Looks like Nunez has crocked himself playing for Chile overnight....stretchered off and on crutches with a serious looking ankle injury. Frustrating as it looks as though it happened in the last minute.

Not that we were playing him - didnt even bring him on at Rotherham ...but our midfield options significantly weakened.

22 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Looks like Nunez has crocked himself playing for Chile overnight....stretchered off and on crutches with a serious looking ankle injury. Frustrating as it looks as though it happened in the last minute.

Not that we were playing him - didnt even bring him on at Rotherham ...but our midfield options significantly weakened.

That's fair enough, but according to an article in today's PinkUn Wagner thinks that the player is unlucky and "deserves to start."

Awful news if it is as serious as it sounds, especially on top of Sargent's injury.

sorry! formatting went crazy, message reproduced below

Edited by horsefly
formatting at pinkun seems to have gone mental

59 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well that's us stuffed then. Oh wait, we have the delights of the old crocked Leeds reject to look forward to!

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well at least we have the fully fit and never Injured Foreshaw to replace him

Forshaw is a CDM and not the obvious replacement for Nunez. That would surely be Gibbs, who came on as sub against Rotherham and looked very good.

• Like 2

At this rate, by mid-December when our annual injury crisis usually reaches its peak, Reyes will be in goal, only 7 named on the bench, 3 of which will be goalies, and Steven whittaker signed as a free agent to play as first choice midfielder. Oh wait, no room in the 25. Never mind, he can come in in Jan.

1 hour ago, Calle said:

Thought Gibbs looked good when he came on, and would probably have him infront of Nunez.

I also thought Gibbs did well when he came on against the Millers....I would have brought him on earlier....

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Forshaw is a CDM and not the obvious replacement for Nunez. That would surely be Gibbs, who came on as sub against Rotherham and looked very good.

Agreed Gibbs did look good although played totally out of position as we slung over a load of aimless crosses! Point is that a Nunez absence seriously weakens midfield creativity. It was bizarre beyond any reasonable comprehension for Nunez to be left on the bench last Saturday only to have the manager then come out and say how wonderful he is and should be starting! 

With 13 players away on international duty of some kind we were always likely to pick up an injury. I'm far from convinced by Nunez anyway in this league; nice little cameos here and there but never commands like Sara does.

On a positive front we're closer to having Sainz and Hernandez available, which frees up and creates options. Hwang may prove useful, we shall see.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

With 13 players away on international duty of some kind we were always likely to pick up an injury. I'm far from convinced by Nunez anyway in this league; nice little cameos here and there but never commands like Sara does.

eh  ?

We will probably have 15 playing "on club duty" next Saturday.

Are we "always likely to pick up an injury" there ?

On average, the more games players play, the greater the risk of injury. This was a meaningless game, which will undoubtedly now mean the absence of one of our players for some weeks/months.

National teams have any numbers of players to call upon, we don't.

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

eh  ?

We will probably have 15 playing "on club duty" next Saturday.

Are we "always likely to pick up an injury" there ?

On average, the more games players play, the greater the risk of injury. This was a meaningless game, which will undoubtedly now mean the absence of one of our players for some weeks/months.

National teams have any numbers of players to call upon, we don't.

Eh?

Well we do seem to pick up injuries; Hanley, Sainz, Sorensen, Hernandez, Sargent

I'm sure the game wasn't meaningless to Nunez. Let's hope he's the only one we lose.

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Don’t worry, we still have Kenny.

Supposed to be out for several weeks with an ankle sprain. With the reports about it (stretchered off and on crutches) I feared it was a fracture or ligament damage and he would be out for months. Not good but at least it’s not too bad. Fingers crossed the rest of our players on international duty all come back in one piece though. I think the friendly between Scotland and England might give the likes of Gunn and McLean some practice against PL opposition

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Unbelievable. 

I feel from Warner’s recent comments, he was due some game time. Only player remotely close to Sara in terms of game winning ability.  

