Sign in to follow this  
bringbackchippy

Knighthood for England women team!

On TV they say people are calling for the England team to be knighted!

Why do they deserve that? It's farcical.  My Grandaughter scored the winner on Sunday, a screamer, top corner. I'm gona ask if she could have one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Emma Radacanu was knighted for winning the US Open, for "services to tennis" and it was a great achievement and inspiration for British tennis. Likewise, the ladies football team have won the Euros and got to a world cup final and have been great for womens football, so by that criteria, there is a strong argument for it being officially recogised.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Emma Radacanu was knighted for winning the US Open, for "services to tennis" and it was a great achievement and inspiration for British tennis. Likewise, the ladies football team have won the Euros and got to a world cup final and have been great for womens football, so by that criteria, there is a strong argument for it being officially recogised.

Technically it would have been a damehood rather than a knighthood, but she was actually given an MBE.

They didn’t win, and if they had you wouldn’t make the entire team Dames. Maybe MBE’s with a higher honour for the captain and manager (provided she’s eligible being foreign, I’m not sure the rules)

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

They didn’t win, and if they had you wouldn’t make the entire team Dames. Maybe MBE’s with a higher honour for the captain and manager (provided she’s eligible being foreign, I’m not sure the rules)

Yeah, agree with this. Not all of the '66 team were knighted, so I think it's a bit odd to suggest the whole team should become Dames even if they had won. And I don't think Sarina Wiegman would be eligible, I believe you have to have citizenship of a Commonwealth country to be given honours.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, agree with this. Not all of the '66 team were knighted, so I think it's a bit odd to suggest the whole team should become Dames even if they had won. And I don't think Sarina Wiegman would be eligible, I believe you have to have citizenship of a Commonwealth country to be given honours.

And to be fair given that none of the royal family bothered to attend the final (Not even William who's the president of the FA..) I would be surprised if they even go so far as to even mention the match happened at all

2 hours ago, bringbackchippy said:

Which TV? Who are these people who are calling for it?

3 hours ago, bringbackchippy said:

Why do they deserve that? It's farcical.  My Grandaughter scored the winner on Sunday, a screamer, top corner. I'm gona ask if she could have one!

The Mens cricket team were awarded honours just for beating one team in a best of 5 game.

Surely even you must accept that the women's football team being world cup runners up is more worthy than that? Especially given the impact that has had across the whole country.

(Of course, they dont all come from the same upper class and privately educated sector of society so it is unlikely!)

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The honours system is obscene. Scrap it. Footballer versus volunteer lifeboatmen? Joke.

Lifeboatmen are awarded Distinguished Service Medals or even the George Cross - not really comparing like-with-like. 

A Knighthood for a lifeboatman would probably be for services to the Charity behind it. Judging by the play acting and rolling around in theatrical pain on most EPL/EFL matches I doubt a George Cross would be appropriate. An Oscar maybe....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

The Mens cricket team were awarded honours just for beating one team in a best of 5 game.

Surely even you must accept that the women's football team being world cup runners up is more worthy than that? Especially given the impact that has had across the whole country.

(Of course, they dont all come from the same upper class and privately educated sector of society so it is unlikely!)

Nice to show your ignorance. None of that England cricket team were knighted* and very few are remotely upper class.

If handing out gongs, the football team should get MBE’s or similar.  They’ve done a great job of representing their country and it is what such awards are for. 

*Edit - I suppose I should add ‘at the time’ to stop the obvious reply about Strauss, though I’m not even sure you’d be aware of him and he was knighted in 2019.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Which cricket team are you referencing, there have been several Ashes series, I remember the 2005 team received honours.

If it was the 2005 team I would disagree about the label of 'upper class and privately educated sector of society', that team included Andrew Flintoff, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Paul Collingwood, Ashley Giles, Geraint Jones, Simon Jones and Marcus Trescothick, none of them were privately educated.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

She received an honour though, which is what I was referring to.

You did very clearly say she was knighted. She wasn’t, not even the female equivalent - she has an MBE which is about right.

37 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Which cricket team are you referencing, there have been several Ashes series, I remember the 2005 team received honours.

