Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Coventry making money money money

Interesting to see. Few months back they sold Gyokeres to Sporting for €20 million and now they're about to sell Hamer to Sheffield United for £15 million. Both good players mind but neither with real major top flight experience.. 

And meanwhile we are selling Aarons who was once touted for between 20 and 30 million, has played plenty of games in the top flight and the England under 21's for whats said to be around 7 to 9 million. 

Isn't money getting funny?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting to see. Few months back they sold Gyokeres to Sporting for €20 million and now they're about to sell Hamer to Sheffield United for £15 million. Both good players mind but neither with real major top flight experience.. 

And meanwhile we are selling Aarons who was once touted for between 20 and 30 million, has played plenty of games in the top flight and the England under 21's for whats said to be around 7 to 9 million. 

Nah its just norwich being norwich 

Comparing attackers/attacking midfielders with full-backs with less than a year remaining on the contract will lead to some odd conclusions.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because we opted to utilise the player rather than cash out when his stock was high, which provided us with 2 seasons in the prem league and 2 titles in the championship.

While it's unfortunate how the past two seasons went and have caused his value to drop, I wouldn't want to be Coventry in this comparison personally.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Nah its just norwich being norwich 

Nah it's the market being...the market.

We generally have got exceptional prices for our players when you look at what they've gone on to do / not.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nope - it’s called having a basic grasp of football finances and knowledge 

We’re talking about a player in the last year of his contract who plays in a defensive position, granted he should have a premium based on his nationality being English however this is not always a prerequisite. 

It’s a nice try Cambridgeshire but this post must go down as a ‘must try harder’ in the ‘let’s beat Norwich City with a stick’ stakes. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A bit of a meltdown on this Coventry forum....

bedwetters-here-only.152197

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/bedwetters-here-only.152197/

Hamer is far more influential to them than Max is to us, in fact we already have a replacement.

Both hamer AND Gork leaving doesn't exactly fill me with confidence on their behalf

Then again given how much of a fincial basket case Coventry has been recently they should be happy they are getting some cash I suppose

14 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Hope they go down. 

This rather counts against the idea that we should be building for the future. Cov were within penalties of the EPL and now have lost their two key weapons. Rather than the promised land this looks like a long hard season that could see them fall through the trap door to League One. Although @Midland Canary has been assuring us that they are showing the ambition we should be demonstrating.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Both hamer AND Gork leaving doesn't exactly fill me with confidence on their behalf

Then again given how much of a fincial basket case Coventry has been recently they should be happy they are getting some cash I suppose

To what end? 

them and Sunderland had an unexpected great season last time out and this is the cost of their success. 

happy to get the cash at the expense of their league position? I think not 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's easy to beat the club when we sell players at a fraction of their top valuations. Aarons and Cantwell the best example

The problem is if the club sells the players at top value ie Buendia they are criticised with no ambition.. 

If Aarons ends up £12m that is great value  for a good reliable but no more player with less than a year on his contract 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

To what end? 

them and Sunderland had an unexpected great season last time out and this is the cost of their success. 

happy to get the cash at the expense of their league position? I think not 

Well, rather similar to us really. Soon as a player starts playing well we have to sell him to keep our club afloat due to our model.

59 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Live scenes in Cambridgeshire’s bedroom (aka the w**k den) when he sees my post 

21FE0B69-6C52-41FA-8BB8-173AE36C6CDF.gif

I’m sceptical that Cambridgeshire is a middle aged man of East Asian heritage and there’s a distinct lack of “nudey” imagery on the wall too… 

Gutted about Hamer, I really wanted us to roll the dice with him when we were promoted as an alternative to Skipp. I'd never really heard of him but my Cov season ticket supporting cousin was convinced we'd go for him and get him for around the £5 million mark back then and said he'd be fantastic for us. Whilst he wouldn't have given us the additional 20 odd points that would have kept us up, he'd have been a significant upgrade of the diabolical midfield options we had that year.

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Think you left your webcam on. 😉

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BigFish said:

This rather counts against the idea that we should be building for the future. Cov were within penalties of the EPL and now have lost their two key weapons. Rather than the promised land this looks like a long hard season that could see them fall through the trap door to League One. Although @Midland Canary has been assuring us that they are showing the ambition we should be demonstrating.

I’ll challenge you to a bet of your choice on that scenario occurring. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll challenge you to a bet of your choice on that scenario occurring. 

😀......there was a could in that there sentence @Midland Canary my friend. Or are you suggesting Cov are a top 6 side this year?

Just now, BigFish said:

😀......there was a could in that there sentence @Midland Canary my friend. Or are you suggesting Cov are a top 6 side this year?

Can’t see a top 6 finish now they’ve lost Hamer. Where are you placing them? 

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Hang on - isnt this one of those hairy bikers?

12 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

Hang on - isnt this one of those hairy bikers?

Dave Myers esquire 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, rather similar to us really. Soon as a player starts playing well we have to sell him to keep our club afloat due to our model.

You are getting the hang of it now! 

They were both out of contract the end of this season and Coventry had to pay a fee for each. The comparison with Aarons doesn't stack up quite the same.

For those in the mid range, not including the large amount we made for Emi or Maddison, Godfrey, the Murphys, Lewis and Aarons have made us decent money. I wonder if other clubs in our position can say the same?

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Because we opted to utilise the player rather than cash out when his stock was high, which provided us with 2 seasons in the prem league and 2 titles in the championship.

While it's unfortunate how the past two seasons went and have caused his value to drop, I wouldn't want to be Coventry in this comparison personally.

Couldn't agree more but some on here love to batter the club at every opportunity. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And you got Will Jennings essentially giving Webber a reach around saying what an amazing job hes done over it all.  Beggars belief...

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hamer looked like a £15m player on Sunday and Scott was the best player in the Championship last year. He will end up at a top club. 

If Sara can consistently play to to Hamer’s levels then a promotion run is on. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You are paddy davitt and I claim my £5 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Can’t see a top 6 finish now they’ve lost Hamer. Where are you placing them? 

Bottom half, never really troubling the play-offs but practically safe from relegation 6 games out.........but then again that's what I thought last year 🙂