dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

On 10/09/2023 at 18:28, nutty nigel said:

Brilliant thread!

So many memories.

The bridge used to open a lot and Nortwich was quite a busy port. My nan used to have her hair done on Thorpe Road and while she was there my grandad would take me to have a look at what was gorn on up riverside. The big ships would be there with cranes unloading often timber but coal too. The ships would then turn where the wide corner bit of the river is. (I guess it has a name!) and the bridge would go up to let them back. I always hoped the bridge would be up...

I've got lots of pictures but can never find them (not mine but pics I've saved for reminiscnce.) There is this one..

688628773_portofNorwich.png.1ecdd0e9cb6d09c603423ef2bf71ee9a.png

And this link has some great 'then and now' pictures...

https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/thenandnow4.html

I remember it well.  My dad sometimes took a pile of old newspapers to Warmingers on Ber Street, who used to pay for waste paper by weight, before heading down towards the river.  There was always suffen gorn on.  One Saturday the bridge got stuck open at about 1pm on a matchday, both fans and players were marooned on the King Street side, it was chaos. 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

875666719_MainStand(CityStand)Fire1986(2).jpg.a61ba61e3371527b27b2b0282528b557.jpg

And, finally, one of the burnt out City Stand in 1986.

1984, I think, and that looks like the first game afterwards, in which we beat QPR 2-0.

Jolly Maltsters was the pub with the outside **** house, good for a quick slash before the match. Recall a rowdy little punch of Chelsea in there pre one night match, could of been the semi ‘fog’ one or replay.

The Kingsway was  allegedly a fence in the   80’s, lived opposite for a short time, so could leave at 2.50 and home by 5!

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can't help too much with identifying anybody @nutty nigel other than it is @Kathy bottom right.

No, I've never owned a Lizz Truss hat and I'd be as tall as those blokes. Cant help sorry.

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can't help too much with identifying anybody @nutty nigel other than it is @Kathy bottom right.

Brian,Brian, Reg, Stan, Stan, Brian, Reg, Reg, Brian, Brian's wife (not Kathy) and Stan (maybe, could be Reg.)

Window. Brian, Reg, Reg, Brian, Stan and Peter (?).

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

I know I should have copyrighted that photo of Coppell taking the corner at the River End but I'm glad it's out there for all to see.  Probably one of the best footie photos that I have taken, albeit with a cheap film camera at the end of the 70's!  Glad I captured the old River End as I first remember it (apart from the old payment gate between it and the pre-seated South Stand).

Wow. I didn't know that. That's brilliant.

I did nick that Steve Coppell image for a post I put on a Facebook page which was about the picture of the River End (above)

I am happy to go back and credit you 👍

55 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Wow. I didn't know that. That's brilliant.

I did nick that Steve Coppell image for a post I put on a Facebook page which was about the picture of the River End (above)

I am happy to go back and credit you 👍

No probs - I think I  originally put it out there on the Geograph website where images can be shared freely.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

1984, I think, and that looks like the first game afterwards, in which we beat QPR 2-0.

There goes the old senility again - I stand corrected.  It was the QPR match on 27 October 1984.

• Thanks 1

As the fire of 1984 has been mentioned....

and before anybody asks no not a relation.

Edited by TIL 1010

On 10/09/2023 at 18:28, nutty nigel said:

Brilliant thread!

So many memories.

The bridge used to open a lot and Nortwich was quite a busy port. My nan used to have her hair done on Thorpe Road and while she was there my grandad would take me to have a look at what was gorn on up riverside. The big ships would be there with cranes unloading often timber but coal too. The ships would then turn where the wide corner bit of the river is. (I guess it has a name!) and the bridge would go up to let them back. I always hoped the bridge would be up...

I've got lots of pictures but can never find them (not mine but pics I've saved for reminiscnce.) There is this one..

688628773_portofNorwich.png.1ecdd0e9cb6d09c603423ef2bf71ee9a.png

And this link has some great 'then and now' pictures...

https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/thenandnow4.html

This brings back a memory of mine. Many years ago, I was at an orchestra practice in one of the warehouses in King Street that backed on to the river. One of these large boats came past the window. It seemed to take up the whole river, like you could step on it from one side and climb out the other. I had the idea to blow my trombone directly at it, imitating a ship's hooter. I thought it was funny at the time, but it caused mayhem on the ship, people running backwards and forwards looking to see what had made that horrendous noise and what they were going to collide with.....

