Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Flooding

Bound to affect the gate tomorrow, trains in a mess, villages still cut off. My route to Norwich has three closures at the moment.

Think it’s meant to ease this evening and the forecast for tomorrow is ok, so travel issues should ease.  I’m on the train from London at 10, all being well.

Any climate change deniers should certainly note what’s been going on in recent weeks…

The A47 between Honingham and Easton has been closed all day and it still is. That's going to be a ballache for a lot of fans if that doesn't reopen, I'm sure. 

The rain seems to have stopped in the city now though and the forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be better, so hopefully there aren't too many problems.

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Think it’s meant to ease this evening and the forecast for tomorrow is ok, so travel issues should ease.  I’m on the train from London at 10, all being well.

Any climate change deniers should certainly note what’s been going on in recent weeks…

Wet weather in Autumn? Never happened before clearly a sign of the end times

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wet weather in Autumn? Never happened before clearly a sign of the end times

If you were to ever leave your back bedroom you would notice that it is more than 'wet weather'. But as I suspect you rarely venture out there would be little to measure against.

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Just some perspective......................

https://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/article/the-great-flood-of-1912/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RobJames said:

If you wrre to ever left your back bedroom you would notice that it is more than 'wet weather'. But as U suspect you rarely venture out there would be little to measure against.

Yeah, it's called a storm. Very rare, never happen.

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seem to be happening more often. I wonder what might be casing it? 

• Like 1

Plenty of impassable flooded   roads in Suffolk today, reminded me of my childhood, when rivers often blocked the roads to school and the teachers ‘ went on’ about the coming ice age and all eastern ports would be frozen. 

12 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

4 minutes ago, Sheva said:

Plenty of impassable flooded   roads in Suffolk today, reminded me of my childhood, when rivers often blocked the roads to school and the teachers ‘ went on’ about the coming ice age and all eastern ports would be frozen. 

These two posts don't go together..

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bet you are happy the earth is flat, helps the water run off the edge I guess.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How so? Happens more often doesn’t mean it never happened before!

• Like 1

Unfortunately some in the red areas thought like @cambridgeshire canary that it was all a joke and would be no worse than previous storms and decided not to evacuate. Now costing hundreds of thousands to rescue them from their houses.

I think the 1912 flood was caused by both gale force winds causing a tidal surge and extreme rainfall. Storm Babet is out of the ordinary for the UK in that yes we expect storms in October but they normally come in off the Atlantic, Storm Babet came up from Portugal bringing/picking up lots of moisture. I am not getting into the debate of whether Storm Babet was caused by climate change as I have no idea, but it certainly not your typical October storm...............

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d expect trains out of Liverpool St to Norwich to be infested with more than the usual number of away knuckle-draggers. There’s a rail replacement bus to Norwich from Peterborough so more will probably opt to travel via London instead

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don’t make me explain why they do 

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Yeah, is there an equivalent to the arsonists that caused all the forest fires this summer? Can’t be related to anything else that’s happening.

Made the drive up from Buckinghamshire tonight to my parent's in Lowestoft. No major issues, there was a lane closed on the A11 near Wymondham due to flooding and avoided the A146 as that was apparently bad in places, but the A47 from Norwich to Lowestoft via the Acle Straight and Yarmouth was fine.

Hopefully trains will be running again tomorrow so I can have a few pre-match beers!

I think all roads out of Mulbarton are closed. 

The B1113 between Swardeston and Keswick resembles a river. 

All a bit annoying, I'd been looking forward to this game. 

No trains from London at the moment because of flooding at Stowmarket. Worse still you are deposited in Ipsh*t with no way of getting out!

It does seem trains are cancelled beyond Ipswich, due to flooding around Stowmarket, but there’s been no time to sort out bus replacement services…will have to drive or not come.  The annoying thing these days is the fight to get a refund… 

Edited by Branston Pickle

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't know if you're trolling or just being obtuse, but to deny climate change is happening with all the freak weather related events going on around the world is a very worrying attitude.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It does seem trains are cancelled beyond Ipswich, due to flooding around Stowmarket, but there’s been no time to sort out bus replacement services…will have to drive or not come.  The annoying thing these days is the fight to get a refund… 

A lot of buses are tied up ferrying people around the engineering works between Peterborough and Norwich.

I’ve found refunds easier to get than they used to be but hopefully a lot of people travelling from London will have bought the £20 return tickets which makes it a little less painful if you have to jump through too many hoops to get one.

I was ment to be travelling up by train today from Kent, but thats up the spout 😞 Luckily im friendly with ticket man at Gravesend so he had no issues giving me a full refund.. better than nowt.