warned us. More worried about who scouted the on loan striker or did we just get him thrown into the forest deal with out even seeing him . 

• Like 2

It’s a good bet that we paid for Hwang by reducing Omo fee because we had no money. No Omo is not playing and we don’t have him. Stinker of a summer where we really downgraded the squad. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s a good bet that we paid for Hwang by reducing Omo fee because we had no money. No Omo is not playing and we don’t have him. Stinker of a summer where we really downgraded the squad. 

Sounds likely. I wish this incompetence would at least screw up Webber's future career, but it won't. For some reason people put faith in chancers like him. He'll get another post, start brilliantly, then crash and burn. Again and again. And get rich in the process.

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yep , but we got 20 million to balance the books and help the Webbers out . 

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Sounds likely. I wish this incompetence would at least screw up Webber's future career, but it won't. For some reason people put faith in chancers like him. He'll get another post, start brilliantly, then crash and burn. Again and again. And get rich in the process.

The thing is, if he'd had left before this summer then he would have at least left a squad with a reasonable amount of upside. By giving Wagner the experience he's basically made the next 2/3 years really hard for the club to navigate.

Just to emphasise, in his whole time at Huddersfield and Norwich, before this summer he had signed 1 outfield player over the age of 30 permanently. This summer alone he signed 4 (Fassnacht is 29 and turns 30 next month too), this is on top of awarding new contracts to 30+ players McLean and Hernandez. 

7 minutes ago, repman said:

The thing is, if he'd had left before this summer then he would have at least left a squad with a reasonable amount of upside. By giving Wagner the experience he's basically made the next 2/3 years really hard for the club to navigate.

Just to emphasise, in his whole time at Huddersfield and Norwich, before this summer he had signed 1 outfield player over the age of 30 permanently. This summer alone he signed 4 (Fassnacht is 29 and turns 30 next month too), this is on top of awarding new contracts to 30+ players McLean and Hernandez. 

He lost the plot the day he sacked farke,  the whole plan went out of the window. 

• Like 7

I'm prepared to give Long a bit of time. After all Gunn wasn't very good when he arrived. Having said that, we had Krull at the peak of his powers and first choice keeper, so Gunn had time. Even McGovern as back up

7 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

He lost the plot the day he sacked farke,  the whole plan went out of the window. 

I think it started before then. We know that for a long time he intended to leave in 2021 when his contract was meant to be up. I've no doubt he wanted to leave the club on a high and that's why in the summer of 20/21 we started to focus on the short term, instead of the sort of infinite game thinking we had demonstrated by doing very little business after our first promotion. The signings of Hugill and Gibson were examples of players who were more to safeguard promotion chances than give us a better shot of PL survival, similarly with Sorensen and Placheta, they were championship depth pieces who were never going to get the shot to be PL ready. Then you have the summer of 20/21 where we spend a lot of money to overhaul the squad, the early performances showed we were going down under Farke so he panicked and replaced him. Even last summer, a more long-term oriented person would probably have let Pukki go to give Sargent and Idah their chance, instead we kept him for another year, sold next to no one and spent against our parachute payments to bring Sara in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ooh look, a new scapegoat….nothing like giving a guy a chance, is there.

No, he's not a new scapegoat. If Gunn is going to be out for some time (and we don't know), then we have a choice about who takes over between the sticks.

EDIT: Obviously you and I don't, but the club do. And I think we have the right to discuss it, even if we can't do anything about it.

Edited by canarybubbles

I've not watched the goals back and I still don't want to, but at the game I thought he done alright coming on in difficult circumstances. I'm lower barclay so hard to see what happened for their first goal. 

He is even more reluctant than Gunn to come for balls crossed in though.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I've not watched the goals back and I still don't want to, but at the game I thought he done alright coming on in difficult circumstances. I'm lower barclay so hard to see what happened for their first goal. 

He is even more reluctant than Gunn to come for balls crossed in though.

He’s crap but will fit in well for this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hang on I thought it was Tony Springett was the knew scapegoat.

Just now, Ulfotto said:

Hang on I thought it was Tony Springett was the knew scapegoat.

