Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

I am really starting to dislike Newcastle fans

First it was them waving Saudi flags and what not and now anytime anyone tries critising Saudi Arabia they get this. Remember when all Newcastle fans did was cry about a fat bloke who ran a a giant retailer and their club? And yet they get rid of him and bring in a murderous dictatorship and now many of their fans are ok with that? Huh?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Whether its right or wrong, the league allowed okayed the takeover, so i see the toon army fans pov, of them getting it in the neck yet there are owners who no doubt treat people and the planet with other such disregard and Draconian measures, or there are others who own gambling companies that destroy peoples lives or whatever! This PIF fund hate is just thr flavour of the month, i imagine chelsea fans and roman had a similar shake down by people (or prehaps he innocently and angelicly made his fortune - who knows or cares, it was accepted by the league)

Maybe a better, more well directed stance would be to protest against whoever let them take over, they would have had the facts/due diligence and still okayed it, or were they not thinking sports washing.

The other thing @cambridgeshire is out of interest, where do you stand about supporting Norwich city, should we get taken over and had millions and millions pumped.into us by pfi or simular?

@Cambridge Canary

What is sports washing? I like to categorise the clothes when hanging them out to dry but it's really more of a personal game to me rather than a sport. 

• Haha 3

I'd stop supporting the club if they took over us. Their government's human rights record is disgusting and I have absolutely no respect for their twisted interpretation of their religion that justifies it in their minds. Most likely they don't bother to justify it to themselves anyway, it's just a means to avoid being critisised and widely condemned in how they exert control over their population and keep themselves in positions of extreme wealth and power. People always tip toe around it worried that they'll be accused of being at best culturally insensitive or at worst a racist, but for me there's no moral equivalence between insulting a powerful institutions interpretation of their religion and executing LGBT+ people or being complicit in the slaughter of migrant workers alongside all the other cr4p they get away with, let them get away with evil because you don't want to offend them...not even slightly comparable. Appeasement gets you nowhere.

I used to quite like Newcastle but the way they've embraced Saudi money has really tainted my opinion of them. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Interestingly Saudi Arabia play South Korea in Newcastle next week. Will it be like a home game for them?

NCFC might be Saudi owned one day, never say never. Only a matter of time before the Saudis also own the feeder clubs that supply the EPL, which supply the Saudi League.

I don't get why Chinese backers or previously the Russians or any other Arab backed clubs, get the same grief. None of them are hardly squeaky clean in regards to human rights. There are plenty of other dodgy owners and backers elsewhere.

• Like 1

The irony is that they vilified Steve Bruce for having committed the heinous crime of previously managing Sunderland,  yet danced in the street when taken over by people that bombed babies in Yemen and butchered a journalist.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I don't get why Chinese backers or previously the Russians or any other Arab backed clubs, get the same grief. None of them are hardly squeaky clean in regards to human rights. There are plenty of other dodgy owners and backers elsewhere.

They probably did to some extent. The difference I see is that it's the Saudi government, not Saudi individuals, that own it. 

I hate to say it, but all countries are complicit in the wrong doings of other countries. We have sold arms all over the world to governments that are dubious to say the least, including Saudi Arabia. Heck, we've even sold arms to Russia. So for me, it is a much bigger problem than just complaining about Saudis taking over Newcastle.

Some, or even most Newcastle fans might be liking what happens, but really, this is the way the world is going and ordinary people have to highlight these issues frequently and noisily until the powers that be take notice. Changing them won't be easy, as they are all in the power/money hierarchy that runs the world, but we can at least make them feel uncomfortable. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Selective ownership. Which ones do our Government lackey to. Oh yes, the House of Saud.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Selective ownership. Which ones do our Government lackey to. Oh yes, the House of Saud.

Probably all of them but maybe the House of Saud more in very recent times.

Perhaps we should be asking deeper questions of where Attanasio's Crescent Group invests it's money? Generally there may be no issues, but I'm sure someone can find a company they have invested in that have done something morally dubious. 

That is not to say by all means criticise clubs like Newcastle, just be prepared for dirt being thrown back.

7 hours ago, NFN FC said:

What is sports washing? I like to categorise the clothes when hanging them out to dry but it's really more of a personal game to me rather than a sport. 

Try shorts and shirts at 40C but jockstraps will defo need a 60C wash .............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Perhaps we should be asking deeper questions of where Attanasio's Crescent Group invests it's money? Generally there may be no issues, but I'm sure someone can find a company they have invested in that have done something morally dubious. 

That is not to say by all means criticise clubs like Newcastle, just be prepared for dirt being thrown back.

But that is like worrying whether the 1972 Munich terrorists learnt to boil an egg by reading Delias book.

10 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd stop supporting the club if they took over us. Their government's human rights record is disgusting and I have absolutely no respect for their twisted interpretation of their religion that justifies it in their minds. Most likely they don't bother to justify it to themselves anyway, it's just a means to avoid being critisised and widely condemned in how they exert control over their population and keep themselves in positions of extreme wealth and power. People always tip toe around it worried that they'll be accused of being at best culturally insensitive or at worst a racist, but for me there's no moral equivalence between insulting a powerful institutions interpretation of their religion and executing LGBT+ people or being complicit in the slaughter of migrant workers alongside all the other cr4p they get away with, let them get away with evil because you don't want to offend them...not even slightly comparable. Appeasement gets you nowhere.

I used to quite like Newcastle but the way they've embraced Saudi money has really tainted my opinion of them. 

I agree …

very wise words indeed 

otbc

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 12:36, shefcanary said:

Perhaps we should be asking deeper questions of where Attanasio's Crescent Group invests it's money? 

BK8, didn’t you know?

On 09/09/2023 at 10:23, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Very well said.

On 09/09/2023 at 10:23, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We can all agree with much of what you said. But we are all hypocritical and I doubt any of us refuse to fill the car up with fuel originating from Saudi Arabia. And even if you stopped supporting the club it would just be a personal thing. It would take mass demonstrations outside CR for it to become meaningful.

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And even if you stopped supporting the club it would just be a personal thing.

I’m Spartacus