Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Canaries V Red-Whites*

1 minute ago, pete said:

WAgner loves a multi subbing particularly one that fails to improve the team.

It's a friendly. And nothing on that subs bench will improve this side. 

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Nunez is so lightweight in midfield. Gives the ball away, gets caught in possession, gives hospital passes. I don't see that one good ball per game makes up for that.

Must admit, most of the others have looked comfortable but he  looks hurried too many times.

• Like 1

Think this is exactly what we'd have wanted from a final pre season, I think its clear though there's definitely a preferred starting XI.

Nice finish by Rowe, shame it's called offside as it certainly didn't look it.

Did I hear 'Webber Out' chants?

Just now, sgncfc said:

Dare I say that Idah has played well or will I get called names?

Yes he's led the line well and nice flick to Rowe.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

You'll probably get called names but ..... he has played well.

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Did well. Made a nuisance of himself and won plenty of free-kicks.

Well, the Phoney War is over. And I have to admit looking much better than it did a month ago. But first let's see what happens when we hit reality.

Pre Season + and -

Positives

• Defensively looking a whole different proposition. We look strong, structured and hard working against both decent and some not so decent opposition. 
  • I think the new signings all look decent. Happy with them all.
  • I also think Johnny Rowe looks good. Can see him starting next week over Onel. 

Negatives

• I have worried and continue to worry where the ammunition will come from. Can't see this is a side that will create the sort of chances needed to trouble the top six. 
  • The squad is also paper thin. Placheta at left back and McCallum in center back is really concerning. Beyond the first XI I see a real lack of anything that's likely to make a difference to any game. 
  • Our weakest position is comfortably left back. Giannoulis is a player I'd have actively sought to move on.

The Uglies

• What is going on with Tzolis? He's not a player I'm very optimistic for - but to banish him today to play in the U23s is bizarre.  
  • Like 2

Absolutely hate pre season friendlies. Glad that's over with.

The gloves come off next week and we see where we really are and if and what we need to do in the remainder of the transfer window.

Looking fairly positive, but will be interesting to see how we play if the opposition scores first and we have to chase a game.

Tzolis was excellent in the last 40 minutes v Toulouse. His absence today therefore very strange.

I think we will need Nunez or Sara in the role behind Sargent to provide extra creativity. I suspect it will take a few weeks to work that out. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The Uglies

• What is going on with Tzolis? He's not a player I'm very optimistic for - but to banish him today to play in the U23s is bizarre.  

Would be surprised if we don't get a quote on this from Wagner in his post match press. I expect it's just a case of wanting to give him a full 90 before next week.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Negatives

• The squad is also paper thin. Placheta at left back and McCallum in center back is really concerning. Beyond the first XI I see a real lack of anything that's likely to make a difference to any game. 

Don’t really agree with that, if anything the squad has too many in it.  In defence we have looked pretty good but do also have two out injured, and if Aarons and Rashica leave we have scope to strengthen if we want to (neither appearing yet in preseason).  
Trying things in a preseason game (that you win) makes perfect sense - for instance, having a look at Placheta at lb.

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Jon Rowe RW, Onel H LW.  Might not happen.

Pretty sure Fassnacht will start. Rowe looks considerably better than Onel.

Not the same creativity in the middle, but we look much more threatening on set-pieces all of a sudden. Sara's not in the Vrancic bracket on free-kicks but we look much better than we have in a long time when it comes to hitting corners and free-kicks in from wide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Pretty sure Fassnacht will start. Rowe looks considerably better than Onel.

Yup although I still think Wagner will go with Hernandez for at least the beginning of the season.

20 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The Uglies

We had five wingers in the squad (including Placheta, who came on at full back) so didn't really need a sixth. One of them had to miss out, and I guess it shows where Tzolis is in Wagner's thoughts that it was him. 

• Like 1

Nice final run out, time., time for the real stuff next week against another side hoping for  a strong season. 

Think the starting line-up I'd want next week would be Gunn; Stacey, Omobamidele, Duffy, Giannoulis; Fassnacht, McLean, Sara, Rowe; Barnes; Sargent.

• Like 1