I watched the match this afternoon and thought the disallowed goal was wrong and the penalty at the end was wrong too. Seeing it on the highlights tonight, it was more than soft, the attacker totally bought the penalty - and surely the ref should have seen it. The disallowed goal was totally wrong too, a perfectly good goal.

Yeah, I know we maybe had the rub of the green a bit last week, but that penalty decision on top of a good goal being disallowed was so poor by the officials. I get that refs have a hard job, especially when players are so good at cheating, but he really should have seen the Southampton player was already going down - and really the disallowed goal ought to prompt a complaint to the authorities imo - no excuse for getting that wrong. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately the most consistent thing in the championship is poor officiating. Get used to it though cos it ain't getting better in a hurry

• Like 1

Having just seen the highlights, I think it was a penalty. Very soft, but we'd have been screaming for it if it was the other way around. 

Which brings me to my next point, when are we going to start getting given some of these? We must be in double figures of penalty shouts just like the one given against us today, not given for us since the start of last season. 

"Offside" goal I haven't seen but I've heard that was a definite mistake.

Haven’t seen any of the game. Just watched it on the wireless. It seemed we were hard done by overall.

Not much been said on here yet…

I can’t understand why the ref didn’t go and check on the disallowed goal - it looked fairly clear from the play that it wasn’t offside, so I’d have expected him to check who/where.  Instead, they took a quick free kick and had a dangerous attack that shouldn’t have happened.

Edit: I’m surprised no one has mentioned their first goal and the foul on Stacey - looked totally clear to me, as mentioned by Wagner.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

Interesting that DW has no problem with the second penalty.  Fwiw, I agree with him. Yes, the Soton player went down easily but Dimi gave him the opportunity to do so. 

Offside call does seem a mistake from what people are saying. I couldn't tell on my stream. But refs and assistants are going to make mistakes, it's part of the game and I think you just get on with it. Better that than VAR, in my view.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I can’t understand why the ref didn’t go and check on the disallowed goal - it looked fairly clear from the play that it wasn’t offside, so I’d have expected him to check who/where.  Instead, they took a quick free kick and had a dangerous attack that shouldn’t have happened.

Edit: I’m surprised no one has mentioned their first goal and the foul on Stacey - looked totally clear to me, as mentioned by Wagner.  

Depends what you mean by check as VAR isn’t a thing in the championship 

Just now, wr4sb said:

Any idea what our defenders were appealing against on Southampton's 1st goal?

It was a blatant shove in the back on Stacey - very clear and I was astonished we didn’t get a free kick.

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Depends what you mean by check as VAR isn’t a thing in the championship 

I mean check who:where the offside was, obviously.  With var he’d have no choice, they’d be checking it for him.

Edit: as Nutty says, when you consider the effort taken to discuss with the lino for our winner last week, it’s the least we could expect.

Let’s all hold our hands up, got lucky last week and fcuked over this week. That’s football, no crappy VAR and we move on to Millwall next weekend (who we always beat) Already more excitement in two matches this season compared to the ‘Bore Fest’ 22/23 campaign. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Let’s all hold our hands up, got lucky last week and fcuked over this week. That’s football, no crappy VAR and we move on to Millwall next weekend (who we always beat) Already more excitement in two matches this season compared to the ‘Bore Fest’ 22/23 campaign. 

Agree with this 

to give a free kick for Stacey would’ve been soft to say the least 

didnt see the pen for Southampton as switched over to MOTD 

29 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Agree with this 

to give a free kick for Stacey would’ve been soft to say the least 

didnt see the pen for Southampton as switched over to MOTD 

It was a complete stonewall shove in the back from my view in the ground - it seems only people to see it were the players/Wagner and me!  Absolutely certain foul.

Edit: incidentally, the distinct lack of decisions going our way from the ref was clearly getting to the players (for example their first pen came from a dubious free kick down our left, right in front of the lino who gave nothing; Dimi was not impressed) - we had pretty much our first f-k on the half hour and something was clearly (and quite reasonably) said by Kenny, who got a stern talking-to (he had already been booked). 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I watched the match this afternoon and thought the disallowed goal was wrong and the penalty at the end was wrong too. Seeing it on the highlights tonight, it was more than soft, the attacker totally bought the penalty - and surely the ref should have seen it. The disallowed goal was totally wrong too, a perfectly good goal.

Yeah, I know we maybe had the rub of the green a bit last week, but that penalty decision on top of a good goal being disallowed was so poor by the officials. I get that refs have a hard job, especially when players are so good at cheating, but he really should have seen the Southampton player was already going down - and really the disallowed goal ought to prompt a complaint to the authorities imo - no excuse for getting that wrong. 

Yeah couldn't agree more still if things even themselves out we'll get results unfairly and I'll love that that, so many positives to take from  this we've proved theres goals in this side otbc

The offside goal should have stood, and I don’t think it was a foul in the buildup to the first penalty as it looked like a dive. Got no problems with the second penalty, it was soft but I’d be annoyed if it wasn’t given at the other end 

Gianoullis, who had otherwise had an excellent game, had no reason to 'back' that player.

He had a brain f-rt.

Stupid things have stupid consequences.