There’s a big list now and it’s growing. At least Big Adam got a rest bite and he was his normal anonymous self again. 

The players have no experience with Long in the sticks for them in a proper game do they? I wouldn't be surprised if it shakes the player's confidence as much as the fan's confidence not knowing whether your goalkeeper is really up to it. Could that uncertainty about the goalkeeper have been part of the collapse after the first goal?

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hwang is only on loan unless I’m mistaken 

Thought long looked assured prior to the first Leeds goal, after that looked like a shower of s**t 

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

But yesterday starting going wrong when Long failed to deal with a fairly standard situation by his near post. If Gunn is out for a while, is he the best choice for our guy between the sticks? How about one of our youngsters or the Chilean guy? What do people think?

Is your view of Long based on just one, 60-min outing?  How do you think he did at Bristol?

Regarding other options, Barden & St Paul are injured with McCracken, Mair, Reyes & Rose currently out on loan.

As for the young GKs who are fit & available, they have no first-team experience and, I would guess, would only suffer if asked to perform in front of fans who are so keen to criticise every single failing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Thought long looked assured prior to the first Leeds goal, after that looked like a shower of s**t 

You still pay for a loan,  but I get what you are saying.  

7 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Is your view of Long based on just one, 60-min outing?  How do you think he did at Bristol?

Regarding other options, Barden & St Paul are injured with McCracken, Mair, Reyes & Rose currently out on loan.

As for the young GKs who are fit & available, they have no first-team experience and, I would guess, would only suffer if asked to perform in front of fans who are so keen to criticise every single failing. 

I didn't realise so many were out on loan. I guess it has to be Long in this case.

I have no strong view of him because like nearly all of us I haven't seen enough of him. I think he was at fault for Leeds' opening goal, but everyone makes mistakes. His positioning seemed questionable on a few occasions after that, but he wasn't used to working as part of our defensive unit and maybe his confidence had taken a knock after their opener. On the other hand, he got down very quickly to make an excellent save low to his right.

Millwall fans didn’t rate him and he was dropped last season after a string of errors. 

I don’t rate Gunn massively either, tbh. GK is an area that needed proper investment. Maybe the Reyes is the plan from next season. 

• Like 3

For the first goal the ball flashed across at fairly close range, he maybe should have blocked it and the look on his face suggested he thought he was at fault, not sure many keepers would have stopped the second and he was wrong footed for the third, he did make decent saves from James and Gnonto though.

It's far too early to say he's c**p and the club clearly think he's good enough.

I think you'd expect some deficiencies in his game considering he was dropped by Millwall and has had to settle for a backup job elsewhere.

Watching the highlights he's clearly a bit and fault for the first goal- it shouldn't squeeze through him like that- but nothing he could do for goals 2 and 3. 

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Millwall fans didn’t rate him and he was dropped last season after a string of errors. 

I don’t rate Gunn massively either, tbh. GK is an area that needed proper investment. Maybe the Reyes is the plan from next season. 

Agreed. Gunn is hopeless and is ridiculously overrated by many Norwich fans. We have never had a sustained run of good form with him as our number one, and it's not all down to the keeper by any stretch, but he's a big part of it. 

Keeper is definitely an area that needed - and needs - investment. 

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

Agreed. Gunn is hopeless and is ridiculously overrated by many Norwich fans. We have never had a sustained run of good form with him as our number one, and it's not all down to the keeper by any stretch, but he's a big part of it. 

Gunn is not hopeless. He's makes great saves from time to time and does well.. Sometimes. And that's the biggest issue he has.

He has no middle ground. He's either a good keeper who will save your team or he will just collapse and be poor.

13 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not a scapegoat, I posted on another thread that a keeper should not be beaten on his near post. He got beat on his near post leading to the Duffy og, unacceptable

10 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Well this is an overreaction if ever I have seen one. One of the better keepers in the championship. If you're critique players like Gunn you might as well boot our whole starting eleven out (which of course I cant blame you for).

11 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Gunn is certainly not hopeless. Whenever in the championship he's regularly in the top performing goalkeepers in the league.

11 hours ago, Yobocop said:

We can return Hwang to sender please, utter dross