Not sure about that…. Wagner has to keep his players on board with kind words but when your 2-1 down to ‘Rotherham’ (no disrespect meant) and needing a change of approach, some creativity, something to make a difference and you don’t throw Nunez on, that begs questions about how influential Nunez is considered at this level and it doesn’t bode well for him.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not sure about that…. Wagner has to keep his players on board with kind words but when your 2-1 down to ‘Rotherham’ (no disrespect meant) and needing a change of approach, some creativity, something to make a difference and you don’t throw Nunez on, that begs questions about how influential Nunez is considered at this level and it doesn’t bode well for him.   

His form up until November last season shows he has more than enough for this level. He lost his way a little, and has never had a run of games since. 

Nunez has immense talent. Wagner needs to find the correct formula to unleash it. Remind yourself of that free kick at Hull. 

20 hours ago, mrD66M said:

I remember Nunez's first couple of months for us. What happened to that guy?

Yeah I can’t a remember another player who has started so strong but faded so badly. It is almost like David Nielsen. Last season I got the fact he joined half way through the South American season so was faded as he was knackered not helped by playing during the World Cup break for Chile.  This season he has really had a chance but I was surprised he did not come on against Rotherham as he is capable of creating something from nothing.

Personally I not sure anyone knows what his best position is. Personally I would like to see him in a wide position with a overlapping full back.

So far this season Wagner has done very well with athletic players but he doesn't seem to trust more technical types (e.g. Nunez, Mumba, Tzolis) whose strength does not lie in their physical condition. I know you can point to Sara as an exception, but he's also got some physical strength, especially stamina, and doesn't purely rely on his technical skill. In that sense he reminds me a bit of Buendia, although I doubt if he will ever get to that level.

As for what Wagner has done so far, we can't complain and we have to trust him, but I worry where the creativity will come from if Sara gets injured, especially now Nunez is out for quite a while.

How is Nunez supposed to play consistently well, when he has never had a constant run in the team. If you are starting one week and then out of the team for the next 3 games it is hard to find any kind of form. 
Has everyone forgot that volley against Birmingham at home, the technique for that! I’m pretty sure if he was given a run in the team in AM he would start to get good numbers in terms of goals and assists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

His form up until November last season shows he has more than enough for this level. He lost his way a little, and has never had a run of games since. 

Nunez has immense talent. Wagner needs to find the correct formula to unleash it. Remind yourself of that free kick at Hull. 

I’m afraid it doesn’t sadly!   It may well have been that he had inspiration coming into a new league (a strong desire to do well) but over time it’s found him out….. English football just might be too intense for him.   He needs more time on the ball and is struggling to adapt!

Not saying that is the case but it might be and seems to be at present.

Hope I’m wrong.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

We seem to have a few players coming up short because they need a run of games. Nunez, Idah, Sorensen for example. You can probably add Placheta, Sainz and Hwang to the list for the future.

I'm not sure what the answer is though and Wagner has to balance winning games with player development. 

We know he has qualities at this level but individual moments of brilliance aren’t going to get you in the team as they are not guaranteed and teams can’t carry players awaiting those moments!     He needs to show consistency and influence over a full 30 minutes, then 60, then 90 minutes.   In his position, he needs to control games. 

Quoting goals against Hull or Birmingham fails to appreciate that players need to offer more than individual moments.

30 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We know he has qualities at this level but individual moments of brilliance aren’t going to get you in the team as they are not guaranteed and teams can’t carry players awaiting those moments!     He needs to show consistency and influence over a full 30 minutes, then 60, then 90 minutes.   In his position, he needs to control games. 

Quoting goals against Hull or Birmingham fails to appreciate that players need to offer more than individual moments.

So a player is expected to come on for 5 minutes or no minutes at all (R’ham) and control a game?

So individual moments of brilliance don’t help you getting in the team? When Nunez plays, we hardly “carry him awaiting those moments”.

If he played more regularly those moments would happen much more frequently. As for controlling games, I would say Central Midfield is where a game is won and lost, so much more important for a Sara or McLean to control the game. Nunez playing in AM is all about flair, technique and creativity which he has in abundance.