Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Flooding

After missing about 4 games this season already, for strikes, engineering works and now weather, I feel it maybe time to give up my season ticket!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

October is well known for storms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1987

Coo, you’re very clever aren’t you. As I said, extreme weather events are becoming more and more regular - ie the gap between is getting less and less - so thanks for proving my point yet again. The really stupid thing is you don’t realise you’re doing it….but well done all the same.

Edited by Branston Pickle

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Coo, you’re very clever aren’t you. As I said, extreme weather events are becoming more and more regular - ie the gap between is getting less and less - so thanks for proving my point yet again. The really stupid thing is you don’t realise you’re doing it….but well done all the same.

So anyone who may slightly take issue with what you post is met by a barrage of insults. Well done. You must feel so very proud of yourself!

10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So anyone who may slightly take issue with what you post is met by a barrage of insults. Well done. You must feel so very proud of yourself!

What ‘barrage of insults’?!! I haven’t said anything I don’t stand by or would say to your face.  Sarcastically calling someone clever is hardly an insult - you must feel very proud of yourself for so readily playing the injured soul card.

You do seem to misunderstand the concept, though.  We have always had extreme weather events, so you can merrily point out the odd thing from 100 or 50 years ago.  But the whole point is that they are happening far more regularly. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Don't know if you're trolling or just being obtuse, but to deny climate change is happening with all the freak weather related events going on around the world is a very worrying attitude.

Agreed, fourth time this century Sheffield has suffered severe flooding, didn't have anything like it in the previous century. And the effects today are only not that "bad" because of tens of millions of pounds thrown at flood defences in past 10 years (Meadowhall in particular was saved today,  but it was a very close thing). I pity the poor people down river in Doncaster tomorrow when all the water currently passing through here hits them! 

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Agreed, fourth time this century Sheffield has suffered severe flooding, didn't have anything like it in the previous century. And the effects today are only not that "bad" because of tens of millions of pounds thrown at flood defences in past 10 years (Meadowhall in particular was saved today,  but it was a very close thing). I pity the poor people down river in Doncaster tomorrow when all the water currently passing through here hits them! 

We go up to Hebden Bridge neck of the woods fairly regularly, tonnes of money being thrown at defences in the Calder valley, but who knows if/how long they’ll work.  So far our friends up there are ok this ‘round’.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wet weather in Autumn? Never happened before clearly a sign of the end times

It’s called ‘climate change’ not ‘weather change’ for a reason. There is quite a big difference.

For instance, if someone now went the next several years posting on here 3-4 times a week, rather than their usual 30-40 times a day, that might be considered a change in their posting ‘climate’. You can’t deny that clear change just by pointing out a day or two where they didn’t post during times they posted more regularly, because those days are an exception to the overall trend of posting far too often (i.e. only a change in ‘weather’). Hope it makes more sense for you in Pink’un form.

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

October is well known for storms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1987

Agree re October storms but they usually come off the Atlantic, rattle through and do not always have a lot of rain. The current storm came up from Portugal, picked up a lot of moisture and has hung around for at least two days, dumping huge amounts of rain as it slowly traversed the country. As Branston has said the frequency of significant weather events is increasing......

• Like 1

Isn’t this an El Niño year, which is a regular event and affects global weather? 

For those travelling in from the A140 (Ipswich Road) there was a delay yesterday of about 30 mins due to single line traffic/ flooding in the dip just south of the Attleborough/Pulham roundabout near Cherry Lane.

I was working in Brighton yesterday and travelled back to Caister, didn't encounter a single issue. 

Someone in my team lives in Diss & his local school 200 pupils had to stay overnight. 

I think generally if you're driving from South you will be fine - fingers crossed for all coming from afar 🤞 

Decided to switch to Tuesday’s game instead - we couldn’t originally come and had settled for missing one of the two games.  Hoping the trains will be back to normal.

Climate change is a contributer no doubt, both man made and natural. I would say the biggest man made contribution to the mass flooding we've seen in recent years is the reduction in river bed dredging.