Edited by lake district canary
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

There goes the old senility again - I stand corrected.  It was the QPR match on 27 October 1984.

If I remember correctly, the sponsors of QPR at the time was Guinness & Guinness gave QPR a load of Guinness to give to the builders/demolition men who were working on the City Stand. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This brings back a memory of mine. I was at an orchestra practice in one of the warehouses in King Street that backed on to the river. One of these large boats came past the window. It seemed to take up the whole river, like you could step on it from one side and climb out the other. I has the idea to blow my trombone directly at it, imitating a ship's hooter. I thought it was funny at the time, but it caused mayhem on the ship, people running backwards and forwards looking to see what had made that horrendous noise and what they were going to collide with.....

Great story! This is a long time ago, but I used to scull on the river, a bit downstream from the city centre, around Whitlingham, and these boats woud hove into view. Strictly speaking steam should have given way to oar-power but of course one had to head for the bank as quickly as possible...

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2023 at 10:13, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Many thanks for sharing this, the bridge opened more recently than I thought. The story re TS Lord Nelson passed me by, but a quick search reveals she ended up as a cafe in Melton boatyard near Woodbridge, seems a bot of a sad end............

Glad I could share some information !
Not much of a sad end IMO though. It's still floating and still in use.
Unlike the sad demise of the Golden Galleon that was in Yarmouth as a day trip boat after seeing service in WW2 but then sadly ended up being scrapped.

• Like 2

Boulton and Paul’s Riverside Works 1939, just before it was bombed in the Blitz. The stadium of Norwich City FC can be seen to the right

IMG_0524.jpeg

Edited by Peregrine Shorts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This brings back a memory of mine. Many years ago, I was at an orchestra practice in one of the warehouses in King Street that backed on to the river. One of these large boats came past the window. It seemed to take up the whole river, like you could step on it from one side and climb out the other. I had the idea to blow my trombone directly at it, imitating a ship's hooter. I thought it was funny at the time, but it caused mayhem on the ship, people running backwards and forwards looking to see what had made that horrendous noise and what they were going to collide with.....

That's a great story Lakey. And you describe perfectly how big those ships were coming into the City. The river must have been dredged regularly. They'd surely get stuck if it was tried today.

Do you still play the trombone?

23 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

An aerial view, mostly Boulton & Paul

IMG_0524.jpeg

Love this. You can see how narrow Carrow Road was between the Main Stand and Boulto & Paul's. If it was a 30,000+ crowd it was certainly a tight fit. You could almost lift your feet and be carried to riverside!

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Love this. You can see how narrow Carrow Road was between the Main Stand and Boulto & Paul's. If it was a 30,000+ crowd it was certainly a tight fit. You could almost lift your feet and be carried to riverside!

I'd forgotten about that. Small steps and God help anyone trying to walk towards the Barclay! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

That's a great story Lakey. And you describe perfectly how big those ships were coming into the City. The river must have been dredged regularly. They'd surely get stuck if it was tried today.

Do you still play the trombone?

I try, but it still sounds a bit like a foghorn........

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2023 at 09:51, TIL 1010 said:

It was Stan Springall who was the father of our very own @Crafty Canary and @Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?.

Shutterstock_5767815a.thumb.jpg.f365fb400f65e84a074cfa40ca4337c2.jpg

The old supporters association was an important contributor to club funds in the days before money flooded in from TV worlwide contracts. They paid the fee for Gerry Howshall from WBA (£40000) and contributed to several other player signings. The roof or the corner infill between the South Stand and Barclay was funded (fully or in part I’m not sure) by the NCFSA. Tangible, another brother and I ran the club shop in the rebuilt City stand for quite a few seasons before the club took it over. Dad loved the club and was a good friend of Geoff Watling which gave me the occasional opportunity to travel with the directors to away games. Happy days long lost to the influence of the influx of money in the game.

• Like 7