Surely he should know by now that the slightest touch like that on an attacking player in the area will lead to such a massive over-reaction that the referee could well be incapable of interpreting correctly.

The Greek is a professional footballer, a defender. He is not some witless attacking player helping out in defence and liable to rashness.

Stupid play which spoilt an otherwise impressive performance.

Irrational actions happen all the time though in football, why do they do it? Some apportionment must be given to it resulting from the pressure of the moment. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Gianoullis, who had otherwise had an excellent game, had no reason to 'back' that player.

He had a brain f-rt.

Stupid things have stupid consequences.

Surely he should know by now that the slightest touch like that on an attacking player in the area will lead to such a massive over-reaction that the referee could well be incapable of interpreting correctly.

The Greek is a professional footballer, a defender. He is not some witless attacking player helping out in defence and liable to rashness.

Stupid play which spoilt an otherwise impressive performance.

Irrational actions happen all the time though in football, why do they do it? Some apportionment must be given to it resulting from the pressure of the moment. 

He put no pressure or force on the Southampton player and he went down like he was shot like a sniper, what a joke proud to be a Norwich fan tonite.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What was lucky about last week? It was a good performance and the xg backed up that we were superior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I hope you were not watching one of those ill eagle streams that some pious chap was whining about before the game. I did put up a link when the first link (someone else) went down temporary.  I was rather shocked to see that over 300 had clicked onto that link. As the chap said, all that money we are ripping off the club. I hope you and others will have it on your conscience when the club goes into bankruptcy.

Otherwise, what a game. A few mentions. Sargeant, what he lacks in finesse, he makes up for in fitness and aggression. Well taken goal. Onel.  Stick him in the middle. Becoming a real ball winner. Passback, just like in the video an excellent first time strike after getting into the box just at the right time. Stacey, what a superb cross. Lovely lob over the defenders. Much as I liked Max, I think we have found a cracking replacement. Gino another top performance. He's been coming on in leaps and bounds over the last few weeks (though I wish he would just run onto the pitch like the others).

Another day and we would have won it. Deservedly so as well. The two games so far take me back to the Lambert days of sounding the charge and throwing everything at them to get another late goal or two. A real full bloodied effort. And a real pleasure to watch, ahem.... listen to  🤤

The refs have got their tails up and need an attitude readjustment. Every little mistake needs to be jumped on to a ridiculous, basically comedic level.

Indeed having seen the highlights, very soft penalty and not sure Barnesies goal should have been chalked off! Definitely one which you take a point but a three was there! Unlucky but so much more to take from this start to last years! The squad looks more fit and united, certainly more organised, just a shame we still make mistakes In defence regardless of the combination of players!

9 hours ago, splutcho said:

From the replay I didn't really think it was a foul. The players certainly thought so though.

My view too but difficult to see on ITV2+1 non HD 

Southampton 1st goal no issue, definitely no foul on Stacey 

Southampton 1st penalty, no issue it's handball 

Disallowed goal, should have stood, understand why it wasn't so I do get that mistake being made. 

Southampton 2nd penalty, this is the one I'm angry about, shocking decision,  I've looked on Southampton social media and general consensus from them is they got very lucky with this one.

• Like 1

No issue with their first goal, Stacey needed to be better than Max there!

VAR would have probably ruled our goal out last week but allowed it this week.

Their 2nd pen was soft but I doubt VAR would have overturned it.

Officiating in all leagues is pretty poor and in England's game yesterday. Part and parcel of football.

32 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Southampton 1st goal no issue, definitely no foul on Stacey 

Southampton 1st penalty, no issue it's handball 

Disallowed goal, should have stood, understand why it wasn't so I do get that mistake being made. 

Southampton 2nd penalty, this is the one I'm angry about, shocking decision,  I've looked on Southampton social media and general consensus from them is they got very lucky with this one.

Re the 2nd penalty, watched the highlights last night and just watched the highlights posted by Cambridgeshire, it is interesting that the unbiased commentator suggested that "it looks like the right back did his best to manufacture the penalty" and I agree. That all said the ref does not have the benefit of multiple slow motion replays that is why when applied as it should be VAR is a good thing. I think we have to chalk it down to the great football experience, Hull thought they wee robbed last week, we thought we were  robbed this week and hopefully Millwall will think they were robbed next week..............

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No issue with their first goal, Stacey needed to be better than Max there!

VAR would have probably ruled our goal out last week but allowed it this week.

Their 2nd pen was soft but I doubt VAR would have overturned it.

Officiating in all leagues is pretty poor and in England's game yesterday. Part and parcel of football.

If VAR was applied properly I think there is a very high probability the 2nd penalty would have been over turned, as the commentator suggested Walker-Peters looks to have manufactured the penalty...........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

The second penalty was a penalty all day long. It’s soft and a players mistake. 

The disallowed goal is the real issue. Goal scored in second phase of play. Officials clearly don’t understand the law. Especially given that the cut back from sarge was coming backwards…. Initial offside wasn’t interfering with play. 

That was the shocker for me. Unsure why there’s such uproar for a soft penno we would have screamed the Barclay down for, but not for the clear and obvious disallowed goal.