If it was the 2005 team I would disagree about the label of 'upper class and privately educated sector of society', that team included Andrew Flintoff, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Paul Collingwood, Ashley Giles, Geraint Jones, Simon Jones and Marcus Trescothick, none of them were privately educated.

I am indeed referring to the 2005 and said they received honours (MBEs not knighthoods).

Must admit probably showing my own bias in relation to their class! BUT even on above basis that means c50% were privately educated against an average of c7% for the population as a whole! To suggest the social demographic of cricketers is comparable to footballers is not true.

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I am indeed referring to the 2005 and said they received honours (MBEs not knighthoods).

Must admit probably showing my own bias in relation to their class! BUT even on above basis that means c50% were privately educated against an average of c7% for the population as a whole! To suggest the social demographic of cricketers is comparable to footballers is not true.

I've listed 10 players from a squad of 13, you might consider re-working your %'s.

I've worked for 37 year doing a fantastic job. I'm lucky if I get a thankyou, and don't even get a gold watch anymore. I'll never get an honour. And yet I have gone above and beyond in my service duty for 37 years!! If I get a pat on the back I'm thankful!

And yet a sportsperson has one good tournament these days and they get honoured. Yes they inspire people, but it is their job and they earn more money than most of us can ever dream of.

Radacanu was a strange one. Yes, incredible achievement in the US Open, but hasn't got anywhere near sustaining that level since.

The Lionesses are a stronger case. Definitely honour them for winning the Euro's, but I disagree with a knighthood, and moreso you shouldn't really get an honour for "not" winning a tournament. It was a great run, but I don't recall the men getting honours when we lost the Euro's.

31 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I've listed 10 players from a squad of 13, you might consider re-working your %'s.

Not sure what private education you received but by my comp school maths you named 8 out of 13 so still 38% against average of under 7%...... and you're also ignoring the fact of who runs the entire sport and the sexism and racism that has been highlighted recently (but that's probably a whole other thread!)

According to Google there are 15 people connected to football that have received a knighthood. Even if you gross up for other sports I suspect the overall number is low compared to other industries including entertainment.

Why did Keir Starmer receive a knighthood for just doing his job as a lawyer?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

She received an honour though, which is what I was referring to.

Hmmm. Not really Lakey. You said Knighthood, which is about as wrong as you can get.  

However, on the basis I'm not going to get a Knighthood, a Damehood , or any form of BE , we can let it rest here if you like. 

26 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I've worked for 37 year doing a fantastic job. I'm lucky if I get a thankyou, and don't even get a gold watch anymore. I'll never get an honour. And yet I have gone above and beyond in my service duty for 37 years!! If I get a pat on the back I'm thankful!

And yet a sportsperson has one good tournament these days and they get honoured. Yes they inspire people, but it is their job and they earn more money than most of us can ever dream of.

Radacanu was a strange one. Yes, incredible achievement in the US Open, but hasn't got anywhere near sustaining that level since.

The Lionesses are a stronger case. Definitely honour them for winning the Euro's, but I disagree with a knighthood, and moreso you shouldn't really get an honour for "not" winning a tournament. It was a great run, but I don't recall the men getting honours when we lost the Euro's.

We get offered a handshake and photograph with the chief executive after 25 years, fcuk that. To be fair for working in a red zone during the pandemic everyone got a £5 Iceland voucher so who am I to complain. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We get offered a handshake and photograph with the chief executive after 25 years, fcuk that. To be fair for working in a red zone during the pandemic everyone got a £5 Iceland voucher so who am I to complain. 

A colleague of mine received a certificate for 25 years service, awarded to "insert name here" from his boss.

49 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Probably because you are on the Pinkun during the day 😉

• Haha 3

To be fair, the reasons schools where they play cricket produce more cricketers than schools where they don't play cricket, might not be entirely because of the payment of fees.  Obviously the clubs produce cricketers as well (Jimmy Anderson, for example) but playing at school has a big part to play, and few state schools play it nowadays.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

The honours system is obscene. Scrap it. Footballer versus volunteer lifeboatmen? Joke.

Depends on context though. These young ladies have done a lot through hard work and doing well at their jobs to raise the focus of women in football that will help change the landscape for generations of young ladies to come. That's taking nothing away from volunteer lifeboatmen (and women) whatsoever, who regularly risk their lives saving others. It's just recognising a different type of honour.