cambridgeshire canary

McLean; The worst performance he's seen

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23809611.norwich-city-kenny-mclean-blasts-6-2-plymouth-loss/

Well, he's not lying and he sure has been with us through some dross before. Question is will this spur on a response? He is our new captain after all. 

Wouldn't like to be in the dressing room that's for sure. Suppose this is a good chance to see if he's all talk or if he does start taking responsibility and act like the captain he's supposed to be

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Maybe the worst he’s seen, but after decades of supporting this club I can assure him I’ve seen much worse unfortunately 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Maybe the worst he’s seen, but after decades of supporting this club I can assure him I’ve seen much worse unfortunately 

Snap

• Like 2

The problem I have with McClean is that he only plays well when the team plays well. A captain should take hold of the game when things are difficult and make a difference. He goes missing and points around, as he has done for the last 2 years.

• Like 1

It was too reminiscent of last season post blackburn games.  The real worry is that last season it was all blamed on inexperience and lack of leaders,  yest the main culprits were those experienced players who were spectacularly bad, both those already at the club and who were missing last season,  and those bought in on v hefty wages.

Mistakes happen, being beaten by a hungrier team who earned their 50 50 challenges wins is one thing, having a team that didn't have the balls nor leadership to respond isn't.

Edited by ZLF
Sp
  • Like 1

I have seen worse when we have won. But he is right. We don't know what is said in the dressing room but hopefully players do single each other out after a bad display. There is collective responsibility but also individual incompetence should be addressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Indeed!

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Plenty here, too. 

I see he's taken on the Russell Martin role of 'fronting up' when they drop a stinker. Let's hope it actually leads to a change rather than what used to happen after Martin did this.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I see he's taken on the Russell Martin role of 'fronting up' when they drop a stinker. Let's hope it actually leads to a change rather than what used to happen after Martin did this.

It's always the crap players who do this. Hoolahan never had to 'front up' as he did his talking on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It's always the crap players who do this. Hoolahan never had to 'front up' as he did his talking on the pitch.

It more that they were both captains. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That’s more than a little bit wrong.

to be Honest Mclean came out and said it honestly ,

i do not think you can blame Mclean if team is set up wrong ,

i have and others have pointed out playing 2 in middle is a dangerous game 

Plymouth must have thought they have set up exactly how we wanted them to ,

a real CDM would cut out most of the problems we have ,

i am more concerned about Wagner and his tactics than Mclean 

• Like 1

The players don't choose who goes out. They don't put themselves forward. It's in the contracts. It's another ridiculous concept of the modern game. The long pauses are more to do with thinking hard about what they've been coached to say. Occasionally you get a bit from the heart as Russ did but he was a bit daft to do that. Just like players and coaches are daft to talk to fans after a bad defeat. Just hold your hands up and get off asap.

What could they say that would make everything ok?

He should be given a DVD of our 07/08+08/09 season and then the Colchester debacle... that'll cheer him up 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

to be Honest Mclean came out and said it honestly ,

i do not think you can blame Mclean if team is set up wrong ,

i have and others have pointed out playing 2 in middle is a dangerous game 

Plymouth must have thought they have set up exactly how we wanted them to ,

a real CDM would cut out most of the problems we have ,

i am more concerned about Wagner and his tactics than Mclean 

"a real CDM would cut out most of the problems we have"

The last one we had was Skipp. Tettey prior to that. We all know that for some bizzare reason our club seems to think we don't need one.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"a real CDM would cut out most of the problems we have"

The last one we had was Skipp. Tettey prior to that. We all know that for some bizzare reason our club seems to think we don't need one.

That is the most worrying thing most clubs have them why we are different ,

it seems a bit like that at the moment ,

we all were excited thinking this season we will get a sitting CDM nothing 

then we all were crying out for a replacement for Sarge we get Hwang not nothing but close to it ,

Apparently Plymouth just ran through our midfield and then through our defence over and over. That points to the core of our team and Kenny is one.

Kenny has been guilty of not tackling being too slow etc. before and he needs someone far more mobile along side him. Sara isn’t that person.

Sara needs to play in the Steipermann role further up the pitch to protect our midfield and defence. Forshaw can come in to stiffen up the midfield. 

Whether you think it is the worst is largely irrelevant and Kenny is right to call it out, but of course he was part of it.

More to the point it was on Wagner's watch and I'm struggling to understand why he allowed the game to be so lost before he changed anything. 1st half subs are allowed!

25 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

then we all were crying out for a replacement for Sarge we get Hwang not nothing but close to it ,

I don't understand why we then seemed to use Hwang as a replacement for Barnes. Idah should be the replacement for Sarge. Hwang his cover to use off the bench. I'm hoping yesterday's set up was a squad rotation exercise but even then I can't get my head around it.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't understand why we then seemed to use Hwang as a replacement for Barnes. Idah should be the replacement for Sarge. Hwang his cover to use off the bench. I'm hoping yesterday's set up was a squad rotation exercise but even then I can't get my head around it.

yes in a Perfect world the back-ups should be close to the same style of strikers they are replacing ,

i think they might be a reason why we struggling because Idah plays a little like sarge with less energy ,

But Hwang hard to say but his style is like neither ( Barnes or Sarge ) so how he slots into the side is hard to see

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

yes in a Perfect world the back-ups should be close to the same style of strikers they are replacing ,

i think they might be a reason why we struggling because Idah plays a little like sarge with less energy ,

But Hwang hard to say but his style is like neither ( Barnes or Sarge ) so how he slots into the side is hard to see

Idah plays in his own style. With Sarge out Idah is our top striker. We should play to his strengths. 

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Idah plays in his own style. With Sarge out Idah is our top striker. We should play to his strengths. 

Yes i thought it was a shame for the boy he scored two yesterday but overshadowed by 6-2 result he did his job ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Hwang’s not fit so we won’t see the best of him for several games yet. 

Just now, Jersey Canary said:

Hwang’s not fit so we won’t see the best of him for several games yet. 

I don't doubt that's true. So why start him yesterday?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I don't doubt that's true. So why start him yesterday?

We didn’t have a lot of choice if Wagner wanted to play two up front.