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

What ‘barrage of insults’?!! I haven’t said anything I don’t stand by or would say to your face.  Sarcastically calling someone clever is hardly an insult - you must feel very proud of yourself for so readily playing the injured soul card.

You do seem to misunderstand the concept, though.  We have always had extreme weather events, so you can merrily point out the odd thing from 100 or 50 years ago.  But the whole point is that they are happening far more regularly. 

If you read your post you used the word 'stupid' in my direction. I would have thought in most peoples world that would be categorised as 'an insult'? Clearly not in Branston world. 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Over what time scale?

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/niu_tornado_frequency_study#:~:text=After removing non-meteorological factors,affect very small geographical areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunwich

Even in my lifetime I can remember some pretty extreme events (winter 1963. I also remember a satellite picture of the USA showing the whole of the centre being one big lake).

Climate changes are exceedingly difficult to separate from weather. You need a period of several thousand years to say much of any significance.

Edited by ron obvious

10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

If you read your post you used the word 'stupid' in my direction. I would have thought in most peoples world that would be categorised as 'an insult'? Clearly not in Branston world. 

Really? Two things: that’s certainly not a barrage, and was very much indirect.  But hey, play the victim all you like.  

On 20/10/2023 at 19:16, CANARYKING said:

Bound to affect the gate tomorrow, trains in a mess, villages still cut off. My route to Norwich has three closures at the moment.

Probably biggest crowd of the season. Leeds end rammed, not that many empty seats anywhere?

8 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Over what time scale?

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/niu_tornado_frequency_study#:~:text=After removing non-meteorological factors,affect very small geographical areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunwich

Even in my lifetime I can remember some pretty extreme events (winter 1963. I also remember a satellite picture of the USA showing the whole of the centre being one big lake).

Climate changes are exceedingly difficult to separate from weather. You need a period of several thousand years to say much of any significance.

Yes you need thousands of years to spot natural variations in climate but this is happening far more quickly than that.

I remember harsh years too but now we hardly have winters at all let alone anything like 1963. 

My grandchildren have never seen laying snow - snow that hangs around for a several days without melting. That happened every year pretty much without fail when I was a lad. Just one generation. It’s changing far more rapidly than the time scales that could be accounted for by natural variation.

I’m afraid there are too many people who don’t want to face up to the changes needed to slow this down because it will make their lives less comfortable and will cling to any argument that means they don’t have to. 

• Like 2

On 20/10/2023 at 19:53, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wet weather in Autumn? Never happened before clearly a sign of the end times

Another once in a decade storm here already. Whatever can be causing this one? 

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Another once in a decade storm here already. Whatever can be causing this one? 

download.jpeg

On 20/10/2023 at 20:48, Hairy Canary said:

Seem to be happening more often. I wonder what might be casing it? 

Continuing idiocy mostly.

On 21/10/2023 at 21:11, Hairy Canary said:

Yes you need thousands of years to spot natural variations in climate but this is happening far more quickly than that.

I remember harsh years too but now we hardly have winters at all let alone anything like 1963. 

My grandchildren have never seen laying snow - snow that hangs around for a several days without melting. That happened every year pretty much without fail when I was a lad. Just one generation. It’s changing far more rapidly than the time scales that could be accounted for by natural variation.

I’m afraid there are too many people who don’t want to face up to the changes needed to slow this down because it will make their lives less comfortable and will cling to any argument that means they don’t have to. 

...and the changes are happening quicker than the worst case scenarios of just a few years ago. I think it's best to face the reality no matter how scary it is. Believe me the future we face is very scary, but we can make the outcome a little less hideous if we actually take our heads out of our backsides and do something.

• Like 2

Just now, Cowboy said:

...and the changes are happening quicker than the worst case scenarios of just a few years ago. I think it's best to face the reality no matter how scary it is. Believe me the future we face is very scary, but we can make the outcome a little less hideous if we actually take our heads out of our backsides and do something.

Well you won’t get anything of use out of the current govt - sadly found their niche in appealing to motorists and the next king’s speech (7 Nov) is going to be full of it. Boris was a grade A **** bit at least appeared to get it, Sunak just wants votes when what’s needed is a cross-party approach.

• Like 1